Aspen Dentalperiodontal work

C

I went in to have a broken tooth fixed. They told me I needed periodontal work done before they would touch the tooth and whisked me to a desk and had me apply for a $1900 loan for the work. I was too intimidated to get a second opinion. People have since told me periodontal issues are easily visible...receding gums etc, and I had none of that. And the hygenist did the work, not even a periodontist.

• Ir
    Irene Nov 06, 2008

I'm a periodontist and it's unfortunate that your hygienist/dentist did not thoroughly explain to you the causes of periodontal disease and the risks of not treating it prior to doing any other dental work such as crowns and fillings. It's not true what you heard from your friends that periodontal disease is "obvious". If it's so obvious, anyone can become a dentist, right? It can only be diagnosed through xrays and a clinical oral exam. Periodontal disease can be painless and someone would not know anything is wrong until the disease is very severe. You should be thankful that the dentist you saw diagnosed periodontal disease for you. Many dentists "miss" it, believe it or not. In regards to a hygienist performing the treatment, yes, hygienists are trained to treat the first phase of periodontal disease treatment, which is the non-surgical portion (scaling and root planing "deep cleaning"). Then after this phase, if surgery is necessary, then a periodontist would perform the gum surgery.
    I think this was all a mis-communication and lack of patient education on their part. I guess they overbook and don't have enough time to explain things to you.