Menu

complaints

Avis Complaints Summary

65 Resolved
398 Unresolved
Our verdict: With Avis's very poor resolution rate, careful consideration is needed. Research their service comprehensively, and read up on how they handle customer disputes. If you face issues, be prepared for potential challenges in obtaining resolutions and explore other service providers as backups.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Avis has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Avis. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Avis complaints 463

Sort by:

Newest Avis complaints

1:03 pm EDT

Avis Car Rental at Phoenix airport

We pick up the car July 21 2023. For 12 days. Shawn Rogers. Booking number 2023949ous5

We requested a compact car.

There was a discussion about it because they tried to upsell and we said no because of gas prices.

Upon return of the car we noticed another 203 American dollars charged.

We called and said no way we didnt order a mid size. We are 2 people only travelling. They offered us 100 dollar credit or 2 days free rental we said no. A manager was suppose to call us back and hasnt. It has been 2weeks. Then we get a charge for smoking. Which is a joke we do not smoke. There was black marks by the window already which probably was a smoker at some point but not us!

Desired outcome: Want all the money back from mid size car we didnt order. Money back from supposed smoking that we didnt do.

Read full review of Avis and 1 comment
1 comment
lexx2200
, US
Sep 08, 2023 8:06 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

when ever you rent a vehicle make sure to take pictures of the vehicle inside out

with the miles you recevied it or else they will try to pin it on you

2 the location get comision every time they additionals as l.d.w or any products

i work for custemer service for avis and belive me is a everydays thing

it doesnt matter whats on your resevation always address the agent you didnt agree for upgrade

however a tip if you start scearming at you they will give the round around

the odd of refunding is 100 sure however with angery custmers they would ignore it

5:30 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I rented a car from the cincinnati /kentucky airport August 18, 22 res # [protected]. pick up August 18, return 8/22/23. When picking up my car at the airport, the first car I was assigned was bashed in the back and the dash message said, "needs service, take to dealer". I went back and was assigned a 2nd car. Approximately 20 miles or so the 2nd car had a...

D
8:22 pm EDT

Avis Car rental return receipt (agreement #[protected])

On Friday, 8/11/23 I rental a car from Los Angeles Airport-LAX, CA Avis Car Rental location. The car was returned to the car rental return lot at the same address location on Sunday, 8/13/23 at approximately 3:30 a.m. in the morning. The keys were left inside the car on the console. After arriving back to Texas from my flight, I continued to monitor my phone for the car return receipt. Later that evening, I called Avis customer service [protected] and spoke to a male representative' I gave him my rental agreement number and he informed me that the rental was still open and due to it being Sunday, the rental would most likely not be closed out until Monday, 8/14. He suggested that I check back on Monday if I did not receive a confirmation email or text. Late evening Monday, 8/14, I call customer service again [protected] and spoke to a male representative. He informed me that I had reached reservations and that he could not assist me. I informed him that this was the customer service number and I had spoken to someone at this number yesterday. He was very persistent in no trying to assist me and told me that I needed to call the location where I rented the car. I ask to speak to a supervisor. A male supervisor, got on the line who was very rude, with a loud voice who would not allow me to explain my concern. I continuous ask him to listen so he would understand why I was calling. When he finally stop talking and saying the wrong thing, I informed him that I was not calling about a rental agreement, but a car rental return receipt. Needless to say, I got nowhere with him. I hung up the phone and called the Los Angeles-LAX location [protected]. I spoke to a female representative Marina who was very pleasant and polite. I explained my concern to her. She looked up my agreement and it was still showing opened. She attempted to close it out, but then said that she had to send it to another department because there was something the person/employee did not do. She told me that it would be closed out Tuesday, 8/15 and that I should receive an email or text. As of this evening, 8/15 nothing has been received. I called the LAX Airport-LA located again and spoke to a male representative. I explained that I had spoken to Marina yesterday and what I had been informed. He put me on hold so he could consult with her. I came back after about 5-10 minutes and informed that because something was not completed in the paperwork, it had to be sent to another department to correct and close out. He said it would take at least 3-5 business days. He apologized to me several times.

I became very upset, because I do not feel that as a customer I should have to be penalized because an employee did not do their job correctly. I need my receipt to verify that I was not over charged and also so that the deposit hold was release from my credit card. As a customer, I feel that this should have been a priority. I had to talk to at least 4 people and still nothing is resolved and it's been 3 days since I returned the vehicle to AVIS. I will also be filing a complaint with their HQ office in New Jersey.

Customer: DAB

Desired outcome: Prioritize - to close Car Rental Agreement confirming that car was returned and send Car Rental Receipt via email/texted.

Read full review of Avis and 1 comment
1 comment
lexx2200
, US
Sep 08, 2023 8:17 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

yes it is understandable

to be honest it depends how you reach to the agent

sometimes agent handle everyday situtions and been yelled at 24-7 for fault of the location

imagian that

my point is if call again in a smooth tone they will help you resovle it with in days

custmers service agents are the abocats between a custmer and corporate

i took the time to review the comments of are custmers to tell them thing we can not say over the phone

A
3:09 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis International travelers being discriminated against

Why as a UK citizen with a UK License and passport allowed to reserve a car on the Avis website pre pay and complete the pre check in online

When I went to collect the car at Burbank Airport I was told it was against Avid policy to rent cars to UK citizens with a US Bank account ?

If this truly is an Avis policy then why don’t you write a script that prevents UK citizens from pre paying and pre check in ?

This is a time waste and is only bound to frustrate people who are from the UK

I will be blogging this so that my fellow country men avoid using Avis as their policy is outdated antiquated and wholly discriminatory

If the card matches the driving license and passport, what can’t Avis recognize that the individual is an international traveler

The Avis portal is badly programmed

The Avis policy is not in line with the international market

Hertz do not adhere to this policy

Nor does Almo or Enterprise

I am incensed and outraged

This has caused so much disruption that could easily had been avoided if your online system was in sync with your policies

Both of which need addressing

It is wrong to mislead the customer and inconvenience them

I will never touch Avis ever again

Your policies belong in the last millennium

As does the education of your work force

Step up Avis

It is wrong to penalize citizens because of their nationality

Desired outcome: A change in policy An updated online booking system A voucher to try and tempMe to rent from Avis again

Read full review of Avis
Update by Avis are backward thinking
Aug 15, 2023 3:11 pm EDT

I feel your frustration

Avis are indeed backward and outdated

Try using Alamo

They are great

T
8:05 pm EDT

Avis Service

RA#[protected] want complete refund, rented car on July13th that broke down at 6pm on the 15th, u wanted my daughter2sleep on HWY until morning in car bcuz it was Sunday and there was no place around 2 get her a replacement, i said your billion dollar company and are all tied together and should send 2 agents and 2 cars from the biggest Airport close 2 them which was in Pittsburg Penn

I was told no and for her to sleep on side of the turnpike in broken down car until morning, but Trooper Huff badge# 10966 pulled up and told my daughter she had 2 move the car bcuz they were going to be working on that part of the Turnpike, i called back and your agent said they couldn't tow it so the Trooper said he will but it will be impounded, i talked him into not having it impounded bcuz my daughters stuff was in there and she has nowhere to sleep, so he had it towed 10 miles to the nearest exit,

I then called you back to try and get my daughter a room bcuz there was tweekers all around that exit and was told by you billion dollar company you couldn't so her mom got her a room to be safe in since you didn't care about her safety.

No1came4her by morning. took 24hrs until u came to get her, u had tow truck driver pick her up by 7pm and took her2wrong airport where they didn't have a car for her but luckily he was taking the broken down car to Pittsburg Airport so she was able to ride with him to get new car. then you charged me twice for the rental, i called you back and asked for it to be put back on, your agent said ok, but it will take 5 to 7 business days to be put back on after it only took you to take it off in 20 seconds, then i checked about 5 days later on my bank and it wasn't there so i called you again and found out whoever i spoke to never put it back into my account, so she said she would do it, and the same results a week later, it wasn't put back on to my account so i had to call my bank and dispute it and that's how it was put back on. plus the 1st car we gt from you had bald tires that could of popped at anytime my daughter was driving the car, the Trooper Huff and the Tow truck driver both pointed it out and said they would tell you how dangerous it was for her to be driving that car on the road

i spend about 13 hrs on the phone with your agents during this whole ordeal, i can take pictures of the total time spent with your agents if you need it, but i think this whole ordeal is more important and i can sent you pictures of the tires if you need them as well on and off the tow truck with the license plate

Desired outcome: i want a total refund for this nightmare car rental

12:18 pm EDT

Avis Random Charges Months After Rental

We rented a car from AVIS in Naples, Italy, from 1/17 to 1/21/23. Paid in full on 1/23. On 3/20 I was charged $59.56 w/o explanation. Called on 3/29 to dispute charges. Never heard back. Called again 4/4 and AVIS was unable to explain charge. On 4/21, I received an email indicating the charge was for a missed toll. However, they wouldn't produce the bill & directed me to contact issuing authority. I did so but they also never produced any proof of the charge. I paid the $59.56. On 7/20/23 I was charged $54.86 again w/o explanation. I called on 7/20--again they couldn't explain the charges. Have heard nothing since. Waisted so much time in March and now again in July.

Desired outcome: Refund of $54.86 on 7/20 -- no reason provided by AVIS. Additionally, refund first charge of $59.56 never received proof & lack of responsiveness by AVIS

4:14 pm EDT

Avis Service plan by Avis

My car was due for service as it's the last one to be done at 90 0000 but my car started to alert me when it was on 91K which I then took it in for service at more 91616 only to be turned back by the dealership saying I quote "plan won't authorised by Avis because mileage is above 91500" and when I contacted Avis they told me about the contract I signed up for 4 years ago. A genuine mistake of mileage been late costs me to drive a car which is not serviced. Why was I not alerted on maybe via sms. I am so heart broken and financially stuck that I don't even know how am I going to raise funds for the car to be serviced via me paying cash.

I was not treated fair and Avis service has failed me.

Then why not pay me for that cover or at least make provision? A very dissatisfied client.

Desired outcome: Need my car to be serviced

2:13 pm EDT

Avis Towing

I rented a vehicle from Avis. While it was in my possession I got arrested and the police towed my car. Upon towing my vehicle, they took all of my belongings in the vehicle too. I spoke with a representative over the phone and she stated that the vehicle would be towed to the Cheyenne Wyoming Air Port and I would be able to retrieve my items there. She also said I would be able to rent another vehicle and I would only have to pay the difference. I arrived at the Cheyenne Wyoming Air Port and WIlliam I think was his name stated they weren't actually Avis and that Avis would be having the vehicle towed to Denver. Upon arrival at the Avis Denver Air Port, I was told I would not be charged for the towing fee and I could recover my items. Now I have been charged $1500 to my account. None of my lost items have been recovered.

Desired outcome: I want a full refund and a credit applied to future usage.

J
12:22 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis Car interior dirty, poorly cleaned

My reservation # is 17452506US1, location AVIS @ DTW Airport. I booked a premium car, and was given a huge SUV, the car seats in the back were dirty, contaminated with large areas of white cream like substance, gas was not full, and the car does not match premium car I booked. Because it was 4 am in the morning due to flight delay, I was too tired to go back to change another car, as there were only one agent, and a few customers waiting in line.

I wish to be compensated as I was embarrassed as I use this car to drive my customers around the area. Very embarrassing and unsatisfactory experience.

Desired outcome: Compensation for having this dirty vehicle, and cost me extra to fill out the gas tank, as the car was not fully filled when I was given this vehicle.

9:41 am EDT

Avis Rental agreement n. [protected], plate n. Sbq8268 chevy malibu gray

First get in touch: I got assigned the car finding it already rented to another person. Informing the clerk at the check-in, he gives me another one of the same size. OK, that can happen, but the internal comunication shows not to be very effective. Than: June 29th the rental-car got towed because of a parking-issue in Miami. The supporting AVIS-personel doesn´t inform about their special policy right away, which costs customers unnumbered phone-calls, a hole day vacation-time and patience. I had to inquire on two AVIS-offices not obtaining the requested harmless-letter, needed by the towing company to release the vehicle. At the Miami Int. Airpt. I got treated with the following words by the clerk: - What are you staring like this, this is the way it goes! - At the end I had to rent another car from another company and face renting- and parking-costs until the car will be returned by an AVIS-clerk after a week (!). All other rental-car-companies (Hertz, Dollar etc...)will relaese the requested harmless-letter in order to have the car back again. AVIS doesn't. So this is going to be really expansive, not talking about the towing-fees.

Attending a satisfying explanation and a reduction to the towing costs only (was told 327 $ by the towing-company),

best regards,

Bruno G.R. Battistini, M.D.

Desired outcome: charging for towing-costs only (327$ as told by Miami Beach Towing Company) and no other costs, refund of costs for another rental car (483.33 $) until planned journey July 2nd plus cab-fares 150$ (hotel-towingcomp. and airport-rides

K
8:08 am EDT

Avis Rental car experience

It's a white huge lady, with a missing tooth her name is either Rebecca or Becky im not sure but she works at the Decatur, IL airport in the avis/budget area! She is beyond rude, I'm a black woman so when I first arrive at 930 she said no cars was available and I had to wait until my appt time which was 10 but the white ppl in front of me appointment was at 10 as well and was able to receive a car! She then scan my license which rung up yellow, ask me for another form of ID which I stated I only had my class A driver license she said that wasn't enough! Ask me did I have a firearm license racial profiling to me then proceeds to asked for a passport? Who walks around with a passport if their not leaving the country? She then said it was nothing she can do! Decatur literally has no other forms of transportation! I arrived to that airport at 9 and when I finally found some type of transportation it was literally 2:08 pm! She gets complaints all the time and the company of avis continues to keep her there! This is not her first time not giving a black person a car because the taxi company that came to get me has had people to complain about her as well! I looked her dead in her face and I said you are really rude and have no reason to be!

Desired outcome: I would like a refund on my taxi ride I had to pay 284.75 ( I have receipt for it) when my rental was 122.00 it was unnecessary money spent I have a history of renting with avis, and I rented a car at the STL airport the same day!

1:38 pm EDT

Avis Rental complaint [protected] original mva [protected]

Initially I rented a car 6/26 to 7/3, I called and extended the reservation to 7/5 because we planned to make a day trip to Charleston SC, my fiancé and myself. We live in MB SC. All week long there was no issue with the Dodge Charger I was given, however about 40 mins from Charleston the car completely died on the side of the road, this is a two-lane highway and we pulled off as much as we could. I called Avis's customer service roadside where the agent repeatedly tried to get me off the phone before he dispatched someone saying we should call police (the police stop after and would not provide a ride to Charleston to pick up a new vehicle) first to get picked up. After I insisted, he dispatched a tow company that took over 3 hours to get there because the dispatcher provided the driver with the incorrect information on our location. Temperatures reached over 100 degrees as we sat in the car with no water or assistance and NO AC. This to say the least was very dangerous. We could not exit the car because that stretch of highway was too dangerous to stand there with passing traffic. Once the driver responded he told us he had towed this same car the week before. The Avis manager in Charleston was very rude he made us wait while he chatted on the phone providing no instance immediately then after insinuated that the car worked fine until now and maybe I had put the wrong type of gas in the car. Then would only offer 35$ off for our troubles. We spent several hours on the road and several more heading home with the whole day wasted, we didn't arrive home until 7 pm that evening. After departing at 10:30 in the am from our home. When I returned the rental, we were given to drive home in the manager there was a little more accommodating, but I still do not feel like 130 off for compensation was worth the trouble and aggravation of the experience when AVIS KNEW this car had ISSUES and still provided me with the vehicle. My total rental would have been 317, and instead the new charge was 179. Our whole day was ruined and luckily it was just us two adults and not our kids or pets with us in these temperatures that reached over 100. At one point the car registered 105. I called and filed this original complaint and was given the above #. After 4-5 days no one called me back, so I called again yesterday (Most of the information in the original complaint was documented incorrectly I realized after I spoke with the agent yesterday.) and was told the case was closed because I was given some sort of compensation. That is totally unacceptable (my intent was to let someone higher up know the kind of services, the local rental offices are providing) that a major corporation cannot even return a call to a customer who had a bad experience with their services, no remorse from anyone, just in a hurry to get me off the phone. I was also told there were no managers, and no one returns phone calls only emails. I left my email address and advised I wanted someone to email or preferably call back. I have yet to receive a response. I rent a lot with Avis and feel this kind of treatment is totally unacceptable. Please provide a timely response to my complaint and concerns and take action on this issue.

Desired outcome: apology for the wasted time, rudeness of Avis representatives, and the dangerous situation AVIS put us through. refund the remaining charge that I was charged for the rental and/or free few days of rental for another time

J
9:47 am EDT

Avis List item

Be careful not to leave any items behind in an Avis rental car. Our friends visited us and accidentally took our tire inflator thinking it belonged to Avis. They left it in the car and I cannot get through to anyone at the Portland Maine airport Avis rental center. I filled out a form online and got a reference number and you call the number and type in the reference number and all it says is the mailbox is full. No one bothers to get back to you I would never rent a car from Avis if this is how they handle the lost and found items.

When I called the customer service one 800 number they try and give you the number for the Portland airport Avis but they don’t answer their phone so it’s pointless.

Avis could easily clear this up by having a direct line to reach someone in lost and found at the Portland airport.

Desired outcome: Get my tire inflator back

1:57 pm EDT

Avis Car Rental at Billy Bishop Airport

Ref 13770020ES5 - Pick up 29/06/2023

I would like to complain about the lack of visibilty/personnel of Avis Car Rental at YTZ Airport.

As you can see from attached rental agreement there is no indication of any contact details so I assumed there was a shuttle to the AVIS office.

I eventually made my way to YYZ Airport AVIS rental office via the Union Pearson Express where I had to pay $24:70 to get to YYZ.

I would like to point out the man at the AVIS desk did not offer any sympathy or excuse for lack of contact to myself when I arrived at YTZ to pick up the car.

I think the least AVIS should do is explain to customers the procedure for picking up cars from YTZ by way of having a freephone service to their main office.

I cannot possibly advise anybody using AVIS at Toronto canada until this is resolved.

Kind Regards

Vic Borg

Desired outcome: I would like a refund of the Train shuttle fare of $24:70 plus an apology for lack of communication when I was at YTZ.

9:27 am EDT

Avis Rental van

I reserved a 12-passenger van for June [protected] from Airport in Augusta ga aviation way. When I arrived, they did not have a van and did not accommodate me in any way. I had confirmation and called serval times leading up to the pickup date and each time they said I had a van for those dates. I was not contacted that the van was not available and drove 1 hour 20 minutes one way to get it.

I prepaid for hotel rooms and could not get a refund because the refund date was on the 14th of June before 4pm. I prepaid for tickets to the game. The manager was unconcerned. Not only did this stress me out but the 11 other people who also was to accompany me. Very bad business practice and uncompassionate management. We were to leave on the trip at 5pm on June 15, 2023. What at this point could I do?

Desired outcome: Refund, response, and apology. Customer service training for management.

F
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis Disappointing Customer Service Experience with Avis Rent-a-Car in Oxnard, CA

Hey there SiteJabber pals,

I'm here to share my experience with Avis.com Rent-a-car. I had made a reservation for a rental car, but ended up needing it a day earlier. I called up the local office in Oxnard, CA at 1800- and luckily someone had just returned a car, so I was able to get it a day earlier. However, the local office on 435 Channel Islands Blvd is quite small and only has a limited number of cars available.

Now, here's where things got a bit tricky. The address given by Orbits and verified through Google Maps turned out to be incorrect. I found out the hard way when I was driving around Channel Islands Blvd looking for the office. I called the local Avis office to inquire about the correct location and was told to hang up and call the number again to obtain directions. When I did, I ended up talking to the corporate hotline who could only give me the same wrong address and had no local knowledge of the branch's location. It was 5:55 PM and the branch closed at 6 PM, so I suspect the local agent wanted to go home and not be bothered by my request. The agent also didn't seem interested in my business, probably anticipating having to work a bit after store hours to provide me with my requested car rental.

Overall, I was disappointed with the customer service provided by the local Avis agent in Oxnard, CA. It was a frustrating experience trying to find the office and get the rental car I needed. I hope Avis can improve their communication and customer service in the future.

Avis Terrible Customer Service Experience at Avis in Newburgh, NY

Me and my wife, we went to Newburgh, New York to attend a ceremony. We've been making this trip for the last four years and I always rent from Avis because of the great customer service that I get from the desk clerk. But this time, when my wife approached the counter, my favorite clerk was busy helping another customer. Suddenly, another clerk appeared from the back office and walked over to the Hertz counter. He said, "May I help you?" I walked over and asked for the clerk's name who has always been so kind. He said, "Why do you want to know her name?" I then said "Man can I please have her name?" He then asked, "For What?" I then stated, "I just want her name." He then stated, "Why are you talking to me like that?" I was taken aback because I never had this encounter with Avis before. I asked one more time, just to see if he was pulling a prank. He then stated, "I tell you what go over and wait in her line and ask her for her name!" I went and stood in her line and my wife stepped out of line and approached another clerk. I walked behind my wife and asked for the manager. The clerk called the manager who approached the counter. I asked the manager for the lady's name and she said Tanesha. I asked the manager for her name and she said Lynn. I asked the clerk standing in front of me for his name and he said Jose. I than asked the manager for the rude clerk that apparently was having a bad day and she said Basel. With Stewart airport being small in size and there's not that many workers, you will run into the same clerks from time to time. The way Basel acted on this day, I will never spend my money with Avis never again. Yes, that one experience will have me to select another rental company.

Y
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis Disappointing Experience with Avis Car Rental: Flat Tire, Oil Light, SiriusXM Issues, and Unexpected Charges

I rented a car from Avis at the Nashville, TN airport on April 28th, 2021. As I drove out of the lot, I noticed that the oil light was on. I was disappointed that I couldn't change the car because it was an hour before they opened. On the morning of April 30th, my companions and I were excited to drive to Memphis to visit Graceland and the Civil Rights Museum. However, when we checked out of the hotel, the valet informed us that the tire was flat and that the spare donut tire was not in driving condition. I called Avis and waited on hold for over 35 mins until someone finally answered! I was worried about what would have happened if I had been stuck somewhere alone. When someone finally answered, they told me that it would take an additional 30-60 mins for someone to arrive to repair the tire. After waiting for 30 mins, I called AAA who came within 15 mins. I then had to drive back to the airport to exchange the car. This issue set us back 3 hours and we missed the opportunity to visit Graceland in Memphis. I would like to be reimbursed for the tickets. I miss the days when Avis would bring another vehicle out, exchange it for the vehicle with issues, and have the Avis rep wait for roadside assistance.

In addition to the issues with the tire and the oil light, the SiriusXM never kicked in - even after exchanging vehicles at the Nashville airport on April 30! It was frustrating to have to deal with this issue again. The icing on the cake was when I received an invoice for $220 to pay for the tire repair! I was shocked and disappointed that I had to pay for something that was not my fault.

We had the same issue with SiriusXM never kicking in when we rented a car from Avis on March 13 in Woodland Hills, CA. The car that was given to us had 28,000 miles on it, was dented and scratched all over as well as rattling like crazy. Again, we had to drive to LAX to make the exchange, taking us out of our way.

Overall, my experience with Avis has been disappointing. I will not be renting from them again and will be posting this review on different review sites. It is frustrating to have to deal with these issues when I am paying for a service. I hope Avis can improve their customer service and quality of their vehicles in the future.

Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis Terrible Experience with Avis Car Rental: Outrageous Fees and Poor Customer Service

I recently rented a car from Avis in Pittsburgh, PA on November 3, 2022. It was a Thursday and I arrived at 11:45am. The staff informed me that the rental cost was $38 per day and an additional $16 per day for liability insurance. I decided to rent the car for 3 days, which cost me $97 upfront, plus a refundable deposit of $200 upon return of the car. The staff also reminded me to return the car with a full tank of gas and not to smoke inside the vehicle.

On the 5th day of my rental, I received a call from Avis asking if I was returning the car. I informed them that I would be keeping the car for a few more days. Eventually, I returned the car on November 9th at 11:00am. The staff handed me a bill, but I didn't bother to check it. I asked if the extra days would be deducted from my security deposit, and they confirmed that it would be. They informed me that I had about $140 left in my security deposit, which I thought was reasonable since I had already paid $97 upfront.

However, the next day, I tried to order food and realized that I had no money in my account. To my surprise, Avis had charged me $648 for the rental, which included a $185 loss damage waiver fee that I never ordered. They also charged me for an extension fee, a late fee, a state surcharge fee, a county surcharge fee, and a passenger fee, even though I never had anyone else in the car with me. I was shocked and frustrated that they had charged me so many bogus fees that I had never even heard of.

I tried to call Avis to dispute the charges, but I was hung up on and even screamed at. I couldn't believe that they had charged me $646 for renting a car for 5 days, which was supposed to cost me only $38 per day plus liability insurance. It was the worst car rental experience I've ever had, and I will never rent a car from them again.

In conclusion, I would not recommend Avis to anyone looking to rent a car. Their fees are outrageous, and their customer service is terrible. It's a shame that they ruined what could have been a good rental experience.

C
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avis Avis Rental: Worst Experience Ever - Charged Twice for Prepaid Rental & Terrible Customer Service

This rental experience was the worst I've ever had in my life. I've rented a lot of vehicles over the years, but this one was a complete disaster. My family and I needed a 7 passenger vehicle to drive around Idaho for our vacation, which was already going to be expensive. However, Avis offered a discount of about $300 if we pre-paid in full, so we took advantage of it. The price was still outrageous, but we had no other choice. We booked the rental online and paid the full amount, which brought the price down from $1500 to $1200. (Can you believe it? $1200 for a minivan!)

We returned the vehicle on time, with a full tank of gas, and no damage. However, Avis charged my credit card for the full rental amount of over $1500, even though we had already paid in full. So now, we had to pay over $2700 for a Dodge Grand Caravan, which was completely featureless, by the way.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with customer service and sent an email with proof of payment for the prepayment and proof that I was billed a second time for the same rental. The customer service rep couldn't see that I had pre-paid, even though my bank account receipt clearly showed Avis's withdrawal of the funds. They said they would try to resolve the issue within 10-14 days, but I never heard anything back from them.

Finally, I received an email saying that they would refund my prepayment amount of approximately $1200, but they would keep the second charged amount for over $1500. This completely took away the savings of prepaying and increased my rental by about $50 a day! This was completely dishonest and the worst "customer service" experience I've ever had. I will never rent from Avis again and will make sure to tell everyone I know about this terrible experience.

To make matters worse, we had to wait for 45 minutes at the Boise airport at 9:30pm with five young kids because they didn't have a vehicle ready for us. It was a complete nightmare. I would never recommend Avis to anyone.

Overview of Avis customer experience

Avis, the car rental company, has received numerous consumer complaints regarding their services. Customers have reported issues with the company's customer service, billing practices, and vehicle maintenance. Many have complained about being overcharged or charged for services they did not receive. Others have reported receiving dirty or poorly maintained vehicles. Avis has also been criticized for their lack of transparency and communication with customers. These issues have led to a negative reputation for the company and have caused many customers to seek alternative car rental options.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Avis contacts