Menu
BooksRun
reviews & complaints

BooksRun
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

49 complaints
46 resolved 3 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by BooksRun customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of BooksRun. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
R
7:22 pm

BooksRun - Selling books to Booksrun

On 2/28/22 I put my Son's book on here:

Isbn10: 0393664643

Isbn13: 9780393664645

Condition: Used - Very Good

Title: WE THE PEOPLE,ESSENTIALS ED. BookRun was buying for $17.28

Originally bought from University of Cincinnati Blueash bookstore.

Booksrun received the book I sent to them & said it was counterfeit. That is a total SCAM . I hope nobody else use this place. I hate to think what would happen if I bought a book from Booksrun

Desired outcome: Refund of My $17.28 like originally told

L
7:25 pm

BooksRun - texbook rental

I rented a book from Booksrun. When the rental was up, I received a reminder and promptly put the book in the mail with the address return label provided. I received no more reminders about book, figured book was returned. Five months later I get charged at first $30, then $80, then $100+ for this book that I don't even have and now I'm trying to figure out where my mail receipt was because, well, five months passed before they decided they didn't have it--a nice amount of time that makes it likely people think the return is okay and don't have receipts. I'm sure that's a coincidence...

Desired outcome: I don't want to be charged for a book I sent back almost six months ago!

8:18 pm

BooksRun - Purposely Lowering Resell Value after Receiving Books

I originally used BooksRun to sell two textbooks, valued at 25 dollars together - they took forever to send their check and marked the price down to 8 dollars because of heavy wear and water damage, I disagreed, but it was my best option so I assumed it was a mistake and moved on. Sold another book with them later in the semester that I barely used so that I could resell it - I bought it brand new and only used it for half of the semester because I received it late. Most of the time it was kept in its packaging so I could keep the resell value high. I literally wouldn't even carry it in my backpack to make sure it didn't get creases and I could at least get a good amount of cashback. The value for this from BooksRun was 44 dollars (originally 120) and after two months, they marked it down to 17 dollars because of "heavy wear". The 'heavy wear' in question was two pictures of my book I received: a blank page with no damage, and a half inch waterdrop. They charged me 9 dollars to have it sent back to me if I rejected the new offer.

Desired outcome: I don't want them to take advantage of other students and give them a fair price.

11:25 am

BooksRun - Customer Service

#2751523

I received a quote for 50 dollars less even though their complaints totaled to less than three dollars. Their live chat feature has had me waiting "5 minutes" for over an hour. I reached out to email and nothing yet, although recently. They do not answer their phone either. It is a fundamental scam that preys upon poor college students who will take every penny they can get. I am sure they dispute every quote and always pay less or force you to pay money and ship it back. Lacks transparency and is exploitative. I will be filing suit if I do not hear back and my attorney who specializes in corporate law is formulating a cease-and-desist. Willing to go to all measures to ensure this company stops with the tomfoolery.

A soon to be lawyer

Desired outcome: A resolution

M
6:15 pm

BooksRun - Reducing price of books after receiving

I sold Booksrun eight books that they gave me a quote of $59.73 for them. When they received my books each one was given a lower price. The new price for the eight books was $47.83. I was not told why the price of each book was being reduced. They send you an e-mail asking you if you want to accept their new price. What are you to do if they have your books and you won't get them back. If I knew they were going to reduce my prices I would have sold them to another vendor. I will not be selling anymore books to Booksrun. This is not the first time they have done this to me but it will be the last. I was sent an e-mail on 1/7/2022 saying I would receive my check no later than 2/04/2022. I actually received the check on 1/25/2022. Don't waste your time selling your boos to these people.
Olin Cooper 1/25.2022

L
11:25 am

BooksRun - Order #69800545 - book never mailed

I have been trying to contact Booksrun since 1/10/22 and only just received a reply today 1/17/22 after contacting them via Facebook. The tracking information indicates that the book was not delivered to the post office. This was confirmed when I opened an investigation with the post office. I have provided the service request number via email to Booksrun.

At this point, in addition to a refund of the money I paid, I would like an additional $27.86 so I can purchase the same book used through my school's bookstore. I have provided screenshots and a link to verify the price via email to Booksrun. This has been a huge headache and very stressful.

Desired outcome: A refund of the money I paid, I would like an additional $27.86 so I can purchase the same book used through my school's bookstore.

BooksRun - Total scam for book buyback

I sent two books that were in good condition and got an email saying that they both had water damage. That was not possible, one was almost brand new. If there was damage it happened in their possession and not mine. I sent two books of good quality. I feel this is a very dishonest business practice. I sell books regularly and I've never had this issue with any other company. I have no practical option at this point but to accept their offer but never again.

Desired outcome: Honor full quote

3:25 pm

BooksRun - Textbook

I put in an order for a textbook about two weeks ago. The next day I found out I no longer needed the book so I sent an email to the company asking them if I could cancel the order. I didn't get a response until a week later telling me that the order was already shipped and there was nothing they could do. I let them know way ahead of time I didn't need the book and now I'm stuck with it and don't know what to do. I've been calling everyday for a week now and emailing. I've gotten no other responses. I'm very irritated and I don't plan on using this company again in the future.

Desired outcome: Refund for textbook

P
4:42 pm

BooksRun - Wrong bikj

Been calling them ever since my order arrived, it was the wrong book I already started school and I don't know what to do at this point. I have never encounter anything like this and it is highly unprofessional. They got the money for the book but I receive what I order. Nobody is answering the phone so I can get this issue resolved. I need help fast

G
1:18 pm

BooksRun - Books never received

Hello,

My order # and supporting documentation are attached. I ordered five books on 08/21/2021. Three of the five books I ordered on 08/21/2021 did not arrive but the tracking number says it was delivered. The three books are:

Isbn10: 1540814793
$19.35Isbn10: 1591266289
Isbn13: 9781591266280
Condition: Used - Very Good
Quantity: 1
Title: PPI PE Civil Companion for the Sixteenth Edition - A Supportive Resource Guide for the NCEES PE Civil Exam
$7.16

The USPS tracking # is 9449037902643856494925 which says they were delivered on May 24, 2021, to an address in Philadelphia (which I believe is where booksrun is based). So not only is the delivery address associated with the tracking number incorrect, it is also impossible that the books were delivered on May 24, 2021, since I ordered on August 21, 2021. I desperately need my books to study for my upcoming exam, I have sent an e mail and a message to booksrun in hopes of resolving this issue. I did not hear back yet.

Desired outcome: I want to know: 1) the status of the order 2) the correct tracking number with a correct estimate on delivery 3) a reliable means of communication with the company so that I know this is actually being handled correctly

10:53 am

BooksRun - Book buyback

I sold back a Physics book for what I was told would be $31.10. When credited only $24.88, I immediately contacted BooksRun and asked for the original amount or the book back. They told me that the book wasn't in the condition indicated, which was completely false. What they didn't know was that I took pics of the book before I sent it in. When I provided the evidence that the book was in good condition, they completely stopped responding and have not provided the $6.22 difference. Why fight over such a small amount, you might ask? Because companies need to be held accountable for their unethical business practices. You don't get to keep my book and my money.

Desired outcome: Return of $6.22 difference

12:06 am

BooksRun - E-Book version of Modified Mastering Geography with Pearson

Paid for a ebook with courseware that I cannot access. The ebook gives you a redeemable code that CANNOT be used if professor chooses not use the book, because you will not have the course/program ID to register with Pearson to be able to access the material paid for. After a week plus, Booksrun has still failed to provide me a refund or an alternative way to access the material I paid for! Currently very disappointed and will NOT be using BooksRun again!

Desired outcome: Still no access to product or refund!

Booksrun refunded half of my charge. This was satisfactory because I believe part of the blame is to be placed on the college for not maintaining a timely listing of the current required text books. Kudos to Angelina at Booksrun for staying in continued communication with me until we came to a satisfactory solution. You can close out this complaint out. Thank you, ChrisZ

3:22 pm

BooksRun - Book buy back

I sent a textbook that I bought for college from my university library. It is certainly in good condition and legitimate now BooksRun is making me pay nearly 9 dollars to receive a return of my book which they quoted as being worth over 40 dollars. This is a fraud. I'm out of work due to this pandemic and this company is ripping me off when I'm selling everything I own to survive. Heartbreaking.

12:10 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

BooksRun - This business is a scam.

They lie about keeping their quotes valid. I sent them a book quoted for $40 and $8 and they claimed there was water damage, adjusting the value to $20 and $3, reducing the return by half. Either way they jip you and make money off of. The one book was sent with two other books and was brand new, those weren't adjusted, so there's no way one could have had...

K
8:01 pm

BooksRun - Counterfeit books

I just write this complaint in regards of packages #2056274, #2069946, #2040430, and #2067890.
I have never received a notification that I wasnt going to paid for these. Can you all please either return them of partially pay me? Not only I wasted money on buying the books but it seems unfair that I dont get nothing in return. All other sites that i have sold books too I have no issues with them.

K
12:33 am

BooksRun - Counterfeit books

I just want my packages I have sent for buyback be returned to me. I dont know how to identify counterfeit books but they punish me for it by disabling my acccount and not paying for the legitimate books. Any other site I have sold ihave zero issues. Here? A bunch of problems. They just don't want to pay. I lost 5 - 6 packages this way which is around $400. I am beyond angry with the company and they use the pretext of their policies. I have tried to talk to them to return the books to me but to no avail. Can they just please be lenient? If they continue this way, I wont be suprised they will lose business someday.

Update by Katie Halo
Nov 04, 2020 6:05 pm

I think Booksrun should reevaluate their policies because they can't keep my packages. I want to know what they do to them. I swear they lost my trust and a loyal customer of 4 years. I am just an honest college student who tries to earn some money and this is how this company treats me. I have paid good money over the sent packages, knowing that I qas going to get a check in the mail. They FAILED to notify me over which books they couldnt accept. The least they could do was pay me over the good books and I wouldnt be here complaining. They FAILED to do that. I am starting to believe that any book is a counterfeit book so that they wont have to pay.

10:58 am
The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

BooksRun - Never received a check!

I contacted you on 10/24 and was told to wait until 10/9. I still have not received my Check that was sent out 9/11/20 from order # 2010187. I was told to contact you if it was not received my 10/9/20, but Tom The Robot on Live Chat will not answer my questions on the BooksRun website. Why according to the tracking was:
1. sent before 9/11
2. sent to PA when I live in NJ?

Also, you have on file that my check was sent 9/11/20.

Tracking Number: 9449037902643856972959

Status

September 8, 2020 at 4:59 pm
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19134
Get Updates

Update by Beth40907
Dec 02, 2020 9:39 am

WHAT"S THE HOLD UP? Still waiting for a replacement check. See Below: Laсrecia 10:32
Hello. How may I help you?
Visitor 10:32
You have been transferred to: Tom.

Tom 10:36
Tom the Robot is glad to help you while other agents are not currently available! Would you like to ask about your existing order?
Visitor 10:36
Hello?
why was my check delivered to Phila. PA when I live in NJ?
Tracking Number: 9449037902643856972959 Your item was delivered at 4:59 pm on September 8, 2020 in PHILADELPHIA, PA 19134. Status Delivered September 8, 2020 at 4:59 pm Delivered PHILADELPHIA, PA 19134 Get Updates
Visitor 10:41
Also, you have on file that my check was sent 9/11/20
Read

Track Another Package +

Track Packages
Anytime, Anywhere

Get the free Informed Delivery® feature to receive automated notifications on your packages
Learn More

Update by Beth40907
Oct 10, 2020 11:00 am

Sorry not 10/24 I contacted BooksRun on 9/24

M
3:51 pm

BooksRun - Selling textbooks

Mailed two brand new textbooks, should have received $74.07 for both books, which in itself is a ripoff! They received my books and evidently they were damaged in shipping. They never notified me that the books arrived damaged. They sent them to usps dead mail. One book was a brand new $200 coding book! Now I have to figure out how to retrieve my books from the post office! This company needs to be held accountable!

1:33 pm

BooksRun - selling books

The BookRun does not email updates, so you must go into your order online using the app or webpage. I sold them $42.00 worth of books. They contacted me once about processing my books and told me my order would be completed shortly. After issuing a second customer service email to BookRun they ignored my email and canceled my order. There was still no contact from BookRun about these changes. They have not issued my order back to me or told me why they decided to cancel my order. I fell their lack of communication means they will keep the books I sold them and not pay me. This action is them stealing from me, and I will be forced to file a legal police complaint if they do no resolve the issue in a timely manner. Please, look into this issue and help me find the resolution.

11:22 am

BooksRun - order number 1559892

Received check for 43.73 on 11/04/2019 that was cut on 10/18/2019 when I went to Capital One, N.A. to cash the check the bank informed me that their account said it was not set for positive pay. I called the customer service number and was told they would research with their bank why it was saying that and would get back with me in 2 to 3 business days. I advised them if I do not have my check reissued and overnighted to me tomorrow or have not heard of it being turned to positive pay then I will be researching to press fraud charges as they knowingly sent a check out for products that they knew would not be cashed.

Update by Crystal Rogers
Nov 05, 2019 11:39 am

I resolved this on my own.

BooksRun contacts