Having problems with BBVA?

+1 800 266 7277 (Customer Service)
+1 800 239 5175 (Credit Card)
+1 800 239 1996 (Loan and Automated Loan Payoff)
+1 888 853 6346 (New Mortgage and Home Loans)
+1 800 273 1057 (Online and Mobile Banking)
+1 866 342 2512 (International (Mexico)
15 20th St. S Ste 1501
Sat8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

unauthorized billing

I rarely use my Compass Bank VISA. In a pinch, I used it for a $13.53 charge. The bill arrived, and I paid it slightly past the 30 days due. They hit me with a $19 late fee. I called to ask that the late fee -- which is more than the charge -- be waived. They said I had to fax the request. I faxed the request, and said I would pay the current bill as soon as I was apprised of the dispute outcome. I then received another bill showing that the initial late fee was waived, BUT, COMPASS VISA CHARGED ME A SECOND LATE FEE OF $19 while my request to waive the initial late fee was pending!! They were aware that I was awaiting the outcome of the initial request in order to send an accurate amount. I called Compass VISA this morning and was on the phone for 1 hour, 3 minutes ... passed from the initial representative to the floor supervisor Elaine (Alabama), then waited 18 minutes for her to find a Product Manager who could not be located, and then transferred to Collections who said she would find her supervisor .. but that it was "best" for me to pay the $19 late fee & my current charges. As I was cutting up my Compass VISA card (I would never use it again with this kind of customer service), I suggested that they could have seen that I was trying to handle this in good faith -- and that charging me another $19 late fee, when my payment was pending due to a dispute about the unfairness of the original late fee, made no sense.

• Co
    CompassVisaCustomerNoMore Aug 05, 2010

The customer service department for Compass Visa is downright lousy, from the operators to the supervisors. I found your complaint today while searching for a fax number to which to send our cancellation notice, as we also are terminating our business Visa account through Compass. We discovered to our surprize this past weekend that even when a business pays the monthly charges in full and pays them early, Compass posts the payment but does not credit the account and free up the credit level until AFTER the payment due date has come and gone (but they do not, of course, pay any interest on the funds you've sent in advance of that due date, either.) What a crock!

• Jw
    jw simmons Oct 21, 2010

My Compass Visa card expired May 2010. I pay off my card in May 2010. No new card issued or arrives. I get June statement showing more charges. Contact Compass and demand they stop using my card and accepting charges after the card expired. Compass claims to have sent me a 'decline to renew" letter back in March 2010. I request copy of "decline to renew" instead they send me renewal card with $13, 000.00 credit limit July 7, 2010 and again more charges accepted on July 10 & 12 2010. I never activated the renewal card or used it, they refuse to discharge the charges. To me it appears that Compass established another credit limit of $13, 000 on the renewal card under my name and accepted charges without my entering into a contract with them. The sticker on the card says: This card cannot be used until you call ...-...-..."

• Jw
    jw simmons Oct 21, 2010

I did not make the charges. Compass allowed the charges on the expired card. When I notified them to stop! they claimed the card was not renewed and "decline to renew" letter sent to me that I never received. Asked for a copy of letter, instead, Then they say they will renew the account. They sent me a renewal card, that was never activated and began accepting more charges. How are there late payments on a card with no balance with no charges FROM me on it and more charges on a card that was never activated?

bull crap nsf charge!

I had a positive balance and made an online transfer which put my account at a good amount. I then look at my...

holding deposits to generate nsf fees

Count me in for a Class Action law suit against Compass Bank!!! I will spare you all the gory details, but...

will not honor thier customer's checks

My mother wrote me a check for my birthday. Long story short... I wanted to cash the check & was near the...

credit card fees

I had had a credit card with them for a few years and only used it for a balance transfer back at the beginning, which was paid off. I recently got an offer from them for balance transfer, and I wanted to use it. However, I used the wrong check that they had sent me, and when I got the statement I had $380 fee for using the check, $136.66 in finance charges for less than a month (on $9, 500) and $39 overlimit fee since their fees put my account over the limit. When I called them and realized my mistake, I asked to speak with a supervisor about lowering the rate since it was an honest mistake. In the meantime they offered me a much worse offer than the one I have in my hand, and charged me two $75 fees for this offer, even though I hadn't accepted it. All in all, this honest mistake cost me almost $700.

When I saw they weren't going to cooperate at all with me, I moved the $9, 500 to another bank and made an online payment to Compass of $555.66 which was all the initial fees they charged me. I have sent them their credit card and a letter explaining why I am closing my account and informing them I will NOT pay any more fees or finance charges they keep piling on. When they report me, I will send the explanation to the credit bureau.

My credit is excellent and I have any number of other offers I could have utilized. Rather than cooperate a little and keep my business, they would rather lie and cheat and take advantage of a good customer who made an honest mistake. I have reported them to the state attorney general in Alabama and in my state, and have reported them to the Federal Reserve. I plan to report them any and everywhere I find a website. BEWARE and do not bank with them in any way!

• Cr
    crestquest Apr 07, 2011

Ohhh man. That sounds like BBVA Compass bank. They are masters of deception!!! Stay away from them. Worst bank ever!!

awful bank

I have been self employed for nearly 13 years and have managed to keep my head above water through the economic ups and downs. In the early part of 2006, I moved my commercial banking to Compass Bank, huge mistake, and opened two business checking accounts and accepted a small $10, 000 business line of credit.

At the time I had an excellent credit score of 759 and was managing to make ends meet in this competitive marketplace.

From time to time I would use my line of credit to purchase equipment and it pay back out of profits. There were times I would use most of the $10, 000 line and pay back most when the projects were completed. Over time as the economy declined I would use more of the line and pay back less but always made the payments.

I never missed a payment, I repeat, I never missed a payment and was never late with a payment and always paid at least double the minimum payment due.

Sometime in mid-2008 I received a letter from Compass Bank. Not a phone, not a warning, just a form letter stating that “due to information obtained in a recent credit report we have closed your business line of credit. Please destroy all checks and deposit slips associated with this account. You are still obligated to pay the balance…"

What had happened was that in April of 2008 I cosigned for a $24, 000 auto loan for a friend and the additional debt caused my credit score to drop. Evidently, Compass Bank pulls a credit report from time to time just to keep up with the credit worthiness of their customers. I have no problem with that practice. What I do have a problem with is that if they had a model customer for all these years wouldn't a courtesy call be in order before pulling the plug on a tool so important to a small business?

Fully accepting the fact that I owe Compass Bank the money I continued to make the payments as I always had even though I no longer had use of the account. As 2008 came to a close, it was increasingly difficult to generate new business. Businesses were holding off spending pending the outcome of the presidential election and committed contract were being pushed into 2009.

As income diminished and bills continued such as rent, utilities, phone, not to mention gasoline prices, the now closed, much needed line of credit had to move to the bottom of the list of priorities. I was no longer able to keep up with the payments. I literally had no income for the last quarter of 2008 and the beginning of 2009 and was barely living out of reserves.

Finally, in March of 2009, the companies that had postponed projects started to come back to life. On March 9th I was back at work once again after months without income. On March 12th I received a call from Anthony Smith in the commercial collections department for Compass Bank. It wasn't the first call, they had been calling for the past three months and every time I explained my current financial situation and how it was exacerbated by them closing my line of credit without so much as a phone call.

I explained to Mr. Smith that I had only just returned to work three days prior to his call and that I had every intention of making good on my loan and getting back on track. I was proud of my 759 credit score and had every intention of regaining it.

Mr. Smith was unsympathetic and demanded that a payment be made during his call. I explained once again what I had been going through over the past three months and only returned to work just three days ago and haven't been paid yet. I went onto say that I would make a payment next week once I knew exactly how much I was going to make. Mr. Smith, apparently not happy with what he was hearing, yelled at me saying that I have his number and to call him when I was willing to work with him. I was telling him that I was cooperating and had every intention to cooperate he abruptly hung up on me.

So, here it is the 12th of March and I haven't paid March rent, utilities, or phone yet and hoarding the last $1, 135 to my name to the last possible moment. On March 13th I decided that I couldn't hold out any longer and went to my Compass online banking service to pay these bills since I knew I would getting a paycheck the following week. I was shocked at what I found.

Mr. Anthony Smith had closed my business checking account and processed a $2, 000 debit against an account he knew only had a $1, 135 balance. And, Mr. Smith did this without my knowledge or my permission.

Mr. Smith knew that the balance in my account was only $1, 135. The $2, 000 debit placed my account a negative $894 with other transactions pending. This caused seven $38 NSF charges and another $42 in OD fees. As of this writing my account stands closed with a negative balance of $1, 707.99 and is increasing $7.00 per day, for every day the account remains negative.

non-sufficient funds charges

Compass Bank has charged my account about $250 in overdrawn charges stemming from an oversight that led to a...

overcharged

After reading several entries posted on this site, I have to believe that it isn't just my imagination...

auto loan adding insurance fraudulently

Car Loan through Compass Bank. 1 year ago, Compass sent letter seeking proof of insurance, stating they did...

do not use them

I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS BANK AND IT SEEMS AS THEY MAKE UP WHY FEES AND CHARGES ARE ACCESSED.CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A JOKE AS THEY TRY AND TALK OVER YOU(TIFFANY)AND SHE DID NOT WANT TO GIVE ME HER AGENT ID #.PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ALL REPRESENTATIVES HAVE A WAY TO BE TRACKED SUCH AS AN AGENT ID# OR CODE AS THEY WILL NOT GIVE THEIR WHOLE NAME FOR SECURITY PURPOSES WHICH IS UNDERSTANDABLE...I MEAN IF YOU HEIST PEOPLE'S MONEY FROM THEIR ACCOUNTS WHOULD YOU GIVE YOUR WHOLE NAME? EXACTLY..WELL AFTER THEY WRONGFULLY TOOK $152.00 IN SOME OF THE FEES OUT OF MY ACCOUNT AND BROUGHT MY ACCOUNT TO A POSITIVE STATUS FINALLY.COMPASS BANK FIGURES THEY WILL TAKE AND CHARGE ME A NSF CHARGE AND THEN TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THEY CHARGE ME FEES ON THE FEES THAT THEY GIVE ME.SORRY IF I IT DOES NOT SEEM CLEAR I AM REALLY IRATE AS TO HOW THIS CAN HAPPEN.AND JUST THINK HOW MANY PEOPLE OVERLOOK THEIR STATEMENTS.THEIR IS A LESSON LEARNED HERE...ALTHOUGH I WOULD REALLY ENJOY CARRYING AROUND POCKETS FULL OF MONEY AND REACH IN AND SPEND WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT WITHOUT A FEE..I WILL KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SAY THIS. I DOUBT THAT YOU WOULD LET ANY DOCTOR OPERATE ON YOU..SO WHY LET YOUR WHOLE LIFE'S WORTH OF HARD EARNED MONEY SILENTLY SLIP AWAY FEE BY FEE??

• Li
    Linda Hasson Oct 15, 2009

They got me for 800.00 in 2 weeks I will be closing my account asap. I went to 12 news, then posted it on facebook, myspace an dtwitter, I filed a complaint with the BBB, and I will be contacting the attorney general asap. I am sorry this happened to you but gladto know that I am not alone.

overdraft robbery

In March of this year I had over drafted my account by $6.00. I had found this out on a Monday and was getting paid on Friday.

I had thought nothing of the enormous $38.00 fee I was incurring because a few days later I would be paying the NSF amount in my account.

By the time Friday had come along my NSF fees were $266.00 for a $6.00 overdraft!! I called because ofcourse this is ridiculous. They refused to work with on these outrageous fees!! If I would have paid that $266 dollars I would have not even been able to buy groceries for just my son to eat for the next week. Being robbed by the bank I figured I would just slowly pay it off.

But to my surprise Compass bank charged the following daily for 30 days for a negative balance.

1st 7 days was $38 a day.

Next 7 days $21 a day with an additional charge of $29 every 7 days. The last 7 days was $7.00 a day.

Making a grand total of $696.00 in fees for a $6.00 overdraft!! Is this a bank or a loan shark?!?!?

• La
    Laura Jan 30, 2009

I too have had some amazingly awful experiences with the new blue compass bank. I closed my account and signed papers to that affect and gave them a check for 230 dollars for the same kind of overdrafts only it was 2 of them at 25 and 6 dollars.
    Two weeks later they sent me a check for over charge of account closure for 4.95 which I did not cash. That very same day they issued me a non sufficient funds overdraft charge on a closed account for yes, you guessed it. 4.95.
    Is this legal is it ethical? I am getting ready to call them and ask them why they are allowing anything at all to happen in an account that has been closed permanently for 4 weeks. and if they do not stop I will report their shenanigans to the attorney general of my state. I suggest others do so as well.
    Laura

• Li
    Lisa lou Oct 03, 2009

your comment is untrue. You are charged the $38 nsf fee. Then after 7 days another $38, (if you haven't taken care of the negative balance.) After that $7.00 a day for a maximum of 30 days. BUT remember in all this time you have done nothing to take care of a mistake that YOU made. Buck up and balance that check book and don't spend more than you have!! We all do it, I'm not judging. The charges of 38 dollars is for EACH NSF transaction. The bank is paying for our purchases and bills even when we don't have the cash in our account! A steep interest rate to use their money? Definitely. AND a account will be closed one day, and the customer is asked " are there any outstanding checks or debit card transactions? and the customer will say no (because they HAVE no idea what they have out there still. IF the checks or debits come in within 24 hours of the customer closing account, they will owe the bank, because their debits were already in the system being processed but not yet deducted from their available balance!! TAKE BANKING 101 you idiots

charges I didn't do it!

I have charges I didn't do it:

11-11-2008 NWKAG.COM [protected]

24351788310101369308396 102.68

• Ne
    nepticar Mar 12, 2009

Re; GMP 800 710 2564

I just received a unauthroized charge on my credit card to which I will demand the funds to be returned to my card. If not...I will close this card and file the proper charges against this company.

illegal charges

I do not understand how this bank gets away with the things they do. They need to be under investigation. They do not credit deposits made on Friday afternoon until Tuesday? They charge you for absolutely everything. One month I had six fees for on-line bill pay which I had never used. They reveresed the charges but then when I disputed another charge they said I had reached my "maximum" refunds. Hello, the fees were their fault. I was in line one day at another Compass bank and every single person who went up to the window was complaining. The poor teller who had to enforce the rules of this horrible bank. She looked beaten down. They also force you to write a check to yourself to cash it. You cannot write "Cash." I believe this is illegal.

• Ca
    Carolenam Dec 07, 2009

Compass Bank, I have an account and experienced the NSF fees, i even complained to the Banking Regulitory Industry who said Compass is in the right to charge the fees. Oh and the NSF fees they keep the bank in business by paying for salaries to the tellers who don't know what they are telling you and managers. The only way to stop this kind of practice is to go to credit unions where the money belongs to us and deposits are credited the same day especially cash.

online bill pay

Compass Bank wiped out my online bill pay "by mistake." While they were the ones that erased all my information without my consent... they could not find a way to restore it.

Compass Bank was unwilling to send letters to the companies explaining the error and to take responsibility. Compass Bank told me that I had to re-enter all the information to get the system back up and if I wanted Compass Bank to pay all my late fees (due to their mistake mind you) I would have to contact each company, make sure each company sends a letter showing the fee and then they would reimburse me.

Compass Bank would not even send me a letter explaining the mistake the bank made stating "they don't do that."

So they erased my online bill pay randomly for no reason, would not fix it, would not take responsibility and would not give me any person as a contact point nor allow any email communication.

Can you imagine waking up and your online bill pay is wiped out??? Watch out if you bank with Compass Bank - it can happen and they will NOT help you fix their mistake. AWFUL.

unethical business practice

DO NOT BANK AT COMPASS BANK--THEY ARE UNETHICAL! I have had a great deal of trouble with Compass Bank using...

fraud and scam

Compass bank is a ripoff because people keep getting a hold of my account number. The first account wa...

fraud

I recently went to Compass and deposited $150 into my account. After having made that deposit, I made a charge to pay my cell phone payment.

They then assessed numerous NSF fees to my account and said it was because I made the deposit after the "cut off". I pushed for when they processed the credits and they will only say "before the cut off" which turns out is between when the bank opens and 3pm. Business hours.

They post debits in real time and then only post credits during business hours. The customer service was also very rude about the whole matter!!

Despite having receipts for the credit, which came before the debit, also have a receipt for that, they would not reverse the charges.

My account never even showed going negative after all the NSF fees. Positive before the deposit, and positive after the debit and fees. But yet I got numerous fees. How are you NSF if you keep a positive balance and put money in before you spend it?

I am referring the matter to the District Attorney's office for the state of Texas.

AVOID COMPASS BANK!!

• Ga
    Gabriel Haddadi Oct 20, 2008

The exact same thing has happened to me many many times. Recently, I inquired on the phone before hand to see when the deposit I had made the day before would clear. I was told by one of their customer service reps, Yuvicia, that it would post at midnight, no ifs ands or buts. Well, it didn't. I used my card the next day, and got hit with 7 NSF charges. Further more, when I told them that I had called to inquire about the charges, I was told that they had no record of the call, and since all their calls are monitored, the call didn't take place. Sabrina Tisher, of the Arizona call center was the lovely CSR who saw it fit to numerously call out my integrity, by saying I never made the call, or the follow up a couple days later, but she also offered such gems of advice such as "You shouldn't spend money unless you have it in your account". Needless to say, this sent me through the roof. I have already forwarded the information about it to the Better Business Bureau, and I have the call records to prove the calls were in fact made, even if they "lost" them on their end. I would really like to try and gather some feedback for more people, and possibly pursue a class action lawsuit. I have already spoken to a lawyer, and he said their practices were unethical, and if they in fact deleted the phone records proving their guilt, and my innocence, it would constitute fraud. I would really like to stick it to these guys, since they obviously have it coming to them.

nsf fees!

I have been banking with Compass Bank for almost 8 years. I have been hit with over $500 dollars in...

fraud and illegal activity!

I'm writing to warn any prospective customers about Compass Bank's shameful practices. I have read...

bank fees

April, 7 2008 Apparently a charge to my debit card for $87.47 put my account over $83.08. This was the last...