Menu

Ancestry review: automatic renewal

R
Author of the complaint
8:13 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am now on hold while a representative cancels the automatic renewal -- something I neither authorized or wanted -- of my six-month subscription. And apparently there is no way to have a subscription without this. This is a terrible policy -- a scam really. I have bought subscriptions occasionally in the past, but now I will rethink whether I ever want to use ancestry again. You should be ashamed. And now the customer "support" person has returned to tell me that due to some kind of problem in ythe ancsetry system, he cannot refund my money and that I should call back and go through this same process later today. Terrible policy. Terrible support.

2 comments
P
Jun 03, 2022 2:12 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was charged $99 thru Pay Pal for an automatic renewal, Ancestry. I had canceled but charged anyway. I filed a complaint against Ancestry thru Pay Pal, and my $99 was returned after Pay Pal determined I had a legitimate complaint.

B
Jan 24, 2019 5:34 am EST

They renewed my membership without telling me. Sent 3 emails and no response. I don’t have time to sit on hold. Horrible company. No customer service to speak of. I’m a member of 23 and me. No issues. One payment for life membership. Free genealogy sites and government sites have the same information plus more than ancestry. If you’re reading this before joining, don’t join. Trust me it’s a huge waste of money and you won’t have good customer service, if you have any at all.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

108 complaints