Choice Home Warrantybig scam

H Review updated:

My company has been doing business with Home Warranty's for over 30 years. We recently signed on with Choice Home Warranty and while the majority of Home Warranty's are honest, I can tell you that Choice is not. Each and every time we call for approval we get the same run around by the same authorizer ( which sounds like some high school kid working out of his bedroom ) and each time he stumbles across various reasons not to cover the claim. This not only makes the customer mad but makes the contractor on the job look like a crook too. My last attempt to have a claim approved was answered by the same BS. I responded to the authorizer ( while in front of the customer, which I shouldn't have ) like a father scolding his 15 year old child. And guess what, I got the approval. We have since refused to work with Choice anymore. I highly recommend a Home Warranty. But not Choice. There are 3 Home Warranty's that I would recommend in this order ... The Warranty Group ( TWG ), 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty, and HMS. We've worked with many Home Warranty's and have found these 3 to be the most honest and to have a good contractor relationship. So, Stay away from Choice Home Rip-off. I truly expect to see them on Dateline or 20-20 or some news show soon.

• Be
    betty williams Nov 12, 2008

They are very quick to add sugar and cream to coffee with out asking and when they add they give more cream and sugar then coffee. when you ask for cream and sugar to the side they act as if they don't want to give it to you.

• Za
    zandar Feb 03, 2009

Hilarious! This has to be the best post on this site! I thought the one about the guy who swore someone else had taken a bite out of his half-eaten pizza, and was preparing to sue them, was the best.

This totally trumps that one. Pure awesome awesomeness. You just can't make this stuff up!

Lance Quick Jan 26, 2019

@zandar I agree 💯% I don't know why people can't just Be Content with Life, People Gripe about Everything,
    I personally think that people would probably be Much Happier if they'd just quit their bitching about the little shit and move the f**k on with their life... Yes, McDonald's Coffee is (too Hot)... It's Freaking Coffee! I know that if I order A Coffee, (Hot)
    I'd expect it to be that way!
    This Next part is for the People who Bitch about EVERY Little Thing;
    LIFE IS LIFE... NOT GOOD, NOT BAD, IT'S JUST LIFE!!!
    YOU'RE BORN WITH NOTHING AND FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!
    YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE... ENJOY YOUR TIME ON EARTH, LAUGH, SMILE, JOKE AROUND, LEARN TO PLAY AGAIN, LIKE WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG. My Point, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO A FUCKING THING EXCEPT PAY TAXES... AND DIE!!!
    So Please try to Smile and say Hello the next time you see someone you don't know but pass by, Get along with your neighbor, Live by the commandments, (as much as you can anyway), And just Get Along with the people... Just think what the World would Be like if EVERYONE Would just have Patience and Compassion towards one another, instead of complaining and bitching about any and everything, Try it, Meditate if needed, Go to church and LISTEN, do whatever it takes to make YOU happy... Don't Rely on People, People are Flawed, Rely on Yourself and Our Lord God above!
    You'll find out that you'll be much happier than you are now! 😉😃
    Smile, believe it or not, it's Contagious and if you Smile and say hello to others and treat them as you would want to be treated, I Bet You Will Find Many others That Smile and speak Back To You!
    Bible= Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth... Read it, It's Definitely a Great Book! There's a way to read it, speak to your pastor and he'll Explain how and where to start.
    PEACE!!! ☮️✌️🕊️🤟🤗

JJJConsumer May 06, 2009

I have been wondering what there reputation was, from a contractor point of view. Thanks for your advise. Please feel free to join my Choice Home Warranty complaints group.

• Pa
    pamela amato Oct 25, 2017

@JJJConsumer Can a customer join your complaints group?

Choice Home Warranty Scam Jun 15, 2009

We are also a contractor (in Las Vegas) that has been doing business with home warranties for quite some time and we signed up with Choice home warranty months ago. They sent us a work order today for the 1st time & their work order looks exactly like National Home Protection, which turned out to be a complete scam as well. National Home Protection owes us thousands of dollars and thank you for having this online & saving us time, money & headaches. These 2 companies seem to have scamed a lot of people. We also recommend the below home wararnties but can you tell us who HMS is? We are also staying away from Choice Home.

Lance Quick Jan 26, 2019

@Choice Home Warranty Scam Xander I was agreeing with you, 💯% my comment wasn't toward you.

Concerned Consumer Jun 16, 2009

National Home Protection and Choice Home Warranty are the same. The owners of this companies are running a scam where they change names every two or there years. They yell at you when they see that you have provided to them all the ridiculous demands to have your items fixed. They denied all of mine, although I sent to them everything they requested. They have been around for 15 years I think and always change their names. If all of us unite and write Dateline complaining about them, maybe they'll do a show and get them out of business for good. Please help me on this crusade. I already contacted Dateline, but so far i have gotten no where.

Lance Quick Jan 26, 2019

@Concerned Consumer Call the Better Business Bureau in your area, or Contact and register a complaint to your attorney General, tell them exactly what you typed and said here. You can even call KMIZ 17 television station in Missouri and they will Investigate the problem as well.
    Good Luck.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Jun 17, 2009

We totally agree. How do we get this going with Dateline? These people are scaming a lot of customers & contractors.

Concerned Consumer Jun 18, 2009

I typed dateline in google. Then I chose the website, and under contact us, I sent them an email. Make it short and sweet, however demand your interest in seeing justice done. I told them to please look for themselves and google Choice Home Warranty and National Home Protection. I also told them to investigate all the complaints against them in the BBB and to research the owner's background and all the Home Warranty companies he has opened and closed. There is a police officer in New Jersey that called me when I was scammed a couple of years ago. I can forward his information as well, maybe he can do something now, since they have moved to New Jersey.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Jun 18, 2009

We will email Dateline ASAP. I cannot believe that a company like this has not been investigated before . What about all the other contractors that have done work & haven't gotten paid for the services provided. We are willing to do what it takes but need advice. We've contacted the district attorney in New York & they said this is considered a small claims although we have to file this in NY.

Concerned Consumer Jun 18, 2009

Let me find out the name of the New Jersey police officer that contacted me. He may be able to better guide us. When I tried contacting a lawyer, he wouldn't even see me. I talked to a representative from the BBB and he said this was out of their jurisdiction and that I needed to take it up to the a government official in my area. I am thinking maybe we need to write the gobernor or the mayor or some politician in New York? What do you think. Let's pick one and post it, so that other victims can follow. The owner of this company is running a scam and he needs to be stopped.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Jun 19, 2009

We've emailed DatelineNBC today & also filed a complaint with the BBB. I've tried to call National Home Protection but the number has been disconnected. How come the lawyer wouldn't see you? So how do we contact the governer or mayor of NY? I will look online.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Jun 19, 2009

We've emailed the New York Governor at the following address http://www.state.ny.us/governor/contact/index.html

Please do the same.

Concerned Consumer Jun 20, 2009

Thank you. I will do!

Concerned Consumer Jun 20, 2009

The lawyer wouldn't see me because the amount I wanted back was too small.

JJJConsumer Jun 23, 2009

Attorneys will not get involved because individually our claims are too small. I have forwarded my unpaid claim to the attorney general's office and will send a copy of our message board as well. With an unpaid lawsuit, the attorney general has legitimate cause to investigate this further...hopefully.

Maintenance Engineer Jul 03, 2009

You recomended HMS for home warranty service. I personsally have had some of the same issues with HMS as you desribed with Choice Home Warranty. I don't suspect HMS to be a complete scam as it seems Choice Home Warranty is being charged. I have had work performed, but with long waits, excessive charges, and rediculous phone calls and headaches. Search this site for HMS and you can see others that have had more trouble than me.I will not be recommending HMS in the future, and I think you should rethink your position on recommending HMS.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Jul 03, 2009

Actually, we didn't know who HMS was - we do work for the other ones. I did a search for HMS online but we are not taking on any new home warranties because of what happened with National.

JJJConsumer Jul 07, 2009

Folks - Listen clearly to this...The NY Attorney General's office has closed my complaint as "unresolved" because the company responded to my charges with some ridiculous excuses. The Attorney General's office will not pursue this any further unless the company gets a LOT more complaints. The case worker did not give me a magic #, but according to him, there are ONLY 7 other complaints on file with their office.

EVERYONE - YOU MUST FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE. Please download the form from their website, and fax it in ASAP!

• Wa
    Water heater claim lady2 Jul 22, 2009

Is this company in New Jersey or New York? The first contract they sent me has a New York Address. The one I received after I filed a claim (and was denied) has a New Jersey address. Do we complain in New York or NJ? Thanks for any help. I was denied for a water heater claim. Additionally, CHW had lied to me when I bought the contract. I was told my contract would start same day as payment but they sent me a contract with the 30 day delay. Such contract arrived 3 weeks after. So I was thinking I was covered and was not covered in the mean time. Thankfully nothing happened during that month but it did happen 3 weeks later when my water heater started leaking. Of course they say it is preexisting. I had a different insurance before but had not noticed any leak otherwise I could have put the claim with them earlier! I plan to follow thru with my complaint. I would appreciate any information. I am in California but will travel to NY or NJ if necessary to taken them to court.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Jul 31, 2009

If we could go to New York, we would to take them to court. Let us know exactly what to do & we'll be on top of it. We've sent an email to the New York Governor but no response yet. I will be contacting the local FBI to investigate National Home Protection which we believe are affiliated with Choice Home Warranty. I was told by Wells Fargo Fraud department to contact the FBI so we'll see what they do. These people need to be stopped.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Aug 24, 2009

Why does your work orders look exactly the same as National Home Protection? word for word? When I will be contacting the FBI - I will mention this so it can be investigated. Why is it such a pain to get approval from your company? We do a lot of work for other warranty companies and their process is so much easier & we are able to do more work for them because they are so much more efficient.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Aug 24, 2009

And also, we started getting work orders from Choice Home Warranty only and only when National Home Protection's phone number when "out of service" & would not respond by certified mail or fax...now that National is not paying us for services provided, this company is on the run & has scamed all these people of their policies & I believe that you "Choice Home Warranty" are this company continuing to scam the public.

• Je
    jerryskeips Oct 04, 2009

Im not sure what all these complaints are about, choice handled my claim from start to finish and did a pro job

• Northern Virginia
    I was a contractor for CHW and I have to say they are a bunch of crooks. I provided exceptional services to their customers. I showed up on time, and even fixed most appliances same-day. I have been calling them for 1 month and I am getting the run around on getting paid. They are supposed to pay net-30..pay in 30days..Its been almost 3months and I haven't received 1 payment. Every time I call them they keep saying the check has been sent out and it will arrive in 2weeks. Why 2 weeks? I don't live on the north pole, or the south pole. What can I do to get paid from this company? I am already gonna sue them. I was thinking about standing outside their office and picketing lol maybe someone will join me.

A/C & HEATING CONTRACTOR Nov 18, 2009

They are crooks - we agree - so was National Home Protection and Nationwide...look up National Home Protection, the New York Attorney General went after them...here is the link (http://www.oag.state.ny.us/media_center/2009/apr/apr27a_09.html). I think this company went on the run & they are doing the same thing to others in another state... be very careful doing business with new companies... we are no longer accepting work from any new home warranties... if I could stand outside their office, I would join you but I am in Las Vegas...Nationwide is the same and has not paid us since March (7 months)...they give the same story - the check is being processed and you should receive it in 2 weeks...what the ****!!!

• Cu
    Customer Service 101 Dec 08, 2009

Choice Home Warranty Approval Dept Managers should be FIRED!
    Never had a problem with the claims dept, great service.
    The problem is when the manager of approval/authorization, does not have customer service skills and does not take charge of his department, nor does he know how to delegate orders. On 12/8/09, I've been waiting 3 days for an appoval, Choice claim to be waiting for the Tech to call them, so customer did a three-way call and Choice still refused to resolve the issue. Customer asked if we could all disconnect and askd the Manager to call Vendor and he stated No. I will not be renewing any furture business with choice..WARNING!!!SCAM
    Filing complaint with BBB

• Hu
    Huynh Jan 15, 2010

I had the gas pipe leak in my house. The gas company came to check and shut down my gas.
    With the urgency of having children in the house, it's very difficulty to live without gas.
    I called CHW, they gave me the phone numbers of several contractors that not wanting to work for warranty customer. Each time, I have to wait for an hour before calling the contractor just to get disappointed result. The contractors are either not working in my area or not willing to work with Choice Home Warranty customer due to not getting paid. Then call CHW back to have the same problem repeat over and over again. I even begged them for urgency, but they never care.
    Two days later, I can't hold any more and called a local plumber company to fix the problem costing me $4500 out of pocket.
    I called back CHW asking for the reimbursement, they keep transfer me around for 7-8 times after getting my information. Then a gentlement finally promised to email me a claim form but never did.
    I called, email with cc to JMoss (the man claimed to be CHW president), and add message in the claim status but still no response.
    On their web site stating a-Ok with onlinebusinessbureau.com, but that bureau is a scam itself. I contacted that site to complaint about CHW but nobody bothers to look at my complaint. I then google search just to learn that onlinebusinessbureau is a scam.

• Ge
    GenA91 Feb 25, 2010

Don't buy a policy from Choice Home Warranty. They will run you thorugh document hell and not provide you service if your repair is beyond a simple repair. They were fine until I had a large problem that would cost them over $100, then the asked for records that went years back beyond the contract period...even further than my home ownership. Their goal was to shut me down, make me pay for the repair myself in hopes I would just go away. If you waste your money on one of their Warranties, you are throwing your money away!!!

JJJConsumer Apr 14, 2010

You are not the only one with problems from this company. Please check out my group - Choice Home Warranty Claims. They are formerly out of NY.

• Ob
    obetournay Jun 16, 2010

06/13/10 my sids by side refrigerator/freezer went out. On 06/14/10 I called Choice Home Warranty (CHW) and reported the problem. CHW gave me a claim number (449128470) and assigned All Around Maintance (AAM) to do the work and I called AAM and could only leave a message to return my call. 06/15/10 I did not get a return call from AAM and at 8:05 am I called AAM again and left another message. At 9:04 am I got a return call and was told by Ruby M. that she would get worker as soon as she could get one free. At 2:26 pm I called AAM and spoke to Ruby M. and she said that she has not been able to get a worker yet, but she will check again and call me back in 15 minutes! I received that return call at 5:30 pm.and the worker told her that he would be here by 5:30 this evening????? He came at 6:10 pm and did a few things in the back and tried to say that a part had installed at a earlier date. WRONG! The only thing that has ever ben done prior was the ice maker. The worker left saying that AAM will be contacting me tomorrow. 06/16/10 No call from AAM, so at 2:05 I called them and Ruby M. told me she did not have an excuse for not calling me back. Ruby said that the part cost $300.00 and she needed to gat approval from CHW. 2:15 I called CHW and they said that they had approved the purchase at 11:00 am this day and would call AAM to see what is going on. At 4:05 pm I got a call from CHW saying that the AAM worker said that a part (jump starter) had installed during a previous service by someone else and it is covered. As I said before this is a lie, only the ice make was worked on before.
    I am going to complain to the South Carolina A.G. and the BBB. I may not get any where but I have nothing to loose.

Oscar L. Betournay
    Sfc. E-7 USA Ret.
    [email protected]

• Wo
    Woohah Jul 26, 2010

All, you all need to contact your State Department of Insurance on these clowns. I have just filed a claim with the State of Alabama because they will not authorize the contractor to replace my compressor in my A/C unit outside. They said they need documentation of normal maintenance? WTF? You serious? Who has that? They have been giving me the run around for 1 week now and will not let the contractor do the work. I filed the complaint to the State and they 100% agree with me on this issue. If everyone were to file a complaint with the state, they will lose their licenses within the state and will be put out of business. This place is a COMPLETE SCAM!!!

• Ra
    Randal Hunt Oct 14, 2010

Well here's mine, add it to the list

GENIE GARAGE DOOR OPENER COMPLAINT
    CHOICE HOME WARRANTY

I purchased home warranty from this company 03/24/2010 acct# 562690332 and have been paying $36.50 per month since. I filed a claim on 10/11/10 for my garage door opener. A service guy came out on 10/13/10 and agreed with Genie who I had called that the problem was the main control board in the garage door opener. In the agreement it states for garage door opener, included: All components and parts, except, garage doors, hinges, springs, sensors, chains, travelers, tracks, rollers, remote receiving and/or transmitting devices.
    Choice home warranty is now telling me they will not cover this because it's the part of the main control board that receives the signal. It has nothing to do with the remote it's the main control board inside the unit. Genie Company that I talked to said this is the only component that controls the entire function of the unit. I have also paid the Service Company that came out $45.00 and now he won't return my calls.

• Al
    Aladdin Appliance Service Oct 15, 2010

Same issues as everyone else: slow pay, then no pay. Refuses to take phone calls; threatens legal action if you complain. Unfortunately, they have an arbitration clause in their contract, and a venue in New Jersey. HOWEVER, a class action claim might be possible, if there are enough contractors out there who have been scammed for a few thousand dollars each (like us!) we might be able to do something.

• Fa
    Fathima Oct 21, 2010

I am a customer from Trinidad West Indies. I bought a dress from my avon representative here in trinidad but wanted it exchanged for a smaller size.

After she enquired from who she deals with here in Trinidad, I was told that I would have to pay $68.00 in order to return the dress to have it exchanged.

I would like to know avon's exchange policy for customers here in Trinidad who purchase items from your representatives.

Thank you.

• Ki
    kingdee Dec 29, 2010

Choice Home Warranty is a FRAUD. They force you to pay for one year of service and basically offers nothing. I will not recommend Choice Home Warranty to anyone. Infact I will ask anyone I referred to cancel their contract. My heating system will not work and when I came he had to order some parts which I was told was going to take 2 - 10 business days (imagine that with temperatures at 20 degrees). A day after the technician called and told me Choice says they do not cover secondary damage (whatever that is) and that I have to pay for the items out of pocket. Can you believe that? I had the same issue with my first floor heating system and it was fixed with no out of pocket money when I was with American Home Shield. Choice Home Warranty is a FRAUD and I wish they go out of business.

• Ka
    kaye sanford Jan 28, 2011

I would stay away from twg home warranty service too. They refuse to pay for anything. I bought a older home so I knew I would run into something that would need a repair..First the central heat and air..would not cover b/c who it was made by. second plumbing issues..plumb said lines in the house were too small to run updated appliances..they called this a upgrade and would not help with it...this company is a scam...

• Vt
    vtl1972 Apr 05, 2011

I put in a claim for the Water Heater, they sent a plumber who request to replace because internal leaking. But they said they don't cover the tank even thought the policy said it cover all major parts. The main part of the water heater is the tank, if you don't cover the tank than what are you define here as "all major parts". I called to cancel the policy even thought I have 4 months left, but they said I don't have any money left on the policy. I have home warranty with other companies before but this is the worst company. Look at the policy to see what cover and what not and compare with other you'll see, there are a lot of major things they don't cover. All of the minor things they don't worth to put a claim in. Most of them you can fix by yourself and cheaper than the $45 service fee you'll have to pay up front. AVOID this company.

• 1f
    1forthe$$ Jul 09, 2011

I stuck with them for two years trying to allow for the human factor. In the end almost everyone of their employees are either uninformed or taught to go out of their way to stretch the case out. I was without a refrigerator for 9 weeks and eventually fixed it myself. One of the Appliance Repair Facilities is now coming after me for the full amount and I have to hire an attorney to represent my case. They don't work on weekends and at one time THIS IS NOT A JOKE I called to submit a claim and they said I couldn't because everyone was on vacation for two weeks. EVERYONE!!! What kind of company does this? The only thing I can say good about them is that when I cancelled my policy I received my residual of about $40 after 2 months which I didn't expect to receive at all. I could go on but really do I need to? If you have read this and some of the other postings and still try this company, all I can say is I can't wait to read your posting. The only way you will be happy with this company is if you have no warranty claims. Oh actually, they are very professional at the outset when it comes to signing you up and getting your money. Once they have it, they turn into a sort of Sanford & Son of Home Warranty Companies without the Son. What they need is an Attorney General to come down on them like a metric ton and shut them down!

JOCU Jul 18, 2011

Made a claim for AC repair. They sent a tech from Delta BAP AC repair who after inspection determined that there was no freon in system, a possible leak. He informed me that he would have to call CHW for authorization for repair. DeltaBAP reported back that company had informed him that they were placing my claim on the back burner.
    I called, they requested and I forwarded service records for unit, which indicated it was working properly in March during annual inspection.
    They then denied my claim in that there was a pre existing condition. I was unable to contact anyone in authroity and they did not respond to my letters. Made a claim to NJ BBB, CHW responded with a complete fabrication of any of the details.
    I called Delta BAP back and showed them the CHW response to BBB complaint, they assured me thatstatements attributed to them were a complete fabrication.
    I have had the unit repaired, there was not leak to the unit as stated by CHW. I have had Credit Card Company charge back last months service charge and requested a cancelation. As long as I didn't make a claim all was well. They just didn't want to service their policy. BAD GUYS...BAD BUSINESS
    If your looking for a warranty company ... keep moving on, this is not for you.

• Il
    Il Homeowner Jul 31, 2011

I agree in with the negative comments stated above. I have been with Choice only 2 months an I am out of $66 so far. Luckily I did not pay the total premium up front however I just called in a service call for HVAC and the technician will not come out because he says Choice is a scam and that they have not paid him for previous claims. I am in the process of trying to contact them for another technician however the number seems to be set up to disconnect when you want service. My credit card company is saying they cannot stop the auto pay which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, however I know that a resoulution will be reached on behalf of my case and all others who have fallen victim to this company.

• Ga
    GA HVAC Aug 01, 2011

OMG.. I wish I would have read this before we signed up with them... I too have been chasing them since May for payment.. and I have had it !!! We too work for other home warranty companies and have no probelms with payment EXCEPT this one.. they also don't cover anything for their customers.. always good with an excuse...I emailed them today and also left a voicemail.. that we ARE NOT going to go away... We are a small company and I be darned if I have to suck up $800.00 ...