Having problems with Ancestry?

Ancestry reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 8, 2006. The latest review Ancestry was posted on Mar 1, 2021. The latest complaint Charging credit card after cancellation was resolved on Dec 07, 2014. Ancestry has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 85 reviews. Ancestry has resolved 17 complaints.

Ancestry Customer Service Contacts

Ancestry Complaints & Reviews

Ancestry.comMarketing Practices

Ancestry has made a business of selling peoples' family history back to them over the years. I have never liked their way of sucking researchers in with a little free information and then requiring payment for a subscription just when you think you are getting somewhere. Don't know how easy it is to use their 14 day "free trial" subscription and then get out of it but I would certainly never give them a credit card number to try out their trial offer. I have been able to get much better and quicker information over the last 30 years using Rootsweb mail lists and message boards. My latest complaint about Ancestry.com relates to their "free" installations in State Historical Societies. Here in Minnesota, you can do free searches in Ancestry.com databases at the History Center but cannot print out the results or save them to media. The screen does let you "share" your results by sending them to anyone via email. Since I wasn't about copy a lot of detailed census information by hand, I sent about 10 census page images to my own email address. The Ancestry.com screen showed that each one of the 10 was emailed successfully. When I got home, all 10 were in my email inbox. I was able to open the first four with no problem but when I tried to open the fifth, the Ancestry.com site said I couldn't see anymore unless I signed up for their 14 day "free trial." So all the time I spent at the History Center finding and sending the last six pages of information was lost. Ancestry.com should at least warn people after they send four emails to the same person or should not allow sending emails for History Center installations at all - just another example of their distasteful marketing tactics. It is interesting, but not surprising, that it is not easy to find anywhere on their site to make complaints.

• Ut
      utka Jun 06, 2016

Ancestry is FRAUD! Do not repeat my mistake, beware of this scam!

• Ge
      GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Try sending an email using this form: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Just make sure that you label it a complaint and inform the reader that you want the complaint logged in their official complaint log (or whatever they may call it). Usually with companies like this, customer services reps can't do a lot, but they can send the complaint to someone else with more authority. Believe it or not, but some policies do get affected this way.

If you're interested in the free trial, just make sure you get it cancelled completely if you don't want it billed. There are unofficial tutorials on how to do this here: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/

Mfi Family AncestryCredit card fraud!

I would like to complaint about MFI family ancestry. (aka ancestry.com) Just today, I found out that my credit card account have a pending transaction (on 2/5/2008) which I never made from MFI family ancestry. I have no idea how can they even come up with my credit card number to make the transaction. The amount of $109.95 is pending on my account. My account's credit had be deducted for the amount even it's temporary. The bank cannot do anything unless they cancel the transaction I cannot believe that they can just run the credit card without the verification and ruin people's life. This is really a bad company in business.

Anderson Cheung Dec 14, 2013

As I stated on my complain...I don't even know what this company is until I check my bank statement. How did I use my credit card for verification at their site in the first place???

• Be
        Beuce Jones Feb 20, 2008

Ancestry.com perperuates the worst in company mis conduct. They hide their continuous annual fees in the fine print; do not acknowledge legitimate cancellations of the charges; refuse to honestly discuss their misconduct; and in my latest confrontation, one of their representatives lied about making a refund.

When the disception was brought to their attention, the supervisor "excused the lie by stating that the representative did not have the authority to communicate the intended action nor make the refund. Indeed they never communciated any "mistake" and obviously continue to refuse refund the misappropriated charge and make no aplology for their action.

The representative even had the audacity to proclaim their unethical conduct is corporate policy.

These people are dangerous. Beware.

• Fr
        frustratedsmartwoman Feb 11, 2008

Anderson,

Like many internet sites, Ancestry.com has a free trial available. While the trial period is free, they generally ask for a credit card for verification and to begin billing you if you fail to cancel your account. There is nothing fraudulent about this and many, many, many other sites on the internet -as well as many other brick and mortar businesses - will begin billing after a trial period is expired. Be sure to always read the Signup pages carefully!

If you never gave them your credit card for a free trial then I would call your credit company because this is likely a case of theft. I don't think many large corporations are in the practice of randomly billing unknown credit cards and Ancestry.com seems to be fairly reputable. Someone may have stolen your credit # and billed it for themself!

My Family Ancestry - UtahBogus company

BEWARE! MY FAMILY ANCESTRY in UTAH, USA (BOGUS COMPANY) Somehow someone attempted to use my VISA card number by manually inserting my card numbers. Whom ever did this failed, but VISA thankfully caught it, called me and blocked my card. Who are these thieves? What is this bogus company? Why doesn't the FBI look into this fraud? Apparently their telephone number is [protected].

James A Jul 18, 2011

Jason Sep 11, 2008

The reason you see fraudulent charges to Ancestry sites is this:

Somebody has obtained your credit card information, and to use this information to the fullest they also need your mother's maiden name.

• Th
          Thomas Mason Jr. Nov 02, 2007

My Family Ancestry fraudulently charged my credit card for nearly 110$. Fortunately my credit card company called me before it appeared on my credit card statement and are investigating the charge. My Family Ancestry has a website at www.ancestry.com. Their website and business should be shut down for fraud, plain and simple.

Anonymous Sep 17, 2007

I also just got a call from my credit card issuing bank notifying me that "my family ancestry" has billed me 29$ and then immediately after that, another 119$. I am filing a fraud claim and hopefully they will lose their merchant accrediation soon, or face legal pressure.

Mfi AncestryAncestry.com charge after cancelation

Just received a statement from my husbands credit card company in which it shows a charge of £9.95 has been made to MFI Ancestry.

The only online ancestry company that I signed up to trial was Ancestry.com and this was cancelled before the end of the trial time (i.e.30th October) I received an e-mail from Ancestry.com confirming this has been cancelled and no charges would be made.

Who and where are MFI Ancestry.com and how can I contact them please.

margaret pottage
        York
        U.K

Marco Antonio - Brazil Sep 14, 2008

Ancestry.com continue to create problems! I had just tryed to cancel my FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION and the Ancestry.com Cancelation Page have a permanent ERROR (https://secure.ancestry.com/myaccount/cancelerror.aspx)!

Who can solve this OLD problem?

• Ph
            Phyllis Yarter Jul 11, 2008

Is this one of the virus's that will ruin your computer?

• Br
            brett stephens Oct 20, 2007

steeling money from my credit card do not know who they even are

J. Allen Jan 19, 2007

My 90 year old father just discovered a $119.90 charge on his checking account. After doing some research, I found the charge was made by MFI Ancestry. He doesn't remember ever signing up for anything with MFI. My first question is how did they get his checking account number?

After searching the web, I discovered numerous complaints regarding MFI's billing practices. I agree with another complaint that MFI is nothing more than a shark trying to separate people from their money! What's worse is that trying to get this charge taken off my father's account is becoming darn near impossible.

Something needs to be done about this company. Anyone else have charges from MFI that they know nothing about?

• Sh
            sharon scholes Jan 07, 2007

MFI Ancestry have taken £69.50 out of my bank and incurred charges can anyone help me as i don't know how to contact them to retrieve money.

• Td
            TD Nov 17, 2006

After looking at all the other posts, I see that Tim Sullivan and the people of Ancestry.com make a ton of money sneaking our money out of our pockets. Every story sounds oddly familiar. As for me, I tried their free subscription in September 2004 and I cancelled in the appropriate time. In November 2004 I bought Family TreeMaker and installed it which gave me a free year “Trial” membership. In November 2005 I was charged 39.95 and 49.95 on my credit card with out my consent and apparently I did not catch the charges. Today, which is October 23, 2006, I received a telephone call asking if I wanted to renew my subscription. (yes, the subscription I didn’t realize I had). I was told I bought the subscription online but when I pressed for a receipt or something to show I actually did this I was told I signed up in November 2004 for a free year trial and so in November 2005 they automatically charged my card. I am appalled they are able to continue to do this over and over. They should at the very least have to notify the customer that they are charging them.

Mfi Family Ancestry / Ancestry.com — Credit card fraud!

I have a complaint about MFI family ancestry. (Aka ancestry.com) The funny thing is I have NEVER heard of...