Certegy Check Servicesdeclined checks!

L

My wife tried to cash a $22.00 check at Albertsons Grocery store and the check was declined. Upon talking to a manager in the store I determined that they are using a check verification service called Certegy. I located a phone number and called them with a response that there was no derogatory information about my checks and that I was declined due to my check writing profile. We are retired and hardly ever write checks since we do all our purchases by credit card. This experience of being turned down in a store full of people was very embarrassing for my wife. Albertsons gave her a $40 gift card in an attempt to get her back into the store since we are regular customers (she still will not return).

I am a member of the Board of Directors for America's Credit Union and there was never a question of available funds to cover my check. In talking to our Credit Union CEO his wife was turned by Certegy for the same reason when writing a check at T J Max . I was unable to contact a real person at Certegy but he CEO was able to get to a real person by continually punch numbers that did no exist on automated menu. He was told that he did not have sufficient funds to cover the check and he told them they were liars since he was the CEO and new that he had more than sufficient funds to cover his check.

I am still being ignored by Certegy and we are afraid to write more checks due to the embarrassment that we might endure. We need a class action suit to prevent these folks from doing what they are doing to honest hard working American citizens.

• Su
    Sue Whitener Jan 30, 2021

Went to dollar general today and wrote a check for my purchase since I did have debit card for 109.62. It was declined. I have only lived here for 5 years and never write checks but use debit card. Called and they said it was because of no check history. Are they serious? Will never return to dollar general as long as they use this service.

• Da
    DawnmarieB Aug 14, 2020

I tried to cash my unemployment check at Wal-Mart in portland Oregon. Totally embarrassed when I was denied due to Certegy! There is no reason I should have been! Went to my car and called the number provided just to get an automated recording trying to sell me crap. Couldn't talk to a live person !!
    Ridiculous. I need the money today. Spent too much time waiting in line at Wal-Mart and on the phone. Im angry as hell and dont know what to do

SASmith 20 Mar 15, 2020

A bank sent me a cashier's check for an IRA account I closed, and for some reason it was declined I can very much understand a personal check, but NOT a bank drawn cashier's check. Walmart is loosing aloy of business because of this machine or could it be the cashier putting in the wrong information?????

• Walmart denied my 401k check
    Denied a payroll check

• Ta
    Tanya K. Sep 25, 2019

Certegy is such a joke. I went to JC Penny and wrote a check that was declined. I called my bank and I had more than enough money to cover the check. Needless to say, before I do any business with any store, I will ask them if they do business with Certegy. If they do - they have lost my business.

• To
    Tosha Murphy Aug 06, 2019

I have tried to cash my payroll check and it gets declined! It is a payroll check! The number they give you to call never tells you the actual reason it is declined. People need the money they work for and when you get off work after banking hours there should be a place to cash it but this company runs every place around me!! What a joke!!

• Ba
    BadWolf Access Oct 29, 2018

These 3rd party check verification services get away with this because ultimately it is the merchants decision to take a customers check or not. Certegy provides insurance by paying a merchant for the checks they approve so merchants seemed to have adopted blanket policies to only accept checks Certegy approves. The kicker is the "risk assessment" algorithym certegy talks about is designed only to keep Certegys risk at a minimum. So they only allow for a specific number of checks to be approved and total dollar amount to be approved in a 24 hour period. They absolutely do just arbitrarily block perfectly good checks as a safety measure for themselves and they dont care about the loss of sales to their clients(i.e. the merchants) nor embarrassing the consumers who are held responsible regardless of whether or not they are actually at fault. This is called a DDoS, or a direct denial of service attack upon consumers but since certegy is such a piece of [censored] THEY cover their [censored] by only "recommending" to the merchant in question to deny your check. But most cashiers and even store managers have zero understanding of what is actually happening and are ignorantly following a corporate policy that discriminates against their customers. I have been working on putting together a lawsuit that could hold certegy responsible because i do think they definitely bear responsibility but if the merchants stopped blindly following these stupid companies self serving recommendations the problem would fix itself. Basically certegy is guilty of maliciously spreading the defective information that caused the merchant to deny your check. Possibly slander or libel maybe or perhaps they could be even guilty of computer trespass since their defective information does interfere directly with a consumers ability to make legitimate purchase of goods and services using legal tender? Its just wrong regardless tho.

• Ka
    Kaelon Alvarado Oct 01, 2018

I am in the same boat as most of you. I had purchased a Western Union money order from a Fry's grocery store. I sent the M.O. off only to have it returned due to a change in the organization's change in policy regarding money orders. (looking back, I wonder if this issue is why they no longer accept money orders?)

The M.O. was returned to me at which time I returned to the same Fry's grocery store in attempt to refund it. It was declined. I attempted to contact CERTEGY per Fry's recommendation. After NUMEROUS attempts of going through the automated system, not given the option of speaking to a live customer representative, I was finally given that option. When I spoke to the person, she looked up my information and verified that the M.O. was valid and should be able to return to the store and cash it.

This was not the case as when I tried to do so was again denied. I have still yet to speak to anyone, including Western Union, that is able to help me with this situation. All suggestions that I've gotten all turn back to contacting CERTEGY.
    While this is nearly impossible, I have a M.O. with money on it that I cannot cash due to the lack of cooperation on the part of CERTEGY. I just don't know what else to do...

• Vk
    vklinglesmith Apr 12, 2017

Yesterday I went to JC Penney and wrote a check for less than $200. it was declined. Called the bank from the store, knowing that my account had plenty of money. The bank said there is nothing wrong on their end. Funds were there. The bank even spoke with the cashier at JC Penney. They ran the check two more times with the same results. I called Certegy, A company I never even heard of, and they were asking for all sorts of personal information.
    If a class action suits does come up, I want to be a part of it. Apparently from the difference in dates, this is a long on going issue with this company. I don't know why they haven't been shut down.

• Fr
    Francisco L Nunez Aug 26, 2016

Today I try to paid $13.43 with my personal check at Sedano's Supermarket located at 10720 West Flagler Street Miami Fl 33177, and my payment was rejected. I ask for information and the cashier was not able to give me any explanation why my check was rejected. I call my bank, Continental Bank of Miami, and they can't give any explanation because my account have enough funds and in good standing. I'm a customer with Continental for over 35 years, and is the first time that a check of mine have being reject. The Sedano's employee was not able with give an answer, but Certegy Check Services, Inc that rejected my check, is full responsible for the action and I request a FULL explanation why this action has being taken. My name and address are as follow;
    Francisco L. Nunez
    3631 SW 105TH Court
    Miami, FL 3316
    e-mail: panchitoco [email protected]
    House phone: [protected]
    Cel: 305 342 7690W
    Waitin for a full and satisfactory explanation,
    Francisco L. Nunez

• Do
    Doug Blazer Jul 15, 2016

My wife was declined while purchasing eyewitness at America's Best. I wrote America's Best to let them know I will no longer shop there. I tried to contact Certify online but could not get any response. I know my check was good and I have never as long as I have been writing checks had a check returned for ISF. I can see no reason for any business to use this company's service. I hope someone files a class action against them. This list of complaints has been going on for quite a few years.

• Ke
    kenneth boyles Jun 19, 2016

I'm interested in finding out if anyone is interested of opening a class action suit against Certegy, I'f yes please contact me I'd be happy to join, kenneth boyles.

• Ki
    Kimilynn May 31, 2016

I just experienced my check getting declined at Lowe's. I called Certegy and waited about 40 minutes to talk to someone and explained I had never had this happen. I was told I didn't meet their guidelines. I have never written an insufficient funds check and have been doing business with Lowe's since they opened. My husband spoke with the manager at Lowe's and was told they could not override Certegy. Needless to say I won't be back!

• Do
    Don Hopkins May 28, 2016

My wife and I just got home from Lowe's in Midland well we tried to pay for some appliances for our house but our check was declined buy Certegy. There is a toll free number to call so I called and they said that they could not really give me an answer as to why it was declined but put me on a VIP list and told me to try the purchase again and so we did after 10 minutes as they told us and was declined again so I called the number again and got someone else that I could barely understand and told him the same runaround and that I was already on the VIP list but that did not necessarily guarantee that my check would be accepted. I asked them if they were checking the verification of the funds and she said no we can't do that we're not a bank we just are a third party company who decides whether the check is declined or not. How in the hell can you decline the check if you don't even know if the damn things good. Now it's the weekend so we called Lowe's and told them our predicament and they said well we can't really hold your appliances if you haven't paid for them yet so now we have the risk of losing the appliances that we picked out and they only had one of the refrigerators left. Certegy Has Not Heard the Last of Me and if there is a class action lawsuit I can jump on to you better bet your ### I will. Don't screw with people and their finances if you have no idea who they are and how much money they have available. Certegy should be put out of business after they pay back everybody they have screwed. What an embarrassing and humiliating experience to stand there and have your check declined in front of other people when you know damn well there's money in there to cover it.

• Nc
    Nc-#& May 26, 2016

The same thing is happening to us, my husband has be declined 3 time now, at Walmart and at K mart. We have never written a bad check, and have an excellent credit rating. When we called about this, this person told us there was not enough activity to use a check, What the h..., we spend alot of money at Walmart, but I usually use my debit card. My husband doesn't use or want a debit card. Anyway I really want some justification as to way this is happening.

chris freeburn Apr 28, 2016

Who does this company think they are? I have had a lot of fraud claims recently because my information was stolen along with old check books, debit cards, social security#, drivers license#, along with all the members of my households information as well. Somebody is or was writing checks and trying to cash them, they even opened an account at two banks. My credit situation is terrible right now, and on top of all this f*****g Walmart wont cash a payroll check because of my name with this crooked company called Certegy. How in the hell are they gonna deny my only way of semi-banking needs right now. I refuse to give them any information on my credit matters, I will go through a lawyer and the three reporting agencies. As far as I know, they could be ripping me off. This company should base there decision on fact not made up ### and why the hell is Walmart even affiliated with this company. Just remember Certegy pay backs a b**ch.

• Bi
    Billy Batey Apr 23, 2016

We all need to start petitions to have certegy removed and completely dismantled. Wal mart refused to cash a check issued by the state of Texas due to certegy. Texas don't write bad checks. certegy is a fraud.

• Da
    Dale & Michele Nelson Apr 03, 2016

I wrote a check at a kohls dept store off of my 30yr. Checking acct. Was small amount of 150.00 when she ran my check thru this novel came up had to call this 800 number in Florida I was livid never in my life has this happened they have all info including drivers bomber a check is cash! So I paid with a credit card and told the clerk if this is due to this store hell was coming! So after 1hr on hold ! I got to speak to someone after I gave her my life's info she started to read from some sort of book of why this may have happened well needless to say I blew my top she said oh I can put you on a VIP list I told her to destroy all the info I gave to her and she and her low life company can put that list where the sun don't shine most embarrassing situation ever for me! I will never shop at a kohls again they can go out of business like so many others by hiring these idiots I then called the manager of kohls and gave them an ear full lost a customer for life for being stupid now will report all to my bank ! Next call. If a class action suit takes place I'll gladly join!

angrywoman1978 Feb 21, 2016

Went to Wal-Mart today to cash tax refund check. Declined, reason was because this year's check exceeded the amount of last year's check. Are you serious, ? Because peoples income doesn't change and people don't have children? ?? This is a huge hassle not to mention embarrassing.

madddddddddd Jan 23, 2016

I am furious. I was in our new dollar general store today. The debit and credit machine haven't worked all week, so I have been in there on three separate times and wrote out checks. This morning my check was declinced due to Certegy. I had just deposited $8, 000.00 in that checking account two days ago. I then took out my other checks from another bank and that too was declined due to Certegy. I called them when I got home and didn't really get an answer as to why my checks were declined. Needless to say, I will not write out checks again in the Dollar General Store. I agree that it wasn't their fault except they better get their debit machine working and get rid of Certegy !!!

• Ce
    certegyeatsdogpoop Dec 23, 2015

On the 22nd of Dec 2015, I went to Walmart and purchased a Walmart Visa debt card, I then tried to deposit my 1st Social Sec. check and was told
    I had been denied by their check service. When I called Certegy I was told that my check did not meet their requirements, I relies that they must turn down a lot of shady businesses without the money to cover the checks but this. Is the first time anyone has denied cashing a check from the US gov't. Walmart is a company started in theUSA but they chose to hire a check service that's not even in the states! Walmart can keep their service I will never go into their store again.

• Eb
    ebower13 Nov 29, 2015

I was at a Dollar store today... A DOLLAR STORE. I left my debit card at home and I only had 22 dollars of cash on me at the time. My purchase ended up being over 30 dollars, I asked the cashier if he accepted checks, which in fact they did. As my check went through he stated, "The check declined." Whhhhattttt??!!... Knowing all the while I have enough money in my checking account to buy everything in that dollar store! Turns out this Certegy company prevents potential risk to their companies? Certegy, you just lost that company more money (that they would have received!) by declining my check and me having to take items off my order that would be under the cash amount I had on me. Are you kidding me? This company is a joke. The FAQs on your website, are a joke. The fact you don't have an email address to contact you, is a joke. I am not calling the number on your site nor mailing? you. Waste of time when the money was IN MY ACCOUNT??!! Why would I have to go out of my way for this? There is no reason why my check should have been declined and this is the only time it has ever happened to me. Thank you for completely embarrassing me for no reason whatsoever and I'll thank you on behalf of that dollar store that will no longer get my business as well for using a ridiculous company like this!

• Mb
    Mbarwick Nov 23, 2015

I too had this happen to me just today. I was humiliated to say the least in TJ Maxx. I contacted my bank nothing wrong on my end. I contacted this company and was not given a definitive answer as to why. I am extremely upset and uncertain whether to try and write another check at this store.

• Na
    Nancy Topp Nov 06, 2015

Toys r Us just refused my check because of Code 2 according to Certegy. I talked to a Raquita at Certegy and she basically told me that it was because I wasn't a Certegy member. She offered me a VIP membership. No thanks. So embarrassed. My credit rating is over 800, I have never had a check bounce, i have had the same checking account for over 20 years...if they won't take my check who's check will they take?
    We need to stop them.. I am making it my personal mission to get Toys R Us to fire Certegy.

• Wj
    W.J. Peavy Aug 31, 2015

I just had a check declined at Kroger in Beaumont, tx.I had to put my grocery purchase on a credit card after already having them loaded in my car.
    I never ever had anything happen like this before, and have been a customer of Kroger for decades.

• Wh
    What's wrong with you? Aug 15, 2015

Who actually writes checks these days?

• Re
    Reviewer87924 Aug 15, 2015

We went to cash a $75.00 check to Publix Supermarket and our check was declined. We called Certegy and actual got a live person to investigate
    the problem. She said she saw nothing negative and that the store might be having transmission problems. She suggested that we try another Publx store. We did that and had the same result. Still have no idea why this happened. After reading the other complaints, we are not going to pursue it. We rarely write checks in retail stores but if it happens that we do and the same thing occurs, then we will take action.

• Co
    comander Aug 08, 2015

Has Walmart became so big that it doesnt pay any attention to how a company they hire to preform a service like check approval. Certegy decline cashing my pension check from the I.A.M.National Pension Fund. Up until this I cashed all my checks at Walmart, then continue through your store to get my prescriptions filled, get groceries, pet supplies.household goods. etc. Well that just stopped. Thanks to your Certegy check services.But I did notice that a lot of your shoppers have had the very same complaints, and Walmart doesnt seem to care one way or another.I do know that I.A.M. Union is very well recognized across the United States as is the I.A.M. national pension fund, much more than your Certegy. I dont really understand why a name like Walmart would even mess with a fly by night outfit like Certegy, especially with a computer system like Walmart has on the MO. AR state line.I am a 62 yo.vet, and I have shopped at Walmart since High School., but that just STOPED.And needless to say the I.A.M. has been notified of Walmart's denial of cashing their check.

• Sh
    shrekjohnson72 Mar 20, 2015

I received a Money Gram money order from my daughter that she purchased from a Walmart in Missouri. I tried to cash the money order (guarenteed money) at a Walmart in Arkansas. It was rejected for reaseon 2 and I was given a slip to call Certegy Check Services. I called the number and was informed that based on their criteria, they could not approve the transaction even though this was a money order purchased at Walmart and being cashed at Walmart. This is not the first time this has happened.

• Sc
    Screw YOU Mar 19, 2015

Certegy, I believe, does business of approving/disapproving check cashing in an arbitrary and capricious manner with no reason behind their decision. They are self-serving and rip off major retailers such as Wal-Mart who use their unscrupulous services but pay a hefty fee for such unreasonable, non sensible services. Certegy should be investigated by the BBB and federal agencies for fraud especially. There employees only know how to read from placards when you call to complain and the manager i.e. team lead, I dealt with didn't appear to be very bright either.
    Their tactics appear unscrupulous if not ILLEGAL!

• Go
    Gordon L Nov 28, 2014

My wife and I have had the same type of problem with Certegy in the past two weeks. Once in Pensacola, FL and once in Spanish Fort, AL. The second time was the day after we received a letter from Certegy stating that the problem with our checks had been corrected and we would have no further problem with using our checks! I would like to know how much the retail merchants are paying Certegy to offend and publicly humiliate their customers.
    Our daughter is an attorney in Orlando, FL and we will be contacting her about the possibility of legal action against Certegy.

• Cl
    C L A D R A Aug 12, 2014

Pet Smart uses Certegy. I too was refused a purchase as Certegy declined my check. I went directly to my bank to make sure there were no kinks with my account. They said there was no reason why it should have been declined. There was ample funds to cover the check.

I cashed the check with my bank and returned to the store to proceed with my purchase. Cash works every time, however, if I can make an equal purchase elsewhere, I will.

I called the 800 number on the refusal slip from Certegy, given to me by Pet Smart. The call goes to an automated system. The first thing they say is to have your driver's license and bank information ready to have questions answered. Wouldn't you think the number on the refusal slip would be enough? All I wanted was a reason for refusal...

I hung up as there is no way I am going to give my information to yet another person in their organization.

Conclusion: Certegy is ripping off consumer business. Sad & Frustrating with today's economy.

• Pe
    Pep Paige Aug 07, 2014

Be very careful with this dishonest unethical company. They use your information illegally. I don't trust them that they may be using infor for identity theft. We all need to ban together to get them closed down. It is exactly the type of stuff going on that hurts every American in this country.

• Pa
    Paralegal 1971 Aug 05, 2014

I've been having problems with the company for 2 months. I have, for the past two years, cashed my child support check at a Walmart in Missouri with no problems. For the past 2 months I have been unable to. When I call Certergy, I get someone who can barely speak English. Then they try to tell me that their "models" say it's not a good check. The damn thing comes from a trust fund, and what in the hell is this "model" that now claims the check isn't good.

I'm going to report this company to the BBB. If anyone knows of a lawsuit...count me in!!!

• Du
    dumbfounded41 Jun 10, 2014

I purchased a money order from Wal mart for $500 and when the person tried to cash it at Wal mart Certegy refused Wal mart to cash it. When called to see why he got the run around. So I called Wal mart and asked since I was the purchaser if I could cash it and they said yes. So went to go cash and again refused by Certegy. When called to see why I got the same nonsense you guys received and I informed them that I was not trying to cash a check but a money order I purchased from Wal mart and then they told me the money order was no good. So after calling Wal mart, Certegy again and money gram (they say the money order is good) I still have no cash. I don't understand how a money order purchased from Wal mart can not be cashed at Wal mart.

• De
    DebbL May 01, 2014

I am a faithful over 30 year Walmart customer. In 2001 I had a check returned for insufficient at Walmart. Went to customer service paid and retrieved the check. All this time, I had no problem with checks, returns or refunds until April 2014. Went in to customer service for an even exchanged for a wifi extender I paid over 60.00. I couldn't find my receipt, gave my ID and was told my request for not a refund but an even exchanged was denied because of checks on filed. I was in chock! The first thing I could think of was some kind of fraud, not to mention embarrassment in front of other customers. Took the little ticket and called the TRS Recovery number about 3 or 4 times, finally got a called stating the same check I already paid and picked up in 2001 was on filed and I would have to pay 20.00 more dollars plus the check. I tried to explained that check was paid and picked but TRS said I have to fax the receipt of payment to get this removed. What a spot to be in. Searching for a 13 year old receipt. I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of problem with Walmart ..

Mustang2+2 Apr 23, 2014

You use your method, I'll use mine -- I like to sleep at night knowing my identity is safe. I never use debit cards anymore, I use checks, cash and credit cards -- I intentionally keep a low limit credit card because if the money is not there they can't take it, it is paid in full every month -- I LIKE IT THAT WAY. If it is stolen at anytime there will most likely only be $5-600 available.
    Other companies I have dealt with in the past have the ability to verify the checks on the spot -- why does this company not have this ability.
    They are not accredited with the BBB -- and they want all my personal info so they can give me VIP status, I'm not that stupid. I do not wish to be a victim such as the customers at Target.
    As far as using THEIR preferred method -- HELLO, "I" AM THE CUSTOMER here, if they want my business they will cater to me -- using my preferred method of purchase.
    I sent my plumber(friend of over 40 years) because I was working -- he didn't need me to hold his hand, I HIRED HIM TO DO A JOB -- had I been with him we would have walked out and made our purchase somewhere else. He made the purchase with the credit card and completed the job he was hired to do.
    I am an accountant and tax preparer -- I go to great limits to assure my identity is safe as is theirs. I encourage them to do as I do on a regular basis. I am a Life Lock member and also advise my clients to look into it as well. I pay 2-3 thousand $'s every year to make sure my work computer is protected and never use it for anything but work -- I have a laptop to do other things like this and social media.
    As far as checks being old fashioned, whatever, your opinion is yours, mine is mine, I happen to think they are safer. And BRIDGE LOANS -- I am aware they illegal for us to use -- yet our government in the United States and all the banks do it all the time -- how else could they function as far in debt as we are to China.
    You're gonna have to come up with a better argument than this to convince me to change my methods
    Certegy in my opinion is just another set-up to steal identities and why are they not accredited with the BBB?

Mustang2+2 Apr 23, 2014

You use your debit card if you like -- I prefer mine not to be stolen, I NEVER use it anymore. I use credit or checks.
    And if said store wants to do business with me -- THEY will use my method of CHOICE or I will take my business elsewhere -- HELLO I AM THE CUSTOMER HERE, If store wishes to do business with me they will cater to ME.
    Banks are a lot harder to deal with than credit card companies in the case your identity is stolen.
    The company they use, Certegy, is not accredited with the BBB and although they have a Florida address does not mean they don't sub this work out to other countries in order to get cheap labor. The lady I spoke with could barely speak English and explained she could upgrade me to a VIP status if I gave her all my personal information. NOT ACCREDITTED with BBB, I'm sorry I will give you no personal info.
    I had PLENTY enough money to cover the check -- I use checks all over town and NEVER had a problem. My credit score is a HIGH 700.
    I INTENTIONALLY keep a low limit credit card to guard against theft. I have been offered higher limits and have refused them. if it's not there it can't be stolen. My card company honored the transaction and I am not worried, my identity is safe.
    I sent my plumber with the check and credit card because I was working and was paying him to do a job -- he does not need his hand held while he works -- I have known him 40 years. Had I been with him, we would have immediately walked out of that store and went somewhere that wanted that $800 some odd $ sale.
    Policy's such as this, is in my opinion, how the BIG scam at Target was allowed to happen. World news now reports this may take years to solve because it has entered other countries.
    In the future I will ask who they use to verify checks before I make a purchase -- these verifications can and are verified on the spot to assure money is there to cover it -- Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply and other stores I have done business with use this practice on the spot. Why was this company unable to do this?

• Jl
    JLSeagull Apr 21, 2014

Don't write checks. Use your credit card. Don't max out your credit card. Checks are old-fashioned and have to be viewed with suspicion, because many people use them as bridge loans until payday, and crooks use them as free money. The store has no way to know if it is you or just a crook with a fake ID card. Checks are still good way to pay your rent or mortgage because the person receiving the check does know who you are and of course, won't credit your account if the check is bad. Every checking account comes with a free password protected debit card to use instead of checks or credit. The reason somebody can't use their debit card instead of a check is usually because the money is not in the bank. You should shop where they have the products you need at a fair price and use the method of payment that store prefers. They have their reasons.

Mustang2+2 Apr 21, 2014

It's me again --on top of the complaint I just filed -- let me also say they are not accredited with the Better Business Bureau