Aspen Dentalpoor service

We started using Aspen Dental in the spring of 2009, after we relocated to Indiana in the fall of 2008. I haven't had one good visit from 2008 and present. The employees don't really care if you wait an excessive amount of time. There is no communication between the client and the personnel. The receptionist would rather eat than familiarize herself with the clients. I've had to handle the communication between my insurance company and Aspen. Never can I remember a time that I haven't had to call up and 'scold' someone regarding my bills. All cleanings and routine x-rays are covered, yet I get a bill and have to make calls every time we've had them perform a service. So, now that a new dental office has opened in my area that handles my insurance, we have made the choice to move, yet again. Anyone that is looking for a dental provider stay CLEAR of Aspen Dental. You will have more headaches, or toothaches, respectively than you will want to take on. Contact your insurance company to get a list of their approved, in-network, dental providers. And, if they deal with Aspen, turn them on to this site and others that have multiple listings of complaints against this company. Don't bother complaining to the corporate office. You won't get anywhere.

• Nm
    nmiller51 May 08, 2014

Aspen Dental opened an office in Columbus Georgia in September 2013. I am in the process of getting a partial, When they pulled the 2 molar's I was told the partial was 500.00 plus almost 400 for pulling the 2 teeth. I had already paid in full for the teeth that were pulled before they pulled them. After the 2 teeth were pulled I was told the bill was now a 1, 000.00. I said that can't be right, they were going to charge me 500.00 for a temporary ( that I could not have used as the jaw bone was showing ) plus the 500.00 for the partial. I told them no one had mentioned charging me for a temporary that I could not use. The charge for the temporary was removed, then they made it for the next week to make a mold. I called 2 days before to cancel as my mouth was too sore and had to almost argue with the girl to cancel.
    . When I did go, the Dentiist told me I need 2 months to heal before the mold is done. I got my visit for June 10 on a card they give you/. Now I am getting letters telling me to make my appt. I called and was told that I am not scheduled for another visit There is also a sharp piece of tooth that was left that has to be removed.. I am getting a a lot of doubts about the place and it is aggravating.

• Si
    simplypissed Nov 20, 2012

I called Aspen Dental in Concord NH to get an emergency appt for a broken tooth. They did fit me right in the next night after 5pm. When I got there they took me back for x rays and then I moved to another room. The dentist came in, looked at the xrays and then my tooth. He said that should hurt since the nerve is exposed. The hygenist then took me up from to speak with the lady in credit. I was confused, I made the appointment because I was in severe pain, I was already in the chair- fix it or pull it. I sat with the credit lady and gave her my insurance info and she gave me the cost, I said fine and can I go back now? HA HA! I had to make an appointment. I almost fell out of the chair. At this point, I was in tears. They gave me an appointment for a week laster, I expressed to her my disbelief at this whole procedure. She replied with it simply being the policy. I was able to get the appointment moved to to two days later. The tooth was pulled and I was charged a higher rate, but what do you do when you are in agony, looking at the chair and the dentist that will fix ti all for you? You pay it. The free cleanign and xrays were charged to my insurance. Complaining to Aspen Dental doesn't help. The policy is that if you have insurance, you pay, if you don't have insurance, it's free. I asked if I was better off not giving my insurance information. No response to that from them. Absolutley horrible company to deal with with.

• Dc
    dclem May 17, 2011

I have used Aspen Dental in Waterford for a few years and they have done 'ok' work, but nowhere near as good as Bridgeworks in Groton. The only reason I went to Aspen was they were one of the few places covered by my insurance. Anyways the problem I have with Aspen is they make it difficult to go in and get work done without always playing above and beyond what insurance pays. Even when they do agree you come in and find out they scheduled you for the extra work anyways. If you refused they will give you a 'tell it to the hand' attitude and to just go away and reschedule for another day. Of course scheduling with Aspen is a very time consuming process because you have to more than meet them half way and deal with arm twisting with the work they want to do. Bottom line, if you are not ready to pay all kinds of extra money to get work done, expect decent customer service, and don't like people wasting you time -then don't go to Aspen dental.

• Dj
    djohnson125 Jan 05, 2011

I went to Aspen Dental back in April 2009...the service was terrible. The dentist who performed the evaluation on my teeth was nothing but a high minded arrogant buffoon. The office I visited is located in Mayfield Hts., Ohio...I will never again go to that office, neither would I ever recommend anyone to go there. I would never again let anyone with the attitude this fool had do any work on my mouth again...he just plain old did not know how to talk to people. I don't see how they let him continue to practice dentistry!

• To
    toothlessinct Jun 16, 2010

my lawyer told me to have no contact I tried that route already.

• Allie at Aspen Dental Jun 16, 2010

I am very sorry to hear about your experience! Please know that every Aspen Dental office strives to provide quality care for every patient.

Below is the contact information for the patient satisfaction team - located in Syracuse, NY. Please don't hesitate to call them and discuss your concerns further. This team is trained to help resolve these types of issues.

They can be reached at [protected] or [email protected]

Thanks,
    Allie

• To
    toothlessinct Jun 16, 2010

I went to see a Dr. at Aspen dental in Waterford CT. After giving them a lot of money and not getting any work done I tried to go to another Aspen office to get the work done. I went to the office in Lisbon CT. I went in they did a whole new exam and charged me even more money since the two outcomes were not the same. I went for a series of appointments to get my dentures made before I had my teeth pulled. On the day I got my teeth pulled the Dr was an hour late and then she pulled out the wrong bottom teeth. It has been 4 weeks and they are still making me the right bottom denture since I now have different teeth than I was supposed to and I have been walking around without bottom teeth in the front.

The whole office lies and says it was because they were bad teeth well someone could have stopped and consulted me if that were true I think the Dr didnt look at her notes and just started pulling.

• Ho
    hoppipolla Mar 18, 2010

Hm i have had absolutely no problems with Aspen Dental! I think the first post by Cheris is just rediculous, Julie is more reasonable.. But Cheris, seriously? They have problems due to an EMERGENCY one day and the lady is puking and your blame it on them... I think her infection is a little bit more important to her and them than your teeth cleaning. it's standard that every dentist office takes Xrays b/c some dentists may not agree with others. and no way the x ray machine "fell" on you, are u serious??? It spins and swivels, it's held up. That xray machine is worth more than your annual pay check... jesus.. grow up and stop over exaggerating your "experience"

• Pa
    Patti1221 Mar 12, 2010

Pls. contact me at [email protected] . I’m looking into initiating a class action lawsuit against Aspen Dental

• Ro
    Rodney Knutson Jan 07, 2010

I came in to have my teeth pulled because of periodontal disease and they said they would not pull my good teeth only the damaged ones. They said they could fill the ones with cavities and put crowns on, and make and upper and lower partial. I only have 3 upper real teeth, and wanted dentures for the top. But they insisted that they would not pull the good teeth. Isn't it my choice since i will be paying for them. I think they just wanted to do all the fixes so they could charge me more money. I have a temp bottom partial that I can wear but have to remove to eat cause it pops out as soon as i bite down. But this is the only dentist that my insurance will pay for. What a pity.

• Allie at Aspen Dental Oct 26, 2009

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience with us. Please don’t hesitate to call our patient satisfaction team at [protected]. Or, if you’d like, you can e-mail us directly at [email protected]

• Mi
    missxtina Oct 25, 2009

My poor experiences with this company occurred over the course of 2007. I finally was enrolled with dental insurance, so I picked a dentist and went for it. They priced out all my work to be a little over 1500 dollars. And signed me up for care credit without fully explaining that I would be billed by care credit before any work was even done! So that was the first issue. Then finally I began having work done...and the trouble REALLY begins. I went for a routine cavity filling, the guy drills into a tooth i never even felt any pain in, and stops after a minute and says that the cavity is too deep and that I need root canal! WHAT?! So he put a temp filling in it and sent me on my way, it fell out that night and I still have not been able to have it fixed. The next time I went I had extreme pain in a tooth that I know needed to either be pulled or have root canal. I couldn't afford a root canal and asked them to pull it. They refused to pull it and did a pulpotomy to "hold me over". Well, the infection never went away and the reason I wanted it pulled was because I was losing my coverage soon due to an upcoming move. I called to say that it hadn't worked and the woman I spoke with told me that they had told me I needed a root canal and this was just a temporary fix. It wasn't a fix at all! She got an ear full from me and I haven't called back since. On top of the bad service, the people who work for aspen dental are not compassionate or understanding of any fears a person may have of the dentist and made me feel childish and stupid for having trouble with that, when on their website they claimed to be very understanding of that sort of thing. My suggestion if you are looking for a good dentist, use the tried and true word of mouth method to find one, because people are honest about service when it comes to someone working on their mouth!

• Ju
    Julie Dec 03, 2008

I was also at the Illinois Road Aspen Dental in Fort Wayne IN on 11/28/08 with my boyfriend. He was told that at his appointment, he would have his 4 wisdom teeth taken out (two of which were impacted) and have some cavitities filled all after a gum cleaning. His appointment was at 8:30AM (first of the day) and we were told that he would be done in two hours. However, when I arrived at 10AM (to be a little early) I found him sitting in the waiting room - he had only gotten his gums cleaned! He was not seen again until nearly 11AM. I found this unusual becuase with all the chaos of the other patients and the acceptace of every walk in (despite already being overbooked) I did not see where the dentist would get to eat lunch or anything. The receptionist siad that everyone ate around noon - but a dental assistant was there at least. It took them nearly 4 hours to extract his wisdom teeth. They even had to break one while in his gums to get the pieces out because they could not get it all at once! The receptionist gave me the two pages of instructions, however, it said nothing about what meds he could take. When I asked her this, she said he would need to take the pain killer and the amoxicillian that would both be perscribed. The dosages would be on the bottles. I asked her if I could get these perscriptions early and she said no. As the procudure came to an end, my boyfriend told me that the numbing medicine they gave him was wearing off and he could feel them putting in the stiches! (And no, they did not fill the cavitites too.) By the time we left the dentist office it was 3PM and we were off to get the perscription filled ASAP becuase he was already feeling the pain. -Everyone that I talked to said they were so drugged up they did not even realize were they were until after they were home when they had this done. - All that evening he was in horrible pain, nearly in tears (and he does not cry)! I called the emergency number to reach the on call dentist just to find out we had to wait one hour for him to call back. I asked if I could up his pain meds or if there was something else I should do. When his dentist called back (the same one who worked on thim that day), he told me that he should have been taking ibuprofen too. Neither of us was told that at the dentist office, nor was it on the directions. This helped the pain and swelling some.

The next day at his follow up, we waited for about a 1/2 hour before were seen. The dentist asked if he had been rinsing with salt water. I told him no becuase the directions said not to let him rinse his mouth or spit. He said he needed to do that from the very beginning. I let him know that would have been nice to know from the beginning, just like the ibuprofen. He then asked one the dental assistants to call the patient who had just left to make sure she knew this information too. They have horrible communication problems at that place!

Then on Monday, I called because he was in pain. I asked how I would know if he had dry socket and the receptionist told me that there would be pain (duh) and he would have to come in to be sure. There is apparently no way of telling if you are a normal person?!?!?! It was near closing time when I called, so Tuesday morning we went in as soon as they opened to get it checked out. However, we were told that he could not be seen until noon (yes, when they eat lunch) becuase the dentist was already in sugery. They had just called the first patient back seconds ago. I thought this was rediculous and we left - telling her that we would have to find someone who knew what they were doing.

He is not going back to them! They are only good for the free first appointment (where you get xrays and everything). However, they are not even good at that. My sugggestion, is to get the free appointment if you have to, then have your records tranftered to a real dentist - someone who knows how to run an office and knows what he is doing.

Cheris Nov 30, 2008

I went to Aspen Dental on Illinois Road in Fort Wayne Indiana on 11/28/08. This was my first visit, I decided to try Aspen Dental because it was close to my home and my other dentist was clear across town. My appointment was for 10:00 am. I filled out my paper work and wait for about 25 minutes. I was going in for a cleaning however was told that i would have to get x-rays first and then come back at a later date for my cleaning. During the x-ray process i was hit with the x-ray machine several times and it was even dropped on my clavicle bone. After the x-rays I was taken to a room and told to wait for the doctor. In the room beside me a lady was throwing up non stop. Why would anyone want to hear that. Her husband was in the room with her and was telling someone on his cell phone that she was very sick due to getting an infection after having a crown done by Aspen Dental. I thought maybe this was a bad choice coming here. I waited and waited, 30 minutes later the office manager came in and told me the doctor would be in shortly. It was now 11:30. I asked her if shortly meant 5 minutes or 30 minutes. She said she wasn't gonna lie to me and it was probably not going to be 5 minutes. She said she knew I was probably upset because I had to listen to the poor women in the room beside me throwing up but they did not have any other rooms to put me in. She asked me if i would like to reschedule. I told her no, and that i would just go to the dentist i have been going to for years. She told me she understood and there would not be any charge. This was the worst experience ever. I have been sure to tell everyone how awful my Aspen Dental experience was and I will continue to tell everyone.

Mallory Nov 02, 2008

I myself am beginning to look into filing some kind of claim regarding the horrible experience I have had at Aspen Dental. The have left me in constant pain after filling four cavities they claimed I had. My honest belief is that I had nothing wrong with those teeth at all before they filled them, and now I probably need to have them pulled.

• Ka
    Kathy,RDH Sep 11, 2008

As a dental professional, I have heard numerous stories just like this from patients who have come to our office from an Aspen Dental "experience". Along with the BBB report, (1) I highly recommend contacting your local /county dental association. There is usually a committee of dentists within the organization that handles complaints about their colleagues and will investigate incompetent or illegal practices withing the dental offices in their area and report it to the state or take some action . If you cannot find out who that is in your area, you could also go to your state dental association ( Ex: Pennsylvania Dental Association /PDA). This is a professional association. You will find internet sites to give you contact numbers or addresses. (2) Another agency to report this to would be your State Board of Dentistry. This is the state governing body for the dentists of your state. Legal steps can be taken by them for dental malpractice - fines, removing a doctors license and the ability to practice within your state. (3) Depending on the extent of the injury caused, it would also be wise to make a report to your district attorney's office for criminal proceedings. If it is happening to you, it is happening to others and when issues like this hit the news media many others will come forward with their stories.

If enough people make these complaints it is more likely to get resolved and stop this inexcusable treatment. REPORT, REPORT, REPORT! The more times it is heard - the sooner action will be taken. This incompetence should not be happening. People are being hurt by it and your state officials need to know about it.

The patients who have come to us have tears in their eyes about their "Aspen smile", just like the tears on the commercials - but they are not tears of joy. Aspen's commercials are emotional and compelling. Unfortunately, the emotion that they evoke within me is one of disgust as I have seen too many outcomes from their "quality of dentistry" that have permanently changed people's smiles - but not for the better.

sandra Jul 05, 2008

I went to aspen dental 12/08. I had a tooth extracted and was fitted for a temporary partial. One of the clasp had to be cut off because it did not line up with my teeth, one tooth on it had to be cut down it was nothing like my original tooth. After having a cleaning, my permanent bridge fell out.nothing to hold the temp. partial in. I went in and asked them to cut off the existing clasp sitting in my mouth attached to nothing. They had no one to do this. So I went home and removed it myself. Upon getting fitted for a cap it was discovered my tooth that was extracted was not completely removed. They had to remove the rest of the tooth. I did not even get a "sorry about that". I was notified my cap was in, low and behold it didn't fit. I have notified the BBB and will be seeking out a lawyer. Stay away from Aspen Dental.We need to file a class action law suit.