Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Clothing, Shoes & Acc Clarks Soles fall apart!

Clarks  -  Soles fall apart!

Author of the complaint
11:42 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am writing to tell you how disappointed I have been in the quality of Ecco and Clark shoes. The soles just fall apart. Often leaving me in a precarious and even hazardous position. Therefore I'm forced not to purchase your shoes, even though I like them. I believe it is a problem with your materials used on the rubber soles. I am sorry. I am forced to buy your competitors products even if at a higher price point. Mephistos don't have this problem. I am hoping these company's will do something to correct this problem.
It's happened on every pair whether worn or not. They disintegrate. Some sooner then others.

A disappointed customer!

Clarks - Poor quality
Clarks - Bullying, rudeness and racism
161 comments
May 19, 2022 10:37 am EDT

Second pair that have sold that have disintegrated

May 16, 2022 4:37 pm EDT

Mine too

Sep 06, 2021 5:40 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am also disgusted with Clark's sandals. I will never buy another pair. They used to be comfortable quality shoes and I have pairs that I still wear occasionally which are over 20 years old. I have had over a dozen pairs bought more recently which have fallen apart and crumbled (which is extremely messy). Sometimes it is the first or second time I have worn the sandals, and they have been stored in boxes in my closet. They have clearly changed their manufacturing materials or process, and now only produce crap! It is pointless contacting Clark's because the last few times they have not even responded to me and if they do, they will fob you off. I am so done with them and will NEVER buy Clark's again!

Jan 20, 2020 6:45 am EST

Hi
Having failed to get Clark’s to refund or replace my shoes when they fell apart after returning the shoes to the store I purchased them from and contacting customer services, I emailed their CEO
( mailto:[email protected] )
explaining my complaint in addition to the £10 I initially received I managed to get a further £50 Gift voucher. Not complete satisfaction but a reasonable outcome.

G
Jun 20, 2020 11:01 pm EDT

I have had a few pairs of Clark's completely crumble and detach from the upper shoe. I was on a business trip when I had a pair completely fall apart. I was mortified that I looked like such a slob. My hotel was not close to where I was taking a class. I had to ask someone drive me to a shoe store for a new pair. Unfortunately, I had a few more pairs that were doomed; the soles decomposed. The uppers looked brand new. In one case I had only worn the shoes a few times; however they were in my closed a few years. Still not acceptable. If I see Clarks, I keep going. I like the styles, the leather, the uppers look near perfect. Shoe repair said they could not repair.

May 09, 2019 8:48 pm EDT

First of all, I have only worn out one pair of shoes in my entire adult life and keep my shoes for a long time. Just had my Clark’s leather Mary Janes that looked brand new, had only been worn a few times, bite the dust! I’ve owned them for many years, but, as with other casual shoes in my closet, haven’t worn because until I recently retired, I mostly wore dressy shoes. I was wearing them in my kitchen and noticed they were sticking to the floor. Then I noticed black pieces of sole on the floor. I took them off and both soles completely pulled away from the leather uppers. The shoes, up until that moment, looked brand new and showed no signs of wear. The same thing happened to my Clark clogs and sandals a few years ago, although I got a lot of wear out of those. I thought I had actually worn them out since they literally fell apart as I was wearing them. Obviously Clarks isn’t going to change their materials, so our only recourse is to stop buying their shoes. Maybe if they lose enough business they’ll change their product. I do have 2 pairs of Clark Cloudsteppers that seem to be holding up so far. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find shoes that fit as well as Clark’s.

Mar 10, 2021 6:24 pm EST
Replying to comment of Tiagn

I just had the exact same thing happen to me. I couldn't believe it. Never thought that would happen with a pair of Clarks. Very disappointed!

Dec 19, 2018 6:56 pm EST

I just put on a pair of Clark's that I have only worn three times. I went shopping and they literally fell to pieces. This is the third pair that have fallen apart like this. I called Clark's and they told me since I have not worn them that is why they fell apart. I have shoes that are 15 years old and they are still intact. I told the lady I would never buy another pair of Clark's again. Her reply was fine. This company does not care about their customers. I will tell everyone I know not to buy these shoes. Within the last three years the shoes have gotten really bad. Wherever they have them made must not care about quality.

C
Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Is this something the Better Business Bureau should be looking into? We’re talking a lot of complaints here, and no one seems to be feeling good about the response from Clark’s. I’ve lost four pair of shoes to this wierd disease of the sole separating from the uppers, and how do we know that shoddy merchandise isn’t still being sold?

Nov 05, 2018 2:46 pm EST

My 4th pair of Clarks to disintegrate while wearing them. So through with this company!

Jun 22, 2018 1:16 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Like a lot of people on here, I have been a Clark shoe fan for many years, not anymore.
I have been trying to get resolution to a pair of shoes that the seam stitching came out of. I sent the info they initially requested, then I was requested to send pics with the same info, then I get an email saying they want the shoes shipped to their warehouse for evaluation at MY cost. This has been going on for several weeks, I'm done with it. I will take the loss and never purchase another pair of Clarks shoes.

Oct 08, 2018 2:19 pm EDT
Replying to comment of Lmacalis

Did you get any resolution? I have a pair of mens slippers that have fallen apart.

Oct 08, 2018 2:44 pm EDT
Replying to comment of Pam Gentry

No, I never heard from them again.

May 07, 2018 10:00 am EDT

Always loved Clark shoes until the soles started falling apart and just crumbling. Will not be buying anymore because of this problem. I have owned over forty pairs and at least ten of them have had this problem. Put on my favorite pair a few days ago and the sole completely disintegrated as I was walking into a store. Clarks should reimburse me for these shoes. I have never had a problem with any other brand.

May 05, 2018 10:27 pm EDT

I am really disappointed, In the past 2 years I have had to throw out 6 pairs of my Clarks!~ It seems to all be the clog style or sandal style where there is the rubber type sole where the leather is visibly stitched to it. The sole disintegrates and cracks right off! These shoes were not worn out and I have a bunch of other pairs left...Others with a different sole style seem to be fine, But I can no longer buy my favorite shoes. Just ridicules. I see it is a common problem. Clarks should step up and take care of it. we'll see.

Dec 12, 2017 12:34 pm EST

I have purchased three pairs of Clark shoes. All three have suffered the same plight. The upper part of the shoe is in excellent condition but the stitching pulls away and the bottom comes off. WHY? This has happened THREE TIMES. I will never buy Clark's shoes again

Oct 10, 2017 4:13 am EDT

I too have got 2 pairs of mules fell apart on me I had onther pair which I throw away but now to have 2 pairs go in 1 day I am in my 60s and walk with a stick I was very lucky someone caught me and had to lend me a pair of slippers so I could get home.

Sep 24, 2017 5:40 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

For decades I have been a faithful wearer of Clarks sahara boots, men's shoes and sandals. The last couple of years, the quality went downhill. The main reason for writing my complaint is, that I wore Clarks hiking boots model number 3718, made in Slovenia, for two winters and now the man made soles are delaminating from the leather uppers. A square pattern in the centre of the heels fell out of the sole and left me with an exposed foam like innersole. The sole tread is like brand new. The leather uppers are fine, but it became impossible to use these boots. I was on a hike when part of the sole separated from the shoe so abruptly, that it became instantly dangerous. I don't know if Clarks can do something about it, but I am seriously considering other make of boots and shoes.

U
Sep 16, 2017 10:19 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have 5 pairs of Clark Shoes and all are doing the very same thing! I was at work and saw all this black stuff all over the floor, when I got up to walk my soles fell apart, embarrassing to say the least! Didn't have any shoes to replace these. After looking at all my other shoes, they were doing the very same thing. I've never heard of anyone else with this problem. I was going to take them back to Clark shoe store, to no avail. Clark's has definitely lost me as a customer as well as all the other people I have told. If other companies can make comparable shoes without this problem, why can't Clark's?

E
Sep 08, 2017 10:48 am EDT

Today I have had the worst experience with Clarks CS. Infact, instead of addressing my problem, the manager, who was so rude, threatened to block me making future purchases at Clarks and started insulting me.

So long story short..on August 27 I placed an order of two pair of shoes at Clarks.com. On the same day, I placed an order at Zappos.com. I put my address on both sites. The Zappos order was delivered in less than 3 days. Today is September 8 and I am still waiting for the Clarks order. So this morning I went to check on the tracking information and realized that my shoes were shipped to CA. I don't live in CA. So I called Clark's CS, got a female rep, explained to her my dilemma. She was polite, but told that they cannot help me, I have to find where the shoes were delivered and retrieve them myself. I told her I cannot do that and I don't even her the phone number, but she insisted that it's the only way she could help me.. still polite. Then I ask to speak to the manager. The manager (male) was very rude. He repeated the same thing the female CS had told me. And then I told him that since they are not helping me, I will try to work with my credit company and that's when he'll broke loose. He told me he would block me from Clarks, he would report me to the credit reporting agencies (I don't know for what reason) and told me that I don't want to pay for the shoes that I purchased (which is confusing because I made an order online, paid $260, but have not received the shoes) ... and he continued ranting demeaning words. It's at this point I decided to hang up the phone.

I am very disappointed in Clarks. Of course, I am not going to shop there again. I will spread the word to my students, colleagues and friends on fb.

For anyone reading this nessage. Learn from my experience and be careful when shopping at Clarks. To say the least they have horrible CS of any company in US. Many companies with similar attitude have failed and management at Clarks better retrain it's CS reps and floor managers.

Disappointed customer in PA

Jun 06, 2017 8:08 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

my soles on my sandals cracked and fell apart

W
May 16, 2017 9:13 am EDT

I am very surprised to see the same complaints go on for years and the company still doesn't give a flip about past loyal customers. I have lost 4 pair of Clarks now to sole deterioration; all had expensive leather uppers in excellent condition. What a waste. Obviously the soles are created from some cheap composite material and the company must surely be aware of this by now. I guess they can afford to lose previous customers to new, unsuspecting victims who are paying $80 plus a pair. We all need to call and complain to the stores that sell them, and also QVC, which should be just as responsible for passing this trash off onto its customers. I am also going to call Zappos and tell them why they just lost a $100 order when I saw the shoes I almost bought were Clarks. If the stores that sell Clarks see they are losing business, maybe they will help put pressure on them to change. I know we all work hard to have nice things and we expect them to last. Consumers need to start fighting back. I am sick of paying good money for trash that looks like a good product when I buy it, then it falls apart. The U.S. is being ripped off by foreign companies who couldn't care less about quality. They just make money off of us and send garbage products. Unfortunately, I see no end to this. Gone are the days of pride in what one produces. Gone are the days of me purchasing Clarks, too.

Apr 09, 2017 10:13 am EDT

Three pairs over a good 20 year period - in all cases the same failure - sole split away from upper. I believe the first pair I bought at LL Bean in Freeport. The other two were from a Clarks store. I assumed the first failure was just wear - I had those for a long time but the uppers were still like new. I asked about re-soling them and they said the model was discontinued and not possible to repair it. I ended up tossing them in frustration - this was before the web became so easy to find info. The second two pairs were Naturveldts which were so highly rated you would have thought they would last forever. My newer pair failed 3 years ago and my slightly older pair failed just recently - both of these I only wore occasionally and the uppers were like new. The second pair I tossed out as well, not thinking they may be repairable or that Clarks might have a recall on them and offer replacements. Well, after the third failure just recently, I did not toss them out, I took photos and sent them to clarks via facebook and the only reply I got was a 50% off code to use for any new pair. Frankly, it is insulting. After spending well over $300 for shoes I expected to last me forever based on the occasional usage, they give me a code to save $60-$70 while spending another $60-$70 or so for a new pair that I fear will also prematurely fail.

Mar 13, 2017 10:12 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Just an update onb what finally happened with Clarke Shoes. I wrote (Emailed) the General Manager, he/she did not want anything to do with a complaint and passed it to a Minion who wrote to me some two months later. The letter was very condesending and gave no compassion for the customer whatsoever, they upped the offer by £15 but all I wanted was a replacement pair of shoes fit for purpose, not a voucher I had to spend on another pair of RUBBISH SHOES by CLARKE. With the amount of complaints I have read on Facebook and on many review sites all relating to exactly the same problem I would have thought that the Business would have got the message by now that their are thousands of potential customers of Clark shoes out there that have been put off by this inbuilt fault in the shoes production, if they think that loosing that many customers is fine, one day they will find their will be n more customers that want to be ripped off by Clark Shoes.
I read the reply from Gilbert Alvaro and I would like to guess that he works for Clark Shoes and not a customer of them for his reply is almost the same as in the shop I went to, maybe its part of Clark Shoes training package. By the way my pair were sent to BBC Watchdog who have told me because of the amount of complaints it may well be featured in the next series.

G
Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am EDT

One reason i see is some customers preferred discounted pairs which are usually a collection of old stocks..You need to wear them frequently not to keep them not in use.

H
Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm EST

I have many pairs of Clark shoes both sandals, clogs, sport shoes
. I do not wear these every day I have some for many years and this particular shoe is not worn very much. It still looks brand new so I was very up happy when I went to wear them and they were pulled apart not one but both of them. thank you for any help you can be.

Helen Stuller

1369 N>Mitchner Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46219

Nov 14, 2016 7:16 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My wife purchased a pair of Clarkes shoes for my birthday last August (2016) at a cost of £75, last week the lower sole split from the upper sole along the length of the shoe. I took them back to the outlet shop in Freeport Braintree, where the under manager was polite and understanding, but as I had no reciept all she could do was offer a £10 voucher to spend in store, when I wanted the shoes replaced with ones "Fit For Purpose". As these were not cheap and named "Activa Air" you would have expected them to be used on activities and the air cushioned sole be resilient to usage. I did not accept the £10 voucher, but as I said she was helpfull giving me the store code, phone number of customer services and the fault which really needs explaining to you all buying shoes from Clarkes.
I was told by two members of staff in the aforementioned store that this is a common fault with footware, they asked me if I kept my shoes under the stairs or in a box, I said in a wardrobe! They told me that was the problem as the light does not get onto the shoe it deteriates and what happens to the shoes are they fall apart "as they would in a landfill" I was quoted, The name given by Clarkes for ths amazing phenominum is "Hydrollisis" She wrote it down for me.
I have been trying to contact Customer services for three days so far and all you get is "Sorry please call again later as we are experiancing problems beyond our control"
So all you people please be aware that if you buy shoes from Clarkes by the time you get them home they may be deteriating already, as the shoes I have that are Useless have been worn around a dozen times. Not a bad return for Clarkes either Buy a pair for £75 find they are faulty take them back to be offered a £10 but still have to spend it with them, so they win every timein the never ending circle of "Hydrollasis"

K
Oct 10, 2016 1:14 pm EDT

I purchased Clark's shoes because they previously had a good name in shoes, but now I find that my Clark's and my Propet shoes have a disease that causes the soles to disintegrate! I am thoroughly disgusted with both brands. You pay a good price for shoes and before they can barely be worn, they are GONE. I feel the Company should make this good. We are the victims! I had the soft rubber all over our car mat, carpet in our home. on our hard floor, and EVERYWHERE, UNTIL WE SAW IT, AND REALIZED IT WAS MY SHOES, WITH BOTH PAIR. I have 2 more pair with the same type sole. They are Diabetic shoes, and I do not want to lose them.

Aug 30, 2016 7:28 pm EDT

I purchased around 12 pairs of Clarks Leather Clogs from QVC (called springer/accordion heel). These are 1-1/4" -- which are the most comfortable for me. I also have many, many pairs of other brands of shoes so I don't wear each one that often - but the Clarks were each around 7 years old. A couple of years ago to 2 months ago, 6 pairs of my Clarks Clogs separated -- the top leather part where the ball of my foot is - separated from the "cheap" sole. Obviously, they were glued (not sewn). I'm still wearing 4 pairs of Etienne Aigner Leather Loafers, which I purchased 15 years ago from a local store. I'm also wearing my many pairs of Birkenstocks/Birkies - clogs and sandals --- which are 4 years old to 10 years old. I did have 2 pairs of Born leather shoes separate after many years, which I bought in a local store. Again - I keep all my shoes in a customized closet in my master bedroom -- on shelves - out of boxes. My shoes are all in perfect condition. Clarks seem to be the WORSE offender - as they changed the process of making their shoes. I love when they go on QVC and talk about how the company is over 100 years old - and from England. They need to change their script to: Our crappy shoes are now made in Asia and we use cheap quality materials - like faux leather - and we glue the shoes together. We make it look like they were sewn - but we like to fool the public. The soles/heels are made of faux leather (actually cheap plastic) that will crumble - sometimes it's after one wear - and sometimes, it's after several years. We want to surprise our customers! Also, our shoes used to cost around $50 a pair --- so we doubled the price since Clarks is a VERY GREEDY company. I'm now left with about 6 more pairs of Clarks Leather Clogs (accordion heel) - and when I wear them, I keep checking to be sure they're in one piece. The most recent time when my shoes separated - I was at the dentist's office, sitting in the chair having my teeth cleaned. My left shoe was dangling and I looked down --- and the shoe separated. Fortunately, I was only a 10 minute drive home. The dental hygenist and I had a good laugh -- but it wasn't funny.

F
Aug 03, 2016 12:22 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

The soles of My Clark loafers completely cracked and disintegrated, leaving chunks of sole and stains on my carpet. Because the style was from 2004 customer service rep said this was to be expected and that "lots of people like to complain online" . All he offered were coupons for money off on a new pair (which I will never ever buy..DONE WITH CLARK! (..of course I have never had a problem with any other shoe brand, keep my shoes for many years and take excellent care of them, only wearing them a couple times a year. Will be posting on Facebook and Twitter so every one is aware of this shoddy product and customer service attitude

K
Jul 11, 2016 4:09 pm EDT

Love Clarksville shoes . They are so comfortable but the wear is terrible. I bought two pairs of Clarks shoes. One pair was Clarks bendables May Phlox leather. A237920 on 1-10-14. I wear a medium width . The top stitching on these shoes broke apart. I don't have a wide foot. The other pair I bought from QVC I don't know when I bought them. The sole came apart from the shoe on the side. I'm a senior citizen and I can't keep spending the high prices if there are not going to last. Just found my other pair of shoes. The number inside the shoe 66852 7 1/2 M 0813. They are so comfortable but are unable to wear them . You can check with QVC to double check that I did buy them. I need some compensation please. The May Phlox color is bronze 7 1/2 M and the black 66852 is 7 1/2 M.

Jun 03, 2016 10:41 am EDT

Add me to the list of Clark's that were like new and the heel just disintegrated. Shoes are several years old but like new, only worn six or seven times. I thought I caused it but now I see they just use inferior materials. Very disappointed, as these were not cheap. Going to see if they'll issue a replacement. Luckily I only own two pair but I can already see issues starting with the second pair as well. Hopefully they'll resolve this! What's worse is that they are still selling inferior shoes, several years later. Tried adding photos but it's not letting me.

May 30, 2016 11:05 pm EDT

My 38 yr. old daughter's Clark's shoes fell apart completely...both of them...as she attended "Wicked" last night. She had to carry them back to the car when the play was over, humiliated. These shoes are #74355-07/06 and have been worn only about 4 or 5 times and were well cared for.
I've never seen anything like this with a pair of shoes in my life. No more Clark's for us and I'm posting pictures of the disintegrated shoes on FaceBook! This is outrageous.

May 14, 2016 8:22 pm EDT

My wife and I were out having dinner with family when we noticed a bunch of black chunks of stuff on the floor under her chair at the restaurant. It turns out the soles of her shoes were disintegrating. She had to walk back to the car without her shoes because they were falling apart.

I'm adding pictures here of the shoes which were Indigo by Clarks.

It's bad enough the shoes fell apart but it was actually very embarrasing too as there were people sitting all around us who probably noticed our little situation.

May 08, 2016 6:00 pm EDT

72788-02/07 big surprise at mother's day dinner when my left shoe was leaving a trail at the restartant. Now I read that it's not the first sole to disintegrated from Clark'St inventory.

May 05, 2016 1:59 pm EDT

My complaint is a bit different than others I see on here. I contacted Clarks about the fact my new shoes after only wearing them about 30 minutes on an errand had already rubbed and blistered top of right foot to where it was bleeding. The stitching inside I found to be very rough. They told me to send my info and photos which I did, one showing injury to my foot. Did not hear back, so called and was just told I would have to PAY to return, that they would look at them and THEY would determine if shoes caused this (and that this would take 4 months) ... And then IF they determined what I say is true maybe they will send another type of similar shoe. Are you kidding me! No more Clarks for me. I just looked up to see if member of BBB so I could send them a copy of this ridiculous email and ran across this complaints link..Wow ...and guess what ...they are not even...a member of Better Business Bureau.

Aug 10, 2011 7:14 pm EDT

I have a pair of Clarks mules that are in almost new condition. All of a sudden the whole outer side of one shoe came apart. It wasn't just the stitching. The part of the sole that the stitching is stitched to came off like a piece of spaghetti. I was going to lunch from work and I had to immediately go and buy replacement shoes.

Jun 03, 2014 9:14 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Just been insulted by clarks assistant who had the psychic ability to tell me that my 6 months old trainers - worn almost exclusively indoors - had disintegrated in the same two places on both shoes because i obviously step the heal down when putting them on - she and her psychic experts had all concluded back of shop before telling me, because of course, they know my shoe wearing habits better than i do. Having challenged her assumption, she persisted with a knowing righteous smile that it was clear that i do this and should have used a shoe horn. My indignation, having challenged her for making unfounded assumptions, was compounded by her continuation of her accusation. She, of course she told me, sees it all the time and has worked there for years. Shame she hasn't yet got the experience of life to question her own preconceptions and examine her short comings in attitude, which is usually a step on the road to more humble wisdom. As for the shoes, they said they were worn and would not replace them. Of course they were worn, what else do you do with shoes : - ) . It doesn't mean you expect the quality of 'clarks' shoes to 'reasonably' only last 6 months before disintegrating. The fact was the soles of course were worn, however, the integrity of the leather shouldn't have split in the same places on both shoes where no pressure is applied. I had held clarks in great esteem. It is very sad to conclude that they are on the decline and can no longer be trusted either for the integrity of their products or their staff and customer service. Will never purchase from clarks again. Be warned!

C
Sep 07, 2012 10:31 am EDT

I purchased a pair of sandals a year and a half ago. I seldom wore them due to color issues. When I went to wear them this past week, I noticed the heel seemed to be shredding. When I went to look closer, and bent the sole a bit, every where I bent them, they just broke right across the sole. Is this a problem you have often? I have 2 other pairs, 1 pair I wear frequently (3 yrs) and 1 infrequently, but they are fine.
Please advise before I purchase any more.

B
Mar 07, 2016 8:45 pm EST

I have two pair one hardly worn just picked them up in the closet top completely separated from the sole threw the other pair out as they had also come apart. Belk sells them as their best seller ?!

H
Jul 09, 2015 3:12 pm EDT

I have a pair of Clarks Shoes.
That I probably didn't wear 4 times
and the heels just crumble apart.

Feb 23, 2016 9:27 pm EST

Obviously, they haven't fixed the problem. These complaints are the same for the past 6-7 years. One change might be that now they are offering 25% off. I will have to join the ranks of FORMER Clarks customers. I currently have 9 pairs. Ouch.

Feb 11, 2016 6:23 pm EST

My Clark sandles stick to the floor like a suction cup. Very hazardous.

R
Feb 04, 2016 6:29 pm EST

I can't believe my three pairs of Clark's mules have come apart. Took them to get repaired and it was not possible. I had to throw them away. I had bought them because of their comfort and style. Now, I'm scared to buy more because of this problem. I surely don't want this to happen to me again. (It happened on the way to a party). I really hate to give them up, but will probably have to if they don't correct this problem.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

184 complaints