Brinks Home Security Logo

Brinks Home Security

Having problems with Brinks Home Security?

+1 800 447 9239 (Customer Service)
+1 855 910 7980 (Sales & New Service)
+1 800 595 2059 (Dealer Relations)
+1 469 513 8685 (Text Only)
1990 Wittington Pl.
Written Correspondence
MONI, PO Box 814530, Dallas, TX 75381-4530

Complaints & Reviews

Wrongful Termination

I was hired originally as a nanny for the owner of VESS which is a Monitronics Distributor/installer. Well, I was quickly moved from nanny duties to "light office work" wich included doing collections for Monitronics on a daily basis continuosly throughout the day. I was told to call customers with the same issue over and over through out the day if they did not make a payment, it was borderline harrasment. After about a month I was sent out on a "job" to perform an install on a new Dell computer. I guess the owner of VESS is also working for Dell on the side, I have never installed a computer professionally and I had only been on one call with him prior. I arrived at the customers home and they were very upset. They called Dell and complained and I was then fired from Monitronics because I did not complete a Dell Assignment. This company does not know what it is doing and I am very dissapointed and have lost trust on home business owners. Because i was let go for no reason and when I was paid I was paid from a personal monitronics account without removing taxes, I am not even able to collect from unemployment, because of the owners inability to run a company I have now become so much in debt that I can only hope to get out ok.

angle1429 Jan 03, 2010

You were working with a dealer... not monitronics. Get it strait dude. Monitronics has nothing to do with installing systems, only monitoring the systems. You should be more specific when talking about a business because this sounds like that installing dealer was a real pos. Why you would be paid from an account that has anything to do with Monitronics is really fishy to. i would forward that info to the monitronics company because some legal action might be taken. Maybe it's the account Monitronics pays that installing company for service threw???? i don't know..

Harassment

I would strongly advise against Monitronics! When I moved, they forced me to continue to pay for my contract (no buy-out) and then when it ended they have continued to harass me about the bill because they state that is wasn't good enough for me to write on my last 3 checks : Contract cancelled. I told them to go ahead and take me to court ... but they said no, they were just going to keep calling and calling and calling... this is their tactics.

Use another company!!!1

• Ro
    Robert and Jamielee Mears Oct 08, 2008

I am writting because I have sent 2 cancellation letters to your company. The first one you never received, so I sent another. I keep getting calls and letters from you guys and dont understand what is going on. I have been a customer of yours for a long time, and have sent people to you. I have NEVER, EVER, had a problem with montronices before. Could you please find out what the problem is, so I can stop getting phone calls. I am certainly doing my part, so please do yours. Thank you for your time. I will post a copy of the letter I have sent. Please send me something back, to let me know that this problem is taken care of.

To Monitronics:
    I am canceling my services because we have a big dog, and donot need at this time. If in the future we need service, we will be sure to call you back. Thank you for doing a great job protecting our home. We have had you guys for about 9 or 10 years and would recommend you to anyone. Thank you again for your services and have a blessed day. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 478-952-6444.

Robert Mears

Terrible company

I have already made a report, but when I read some of the newer ones, I had to respond. I sent a registered...

not monitoring as they say and want payment

I have a Monotronics home security system and they were to debt my account each month, this payment type had not happened yet. When I mail my payments, they do not post for at least two months and they call me asking for payments. Then I set my alarm off by accident too many times to count and they never call to make sure I don't need help. They say there are monitoring me but, there are no calls at all. I am not monitored so what am I paying for?

calls for payment when payment has already been made

I pay my bill on time every single month!!! They call every month before the bill is even due asking for a...

Updated alarm system charges!

Monitronics is ripping off their customers stating the FCC has made changes from analogue to digital and they have to come out to your house to change your security system. They give you three options to choose from. A letter states those three options as follows:

1: "Monitronics will install a new $350 digital transmitter for FREE in your existing security system. All that is required of you is a $30 trip charge and a $69 re-activation fee.

2: Monitronics will install a new $350 digital transmitter for FREE in your existing security system. You only pay a $30 trip charge, a $19 re-activation fee and agree to a 6 month extension on your Monitoring Agreement.

3: Monitronics will install a new $350 digital transmitter for FREE in your existing security system. All you pay is a $30 trip charge and agree to an 18-month extension to your Monitoring Agreement."

None are of these options are acceptable to me. I don't want their service any longer but under my contract I have until 8-2008 to finish the contract. I am told that my system will not work after Feb 18, 2008. However, I have to pay one way or the other for them to come out and change from analogue to digital even though I do not want their service, but they are going to continue to bill me for the alarm system even through it does not work. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IS LEGAL--I have to pay even through the system does not work. I should have an option to discontinue the service especially when it is not going to work. I already paid once for this service, I do not intend to pay twice. Please advise smb!

sandra Feb 21, 2008

They are doing the same thing to me too! I have three businesses and they are all being monitored by them. I can't even explain how upset and unsatisfied I am with this company and how it has cost me money$$$$. They took more then 10 minutes to contact the police after I gave them the go ahead to send them out and my store got wipped out. In one incident they didn't register my permit number on their end and they refused to call the police becuase they said the police would not go. UNTRUE! The police can't refuse to come out when a crime is being committed and I did have my permit Monitronics just didn't record it. (IDIOTS) The police had my permit number and Monitronics lied to me and said that they did contact the police and they refused to go. The police never recieved a call. Why would they lie? So, I am refusing to pay to upgrade my systems becuase that is BS and there has to be something we can do. They are taking advantage of consumers and their has to be law to protect us. Anybody have any ideas?

• Jr
    J. Rios Jul 12, 2008

I agree with what is being said here. I too have come up with the same kind of problem but with another alarm company. My system stopped working right after February 18th and the key pad began to beep. I then called customer service several times but each time I was kept waiting. The longest wait time was 45 minutes which is just wrong. We should not have to pay for a piece of equipment that is needed in order for the alarm to work. And why is it that when we try to get a hold of somone we can never speak to someone. Well guess what, I put a stop payment on my account and they were quick to call me. I had a very agressive conversation with the biling person and afterwards she sends me to technical services. After ten minutes went by I hung up.

James Muldrew Jul 29, 2008

I had a Monotronics Alarm System installed in my home about three years ago. Almost immediatley I had problems with the system. There were problems with my phone line, wires left exposed which I till this day have not been repaired. I also recieved a letter from Monotronics that my system was installed incorrectley and was told a service reprsentative would get in touch with me to set up a date to fix the problem which to this day they have not. I made several calls to the company and the problem has still not been repaired. I stopped making payments for a system that did not work and now I get calss weekly from the company and have been reported to the credit bureau. I made payment in full so this would not go down as me not complying with the contract and to keep up what until now has been an excellent Credit Rating. Can someone give me a idea which is my best way to pursue this problem and have it resolved. Thanks

• Ed
    E dias Aug 13, 2008

I CANCELED my contract with monotronics recntly because the batteries blow on a weekly basis. the problem is that they are expensive and they cannot be found.

jonathan hall Oct 14, 2008

I think everyone should consider the fact that you will be required to buy a convertor box for your television or it will stop working at the beginning of 2009. It is the same situation with the alarm system. I paid for my upgrade without having an issue with it as I will do with my older televisions. Also, everyone has to realize that Monitronics just monitors the alarm system, it doesn't install or service the system. The dealer I had with ADT was terrible so I switched to Monitronics and my current dealer has been great. You have to look at the company that handles your installation!!

Canceled contract, still billed!

We moved in June 2006 and requested a system move. We were told we would be contacted by an independent contract, but after a month we gave up on that, 1 month NO monitoring service. We contacted them a second time and requested the service, still no contact, a second month of no service... THEIR poor service. NOTE: Still paying the bills and don't own a house with an installed system because they haven't lived up to their agreement to move the system. Third month we request cancellation and are told that our service is canceled... now get this, we THEN got a call from an independent contractor wanting to install a system for Monitronics based on a work order dated the day I called the third time. By now it's September 2006 and I call them a 4th time very upset that an install was canceled and I'm told that my account does have a note about the cancellation. October comes and with it another bill... so I call a fifth time and I'm given explicit direction on how to cancel the account and stop charges immediately which I follow to the letter (and have records in my file). I receive a bill in November and call... only they can't find my name or either address in their system (canceled right?). I continued receiving bills and continued calling and it took until August 2007 and a very IRATE discussion that this needs to end NOW to connect me to their Executive Response Group who refuses to acknowledge any of my past contacts or the information they provided and proceeds to tell me that I owe over $400 in monitoring fees. She acknowledged the cancellation letter (which by the way stated that charges would stop effective the date of the letter that was sent or they would respond... they never responded).

I called for a simple account payment history so that I can confirm that their records match mine and it takes 20 minutes!! And to top that all off, the customer service person thought she had me on hold and said, "My customers are not very nice today. In fact they are getting on my nerves"... HELLO your company has been getting on my nerves for over a year now, you get 5 minutes of my attitude and if you don't like it get yourself a job with a reputable company!

MONITRONICS is about as shady a company as I have ever seen. They violated the agreement which was given when service was started to 1) provide customer service, 2) move the system free of charge, 3) provide honest business.

Monitronics to this day is completely NON responsive to a Better Business Bureau claim... typical, they are non-responsive to everything! Alarms, contract cancellations, complaints, service calls, etc!

Shady contracts and poor customer service

Issues with Monitronics Home Security service:

Last September I had an alarm go off at my house. Well, I didn't find out about it till almost 4 hours later. The Police had already came and gone several hours before I was notified or the individual who was my emergency contact. I was very dissatisfied with the service and instructed the customer service agent to cancel my service. At the point I was told that I would have to send them a letter with my name, address, and my customer info in it with the request to cancel my service. Well, of course they denied ever getting it. I sent them a second letter this time and due to a job change relocated thinking the matter was solved. A few months go by and I come home and discover that they still had not terminated my contract. I called their customer service and received more run around and finally I was instructed to send the same letter but, with all the info mentioned before but, they wanted time to include my password and passcode in the new letter. Why would someone ask for all this in a letter that was going through the public mail. When dealing with secure documents you never send them through public forums. Then the supervisor I spoke with told me that they are not responsible for delivering what they sell. She claimed in the contract they still get paid basically if they do not provide the service they advertise. I would warn any consumer against ever doing business with this company. Shady contracts and poor customer service are not traits of a company I would hire to handle home security.

Poor customer service!

I have tried calling Monitronics 5 times to check/change my password, every time they are unable to help me. So Finally, I had a false alarm tonight. My alarm went off for no reason. and even when they called me asking for my password they didn't know what triggered it. I gave them my password, everything seemed fine. Well, i get a call an hour and half later and the person said the police were on their way and that there was nothing they could about it "they were sending the police for my safety" Apparently there was a misunderstanding about my password and I had no password on record. I starting going balastic at the guy on the phone saying I had tried to verify my password on the phone 5 times! Their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered.

• Fe
    Fernagu Sep 10, 2010

As a former employee of Monitronics, I can tell you that if you DO NOT know your password, you cannot change it by calling in. The password needs to be mailed to you in order for you to obtain it and then change it.(It isnt their fault you forgot it, really and they certainly do not want to just give your password out to anyone calling in). Second, if you had the wrong password, they wouldnt tell you you had it wrong. Of course they would send out police to make sure all is ok. And third, you getting a call an hour later, well thats normal. Depending on the signal received, we would wait for the police to arrive and make sure everything at the residence is secure (depending on the police dept, it could take 5 minutes or 5 hours, depending on police resources). So, it isnt necessarily BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. This is for your protection. Bad comes to worse, ask for a supervisor, and deal is done.

[Resolved] Refusal to stop service

This is the absolute worst refusal to stop service. I am going to seek each and every avenue to file legal and ethical complaints against Monitronics Security Services. Fortunately we had no real need for their services for the 3 years that we did utilize them. To me they have proved to be ONLY a money collection spot and I will be seeking out "CLASS ACTION LEGAL ACTIONS" because I can be assured at the manner in which Monitronics does conduct business, there is most certainly a legal penalty!!!

RESOLVED

• Ed
    Edward Bride Jan 03, 2008

I am now encountering similar problem with Monitronics. They continue to pull money from my account after the contract ended. After my home burned, I was told that I had to continue to make payment because I was still under contract, After my home was reconstructed, I called them serveral time to install the system back, but I was told that they did not have an agent in my area and that I should have gotten someone to install it for me, even though they were still receiving automatic payments from my account.

sam223 Jul 03, 2013

Monitronics has bad customer service. their equipment is obsolete and they
    Continue to charge premium prices without upgrading their services

• MONI Smart Security Jul 08, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,
    Thank you for informing me of your concern. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with us. I understand your frustrations regarding your concern with our customer service agents and I will like to assist you to resolve any questions or concerns you may have. Please contact me at 855-299-2081 Monday through Thursday 10:30am-7:30pm and Friday 8:30am-5:00pm Central Time.
    Chris Khouthong
    Executive Response

Cancelled service and still billed

In February of 2005 my house was sold with the security system. When cancelling with monitronics they said the only way to not pay is if the new owners took over our security system with monitronics. Which the new owners agreed. Then one and a half years later we go to purchase a new home and on our credit report we owe monitronics $300.00.??? From what??? When we called and argued, we were told that we never cancelled in enough time and no where in there records did it show I called. Hummm weird then how would I have known there policies? Well it's 06/2007 and I'm paying 300.00 to get this off my credit report. So who won here??? They need to get there policies straight and maybe monitor who takes calls in there office. how can they monitor homes safe and secure?

• Ph
    philly Apr 16, 2008

I'm still dealing with an issue of being overbilled my Monitronics. From day one they were a customer service nightmare! At the end of my contract I sent a letter asking them to discontinue the service. They continued to send me bills for the next three months. They finally stopped billing but claim that I never requested to cancel and are still trying to collect $300...

• Al
    Alex Huerta Mar 18, 2009

The ### are doing the same thing to me. I canceled in July of 2008. They have it in there records that I wanted to cancel. I mailed out the letter. Moved out and today March 2009 they are still charging me. After getting off the phone they will give me a 100 dollar credit. Why should I pay, for something I don't owe!!!
    I even agreed to start a new contract if they would wipe that dept. I will never do business with them again. I advise other people do the same!!!

[Resolved] Stay away from Monitronics at all costs!

My complaint is against Monitronics Security. I had a contract with them in Mississippi with a system the...

[Resolved] Failure to stop billing

This is old stuff, but I was cleaning out some old paperwork from my desk, and decided to Google Monitronic...

Unauthorized billing, failure to stop service

I canceled the service when we moved; they continued to draw payment from bank account for two months. When I called, they requested a faxed cancellation letter, which I sent. They continued to draw money from my account for three more months. My bank agreed this was unauthorized and stopped all further payments. They then keep billing me...

UPDATE... after being on hold interminably, Clay Barker, a retention supervisor, finally agreed to zero out my account. He acknowledged that they did not cancel the service as they should. This was call #7 to them from me, with probably 20 calls from them for collection purposes left on my answering machine.

Bad company!!! Very poor business practices. Stay away from Monitronics! (By the way, their product was not good either. Their machinery kept breaking down.)

• Li
    Lisa Ann Jul 13, 2007

I have had problems with monitronics too. I will never use them again or refer to them to my friends or neighbors. I have called them five times trying to change my password. No one will help me. In fact I found out tonight that I don't have a password in record. When my alarm went off tonight, a false alarm I tried to tell them that it was a false alarm, but they wouldn't listen to me and sent the police anyways. Don't use Monitronics!

Do they exist?

Three "representatives" from other Alarm System Companies have visited us indicating Monitronics, Inc. is no longer servicing Puerto Rico. Therefore, if this is true, Monitronics had not being monitoring our homes since.... I do not know when, but am working to find out. My reason to believe this is true is that whenever the alarm is activated, nobody calls to check it out. The few times they ever responded, although I have asked for a techician to visit us, nobody has come.

Thanks,
Aida

Company details:
Monitronics, International, Inc. 12801 N. Stemmons Freeway, Suite 821 Dallas TX [protected]

• Ow
    own it Apr 14, 2010

Have you thought about, I don't know, testing your system? That might help a bit. Call the main office 1-800-447-9239

• Ad
    ADPPR Sep 17, 2010

I'm having the same issues!!! By far this is the WORST "MONITORING SECURITY SERVICE" available.

• Di
    Dianee Sep 19, 2018

I cancelled my security system aver 6 months ago when my contract was up. I then put a stop payment on credit card charges and am now getting phone calls about an account that is no longer there. We have moved out of the home and are no longer in the area. Stop the harassing calls as I have contacted the Attorney Generals office about this matter.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices