Coachchristmas exchange

T Jan 20, 2019

I am a repeat customer having purchased at least $30K over the last 5 years. Never would have I would have thought that Coach would allow itself to become as petty as a rank & file brand and allow its millennial store staff to diminish its brand equity. Recently purchased my wife a bag for Christmas which I purchased on Nov 15. Initially I was completely discounted by the all to over the top extreme "too rainbow" sales associated whom assumed that I was a nobody with no proceeds. He gave me the "glance" and dismissive stare and had the balls to suggest I try K-Mart. Hey alright, I was wearing short and looked like a [censored], but that doesn't allow you to speak to me like I am a [censored]. Another sales associate actually had the professional decorum to apologize, calm me down and facilitate the sale - however upon inquiry advised me in no uncertain terms that the holiday return policy was 30 days from Christmas day. Great, gave my wife the bag, in addition to a new XT5 Cadillac, and various other items and jetted off to Mexico for New Years.

Today we returned to the Coach store at the Willowbrook mall in Wayne NJ only to be advised that we missed the return / exchange period by 5 days and that my qualification to exchange actually terminated on 12/15. I cordially advised that I was advised in no uncertain terms otherwise that we only wanted to exchange the bag (which incidentally was still in its original packaging, unused, brand new) FOR A MORE EXPENSIVE BAG and for which I was happy to pay the difference over and above the $700 I had already paid. I was advised that it was too late and there was no recourse. I tried reasoning and asking if it was good policy to loose a return customer whom would most likely spend even more money as opposed to bending policy over a mere 5 days. I was advised it was too late, no recourse.

Extremely upset, I took immediately took my wife to Chanel at the mall at Short Hills, NJ. I bought her a new bag at $2, 500 in spite of Coach's petty crap. When I inquired as to their exchange policy, the sales associate advised; " this is Chanel, if you have any issues just return and we will handle it however you would like", I was STUNNED. I asked about timing and the associate politely chuckled. Chanel I was advised is "timeless". And then she stated with a smile: "you would have the same experience with Louis Vuitton or Fendi, I CAN'T SAY THAT FOR COACH".

So the next time the Coach execs are trying to figure out why their share price is slipping or why they holiday sales are off - this is the reason. Sales 101, your customers make your business.