Brinks Home Security Logo

Brinks Home Security

Having problems with Brinks Home Security?

+1 800 447 9239 (Customer Service)
+1 855 910 7980 (Sales & New Service)
+1 800 595 2059 (Dealer Relations)
+1 469 513 8685 (Text Only)
1990 Wittington Pl.
Written Correspondence
MONI, PO Box 814530, Dallas, TX 75381-4530

Complaints & Reviews

Bait and switch liars

I make a deal with a company named Platinum. The deal was I will buy the home alarm system if they remove the 5 year monitoring contract clause.

After a few short months, my contract was sold to Monitronics. No big deal I thought, until I decided I wanted out. They say I have to stay with them for 5 years, even though the 5 year clause was X'd out in my contract. They say if I don't pay, they will turn me over to a collection agency.

A second thing to mention. Just yesterday, my house alarm goes off. The cops show up, everything is good. My wife calls Monitronics to clarify what seal was broken. The Monitronics guy suggests that I was sneaking into the house in the back way and then leaving too slowly. He is suggesting I am doing something bad? What a ***.

Please, don't use this company! And don't use Platinum either! They are in bed together but you are the only one getting screwed.

• Wo
    Woodmans May 29, 2014

Monitronics did not even finish installing my alarm system. What the did install used all the old sensors. Made me hire a contractor to finish the alarm install. Monitornics was "oh well". Had to settle with them shutting of the monitoring since the system is acting up. I refuse to deal with the old installer "Total Security" out of Spokane Washington. Buy one of the no contract wireless systems instead.

Bad business to rip people off. If the product was really all that, people would say it here. Odd these days to steal money through dishonesty. Cant they make money honestly? Why rip off the poor and the elderly. Shame on Monitronics. What a foul company!!

Please re BBB case#: 91292553

Idiots

These complaints are absolutely ridiculous. I work for Monitronics International at the main office in...

fraud

My complaint is about people who complain about Monitronics and have no idea what Monitronics actually doe...

Failure of system

I had Monitronics install my system back in 2008 when I suffered a robbery that left me with almost nothing in my home. The system worked well when someone tried to break in a 2nd time while I was out. Last night, even though my system went off in my house, "the signal didn't reach" Monitronics themselves so once again I was robbed. The phone line was active and not cut.. they busted my window out, opened it and left out the front door with my belongings as if they lived here.

I'm now moving and since no one at Monitronics can tell me how they didn't see the signal for alarm going off, I am canceling my service with them effective my move.

Contracts and scare tactics

A few weeks ago I got a knock on the door from ADT, a competitor of Monitronics Alarm. The ADT people were told me that there had been a break-in within the neighborhood and they wanted to make sure that I had an alarm sytem set-up in my house. Then it just hit me. Those were the exact same words that came from the guy that sold me the Monitronics alarm system almost 2 years ago. I felt really like a sucker for believing their scare tactics. Whether the break-in was true or not, I should have known to assess the situation and not get suckered to these long contracts costing you as much as $1500. With that money I could have just bought a $700 security home security camera that I can monitor from my laptop anywhere. I tried to cancel my contract, but no luck. They put some nice and fake acting business person to sell you the product then give you the worst costumer service person when you try to cancel. Bottom line, I was told I can't cancel even if I lost my job or get sick. They want their money, that's all and they don't care about your well-being and safety.

• Bi
    BigBear74 Mar 10, 2010

I just wish more people would look on the Web for free or inexpensive self-monitoring solutions first. Two examples are highlightcam.com (which compresses video footage into relevant highlights) and homecamera.com (which can send motion-detection videos to your mobile).

But no question, these scare mongering tactics sure leave an awful taste in the mouth.

Resolved Rip off

Momotronics and platium protection alarm system are horrible companies!the salesman that stopped by my home more or less pressured me into getting platium protection alarm system!they installed it that day but i have not been able to use it do to a bogus voice command on the system. it says garage door open when activated we do not have a garage. when i called i got the run around switched to differnt people then told to change the batteries! we are unable to open the system.i called again to no avail just got the run around!i with held 1 month payment because we can not use the system! was harrassed by monotronics, they kept calling my house saying i owed 2 months i have prove i only owed 1 month!i explained why i have not paid Jan.2010 payment and was given a run around again between monotronics and platiumprotection !was told nothing could be done about the problem and i had to pay 2 months owed before anything could be done or an installer sent out to check the system! or i could pay $2000.00 and they would come get the sytem but need the money up front. please do not get involved with thses companies!i am getting a hold of the b.b.b. of ohio! i paid the 2 months when i got my Feb.2010 bill but no one has come to check the system and now i get a voice activated call saying i owe money! thinking about getting an attorney!

• Mi
    Mike k L Jan 11, 2014

I to am having problem with Monitronics. I was approached by a company and they told me that I would have to pay $34.00 each month for 3yrs. My mother who is 74 had a pannic button push it and get help. That was the idea. She pushed no one answered. My sister has had 2 heart attack pushed her pannic button again no answer. I got tried of giving them free money. Now I hear from them everyday.

• MONI Smart Security Jan 13, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and we are concerned to learn of your customer service/monitoring experience. We are sorry to learn of the incidents and hope everyone is safe because your security is our top priority. Please know that your experiences are not indicative of the standards we try to achieve. Please contact our Executive Response Team. We would like the opportunity to address your concerns. We are here Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., CTS and Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., CST. We are closed Saturdays and Sundays.

• Qu
    Qualtech1 Apr 17, 2014

Sometimes the technician will fail to disclose or show you how to use all the equipment that was installed. I know your post is about 4 months old, but I just wanted to comment that depending on the type of your panic button, you may have to hold the button for 2 seconds for it to actually send the signal, example of this would be your keypad panic button, or your keyfob panic button. You need to hold the buttons for 2 seconds for it to send the signal. This is to prevent false alarms. I hope this helps.

Resolved Beware

Its about Monitronics security.

They asked us to sign contract for three years.After installing the system it used to give false alarm.Three times police came for alarm . we have to pay police department $70 each time bill came due false alarm.WE contacted monitronics they didn't come or fixed.even police couldn't stop alarm when alarm was going off.

we wanted to cancel it, instead of giving peace of mind it gave us nuisance.but they said we have contract.we paid 3years without service.

july 09 contract finished but still charging.they didn't send a letter also.

We called still they say send a letter of cancellation.

• MONI Smart Security Jul 11, 2012

Monitronics Cares
    Hi my name is David Sodiende with the Corporate Office of Monitronics. I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with your account. I understand your concerns and I would like to speak with you regarding any and all issues you may be having with your account. Please call my office at 855-299-2081 from 8:00am-7:00pm Central Time.

Resolved Horrible practice

I signed a 3 year contract with Monitronics. I fulfilled my 3 year committment and went on month to month billing. After some time I moved out of the house where the alarm system was installed, but rented it out to tenants who wanted to have the alarm system activated. So I call Monitronics and schedule a service appointment because the alarm is not working. They send out an independent dealer who arrives at the house and says the alarm is not working because the phone is not operational. Well the tenants had been in the house for at least one month and did have the phone system up and working so none of us understood what this guy was talking about, because we could pick up the phone and hear a dial tone, but according to him, when he tested the line, he said he could not hear a dial tone. Anyway - we call AT&T to come out and check the line - who miarculously is there within an hour. They check the line and of course there is no issue with it. I call the idiots at Monitronics again and request a service technician be sent out to correct the problem with the alarm system. So as I am making an appt with Monitronics for the service technicial, I am telling them that I do not expect to have to pay a second service charge, because the guy could have and should have fixed it the first time. I was assured that there would not be an additional cost for the second visit. The first bill was $91 - for nothing! So the guy comes out (the same guy) exactly one week to the day, later. He finds that there is nothing wrong with the line, which is suspicious because AT&T never touched a thing! Anyway he comes, he fixes the system and wants my tenant to sign a bill for an additional $125. My tenant gets me on the phone and I explain to the technician that I was told I would not receive a second bill because no work was completed the first time. He says that Monitronics is wrong and that he expected to be paid. Well I did not pay him. I spent days and days, including the day of service on the phone with Monitronics who is now telling me that they cannot find the rep who told me that I would not be charged, but that because I was no longer under contract with them that I would have a bill whenever a service technician visited my house, whether or not they did anything. This was contrary to what I was told prior to rescheduling the technician to come out. After weeks of going back and forth with Monitronics, while I thought it was a still active investigation, they sent me to collections. I absolutely would not recommend them or their services to anyone. They give out mis-information and when customers make decisions based on the wrong information given to them, the customer has to pay the price. Now that I am in collections, I am going to give them their $249 so that I will never have to deal with them again. Never, ever again!

• MONI Smart Security Jul 11, 2012

miisrepresentation of facts

High pressure taactics of door-to-door salesperson. He misrepresented what was offered: free installation and...

Be careful

Monitronics would not let me out of contract even after i called with in the three days some one was going to call back but did not then when i called back they said there was no record of me calling and i was stuck in contract unless i would pay like 80% of countract just one big scam.no one wants to help all they want is there money and the system they put in dose not do that good of a job i can break in any time and not set off alarm plus no one told me at any time i would also have to pay the city a fee also more details no one told me about the hole think is not worth it. will never deal with them again nor recomend them to any one.

• Dw
    Dwatson May 10, 2011

Monitronics sent someone to install a new system. the man that showed up explained he had been under a trailer that was full of cat *** and urine and he smelt terrible and was very dirty. I did not get the protection I thought I was going to get!

he put a motion detector in my hallway, which is never really traveled. a bad location for it. it should have been in dining area and gone off last nite, but did not.

a window was broken last nite, the alarm did not even go off.

This system was just installed 2 days ago, and I am terribly let down. It gave me a false sense of security. Right now all i have is holes in my wall and a box that talks...thats it. Fix it, if possible, or come get your system and fix the holes in my wall!

Do not use them

The absolute worst security system ever. None of the systems they have work properly, and they install systems incorrectly and won't come out to fix them. DO NOT USE this Company.

IKnowAlarmSystems Dec 28, 2009

Well your complaint has a lot of broad strokes. "Absolute worst security system ever." Well that would cause you to have had experience with every alarm system ever made. Other wise it is just an exaggeration on your part, making you sound like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons.

"None of the systems they have work properly, and they install systems incorrectly and won't come out to fix them."
    So none of the hundred of thousands of systems monitored by Monitronics you tested worked? I think maybe you didn't but again you are exaggerating to make your point.

I can see your angry, but by making gross statements like does not help your case. Also you should know Monitronics does not install any alarm systems. A local company installed your system and contracted Monitronics to run the monitoring part of it. Its like if your TV broke and you blamed your cable company. The real issue is with your local company that sold you your system in the 1st place. And if you saw the system was installed correctly why didn't you cancel your service in the fist 3 days? (As is standard with all monitoring contracts.)

• Qu
    Qualtech1 Apr 17, 2014

Monitronics is responsible to take care of this customers concerns. The local company may or may not be around any longer, but regardless, the customer has a valid complaint, and the reason the customer is claiming "monitronics" is because that is how monitronics operates as far as pinning their name on the account. To be honest...Monitronics is garbage! I would find a company that will take care of its customers no matter who did the install, and to guarantee service within 48 hours.

Harassing Collection Practices

We signed up for security alarm services with Monitronics in February 2007 at our home in Tempe, AZ. We sold...

Cancelled Contract

DO NOT USE MONITRONICS! I tried to cancell my account three times after my two year commitment ended. I paid the remainder of my contract in full, but I am still receiving bills, and every time I call in to resolve the situation I'm placed on hold for 10-20 minutes. These guys are impossible to end a commitment with.

richc333 Oct 21, 2009

Whoever it is that is in love with or employed by Monitronics and keeps making stupid comments about people whining and go pay your bills, etc. reflects the attitude of the entire company. This is basically how they treat and speak to customers. Are they hurting fo money so badly that they will not let people cancel and even those on month to month contracts(after being loyal customers for years). This whole company operates on fraud and deception. What a way to make a buck! Most everyone I have heard complain here are people who have decided to cancel for legitimate reasons and have already been with this company for a long time. Extortion, deliberately ruining credit and falsely charging for sevice not rendered is a demonstration of very poor business practice and should have been investigated and dealt with a long time ago by D.A. offices or the powers which regulate practice such as this. SHAME ON MONITRONICS! I am in the same boat as the rest of you. Fortunately I am filing bankruptcy and happily adding this company to those un secured creditors who will get nothing!

IKnowAlarmSystems Dec 28, 2009

Did you send in letter? Most alarm contract go month to month after the initial term. (some renew for another year) Monitoring companies will not let service lapse without a cancellation letter in hand. If they did and stopped monitoring you and you were broken into then you would complain that you paid for years and the system didn't work. You would also sue and would win, because you would have a strong case.

unbelievable endless calls

If you want out of the home security contract..FORGET IT. Monitronics is a company who will
latch on to you ( and your personal numbers you give them in confidence ) for any money they
can recieve! I cancelled service, asked for final bill amount and please stop with the harassing calls.
it is still 4 months later and they call me and my contacts up to 4 times a day. If anything, I feel less
secure now then when I ordered my alarm system. everytime the phone rings.
MY ADVICE. ANY COMPANY BESIDES MONITRONICS

• Co
    Comment9-11 Aug 07, 2009

Monitronics service and billing are the worst! The voice service response is 2-3 minutes before Monitronics inquires over the voice line. Further, the customer service will not provide any answers, any contact numbers, or any answers regarding contract questions (but will tell you it is in the contract) or provide any satisfaction UNLESS it's to buy or pay for something...Customer service tells you to do it by mail! Do business with these people at your own risk, and be protected at your own risk, your as well off getting a door alarm from Amway! You can count on them for a BILL to provide to your insurance company for your insurance discount however...

Stay FAR away from Monitronics

The following letter has been sent multiple times to Monitronics with no resolution...

Excuse the following angry tone of this letter, but I am quite frustrated. For the last year I have been dealing with your company's poor customer service. It has resulted in the repositioning of your sign in my front yard so that it's not noticeable to potential clients - and will soon lead to me putting flyers on every house in our community telling this story.

After a year of talking to too many Monitronics representatives on the phone to count... this issue is still not resolved. And it's a measly $40 charge.

It begs one to ask: What is going on?

I've decided to stop calling, since that has not worked previously. I will write it all down here instead. Please forward it to a person that can actually do something about the situation.

The story:

After a botched sales job where the representative misquoted the price of having touchscreens installed (first big disappointment in your company) we had several installation blunders as well. One was that the installer didn't know how to even install the touch screen. The other was that they didn't know how to work it or tell me how to work it. It went on and on until finally things were cleared up by another installer that knew what he was doing.

Through all of them - we were told that our dog would not set off the motion alarm - as they had been rated to 'ignore' small pets. They asked the weight of our dog and concluded it was properly rated. I figured it was the heat sensor that worked according to body size. In any case - with this reassurance (from multiple representatives of your company) - we were not concerned.

Fast forward to our dog, of course, setting off our alarm. Why was this happening? No one at Monitronics could say - but they were willing to eat up our free 'passes' and even charge us for one of the times.

We called as soon as we got the bill and were told it would be taken off, as yes, the charge was ridiculous.

To add insult to injury - we ended up with an alarm system where the motion detector was useless because a small toy-dog would set it off. Very disappointed.

Fast forward to today - the matter is STILL unresolved. This after numerous calls and WASTED hours explaining the same thing again and again. (which is why I'm not calling anymore.)

The last person I talked to was a very nice and seemingly competent supervisor named Sean (ID 8565)

He was VERY clear about doing the following (I made him repeat it - that's how I know how clear he was):

* $21 late fees removed
* Original $39 fee removed
* Original 'free' guard visits removed from record
* NonBillable service call to be set up to see why the alarm was sounding

Sure enough - we had installers come. A good sign! Finally Monitronics was doing what they said they would. They said, "Oh yeah, it might be that the dog sits on the couch and triggers the alarm." To which we said, "Obviously dogs like to get on couches if they're small - that's where they sit." So it was a non-isssue. They should have told us this from the beginning. We would have never set the motion detector. Very simple.

All was good.

Except... the next month I get a BILL AGAIN. $41??????

What is going on? I figured maybe it would take a while for the system to clear it - but no. We still keep getting the same bogus bill.

This needs to be handled asap - and it needs to be handled without further hassle to us. I think that $41 is pretty darn trivial when compared to the warnings we will give to future potential customers (via blogging, word of mouth and flyers if that's what it takes) concerning the complete failure of your ability to handle a simple customer service situation.

So - Thank you in advance for fixing these ridiculous errors on my account asap.

Sincerely yours,

xxx

It's been nearly 2 years since we first signed our contract with Monitronics - and this is still unresolved. Since this letter, there were several more calls that promised to fixed this issue, but in the end never did. At this point, we are waiting for our contract with them to expire.

Save yourself the unnecessary stress... Do not use this company.

IKnowAlarmSystems Dec 28, 2009

As for your initial problems I think you are confusing Monitronics with your installing dealer. Monitronics does not install alarm systems only monitors them. So the genesis the tech not knowing how to install a touch screen keypad or properly mount motion detector is from the company that originally installed your system You should make sure that companies name is mentioned here as well. And FYI it might not have been your dog setting it off. Placement and adjustment of motions is a skill not all tech seem to have. And they should have had a grace period of the motion not reporting signals till all the kinks were worked out.

So was the 41$ on the bill for the guard response? about the installing company that stared all this? Have you brought them into the fray? What (To people not from Las Vegas, the police do not respond to alarms in Sin City - a private guard has to be sent.)

angle1429 Jan 03, 2010

Motions are a funny thing. Would you be ### had it been set off by a person in your home trying to steel everything. Don't think so. granted you should have been told from the start the dog may set it off but I also would have figured it out after that alarm went off the first time.

to Richc333 Last I checked Monitronics had been in business for 15 years so I don't see how thats possible if they extort and falsely charging for services not rendered to their customers. Or I guess it was just you. the company must have a personal vendetta agents you. So far in mu business with Monitronics there has never been a single action taken that wasn't already explicitly written out in my contract and if everyone that was so fast to complain would have actually taken a look at it before it was installed probably 90 percent of the complaints about the company wouldn't exist because you either would have known what was going to happen such as late charges, or wouldn't have gotten it installed.

And I'm really sick of seeing people complain about not being able to get out of their contract. What exactly do you think a contract is?

• Su
    Super Tech Jul 20, 2010

I have worked in the security industry for 6 years now and though i dont work for Monitronics i have to tell you that they are a very responsible and reputable company when you compare them to the ones currently in the market... it is unfortunate that you had a bad experience with your broker whether it was direct or indirect... If i understand correctly you're still under agreement as you said its being 2 years since you signed it and most AMA's last 3 years unless you have a 5 year AMA so you should expect the $41 statement to still be mailed to you unless you are on default which in that case you may be sent to collections... Anyhow you may not like the way this sounds but you signed up for it you might aswell just get them to give you an 80 lbs motion detector or move the motion (pir) you currently have in the premises to a different location so that way you can enjoy your system and have the peace of mind that you and your family if you live with any family members are being protected, and also fullfilling your obligations as the customer... as far as the charges im sure there is always a way to get a reasonable credit on the account for the time you didnt use it... SO!!! what im trying to say is that there are many things you can do as a customer to get your problem resolved, and i think that sometimes companies cant always control what their employees do and what not... a lot of the blame in your case goes to the tech side for leaving the premises without making sure that everything was cleared and that you didnt have any questions, but that didnt happen and that is why you have this feedback letter posted... My last thing to say to you is give yourself a break and give them a break too people aren't perfect and thats just the way life is sometimes we have to go through crapy stuff so that we can be better or understand things better... I hope this helps!!! I'll check it again in a week to see if you have any comments!!! Have a Blessed life !!!

• Fe
    Fernagu Sep 10, 2010

I also agree, Monitronics is only a monitoring alarm company. They do not sell nor install alarm systems.

Will Not Cancel Service

Almost two years ago after fulfilling our two year contract we called Monitronics to cancel service because our system needed repair and they never came to repair it, and were told we couldn't do that over the phone, we had to send a certified letter. Which we did. THREE TIMES! Then they said we needed to send ANOTHER letter to a different letter, which we did, THREE TIMES! All the while they continued to charge us for each month's service and send bills, and each month we would call them and go over all of this with them to no avail. Put us in collections too! They just will not stop calling and will not let you disconnect. Called again at 7:07 AM this morning, I have HAD IT but don't know who to report them to. If anyone knows who to report them to PLEASE let me know! I want to sue these people!

Jason May 28, 2009

Sue them. Small claims court. Hopefully you sent them the letters with some form of tracking to prove that they received them. IANAL.

IKnowAlarmSystems Dec 28, 2009

Take your all your documentation and the receipts from the certified letters .(especially the 1st one) Have a lawyer write a send the documentation & letter saying to close the account and repay you for all the billing & damages after the 1st letter. If not you will bring suit and subpoena all the records from the company you need to prove they received your 1st letter and kept billing in error. I think you will be happy what one little letter will accomplish. (Hint - you can write it your self and make it look like its from a lawyer.) he he he

• Ti
    Tia Teresa Flores Dec 31, 2016

I've had a bad service and don't want them any longer for our security support. When I explained that my bill keeps going up in price and had no additional Camera's and wanted it to stop they told me I can't cancel my service with them in till February.
    I told them lower the bill back to my usual price, they took it from 57.00 to 44.00 and no reason way it was going so high.
    Also change there name of companies. And try to charge for the sign put in your yard. Big Changes Coming soon.
    Also buying the battery's for there system on Wall at battery plus twenty Dollars each. And sensors don't work properly.
    I deserve better. Teresa

I wish I would have never signed up!

Monitronics has provided good security services. I signed a 3 year contract with one of their installers Sound Security Group, LLC. I have had the service for almost 1 year.

I signed up in March 2008 and had a nice security system installed. My husband and I knew we were moving with in the year to the same zip code in Colorado, the gentleman that signed us up said "no problem, call us and we will transfer it".

I contacted Sound Security in the middle of Jan informing them of our move Feb 1. I STILL HAVE NO SECURTIY SYSTEM IN OUR NEW HOUSE. I HAVE CALLED ALMOST EVERY DAY, I WAS PUT ON HOLD ONCE FOR OVER 1 HOUR. I CONTINUE TO GET THE SAME RESPONSE - I CONTACTED THE LOCAL INSTALLER AND HE WILL CONTACT YOU TO SCHEDULE TRANSFER.

Unfortunately I am in a 3 year contract. I wish I would have never signed up with them in the first place. I am currently paying monthly for a security system installed in a house we no longer live in.

I will continue to call everyday and post an online comment everyday until they let me out of the contract or transfer my service.

High Pressure Tactics

I used monitronics for a about 18 months but when I moved they threatened me endlessly so I continued to pay out the contract. On my last 2 checks I wrote - contract ends on ___ date, and on the last check I put paid in full.

They continued to harass me stating that I hadn't given them proper notification and that my contract was still valid. I probably got 30 or more calls from them... I just told them that I would LOVE to see them in court so to please go ahead and take me there! I haven't heard from them in awhile now, but they are NOT a reputable company. Period. Take your business elsewhere. There is no good faith or customer service type attitudes, only rude people who are pushy and will threaten you.

STAY AWAY FROM MONITRONICS!!!

JohnBgood Jan 23, 2011

So you signed a 36 month contract, wanted out of it early, and are angry? Try doing that with a car lease. Its a contract. Also in the contract are the cancellation terms. After the initial 36 months are up, you must inform them IN WRITING 30 days prior to cancellation. I am pretty sure writing on your check doesn't meet that criteria. You are angry because you don't want to meet your contractual obligations, not because of any wrongdoings on the part of Monitronics.

Charged for services for one year after alam had been cancelled

I had a alarm system placed in my house. The installer was not able to get "good reception" so I would have the alam go off all of the time for no reason. After 8 different techs had come to my house and they too were unable to get the alarm to work. I finally had medtronics stop payment on my account. It was a huge deal I had to sent a letter in writing saying the account needed to be closed. A few days after I sent the letter I called to make sure they were not charging my account any more. I was assured payments would be stopped. Well, now it's a year later and I just signed up for online banking and noticed thousands of dollars that have been withdrawn from my account from medtronics. I'm sure it is going to be a huge battle with medtronics to get my money back.

Security monitoring

When I signed up for Monitronics, the contracts states I must have an active phone system at all time. I have a phone system but changed carriers. Monitronics informed me that they couldn't monitor with the phone system I had unless I bought a piece for $350.00 to go with the alarm system. I told them their contract didn't state that - that is just stated I must have a phone system and they needed to rectify the issue, not try to sell me a piece to add to my system. They refused and hung up on me.