Having problems with CenturyLink?

+1 800 244 1111 (Headquarters)
+1 877 348 9005 (Internet Service)
+1 877 348 9007 (Phone Service)
+1 866 314 4148 (Prism TV Service)
+1 866 963 6665 (Ordering Services)
+1 800 423 8994 (Payment Specialists)
+1 877 837 5738 (Moving Services or Billing & General Customer Service)
+1 877 803 8414 (Disconnect or Cancel Services)
930 15th St. 11th Floor
Denver, Colorado

Complaints & Reviews

worst service

I ordered internet service on monday, they were supposed to activate my service on friday, I call every day to make sure they activated by friday night, I even call 3 hours before 7 to make sure and they told me not to worry it was going be Activated by 7 by 8pm there were still no service I call I wasted 2 hours of my cell phone minutes talking and being transferred to different costumer services agent so they could tell me that there have been a problem and that I was not going to get internet till monday the worst thing is that they assure me it was gonna be by friday before 7 and I got fired from my job because I assure my boss that I was goning to have internet by friday night and I couldn't finish my job, please don't get ceNtury link is not reliable and not worst it ...

CenturyLinkJoey Sep 27, 2010

maraloera,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about your trouble and I will be more than happy to look into this for you. Can you email me your name, account number and reference your complaint on this page? My email is [email protected] Thanks.

[email protected]

fraud - they signed me up, sent me a bill, yet have provided no internet service: & service has been down in fl for days&

I signed up with CenturyLink and have yet to actually get a live internet connection from them. Their guy came over and checked the line "to make sure it worked." Then a couple of days later, my equipment came in, so I tried to set it up. Hours later, I was still having no luck, so I called the "help" desk. They informed me they'd been having problems in Florida and all internet had been down for over 12 hours so far, but would be up in a couple of hours. That was TWO DAYS AGO.

Every time I called the CenturyLink "Help Desk" (that word "help" is laughingly used very loosely here!), they told me "internet in Florida is still down" and they had no estimate on when it will be back up.

Now they have an "update" on a recording on their "Help" desk line when I called at 2:00 am Eastern US time today: the recording said service should be restored to Florida by 6 am today. Of course, it's still not, at 7:15 am. I don't know why I stupidly thought they might actually be telling the truth this time.

I am SO fed up with CenturyLink. I am now quite convinced that they are hands-down the worst of the worst of the ABSOLUTE WORST internet company I have ever had the misfortune to get suckered in by. Even the service I had from some podunk little company in remote Alaska years ago was way better than this.

Wtf good is a "high speed deal" if you can't get any connection at all?! The really rotten thing is that they have ALREADY SENT ME MY FIRST BILL!! I haven't even gotten a blip of internet service from them yet, and they are billing me for NO SERVICE!!! Yes, I am royally, litigiously pissed. Next stop: State Attorney General's office to file a consumer fraud complaint.

I am VERY VERY glad that I have not yet canceled my Bright House Networks cable internet service yet. BHN may have their problems, but their service shines compared to the dismal, pathetic, fraudulent scams being perpetrated on unsuspecting suckers by CenturyLink.

Anyone considering signing up with Century Link: RUN, don't walk, away from this company. Use ANY other internet service available in your area - either cable, or even G3 through your cell phone. Don't sign up with CenturyLink. They WILL scam you. I wish I'd searched on this site first before signing up. I was appalled at how many other people have been scammed by CenturyLink too. This is the stuff that class action lawsuits are made of.

JaJo Sep 28, 2010

I have to disagree I have had centurylink for many years and I have internet service with them I have never had a problem. Also I don't know where you got your service but I would check into it because I am going to online school and I go on everyday and I live in Florida and I have not had any problem and the internet has not been down at all. It you got Centurylink through they computer you could have been trick by someone not involved with the company and tricked you. If I were you I would call the Centurylink company.

• Hj
    H.J. Smith Nov 12, 2010

Worst ever is CORRECT. I get angry just THINKING about talking to them. They are the "only game in town" here in Troy, Missouri, and I don't have a choice but to use their service. On two separate occasions, some 12 year old from Mumbai has offered me bundled services which do not exist. I can't get them to come out and check out my internet, even tho I pay for this each month. They are hideous. I get bumped off the internet about 6 times a day. This is really bad when I'm in the middle of playing COD: Black OPS and I have 800 points racked up and then poof...they just bump you. I wish they'd just go away.

• Lj
    ljd10 Aug 19, 2012

centurylink as far as I am concerned has stolen from for the last 10 years. paying 1.5 meg service and only receiving only about 30% of it.. the small print says 80% of 1.5 meg as being the lowest acceptable speed for a 1.5 meg service which would be
    120 kbps not the 25 or 55 kbps which is 17% and 36%. this has went on for 10 years. not being familiar with speed rate and coming off of dial up networking it seemed like an improvement.-- after those conditions had gotten worse after january 2012 and a weekly call in to tech support to correct the problem I found or learned that my speed numbers were never up to being an acceptable rate. I also found out that there were 2 types of "block boards" . those are area juntion boards where multiple hookups are distributed in a local area. the downstream rate relates the synchronicity rate or the rate you are hooked up to there system. now on the older boards even the the numbers look great they can shut the speed rate down without you being aware of it except for the slowness of your download. on the newer board when they shut the speed down it reflects in the connection reading.--keeps them more honest. all in all it looks like there advertising and not providing things they are selling and taking money for.
    all these opinions are not going to amount to anything untill they are legally held accountable.

[Resolved] poor customer service

I have never had a good experience with Qwest customer service and today made me realize after being a loyal...

ld phone calls/current service

First call - placed on hold for 13 minutes. Hung up, called back and was told to be patient, placed on hold again for 1 hour, 27 minutes. Called back 3rd time wanting to speak to supervisor - she had to get more information before being transferred, placed me on hold to get numbers for telecom usa and mci when centurylink bill states for billing inquiries call [protected] (Centurylink). This is on my 95 year old mother's phone that we had previously asked for ld to be blocked as we give her a long distance card to use, and asked that line guard be taken off. Help!

CenturyLinkJoey Sep 20, 2010

Martel34481,

This is Joey with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble that you've had with our company. I'll be happy to look into this for you. Just email me your name, your mother's name, her account number and reference your complaint on this website. My email is [email protected] Thanks.

Joey H.

3 hours on hold, and counting

I've been on hold for the past 3 hours because some *** customer service employee could not help me get my modem to work. He told me to hold so that he can transfer me to some other tech support. Still have not heard from anyone. Once in a while I'll hear the same guy sucking on the same *** lollipop that he was sucking on when I first talked to him. I am so *** pissed right now. F'ing CenturyLink customer support. I'm still going to keep holding, then once I talk to someone, I better get a month of free internet service. First they want to "lease" you a modem, and once you get one from somewhere else, they trip balls don't give you the service they give you when you sign up.

• Ab
    about done with centurylink Nov 10, 2011

I was told my equipment was free...then come to find out not only are they charging me DOUBLE the original agreement for the SLOWEST DSL speed, but I'm being charged $4.95/mo for the equipment.

internet service

For the last month I have been losing my internet service sporadically every day. The service always goe...

slow service, time outs, page can not be displayed

This is a warning to everyone. Do not get centurylink for any service. I ordered internet service on june...

service issues

Trouble, Trouble, Trouble... it never ends with Century Link...
Stayed home all day last Monday, Aug 23, 2010, for 2 repairs, Brad arrived, did repair and service failed
about an hour after he left, second group came in the afternoon, said they ran a line
and we should not have any service issues. Joey from Century Tel read my complaint
on Complaints Board and emailed that we would get a credit on our bill and to let him know
if any other issues. Today, Monday, Aug 30th, and I cannot use the remote to turn the TV
power off or change channels. Phoned tech William [protected]) this afternoon, he said that
I changed the remote from another TV, then told me if, I want the remote reprogrammed, we
would have to be charged. No way did I change out any remotes, my husband has been on a
business trip and I have not taken the remote off the coffee table. I don't think we have ever had
one month with decent service from Century Link ever. The most horrible company, I have ever had
cable, internet or phone service with in 0ver 30 years and many states. Going to have to get a new company,
that can provide cable TV, internet and phone service. Margaret Belcher - [protected]@yahoo.com
Century Link Account #[protected]

• Wh
    whtley birth Dec 31, 2010

iam a cenyury link customer and they charge for services that ithought that comes with apackage deal i have internet and telephone but dont have any tv service and likev long distance ithink that internatioal should come with the deal an d should be able to call anywhere you want to for alow cost thats arip off suppose yoyhad family achild you want to call them at any time qand allthat interest should be caught off they told that they will work with me they dont thay charege us too much money or interedt ona bill but soime of the customer service tell you one and do another they hsve the authority yt

• Wh
    whtley birth Dec 31, 2010

i am a century link customer ihave internet and telephone no digital and the charges are terrible if you purchase it should come as abundle or one price not two or three prices and add interest and if you purchase long distance international should come with it you might have achild in the military there or live in international country so iknow that customer service charge what they want they have the authority to do so that nt right for people to pay so much

they don't care

I called Centurylink's customer service number on Wednesday, August 11, to report a problem with my phone line. After a 20+ minute hold, I explained my difficulty. I was then transferred to someone else in another department. After explaining my difficulty again, I was transferred to a third individual. After explaining my difficulty AGAIN, I was put on hold. Moments later, the call was disconnected.

I called back. After another 15+ minute wait, I explained my difficulty to another "customer service" rep, who assured me that a Centurylink repairman would be at my house the next day between 8am and noon.

I re-scheduled all my morning appointments in order to be able to meet the service tech. At 2:30 pm, I called customer service. After another long wait, the "customer service" rep told me that it would be Friday between 8am and noon.

Again, I re-scheduled all my appointments and spent the day waiting. By 5:30, it was apparent no one was coming to fix my phone. Since it was the weekend, I would have to wait until Monday.

I called back this morning and found a very nice young lady who was very helpful and sounded understanding. She actually spoke with her supervisor and called me back, assuring me that someone would be out today.

I received a call from our regional repair offices, who told me that they were following up and would call me right back. That was this morning. It is now nearly 4 pm and I have yet to get a call.

I am convinced that Centurylink could not care less about their customers. They know that we have no choice but to use them because they have a monopoly in our town.

This is not the first time I have had problems with Centurylink. Their DSL service is slow and unreliable and calls to get it fixed are totally ignored. They have THE WORST customer service of any company I have ever written a monthly check to.

• It took 20 phone calls and 3 weeks to get my internet & phone hooked up. I realized after the first 10 days I had made a terrible mistake. Wrote to corporate, they ignored me.

extremely slow internet service

I was a first time computer buyer and needed an internet service for my new computer. Unfortunately I had no...

repair service

CenturyLinkJoey Aug 20, 2010

O2,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm terribly sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our company. I'll be more than happy to offer my assistance to you. You can email me anytime at [email protected] Just include as many details as possible and we'll be glad to help. Thanks.

• Au
    auroranorth Jul 04, 2011

3 times in the last 2 weeks the internet has been down for ovver 24 hurs each time, 12 days in the last 14 the phone li e varies from good to unusable, repeated calls to 611 repair services accom plish nothing

• Au
    auroranorth Jul 05, 2011

almost 24 hours ago i wrote above still no response, people can call in but i cannot answer, or call out

technical support

Centurylink has the worst customer service/technical support in the universe. Seriously, I have had 4 weeks 3-4 hours per day talking with one incompetent person after another. They all are from the states and all are friendly and have good English. However 90% of the time you are speaking with someone who has no clue on support, it's like they hired taxi cab drivers to become DSL experts! The support has come to the point that the phone people get to a point where they cannot help so they just hang-up and force you to call back, wait another 20 minutes or so before talking to another taxi driver!

The latest round of support does not even compare the first round with the actual monthly charges. I was lied to about the monthly amount and the length of contract. I was told that I would pay 44.95 per month with a 12 month contract or 54.95 for a month to month contract, then while talking with someone in support they told me I was on a 79.95 three year contract! If I had a choice I would cancel everything, but I need internet to run my business. It's just a shame that a company so large can have so much incompetence! I don't think anyone intentionally lied to me, but the middle managers all have different agenda's and information, so the person that talks with the customers has no clue on Centurylink policies, prices or support.

disconnection fee

I was a customer of CenturyLink long before there was a CenturyLink. What I mean is, I was a customer of...

dsl internet

Lately over the past 2 months between the hours of 8PM EST - 12AM EST, Centurylink's internet constantly disconnects. 1 night alone within a 1 hour time frame I recorded 18 disconnects. The dc's coming in spurts of within seconds to minutes of each other. My wife and I have already contacted customer service and they were not helpful at all. Contacted an actual Century employee/installer and stated this was a regional issue that needed to be corrected out of Tampa. I've read websites (dslreports ex) to and researched that many other Centurylink customers have experienced the same problem from Florida all the way up to the Carolina's. My wife and I have no problems with disconnects or the internet until 8pm - 12am est. This is obviously prime time for the majority of internet users and there seems to be a serious problem of bottlenecking that needs to be addressed by Centurylink. This is an unacceptable issue that needs some serious attention. To not to be able to log in and check email or do anything remotely internet related is unsatisfactory.

• Th
    TheThinker Aug 27, 2010

I too unfortunately use Century Link for internet access. After doing some digging I found out that this problem is State wide. The issue comes from bandwidth. Too many customers on outdated systems. I have been told by the upper level management (which took me days to finally reach) that full service will be restored by September 2nd or 3rd. Call and insist upon a full months refund. Stick to that mantra and you will be credited.

• Wr
    Wronged Comsumer Jul 16, 2012

I have been having an issue with my inter net connection. For almost a month I have been calling and being told the issue was fix. Finally, the issue was corrected and my inter net is working. Several times, the employees have tried to force me to upgrade to fiber optics. In spite of my telling them that did not want to do so, I was sent a new modem. I did not request it. I have called several time and been called everything from a cheat to a liar. By law, I am allowed to keep the modem and they cannot charge me for it.
    Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?
    A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.
    FTC website (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/products/pro15.shtm).

Everyone I spoke to at Centurylinknk treated me like a criminal. I didn't request this modem be sent and all I was looking for was someone to admit that they made the error and would help me return it at no cost. I don't believe that was too much to ask for.
    I was repeatly told that I HAD to return it or I would be charged.

This issue has cost Centurylink a long term customer. I guess customer service doesn't matter any more.

impossible to get service

Here's a copy of the email I have just sent to the CEO of Centurylink telco. Next stop, FCC!

Dear Mr. Post,

I have spent over a month, and well over 10 hours on the phone to various departments at your company in a vain attempt to get telephone service set up for our new home in Greeneville, TN.

My first contact with your company was on July 4, to set up service on August 2. I was assured that this was PLENTY of notice. It would be no problem at all to set up service that far in advance on our newly constructed house. ...So we arranged for our electrician and security systems people to meet us on August 2nd to tie everything in. ... Did I mention that my husband and I took a day off from work to drive 5 hours from Atlanta to Greeneville to do this? Did I mention that electricians get paid by the hour to sit there and wait for telephone people? Well, there you have it.

August 2 comes and goes, no service call, no explanation. August 3, still no service, no explanation. August 4, finally reached someone at your company who could read! (Joy!) "Oh, someone cancelled this order. So sorry. Don't know why. We've had some problems with database conversions since we merged"

Really? This from an NYSE listed phone company with illusions of becoming a communications company???

But wait. Have no fear... on August 4, four different people, with different levels of competency and literacy, assured me that on August 6 there would be service. "Yes, we understand you're not there. Yes, we have your cell phone number, just in case. Yes, we understand this is new construction. We understand that you already paid once to have an electrician twiddle their thumbs all day. We understand that there is no cell reception at your location, so having a land line is kind of important and we are obligated by law to provide it if you request and pay for it."

Care to guess why I am writing to you today????

Someone... someone likely drawing a salary from your company (from your shareholders)... scribbled a note that no-one in your company can presently decypher. If you're curious, try it yourself! You can look it up under our potential, someday, maybe in the future, number of xxx-xxx-xxxx. That should be fun. As a result of said note, the project was put on hold until August 20th. No-one bothered to call. No-one bothered to contact the writer of the note to say "what the %$# does this mean"? Today I spent over an hour just to get someone to admit it.

Tell me, Mr. Post, is Centurylink a company I should be happy with? Or does CTL deserve its very own "centurylinksucks.com" web page or facebook group? Should I tweet your list of analysts to see if they can help me out? Or will someone finally do something that shows a shred of competency? How hard is it to get phone service???

I'd like to hear from you.

CenturyLinkJoey Aug 13, 2010

horrible customer service

This company is terrible and their customer service is the worst we have ever dealt with. We have phone line...

no customer service

For several months now, I have been calling the customer repair "service" number in an attempt to have a...

pathetic service and overpriced services

After about 6 hours on the phone today, our phone battery even died, we have called time warner cable and are switching over to their services within the week- bundling our tv, phone and internet will save us $100 with twc. We are still at this moment on the phone with centurylink trying to get our internet running. After an apparent outage last night, we lose connection every 10 minutes or so for about a minute or two. This makes it impossible to do any conference calling, streaming etc. They can't fix it, they have no clue-we've gone through 2 modems and nothing. They can't even figure out how to test the line-the one woman was so stupid she just transferred us. I don't know why they make notes on the account as no one reads them -they continually ask the same thing over and over. I am done with them- had them for 7 years and august 7th i'm done with them. I would suggest NEVER using them. They have changed names from sprint to embarq now to century link-that should say something. pathetic...

CenturyLinkJoey Jul 30, 2010

kerimo,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our company. Our team would be more than happy to look into your issue. Can you email us your name, account info, and reference Complaintsboard.com? Our email address is [email protected] We've been helping customers on ComplaintsBoard.com for over two years, so please let us know what we can do to help. Thanks.

incompetent company

This is a totally incompetent company. Avoid like the plague..They have no professional ethics. Customer service sucks big time and they cheat customers. They openly debase other service providers by pointing out false negatives. They even charge you a false $200 cancellation fee even when you did not have service installed in the first place and you canceled because they could not get you connected. The customer service is bad. They put you on hold for hours and then hang up after the wait. How can a company survive with such bad ethics?

CenturyLinkJoey Jul 30, 2010

JamesHouston10,

terrible customer service

I currently receive phone and DSL services with Centurylink/Embarq. I've never had any issues with...