Bay Area Credit ServiceUnauthorized billing

D

I was contacted by mail saying that (my minor child) had an outstanding debt for a phone bill to SBC. It stated that he owed $1063.00. However, they would settle for $315.00. I knew this was a phony, (my son has never had a phone in his name, nor have I put a phone in his name), but I followed up on it.

I called them to get the scoop. Gave them the case # and the first thing they wanted to know was his SSN. No, I am not giving you that info over the phone. So they read me his last 4 digits. They were legit but I gave no further info. They told me I would have to write a legal statement stating that he is a minor child and he has never had a phone and it would be turned over to an investigator and send the bill with it.

Don't fall for for garbage like this and let idiots take you for a ride. Tomorrow, I am going to call AT&T to check things out with them. Then, I am calling them back. It won't be pretty.

Remember... It is best that a person be proper and intelligent, so that one may accomplish what one desires... rather than what someone else wants to abuse.

• Fr
    Fredricka Davis Oct 22, 2012

Reference Number [protected]
    This is my own complaint, to AT&T who keep calling me for a bill that I did'nt make to them.
    And I've told them over and over again that this never happened. I called the company for information
    and they asked many questions of me, and finally gave me their price range and I could not afford their
    amount., so I said thank You and goodbye. And I've been billed every since. Even after talking to them over the phone
    about it, they still insist that I recieved their service's, and I did not.

Please help me with this problem. Or tell me what to do.

Ms. F. Davis

• Sj
    sjackson Jul 07, 2009

This "ambulance" scenario sounds familiar!
    I was recently turned down for a credit card, and knew that I had excellent credit a year ago.
    I applied for my credit report through Trans Union, and it came back with a "negative" report from Bay Area Credit Services for an outstanding bill of $1, 290 in collections. I knew nothing about this, so called Bay Area Credit and asked about it. The rep first asked for my ssn, and I would only give him the last 4 digits, which he then verified it to be me, then told me it was for an ambulance I had taken from my residence to Biloxi Medical Center in Oct. 2008. I have NEVER been in an ambulance and NEVER been in Biloxi! The guy told me to dispute it, I would have to fax the credit report, highlighting the area, fax my drivers license and a statement that I knew nothing about this. I was hesitant to send this info and decided to check them out online, and this is what I found! How does Trans Union not know about their reputation? It make me not trust anyone with my info.

• Sh
    sherry Mar 20, 2009

my 70 year old mother was contacted by Bay Area Credit Services out of Atlanta and screamed at by Michael J Miller for a $1, 400 bill from 3 yrs ago! My mother had no idea what he was talking about when she tried to ask Mr Miller began calling her names including a liar. My mother then asked Mr Milller that if she owed this money why he waited so long to contact her. He then started screaming at her again telling her that she has talked to him on the phone and he has sent her collection letters and he wants this money or he's going to send her to jail! She told him she would go the local credit bureau to get this straightned out and he told her not to because he wants the 'credit" for the collection. When my mother called this company back to obtain infornmation they stated their "computers were down" I requested copies of these so called letters they sent and copies of the so called phone calls they made and as expected they refused. Mr Miller and Mr. Malcolm then attempted to obtain my mother's checking account # which we put a stop to.I looked up this company in The Better Business Bureau and they are not Accreditated with them. So here's my question.If someone owed $1, 400 to a credit card would a credit card company not contact you for payment for 3 years?