Canadian Tirecustomer service

S Nov 16, 2018

My husband and I went to the Canadian Tire in South Common Edmonton, AB ( Store #304) this evening (November 16, 2018) to look for a Christmas tree 9 ft or bigger. I didn't end up purchasing a tree as I couldn't find one I liked, however, I purchased almost $100 worth of Christmas bulbs/ornaments. We proceeded through the checkout and I paid for our merchandise, the cashier (operator #1076 Reg #4) asked if he could look in my purse. I was shocked and taken aback as my Guess purse was sitting in the front of the cart unzippered and wide open, never mind the fact I had already paid for my merchandise. I said excuse "excuse me, is there a reason you want to look through my purse?!" To which the cashier replied it's store policy ma'am. I told the cashier I was highly offended and insulted as I had already paid for my items and my purse was sitting in plain site and wide open. I explained to the cashier that my husband and I have a combined household income of $320, 000k annually and we do not go to stores to steal nor was did he have any grounds for suspicion. I advised the cashier that my husband and I would never be back again and we will certainly take our business elsewhere. As long-time Canadian Tire patrons we will most definitely shop elsewhere moving forward as we felt extremely insulted, publicly humiliated and offended. The cashier insisted on searching through my purse. I wish to escalate this matter so other loyal customers do not have to go through the public humiliation that my husband and I did. I understand the unfortunate reality that some people shoplift. That said, that's why there are security cameras and people are apprehended when situations arise, however, this was not the case in our circumstance this evening. I would like someone to contact me on this matter.
Shianne LeBreton