[Resolved] Badoo Tradingcompany refusing refund on unauthorised payment

M

On November 6th 2017 I was charged £69.99 for 'lifetime subscription' to premium features (so called 'superpowers') on the 'Badoo' dating app on my phone. This was a payment I did not wilfully authorise, and it was processed either due to fraudulent activity or through touching the phone by accident while logged into the app. I knew nothing about it until I checked my bank account. It is a payment I simply cannot afford as I am currently off work and looking after a family member who is nearing the end of her life. I have cancelled all services on my phone and deleted my account, but the company are refusing to refund the payment.

The company insist that they will not honour their 14 day refund policy in this case. This is in spite of the fact that I have cancelled all services after 1 week of this payment going through and deleted the app from my phone.

Despite the company normally offering a 14 day free trial of this service anyway, they will still not refund the payment.

The desirable resolution for me would be a refund of the £69.99 which was taken from my bank account but I never wilfully agreed to pay.

At the very least, if the company absolutely have to charge me, then I would agree to a maximum of £3.50 which is their price for 1 week's use of their services.

In my initial correspondence, I mentioned taking them to small claims court, but in truth this is something that I really would like to avoid at this time of my life.

Here is a copy of correspondence so far (my apologies for the duplicate messages which went through by accident.)

I would be beyond grateful for any help you can provide, as this is causing so much undue stress at a very vulnerable time of my life.

With thanks,

Mr. M. Frank

([protected]@googlemail.com)

RESOLVED

• Updated by Marc Frank · Nov 13, 2017

Here is the link to all correspondence with the company to date: (I have heard nothing back from the online support since Friday):

• Badoo's response · Nov 16, 2017

Hi there!

We're very sorry to hear about your experience on Badoo!

We can totally look into this for you. We'll just need you to send us a private message including the email address linked to your profile and we'll investigate it.

You can contact us on Badoo Help: either on Facebook, , or on Twitter, .

We look forward to hearing from you!

• Badoo's response · Feb 06, 2020

We are very sorry to hear this has happened on Badoo. I would love the opportunity to look into this further for you and check exactly how this has happened. If you're happy for me to proceed with my investigations, please could you let me know your registered email address or phone number? This will enable me to locate your Badoo account and purchases. Due to the sensitivity of this information, it would be best if you could reach out directly at badoo.com/feedback with the account details.

A member of our team will be with you as soon as possible!

Andrew Mosley Nov 25, 2017

yes ive also had same experience with badoo, as ive also had 69.99 withdrawn from my account, through no fault off my own this company is notorious far misleading people and wonderd what was the outcome with your appeal.
    [email protected] thanks

• BadooTeam Jan 12, 2018

@Andrew Mosley Hi there!

As we mentioned on your complaint post, if you have disputed this service with PayPal, the refund process will now be handled by them. If you would like to check the status of your refund, please contact your card issuer or PayPal directly.

Sadly, the purchase in question is non-refundable. Please contact us should your refund request be denied by PayPal or your card issuer and we will reactivate the service on your profile.

The premium feature has been removed from your profile pending the outcome of the dispute.

Please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Jason9184 Feb 12, 2018

Bad is daylight robbery. It's got refund terms that it doesn't honour. It uses fake profiles to bring customers in and rip them off. It's only design is to cheat people and steal money.

Stevie01 Nov 04, 2018

I have just had the same from badoo for £119.99 I am unemployed and a full time dad and this thing just activated without any verification code or anything and now I am left with nothing to feed me or my son nor I am able to send him to school as I have nothing and I mean nothing left and hope this gets fended back as I am not leaving it

Stevie01 Nov 04, 2018

@Stevie01 Refunded*

• Ph
    Phil 99 Nov 19, 2018

@Stevie01 how did you get it refunded ? It just happened to me :(

Stephencameron Jan 04, 2019

I have had £119.99 taken from my bank, I am unemployed and and this thing just activated without any verification code or anything, just checked my bank one morning and the money at been taken I cannot afford it and badoo have refused to pay it back.

• BadooTeam Jan 15, 2019

@Stephencameron Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that you'd like to cancel your purchase.

In order for us to look into this payment, could you please send us a message at badoo.com/feedback or reach our to our dedicated help team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @BadooHelp.

We look forward to hearing from you.

antcz Feb 02, 2019

I've been charged $20 out of nowhere for Badoo Premium, I only noticed because I received a message about the charge, I don't even care if you delete my account, just refund me back, this complaint is not even 1 hour away from that unauthorized charge, so I don't even want to use that feature!

John Death Feb 25, 2019

Scammed today by them with apparent classic bait and switch tactics that look like, if not aided and abetted by Apple for $169, or close. Instead of the 169 THB ($7.00) when prompted to renew a one week subscription.

Apple aiding and abetting with their app being downloaded after being transferred from Chrome or Firefox browser a few days before as always on my previous android viewing Badoo. Then to downloading and installing the IOS app like the worm it is and then that. I wouldn't have even known if not seeing the email from Apple in the morning, and more for the hell of it opening it and still in shock.

Apple doesn't even care about being used like that so apparently they must be part in parcel with the Badoo scam.

• To
    tonypigz Jun 02, 2019

Hello,

I as well have been duped by the misleading app. I was trying to deactivate my account, I followed the menu to an invisible mode prompt which then made me pay for unlimited membership for 100$, I emailed support, twice they told me it is against their terms to refund me. my rent will bounce now, thanks alot.

• BadooTeam Jun 04, 2019

@tonypigz Hi Tony,

We're sorry to hear about your situation as a result of your purchase made on Badoo.

When you made your purchase (or a previous purchase, if you have linked your payment details), you will have been asked to read the terms and conditions which explain our refund policy in detail.

While your purchase is non-refundable according to the terms which you agreed to, there may be another option we can offer you to assist you in this situation.

Could you please reach out to our team on Facebook or Twitter @BadooHelp? We'll be able to look into this for you.

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Badoo Team

SteveSSSS Jul 08, 2019

Got robbed 5 minutes ago. I clicked ''like'' on a lady and that landed me to a page to buy packages. When i opted out i received an e mail telling me i ve been charged 69.99 $. Im blind using a white cane I dont have that money to buy lifetime badoo premium and i have no desire to buy that. Unlike all of you i will make them bleed. Watch this space. This is a fraud and i will go all ghe way with that

SteveSSSS Jul 09, 2019

Im putting up a facebook forum . Its time to sheed a light on their fraudulous activities. Anyone who got scammed joiun Badoo scam on facebook. It will be up and running by tommorow july 9 - 2019

• Of
    oFetfa Aug 21, 2019

@SteveSSSS Hi, have you set up the forum? I really want to take these guys down. There's obviously problems for a lot of people.

• Ta
    taflfjones Jul 20, 2019

ive just had exactly the same £119 taken via PayPal. I've got to phone PayPal tomorrow. my bank won't do anything as its not fraud

SteveSSSS Jul 20, 2019

@taflfjones I got my refund but i had to fight. Dont give them 1 inch. Message them 50 times if you have to. Once done dont forget to remove your card infos from the site and delete your account ( if you can as it takes about 100 attempts so they let you leave ). They clearly act as they are shareholders of people bank accpunt and take money as their conv3nience when they want.

• Je
    JeffDorset Aug 04, 2019

Same thing with me. They just took 119.99 for a lifetime membership I did not request. I only discovered it hy accident when I was checking my bank account as I had nothing from them to say I had taken out such a membership. They have refused to return the money they have taken. I have filed a complaint with Paypal. It is very disappointing when companies play fast and loose with their customers like this. I won't rest until I get the money back.

• Of
    oFetfa Aug 21, 2019

I also just got tricked into paying through my phone carrier. My phone stalled and processed the tap right on the continue. I can't even stop it. I can't believe this crap. Half the profiles are fake too. Does anyone know of anyone gathering names of victims? A guy said he'd make a Facebook page

ANG74 Jan 31, 2020

My son was tricked by Badoo. I was reconciling his account and noticed the charges. He is disabled and does not understand the consequences and they refuse to refund the money although he will never use this service.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices