AT&T Wirlessfee for service not provided

Last May my wife and I travel out of the country for four weeks. First I called Qwest to suspend my home phone and internet service. I was told I could do that for a monthly fee of $5 only. Encouraged by the savings I called AT&T to temporarily suspend my cellular service as well. I talked to customer service rep that sounded very helpful. I explained my reason and intention to save some money by temporarily suspending my service while I was away and the agent was happy to help. When I ask what would happen and what I need to do, I was told that upon my return I can call AT&T and service will be resumed.

Upon my returned, I called AT&T and my service was established. When I receive my next month bills, I noticed that a full monthly service fee was assessed for the entire time I was out of the country and while my service was suspended. In addition I was charged $35 reconnection fee for each of the two lines I have. In all the calls I made to AT&T, I was not informed at any time that there would be no savings by suspending my service and there was no mention of any extra reconnection charges.

When I called AT&T customer service, I was told that it is AT&T policy to charge for a full month service fee. Remember this is for a suspended service. After talking to a couple agents I talked to a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor that if I was told that there would be no savings by suspending my service, I would have simply shut down our phones and traveled abroad let alone agree to pay another $70 in reconnection fee for the two lines.

When I ask why I was not told about the charges, the supervisor said that it is AT&T’s internal policy not to tell. I found this to be very deceiving and unethical business practice. Since AT&T could not explain to me why I should pay for a service that was not provided to begin with, I was forced to disconnect my service.

• Ev
    ever love Jan 17, 2010

I recieved a bill that stated I owed a great amount of money to at&t and I am completely lost because your bill didn't state complete facts of the rreason I owe this money and I would like to state that I have moved and have been using a different company for my cellphone use.

• St
    Stephen L Williams Jan 31, 2010

We did everything...AT&T said they wouldn't pay the rebate. Typical theft by a big company...what a fraud!

• Gr
    Gregory Verrett Apr 10, 2013

I have a problem with them telling you one thing and somebody else saying something different it's not my first time but might be my last time I was calling to try and get my phone fix in such the lady stated it would be 199 with the insurance I then asked for my upgrade she told me wasn't do until june or july I then stated a manager back in oct. stated to me i would be do for one at the end of march she stated no I asked them to read them notes she stated they don't put that in notes..I have been a customer with them sent 9/08 with two lines my problems with this is that they need to be more clear and detail with there notes and stop saying one thing and doing something else..I every pissed off and tired on dealing with this bs with them need to be more professional.

Gregory Verrett