Complaints & Reviews

scam - both charges and info

I signed up for their service at $16.95 and was billed $155.00. I thought it was $16.95 total and only found out when the charge hit my account they bill for one year and it is non refundable. What make this worse is you cannot cancel the subsricption. How can a company bill you for an entire year but list the price as monthly? The data on their site is miniscule as far as my family tree is concerned and yet, our family history is documented. I was under the impression they had uploaded census and other public information. Nothing there at all. So, why would I pay them over $150 per year to post my family tree that I have worked hard to discover? They add nothing, give nothing, and charge an amount that to me is nothing more than a scam.

I want a refund for the 11 months I am not using them. Any way I can get my money back?
cecile.[protected]@sunnymore.com

• Li
    Lisa Duvall Jan 25, 2011

Refunds, Collections & Justice

Email: [email protected]
    Email me the details for proven results. I have the knowledge, experience and time.

Cecile Marie--
    Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. You should have read the fine print (yes, I know that no one does, so I don't blame you, but Ancestry.com has the legal advantage now). I found a site that you might find helpful explaining everything, however:

About the annual subscription charged at once: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/subscription-costs-explained/

One thing you need to be aware of as well is that your subscription is probably set to automatically renew next year. Please take action to get it cancelled so that it does not renew. There's a nifty tutorial about how to cancel here: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%e2%80%99re-good/

In the mean time, like I said, there's not much you can do. You can call in to Ancestry support, but you're likely too late to get a refund of any type. But since you have an account, you may as well use it! It appears you were having difficulties finding any records on the site (Ancestry.com actually has the most extensive online record database in the world), so check out these pages for help findnig records:

Information

Ancestry.com I just about quit looking at the website...the only info they have on my family appears to be what I have given them..and then these ###s want to charge me for it!! Today I got a hint notification on myself...like they know more than I do ...

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Unfortunately, sometimes even Ancestry.com's massive databases aren't helpful for some people. You may be one of them. As for the hints, they're not always that great (though again, for some people, they are).

Have you tried advanced search or the card catalog yet? See this site for unofficial tutorials:

overcharge

signed up for $19.95 one year deal and was billed on credit card for $29.94. please cancel and credit my credit card immediately. thank you

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

You need to call 1-800-Ancestry. That's their customer service line. If they really did erroneously overcharge you, they'll usually refund the amount (I'm not an employee of Ancestry.com, so don't quote me on that, but I've found that is often the case). If you don't want to deal with them and just want to avoid recurring charges, be sure to cancel. There's a tutorial at this site: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%e2%80%99re-good/

Unfortunately, simply cancelling isn't going to get you a refund in this case, so I recommend talking to customer service.

Billing

Good luck trying to get them to stop billing you. You have to call 1-800 and plead your case to a customer service rep. If you are lucky they will stop charging your credit card or billing you. The call has to be made at a certain time of day, day of the week, and a certain number of days before expiration of current billing period. The service itself is pretty good. It's just such a pain to cancel, worse than AOL, that I would not consider re-subscribing and cannot recommend the service. You should be able to cancel from the Web site.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Actually, you can cancel using the website. A lot of people don't know how (or they do it wrong), so this site made a video tutorial about how to do it. The key is getting a 7-digit cancellation number. If you do it correctly, this it's really pain-free.

Impossible cancellation of a registered guest

After several failed attempts to unsubscribe from all of Amncestry.com newsletters and emails, I complained to the Custeomer Service, asking them for help and asking contextually to cancel my account from all of their databases.

They answered me telling me that:

1) that I was placed in their "Do Not Contact List", which should mean that I shouldn't receive any new email from them

2) Surprisingly, they told me that for "Registered Guest accounts (...) there is not an established method to cancel these accounts. When you have concluded using your Registered Guest account, simply discontinue your use".

My complaints refer to:

A) I do still receive emails from them. Date of my complaint to Ancestry.com 02/16/2010, Date of their answer: 02/18/2010, date of the last Newsletter I received from them 03/02/2010 - which means AFTER being included in the "do not contact list".

B) I want to be cancelled from whatever ancestry.com database. I cannot believe that I am not able to cancel my profile, even if this is a free "Registered Guest Account". This shouldn't be possible in any Privacy policy.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Click My Account at the top of the screen, and update your email address to be something non-existant. I imagine this should fix your problem.

Another user had a similar complaint about the removal of personal information due to this policy. See my response at http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/ancestrycom-c417410.html for more details on that.

• Ut
    utka Jun 06, 2016

I tried to cancel my guest account but this is impossible. Very chip trick! Ancestry.com is chip, lying, low profile money sucking “company”. I tried to call but there is answering “too many calls”. Sure! The website doesn’t give any option to cancel account. There is no option at all. All they need to suck your money and no escape. I will do everything possible on all websites to tell about my experience.

money taken out of credit card

I tried to get my husbands birth certificate through Vital Check but they were asking me to get some paperwork notorized and fax things over to them. I decided to cancel the order, it said it was not complete if I didn't do the notorizing and faxing. The next day they took $12 out of my credit card for no reason. They are very deceitful! Can you imagine how many people they take $12 out of their account for no good reason?! -Laura

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

It's important to recognize that Ancestry.com has nothing to do with retrieving actual birth certificates. All they do is refer you to companies that can do it (Vital Check in your case?). If you have a problem with the service, complain about the company that's providing the service, not about the company that referred you to them.

In any case, did you know that you can get birth certificates directly from the government? Check with your state (or in my case, the county) where it was originally registered. You can get copies of certificates, and it's always cheaper than going through 3rd parties (though admittedly not as convenient if you happen to live on the opposite side of the country).

Recurring charges not clearly marked

After finding that when I signed up for a month of service, that the service continued to be billed monthly, I called and asked if the website clearly marks it as a recurring charge. I was told that there is an asterisk and you have to follow it to the bottom of the page to find out that information. We consumers need to let companies know that it is not acceptable to hide details from us! Recurring charges should be CLEARLY MARKED. Time flies during the holidays and I had not checked my credit card statements so I had not seen the recurring bill. They refunded me only the last month. Because I had paid for at least another month of service that I did not use because I did not know that I had it (thinking I had paid only for 1 month), I asked if they could give me a free month of service. They said they could not because they had given me a refund of the last month I had not used the service.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

So sorry that you missed that. Actually, there are a handful of places that it mentions recurring charges, but as you mentioned, they're pretty much all in the print. There's a site that explains differnt issues like this in more detail and explain how to avoid the problems that so many people face with Ancestry.com:

unauthorized charges

These people continuous charge your credit card without authorization after you join. I strongly suggest you do not join this site. It is not worth it. If anyone else used you credit card without your consent it would be FRAUD. They should be stopped!!!

Samuel Jan 31, 2009

The company may operate using several names. When purchasing certain copies of Family Tree they will offer a free three month to one year subscription of their service. You will be asked for a credit card in order to validate the 'free' service. Once they get your number they will then charge you in the future for subscription service. My charge was $163.17. I never received a notice and did not know about the charge until I received my credit card statement.

The company telephones are open a limited number of hours and even then after repeated calls I was always told there would be a 'nine minute wait'. The internet site they have will not let you delete the credit card number from their files. The site will also say that it is too late to cancel the subscription as more than 7 days have passed since the charge date.This is the second time in my life I have been ripped off like this. When will I learn?

In the other instance I filed a complaint with the FTC about a $29.95 charge that was made to my credit card on a 'continuing basis' without my knowledge. The FTC was able to recover $26.00 for me on that case. This company just has to have oen of the worst customer relations programs in existence. They are out to rip you off. Don't accept their 'free' services.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Actually, per the terms and conditions that you explicity agree to when you sign up, you actually do authorize them to keep charging your card. Of course, I agree that it is a little deceptive, but you can't call it fraud when you've given them legal permission.

I've found this site to be helpful. They endorse Ancestry.com, but they're not a part of it so you get Ancestry's fine print in layman's terms. They explain how to avoid most Ancestry.com complaints, and they explain how to completely cancel your account so you don't keep getting charged. http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/

scam

What an awful scam from a large US based company that preys on those interested in family history.
They offer a 14 day free trial. However they take your card details and then bill you if YOU dont cancel the free trila. The terms and conditions do say they will BUT who reads all the terms and conditions. That is what they work on-the assumption we dont read them. what a scam. They make MILLIONS $ and £'s in USA and UK and worldwide.
Anyone else ripped off by them?

• Ba
    Basil Whitfield Jan 31, 2010

paid special offer fee on *january 8 2010 money taken from my account but cannot access web site

• La
    laleswar singh Jan 31, 2010

i have received an sms on my mobile that no. is 9835221255. in this massage written that i had awarded one million pond from yahoo/msn contest held in london.

• Vi
    victoriana Oct 24, 2012

i agree with the last complaint ancestry .co. are pulling a scam .i used the site only once when i signed up for the so called free trial didnt realise they would bill me without letting me know first not until i received my credit card statement and found i had been charged quite are large sum as i am a senior citizen (you you would think i should know better but you trust people who are advertised on television and have such a big profile .
    i do hope no one else will be taken in by this firm as i was i have cancelled my subscription by phone tried to do it online but email address was not recognised

JOHN HALL Feb 06, 2017

Its time that an international police investigation was immediate because for 3 months AFTER i Cancelled my Account held for many years
    and still they are extracting a monthly premium.
    If I try and log in "BECAUSE I OBVIOUSLY HAVE AN ACCOUNT I am notified my E.Mail/Password is not recognised.
    So phoning the Dublin Office Southern Ireland I was informed I had an account according to their records and thats why they have extracting MY MONEY OUT OF MY BANK ACCOUNT.
    Strange how signing in on thev Ancestry Co Uk internet site I am advised that I do not have an account, yet today Leo in Dublin stated I do have an account showing and thats why they extract money monthly.
    So having E.Mailed and cancelled in December 2016 they decided to not cancel but illegally extract money each month.
    I will be pursuing the Chief Executive of Ancestry Co Uk and seek an immediate Police Authority investigation in Utah and Dublin

credit card fraud

I was not satisfied in the services (ancestry.com) after a few months, and cancelled the subscription (i have the cancellation). they have continued to charge my credit card each month (shame on me for not noticing) for $29.95.

I phoned them, and was 'blown off' (they would not escalate my call). They gave me an address to send my complaint to

I would not reccomend this company to anyone.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Did you get a 7-digit cancellation number? If you didn't, then you didn't finish the cancellation process. See this site for an (unofficial) tutorial on how to cancel: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%e2%80%99re-good/

Incompetent administration

Ancestry swiped 83 pounds out my account under the guise of a subscription fee ( card not present transaction ) I haven't logged onto the site for six months and I deleted my direct debit to them from Barclays bank terminal. Yet they reinstated it with Barclays help. Ancestry agreed to refund it in 5 working days. Two weeks later the money has still not turned up and Ancestry said it may not be there for another week because they are having "problem" with their new payment system. ANCESTRY NOT ONLY DOCUMENT THE PAST, THEY'RE LIVING IN IT. In this modern age bank transactions can be made in one day. If your systems are failing go to plan B. It could be done quickly they just don't care or feel any moral responsibility fix there mistakes quickly. My advise is DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO ANCESTRY.CO.UK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. They won't stop taking your money and they wont give it back.

• To
    tony arnold Feb 26, 2009

yes i had the same experience recently. Didn't read the small print and was taken for a ride.
    You take advantage of their 14 day offer and then lose interest and then find they are billing you and they cite the contractual terms that you nevere read! They must swindle millions worldwide. Am writing to my MP!

• Mi
    Michael Young Apr 01, 2009

Ancestry have told me they intend to renew my subscriptio if I don't cancel by the 8th April. I have gone into their website but there is no way one can cancel a subscription. They give you the steps to take but when you get into the website they are not there.
    I feel frustrated and find it difficult to believe they would do this but the proof is in the pudding. I don't trust them at all.
    Michael Young

JoanElsie Aug 21, 2009

I have paid a sub for a year and have had hours of fun researching my family tree. I have been able to make contact with distant family members and have found family all over the UK. It has been a real treat. I dread when my year is up as I do not know if I will be able to afford another year. By then I hope to have done all I need, have all the addresses where my family lived, Then I, from South Africa, a brother from Australia and a brother from London are all going to meet in London and explore where the family all lived and get an ide of how they lived in those days gone by.

Fraudulent charges

I was recently charged $155.40 by ancestry.com. Luckily I caught it before my bank authorized the charge and had it cancelled. This charge was made while no one able to access my account had access to computers. I was at work and my husband was caring for my sick child. I would never authorize an amount this large for something as silly as this.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Have you had an account with Ancestry.com in the past? If so, you should know that generally such subscriptions automatically renew (which is in the terms and conditions). See this site for an explanation: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/subscriptions-automatically-renew/

In any case, they somehow got your credit card, and they definitely didn't go out looking for it (the BBB sure wouldn't give them an A+ if this were the case: http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/genealogists/ancestrycom-in-provo-ut-2003190).

Since it obviously wasn't your intent to subscribe, I'm glad that you caught it in time. It's never fun to find a random $155 charge on your card!

Scam and fraud

There are many complaints regarding Ancestry.com and they are all valid as far as I am concerned. They...

Credit card fraud

This company is accessing accounts by stealing credit card numbers and billing unsuspecting individuals. I think complainants should file a class action lawsuit against this company or preferably individual lawsuits that drive these unscrupulous scoundrels out of business.

• Wh
    WH Aug 22, 2008

AFTER I CANCELED MY SUBSCRIPTION WITH ANCESTRY.COM A CHARGE FROM MFI/MYFAMILY/ANCESTRY DEBITED MY ACCOUNT. I DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE. AND I DON'T APPRECIATE THEIR ACTIONS.

annette lora Sep 22, 2008

they also are carching my accoount for something i did not ordered

Marketing Practices

Ancestry has made a business of selling peoples' family history back to them over the years. I have never liked their way of sucking researchers in with a little free information and then requiring payment for a subscription just when you think you are getting somewhere. Don't know how easy it is to use their 14 day "free trial" subscription and then get out of it but I would certainly never give them a credit card number to try out their trial offer. I have been able to get much better and quicker information over the last 30 years using Rootsweb mail lists and message boards. My latest complaint about Ancestry.com relates to their "free" installations in State Historical Societies. Here in Minnesota, you can do free searches in Ancestry.com databases at the History Center but cannot print out the results or save them to media. The screen does let you "share" your results by sending them to anyone via email. Since I wasn't about copy a lot of detailed census information by hand, I sent about 10 census page images to my own email address. The Ancestry.com screen showed that each one of the 10 was emailed successfully. When I got home, all 10 were in my email inbox. I was able to open the first four with no problem but when I tried to open the fifth, the Ancestry.com site said I couldn't see anymore unless I signed up for their 14 day "free trial." So all the time I spent at the History Center finding and sending the last six pages of information was lost. Ancestry.com should at least warn people after they send four emails to the same person or should not allow sending emails for History Center installations at all - just another example of their distasteful marketing tactics. It is interesting, but not surprising, that it is not easy to find anywhere on their site to make complaints.

GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Try sending an email using this form: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Just make sure that you label it a complaint and inform the reader that you want the complaint logged in their official complaint log (or whatever they may call it). Usually with companies like this, customer services reps can't do a lot, but they can send the complaint to someone else with more authority. Believe it or not, but some policies do get affected this way.

If you're interested in the free trial, just make sure you get it cancelled completely if you don't want it billed. There are unofficial tutorials on how to do this here: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/

• Ut
    utka Jun 06, 2016

Ancestry is FRAUD! Do not repeat my mistake, beware of this scam!

Credit card fraud!

I would like to complaint about MFI family ancestry. (aka ancestry.com) Just today, I found out that my credit card account have a pending transaction (on 2/5/2008) which I never made from MFI family ancestry. I have no idea how can they even come up with my credit card number to make the transaction. The amount of $109.95 is pending on my account. My account's credit had be deducted for the amount even it's temporary. The bank cannot do anything unless they cancel the transaction I cannot believe that they can just run the credit card without the verification and ruin people's life. This is really a bad company in business.

• Fr
    frustratedsmartwoman Feb 11, 2008

Anderson,

Like many internet sites, Ancestry.com has a free trial available. While the trial period is free, they generally ask for a credit card for verification and to begin billing you if you fail to cancel your account. There is nothing fraudulent about this and many, many, many other sites on the internet -as well as many other brick and mortar businesses - will begin billing after a trial period is expired. Be sure to always read the Signup pages carefully!

If you never gave them your credit card for a free trial then I would call your credit company because this is likely a case of theft. I don't think many large corporations are in the practice of randomly billing unknown credit cards and Ancestry.com seems to be fairly reputable. Someone may have stolen your credit # and billed it for themself!

• Be
    Beuce Jones Feb 20, 2008

Ancestry.com perperuates the worst in company mis conduct. They hide their continuous annual fees in the fine print; do not acknowledge legitimate cancellations of the charges; refuse to honestly discuss their misconduct; and in my latest confrontation, one of their representatives lied about making a refund.

When the disception was brought to their attention, the supervisor "excused the lie by stating that the representative did not have the authority to communicate the intended action nor make the refund. Indeed they never communciated any "mistake" and obviously continue to refuse refund the misappropriated charge and make no aplology for their action.

The representative even had the audacity to proclaim their unethical conduct is corporate policy.

These people are dangerous. Beware.

Anderson Cheung Dec 14, 2013

As I stated on my complain...I don't even know what this company is until I check my bank statement. How did I use my credit card for verification at their site in the first place???

Bogus company

BEWARE! MY FAMILY ANCESTRY in UTAH, USA (BOGUS COMPANY) Somehow someone attempted to use my VISA card number by manually inserting my card numbers. Whom ever did this failed, but VISA thankfully caught it, called me and blocked my card. Who are these thieves? What is this bogus company? Why doesn't the FBI look into this fraud? Apparently their telephone number is [protected].

Anonymous Sep 17, 2007

I also just got a call from my credit card issuing bank notifying me that "my family ancestry" has billed me 29$ and then immediately after that, another 119$. I am filing a fraud claim and hopefully they will lose their merchant accrediation soon, or face legal pressure.

• Th
    Thomas Mason Jr. Nov 02, 2007

My Family Ancestry fraudulently charged my credit card for nearly 110$. Fortunately my credit card company called me before it appeared on my credit card statement and are investigating the charge. My Family Ancestry has a website at www.ancestry.com. Their website and business should be shut down for fraud, plain and simple.

Jason Sep 11, 2008

The reason you see fraudulent charges to Ancestry sites is this:

Somebody has obtained your credit card information, and to use this information to the fullest they also need your mother's maiden name.

James A Jul 18, 2011

Ancestry.com charge after cancelation

Just received a statement from my husbands credit card company in which it shows a charge of £9.95 has been made to MFI Ancestry.

The only online ancestry company that I signed up to trial was Ancestry.com and this was cancelled before the end of the trial time (i.e.30th October) I received an e-mail from Ancestry.com confirming this has been cancelled and no charges would be made.

Who and where are MFI Ancestry.com and how can I contact them please.

margaret pottage
York
U.K

• Td
    TD Nov 17, 2006

After looking at all the other posts, I see that Tim Sullivan and the people of Ancestry.com make a ton of money sneaking our money out of our pockets. Every story sounds oddly familiar. As for me, I tried their free subscription in September 2004 and I cancelled in the appropriate time. In November 2004 I bought Family TreeMaker and installed it which gave me a free year “Trial” membership. In November 2005 I was charged 39.95 and 49.95 on my credit card with out my consent and apparently I did not catch the charges. Today, which is October 23, 2006, I received a telephone call asking if I wanted to renew my subscription. (yes, the subscription I didn’t realize I had). I was told I bought the subscription online but when I pressed for a receipt or something to show I actually did this I was told I signed up in November 2004 for a free year trial and so in November 2005 they automatically charged my card. I am appalled they are able to continue to do this over and over. They should at the very least have to notify the customer that they are charging them.

• Sh
    sharon scholes Jan 07, 2007

MFI Ancestry have taken £69.50 out of my bank and incurred charges can anyone help me as i don't know how to contact them to retrieve money.

J. Allen Jan 19, 2007

My 90 year old father just discovered a $119.90 charge on his checking account. After doing some research, I found the charge was made by MFI Ancestry. He doesn't remember ever signing up for anything with MFI. My first question is how did they get his checking account number?

After searching the web, I discovered numerous complaints regarding MFI's billing practices. I agree with another complaint that MFI is nothing more than a shark trying to separate people from their money! What's worse is that trying to get this charge taken off my father's account is becoming darn near impossible.

Something needs to be done about this company. Anyone else have charges from MFI that they know nothing about?

• Br
    brett stephens Oct 20, 2007

steeling money from my credit card do not know who they even are

• Ph
    Phyllis Yarter Jul 11, 2008

Is this one of the virus's that will ruin your computer?

Marco Antonio - Brazil Sep 14, 2008

Ancestry.com continue to create problems! I had just tryed to cancel my FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION and the Ancestry.com Cancelation Page have a permanent ERROR (https://secure.ancestry.com/myaccount/cancelerror.aspx)!

Who can solve this OLD problem?

Credit card fraud!

I have a complaint about MFI family ancestry. (Aka ancestry.com) The funny thing is I have NEVER heard of...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices