Aspen Dentalunneeded dental procedure

D Nov 16, 2018

In November of 2017 I was scheduled for hip replacement surgery. The surgeon said that a dental clearance was required because the presence of an infection in the gums could cause the hip replacement to fail. I was in terrible pain at the time due to my hip.

I went to Aspen Dental to get checked. I had had extensive periodontal surgery many years prior, and had not had bleeding gums or other gum issues since then. Aspen Dental did X-rays and declared that I had periodontal disease that needed treatment.

The cost was almost $2000.00. The Aspen representative stated that she had "checked with my insurance, and they would cover half of the cost. Because I needed to get this done so I could get the surgery done on my hip, I payed my share of the cost -about $900.00, because I had been assured by Aspen Dental that my insurance would pay the balance.

On the day of the procedure, I was expecting it to take a long time. It was done by a technician, only took less than an hour, and consisted of probing along my gum line with a needle and injecting something at the gum line.

Weeks later, I received a bill from Aspen Dental for $700.00. Aspen told me that my
insurance had only payed a small portion of the bill.

Aspen deceived me in regard to the need for this procedure, and falsely assured me that they had "confirmed with my insurance company that they would pay the balance of the bill".