Complaints & Reviews

misleading!

Aspen Dental, Warwick, RI. I went to Aspen dental to get my teeth cleaned, and I wanted a tooth checked that was giving me some discomfort. When I filled out the papers for the necessary information, I put down my visit was for cleaning and check. I was given a full set of X-rays which I didn’t need and when the dentist checked my teeth, and the X-rays, he didn’t even see the cavity on the tooth that I wanted checked. I did have a broken tooth right above the one that was bothering me. His main concern was capping the one that was broken, and not taking care of the one that was bothering me. I made an appointment to get the cavity taken care of.

When I went for the appointment he started working on the tooth that needed a cap, and not on the one that needed the filling. I told him that I wanted the cavity taken care of on the lower tooth. He did the filling and then started working on the broken tooth that needed the cap, which I did not want done at that time. He went ahead and put a temporary filling in, and said nothing about a core buildup, which is needed for a crown. When I received my statement from the insurance company, it listed it as a core build up which is not covered by my insurance.

On the Aspen bill it was listed as core buildup with pins. I questioned the core buildup and pins listed on the Aspen statement. In a phone conversation I was told that there was one pin put in and that two were not needed. When I went to pay the for the core buildup with pin, I found out there were no pins at all and that the price was the same, with or with out pins. The person told me that it was listed as core buildup/pins, meaning that the core buildup could have pins, pin, or none. This in itself was inconsistent with what the bill stated, because on the Aspen statement it plainly stated core buildup with pins. Beware of Aspen Dental; they will take advantage of any person that is not aware of their pressure tactics. They obviously can’t keep track of what they do and don’t do. And are confused on the proper terminology too clarify their work done.

• Go
    Godisone Jul 31, 2008

AS per American Dental Association CDT codes code for core build (with/without pins) is 2950. It is universal code and that is how it is listed. statement is not indicative. It is the dentist's treatment notes which will tell you, as on statement, whether pins were placed or not it will be Code 2950.

• Se
    Seaotter Sep 29, 2009

After reading quite a few of these complaints I knew I had to write one myself. I so hope that people will come here to read these comments before going to Aspen Dental.
    I had changed dental insurance so scheduled a cleaning. I went in and after waiting 45 minutes, I was finally brought into a room to have X-rays done. I was then brought into a room which seemed more like a hair salon than a dental office. I got to watch TV while the hygenist poked around. I was still waiting for the cleaning...

After the "look around" and measuring the depth of gums, etc. I was told I would need 2 sessions of deep cleaning, I needed a cavity filled and my crown would need replacement. I would also have to buy this extremely important toothbrush...After TWO hours, and still no cleaning, and being practically forced to sign off on the treatments I walked out in tears and vowed never to return.

Went to my regular dentist and paid the extra fees as he was not one of the approved dentists for my insurance. The results...my teeth were fine ("You do a great job keeping your teeth clean"), I do have a tiny hole but it is NOT a cavity, my crown was irritated as I had a cold and the nerves in the tooth were hurting from the sinus pain.

DO NOT go to Aspen - they seem to tell everybody the SAME thing - we all seem to have horrible decaying teeth..

• Allie at Aspen Dental Sep 30, 2009

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience with us. Please don’t hesitate to call our patient satisfaction team at 1-866-273-8606 with any questions or concerns you may have. Or, if you’d like, you can e-mail us directly at [email protected]

Thanks,
    Allie

• Ru
    rubyrain Dec 28, 2009

I sent my son the Aspen to have his teeth cleaned. He is 21 (a college student, still my dependent) and had his teeth cleaned regularly since he was 2. His regular dentist retired. He had the same experience at Aspen that you did. He waited for over an hour to be seen. Then after the poking around, he was seated with the billing girl and presented with a "treatment" cost of $1200. He told them he would have to talk to me since he was on my insurance and I was paying the bill. He never got the cleaning. When I inquired about the treatment, I was told that he had peridontal disease and needed deep cleaning and special products. I told them they were crazy that he had his teeth taken care of and the cleanings were covered in full by my insurance and any fillings would cost my only $20 or $30 out of pocket. I was told that the other dentist was not cleaning his teeth properly!! When I asked for the breakdown, I was treated very rudely and told that the cost was for the total treatment. I insisted on a breakdown and finally had the paper literally thrown at me. It consisted of alot of unnecessary items. Things that the insurance would not cover. NO cleaning cost that much!!! They even charged for the visit and xrays even though they advertise that they are free for the new patient. When I asked about that, the girl conveniently had a large cardboard sign right beside her and she held it up in my face and pointed out the fine print that stated it was not include with any insurance coverage. Right there I knew they were scam artists. I said my son would not return. Bad part about it is that he now has to wait another 6 months for a cleaning at another dentist since they got the insurance money for that visit even though they did nothing. What crooks they are.

matt murray Jan 17, 2012

they wanted to charge six thousand worth of work and wouldnt give me a copy of the exam what kind of dentist wont give you a a copy of the exam? whats the secret? It definitely seemed like they were running up the bill and they wanted 40 percent that day! 40 percent of six thousand??? what a joke

Beware!

Thank you all for your comments. I had just received dental insurance from my new employer, and of course, the only Dentist in their network was Aspen Dental. I decided that I would try them out before sending my husband and four kids there. My first impression when pulling in was fear! They were located in a shopping mall! Oh well, I had a coupon so I knew I would be out of no money, It was only x-rays. I continued and check in, they had me waiting for 2 HOURS!

During these 2 hours I had plenty of time to watch how they operated. First of all, ALL the technicians appeared to be fresh out of college. (Nothing wrong with that, but I would have preferred to see a few people over 30 overseeing things). Then they proceeded to bring my fellow waiters up to the billing clerk to receive money prior to service. Now I was quite a bit skeptical. But I stayed the course and continued to wait, being thankful that I didn't put my kids through this.

Finally, my turn!! I go in get my x-rays and continue to another room to wait, and wait, and wait another 45 minutes. Then a Doctor comes in, looks at my x-rays and tells me that I have the beginning stages of gum disease and 4 cavities. He then proceeds to insult an oral surgeon who had done work on me a number of years ago.

Then he has his assistant go through the "plan" with me. She said that I would need a slew of medications and flouride tied into all this work I would need. Flouride??? for $85?? I am over 30!! Now I am feeling like this is a joke and there is a camera somewhere. I continue to speak to the billing/insurance girl before I leave. She continues to inform me that all this work I need done is going to cost me $2500!

I have never had a single cavity in my 30+ years, and brush, floss and wash regularly. I told the girl that I would not be making another appointment and conceded that this experience was one of learning, taking 3.5 hours of my life to investigate a dentist that I now know I will NEVER bring myself or my family to.

• Ss
    sspinney Apr 28, 2008

I to was misled by Aspen Dental- I had services done in there Dedham, Ma office - I went in for a exam and consultation- I was told that I had gum disease and that before any other issues were taken care of I needed to have this addressed immendiatly - I was given a estimate of $1, 255.00 -and I was
    told that my Dental insurance would not cover any peridontal cleaning- Jennifer the fnancial person said that because of this she could give me the package for $1, 155.00.
    I also asked for a Fee for services schedule - ( a break done of
    exactly what I was paying fo) her response was that Aspen dental does not provide that to its clients. I consulted with My dental insurance carrier and they told me no matter what I
    should only put done 50% of the payment and to make sure
    that Aspen dental submittied the costs to them- When I went in for the cleaning I paid $562.50 of course on care credit-
    I was also given the Rotodent and was told that it was part of the packagee there would be no additional charge. A few weeks later I receive a Bill from Aspen Dental Headquarter in the amount of 1, 785.00- I called to question this and the very
    rude CSR told me to ingnore this and wait and see what my Insurance paid- Well they did get $500+ from my Insurance
    company and they expect me to pay them a additional $600+
    and guess what the ROtodent isn't part of the package either
    I have tried to resolve this issue with them to no end-
    they will not receive that balnce from me I would rathert go to court to resolve this issue - They are very deceitful in there
    business practices and thay commit insurance fraud .

• Allie at Aspen Dental Apr 10, 2009

Aspen Dental is committed to providing all patients with exceptional service and care. Amy, we sincerely apologize if your visit to our office was anything less. We want to do everything we can to address your concerns. I have forwarded your message to a member of our Patient Satisfaction team who will get back to you shortly. Amy, we are committed to your total satisfaction and we look forward resolving any issues quickly and courteously. Thank you for letting Aspen Dental serve you.

scam and dishonesty!

I recently moved to Keene, NH and found that Aspen Dental is the only dentist in town covered by my...

fraud and rip off!

This fly by night Dental company is a rip off I am looking for any Lawyer interested in my case over 5,000 in...

stay away from aspen dental!!!

Stay away from aspen dental torrington, ct!!! In 2008 I went to aspen dental. I need a lot of work root...

pushing gimic services

Last week I went to Aspen Dental in Auburn NY. I figured I would give them a try. They were offering free...

scam artist!

My employer switched to Aspen Dental. The only place t hat takes this is Aspen. I asked if I could make an appointment to get one tooth fixed until I could afford all the dental and if I could do it a little at a time. They said no and refused to assist me. They said I would have to get a "treatment plan" and sign the contract? Where is there somewhere I can report this too? I mean someone has to let the media and BBB know that this group called Aspen Dental is a bunch of ripoff artists.

• Je
    Jessica May 12, 2008

I agree 100%, I am telling you do not go to Aspen Dental! They told me I had a Periodontal disease, I went to get a second opinion and they said there was no sign of a gum disease, Aspen was just trying to get money off me!! They also said I had 5 cavities, I got a second opinion and was told I have one. Several dentists have warned me about aspen dental, if you don't believe me, just google aspen dental complaints!! I thank God I did not get my wisdom teeth taken out there!!

• Allie at Aspen Dental Apr 10, 2009

Aspen Dental is committed to providing all patients with exceptional service and care. Jackie, we sincerely apologize if your visit to our office was anything less. We want to do everything we can to address your concerns. I have forwarded your message to a member of our Patient Satisfaction team who will get back to you shortly. Jackie, we are committed to your total satisfaction and we look forward resolving any issues quickly and courteously. Thank you for letting Aspen Dental serve you.

• Sh
    sharon rosegole Jun 26, 2009

my husband just got dentures and they are cutting into his bottom gums so he called to see if he could get back in real soon
    they told him they would try to work with him, mind my husband id a truck driver and goes in to work at 9:00 everyday
    thru the week but they said that they couldn`t get him til 4:00 so he suggested that me is wife could bring them in and I could let them know where to fix them at if so he could tell over his cell phone they respond by saying no they couldn`t do that so he said that
    well i guess i have to do it mayself then they said not to do that it would void the warranty
    she said they were trying to work with him I don`t know how they think that when they know he is a truck driver and they don`t get done the same time everyday so you let me know what the heck is he suppose to do they sure work with him during the time of getting the dentures now that they are here and paid for they don`t want to work with him it`s like will I got your money yur on your own now
    what the heck is that!!!

• Pa
    paul leblanc Jun 07, 2011

I am a single dad with two kids on my own. for years I spent what I could on my ex wife's teeth before we divorced and my childrens teeth then and since. I have not had dental ins for many years (even with jobs I had) over the years I wound up with two hack dentists who really messed me up.
    Getting to the base, I now have lost all my upper teeth to rot, and all my back bottom teeth and now the front bottoms are going. I went to Aspen in Nashua NH for help and all was great. the staff was very nice and the dr was great and I told them my story. All was awesome till I sat with the financial person. I said I could pay $100 per mo to get extractions and full upper and lower dentures they said $10, 000.00 and would not set me up on ANY plan due to my not having any credit card or bank account or job currently. I had my mother there who was offering to pay 1/2 the $100 per mo... I can barely eat and if not for my kids I would eat a bullet
    It all came down to the almighty $$$ Thanks Aspen!!!

Practice!

On Janunary 15, 2008, I went to Aspen dental, Seekonk MA to get my teeth cleaned. After the service, they...

Abcessed and calcified tooth!

Beware of Aspen Dental. On November 24, 2006, I went to Aspen Dental to get a second opinion about some gum...

fraud & cheating!

In 2007 I went to Aspen dental after getting dental insurance. I told them that I wanted some of my teeth...

treatment or lack of

I have been going to Aspen Dental now for a few years. I was never really comfortable there. After all it...

charged for services not rendered

I went into Aspen Dental on October 22, 2007 for an exam. After the exam I was told that I needed over $4700...

charging us for services covered by insurance

My husband went to Aspen Dental in Belle Vernon, PA as a new patient, as a referral from his insurance...

be weary and do your research!

I went last year to Aspen Dental to get work done. It is walkable from work, so it was the best choice for...

avoid this place at all costs!

3515 hudson dr., stow ohio

This company has absolutely no ethics. They were going to charge me $700 over what they would have charged my insurance for dental work on me and my two daughters. The problem is that is a breach of contract with the insurance company. They are not allowed to charge over the agreed upon price in their contract.

Secondly, the work they were going to do on my children - each supposedly had cavities that needed filled - did not need done. I took them to another dentist and neither of them had any cavities. Aspen dental was going to shoot my children full of drugs, drill into their teeth and put fillings in them when there is nothing wrong with them. Avoid this place at all costs!!!

• Di
    Disgruntled Near-Patient Jul 24, 2008

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH T.JOHNS - GO ELSE WHERE
    I wish I had read this before I wasted 2 hours there. I called & told them I would like to schedule a new patient cleaning & xrays. They called 3 times to confirm my appt- should have been a red flag. Finally appt day...Well, only after getting my xrays and WAITING by myself for an hour in a chair was I told that 1st appts are only evaluations & xrays. Cleanings are the next appt. I was NEVER told this when I SPECIFICALLY called to schedule a cleaning & xrays-even wrote that on my forms when I arrived for my appt as to why I was there. I paid for & took copies of my xrays to take to a REAL DENTIST.

• Ps
    P*ssed Off Sep 09, 2008

Agree with the above. My wife went in today for mouth pain and came out being told she needs 11, 000 in work!!! She is 40 years old with no real oral problems, she is being told that all her cavities need crowns and caps and she will need a partial plate, etc. Mind you she is not 80 but 40 and in good health. I called my insurance comapny and even they were suprised. We are getting a second opinion tomrrow, will update with results.. Amazing they would put $$ above patient safety!

• Ta
    TaraLee1980 Mar 22, 2010

Whatever you do..do not go to this scam of a dentist. I went there for a routine cleaning and was told that I had periodontial diease. They explained to me that I needed rooting and scaling on all 4 quad, irrigation on all teeth, and antibiotics injected into 'pockets'. After they scared me enough they pulled me back into a room to go over costs. I was told it was going to be $2225 for everything, my insurance would cover $800 and I had to come up with $1425. Like a fool I gave them $1000 on my credit card and went in that afternoon for half of the procedure. After a few days of discussing with people what I had done, what it cost, and them telling me I was out of my mind, I decided to call my insurance company. They informed me that the entire necessary procedure was only $50 per quad and everything else was an extra procedure. I then requested an itemized bill (which I had never seen before) and realized I had paid $139 for toothbrush, $30 for toothpaste, $20 for mouthwash, and $174 a pocket for anitbiotics that I was never informed that were recommened or even optional procedures or products. I called 3 other dentist offices and 2 of them said they didnt even offer the arestin (antibiotic) and the other informed me that he recommends it to patients only if it is severe which I clearly was not. When I tried to dispute, 4 phone calls to managers later, she finaly did give me back the cost of the tooth brush if I would schedule the 2nd half of my appointment. I told her there is no way I was going back to such an unethical establishment. Bottom line, I was treated like I was at used car dealership when I put my trust in a health care professional. Please at all costs do not deal with these crooks.

sassafraa Mar 27, 2010

I have the worst dentures ever made by Apsen Dentures on Hudson drive in stow. they have hurt my gums all the time and the material they are made from I seem too be allergic too. They didi not tell me how much they would cost, they charged me a outright Price of $1, 800. I am 73 and had no insurance I paid for them out of my saveings account and I cant get my money back or can I stand too wear them.I am a widow 12 yrs. now.Now I have too wear my old ones from 1982. They still are comfotable made at Darrow rd in Stow except loose now.

the worst place you can go to get dental services

They made me a lower denture, that I woke up with after having my teeth removed on the 20th of September. The...

poor work!

My daughter just has two fillings (which we had to pay extra for- we did not want the black filling - they...

fraud / customer cheating!

For those thinking about this office... read this first. This company is only interested in the bottom line...

unsatisfactory work

My mother went to aspen dental in orange Connecticut, she went in they gave her a price of 1200.00 and they...

insurance fraud

I went to AspenDental, Woburn, MA for my routine cleaning for the first time on March 16, 2006. $47.80 was charged to my credit card for exam and x-rays and a treatment plan was laid out without any further discussion. I either walked away with what had paid and without teeth being cleaned or go along with their plan.

I didn't want to waste the $47.80 payment so I went the second time for teeth cleaning. On the first visit I told them I had two dental insurances, Cigna and Delta so patient's portion should be much less. They pretended they acknowledged that however they demanded the full payment and told me I'd get reimbursed once they received payments form both insurance companies.

Over half year treatments, I kept on paying the fees and never received a penny for reimbursement so I stopped going and started calling. It's been more than a year, with numerous phone calls and hours of waiting and conversion I got a bill for $132.40 instead. This morning I called again they said they made a mistake and would take a look later when they had a chance.

The total treatment charged by AspenDental was $471, insurance allowed amount was $341.60. I don't know what Cign , my primary dental insurance company had paid. However what I had paid, $167, and Delta, my secondary dental insurance had paid $311.60 had exceeded the insurance total allowed amount $341.60. In other words, AspenDental committed insurance fraud. Other than post the info here I am to write a complain letter to my DA office, and will cc AspenDental, Cigna and Dental.

• Lo
    Lou Alex Dec 16, 2007

Went to have old dentures replaced with new set. Upper set was fitted well but the lower set forget about it. I went back and forth for over three months and at the last visit the Dentist said that they don't have control over the technicians that make up the dentures. Poor excuse for not being able to get a good fitting dentures. I have been wearing dentures for 45 years and this place was like going to a fast food place. The dentist tried to talk me not getting inserts into my lower jaw but I declined. I am still waiting for a refund on my lower set because they would not take another impression. I think they should be investigated.

• Ka
    Kathy Jun 03, 2008

I feel that Iwas scammed by aspen dental. They signed me up with a health card and charged over $2, 000.00 on this card on my first visit. Has been over 6 months and I still do not have dentures. I was their at aspen dental over 4 weeks ago and the dentures I tryed on did not fit my mouth. Aspen dental had taken three impression of my mouth and these dentures I tryed on were way off did not fit my mouth. I need my money back. I am still paying for these dentures through this credit card they had set up to get their money at one lump sum on my first visit.

• Ad
    Adolphus Aug 17, 2010

I went to have work done on my mouth, and had some tooth s removed. they inserted me with immediate denture. and I have to wait 6 months. now they want to charge me $900.00 more.

• Lo
    Lorraine Whiate Nov 29, 2011

My previous dentures were a good fit; however they were about 20 years old and 2 teeth had broken off and I was tired of super gluing them back in. So, I went to aspen Dental. The new teeth cause me to bite my inner mouth flesh, don't lineup top and bottom and suction is not as good as my previous dentures. I also had to wait an hour for them to bring in my new dentures the day I was to pick them up. It would have been longer if I had not gone back out to the receptionist and complained. The doctor had to leave a patient to come address my issues. I would think twice about going back to Aspen.

• Ka
    Kathy Seitz Jul 02, 2013

Called Aspen Dental for my daughter-in-law today. She provided them with my insurance card. She called 3 times to see where the claim was because she kept receiving a bill from them, and they said they submitted the claim to her Insurance, 3 times. She finally paid out of pocket to get them off her back. I called my insurance company today and was told that a payment was made to Aspen Dental on Nov 30, 2012. I called and spoke with Will the (Extremely RUDE and UNKNOWLEDGEABLE office manager). He stated that they had never submitted the claim to her insurance, but would submit today. (later in the conversation he stated maybe they did sumbit something but he wasn't there at the time, and they go through a lot of staff so its hard to follow up) I can see why people don't stay there with rude, arrogant people like WIll. I asked him to call her insurance company, because they stated that they had sent Aspen Dental a check back in November 30th. His comment is "We don't call insurance companies. It's not our job!!!" WHAT???? This looks like Insurance Fraud to me. Just confirmed that they were paid and check was cashed by Aspen. Getting paid by and Insurance company and then harassing the client to pay and now they have full payment from both (double dipping, which is not legal). Next step complaint to Insurance Commissioner to report FRAUD.

• Fo