Menu
Ancestry
reviews & complaints

Ancestry
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

108 complaints
17 resolved 91 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Ancestry. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
12:03 am EDT

Ancestry - expensive trail

I didnt read the fine print. Please, read the fine print. I just got charged $80 for a $12.95/mo trial deal - they charge you all at once. You can't get a refund because they say you need to cancel within 7 days - which is one week into the 2 week 'free' trial. Yeah, they saw me coming. Important: YOU MUST CALL TO CANCEL, otherwise they will still bill you later too. I thought i had cancelled but called to confirm, and sure enough had not.

The company made no effort to 'remind' me to cancel my subscription, which leads me to belive they are hoping you forget. I bounced a check because of this charge. Stupid me. Please dont fall for this too.

K
3:17 am EDT

Ancestry - Did not cancel subscription

I am disappointed with ancestry.com because I wanted to cancel and when I went through the process on my account I ticked all the boxes and checked and submitted the cancellation. But it was not canceled. When I phoned today and explained the issue I was told I must have missed checking a box. I would not recommend ancestry dot com to my worst enemy. I consider in my experience that they provide totally poor service.

Sep 03, 2011 2:45 pm EDT

Poor service... well, yes... the cancellation process is a bit confusing. It's way too easy to think that you've cancelled when you really haven't. The sure-fire way to know whether you have is if you have a cancellation number -- I bet that asked if you had one, right? Of course, it's a great system as long as you know how to cancel correctly, such as is explained in this video: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%E2%80%99re-good/

4:59 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Ancestry.com has set out to scam the consumer. They offer you two weeks free. But, you must first give them your credit card and buy one month before you can try them out. When you find that they offer you nothing for your money. they will not refund you you the first month that you have paid for. Your two weeks free IS NOT FREE. After you have quit them...

5:31 pm EDT

Ancestry - Stay away

I logged a support request to Ancestry.ca back on February 2nd when I had trouble importing an old FTM file into FTM2011. I just got a response today February 11th! I have resolved the issue on my own but am very upset at their lack of customer service. Totally unacceptable.

A
11:21 am EDT

Ancestry - I did not request their services yet they charged me

Ancestry.com charged my credit card number for a service that I did not request or even received. I have never heard of Ancestry.com (MFI Family Ancestry) until the charge showed up on my bank account. Now I have seen many complaints about them. They took $ 109.00 from me. I want to know who and how they got my banking info?

I did do some searching and found multiple reports of credit card fraud involving Ancestry.com (MFI Family Ancestry). How are these people allowed to remain in business?

O
May 05, 2014 8:46 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had the same thing happen to me and when I contacted Ancestry.com I was told that they couldn't do anything about my card being compromised and would not refund my money.

Sep 03, 2011 4:00 pm EDT

I do not know who MFI Family Ancestry is... I was not aware of Ancestry.com using this name. They have switched names in years past, but they've not used that one that I'm aware of. It sounds like it might be a company other than Ancestry.com.

In any case, if it is Ancestry.com then you should be able to call in and cancel for a refund. The only way that they could have gotten your credit card information is if someone put it in... so perhaps your card has been compromised and is being used by someone else. Ancestry.com is pretty good about returning money if it was due to fraud. Of course, the most important thing is to contact your card company and have them cancel your card if it has been compromised. They can also start a chargeback process for any charges you did not initiate. They also might be able to give more information about the company who charged that (whether it is Ancestry.com or another company).

Y
9:27 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Ancestry - very poor customer service

'DNA provides deep ancestry and often relationship with others. It will not tell you who your father is" says ancestry.com:::...DUH...
I think ill go with a LESS INSENSITIVE company that answers your questions correctly and doesn't respond as if you are an idiot. I ASKED WHAT WILL IT TELL ME NOT WHAT IT WILL NOT TELL ME ..this is what I wrote back to the jerks at Ancestry.com. I wrote to this company to get an idea what a DNA test will tell me with no mothers or fathers DNA present . As bad as it is that I do not know who my father is for them to incorrectly answer my original question and write back in this way infuriated me. Thank goodness I didn't fork over my cc number for their free trial. I didn't bother to read their response either. They messed up in my book.

Dec 07, 2012 12:42 pm EST

Email to Ancestry. com: So you believe that we, the general public, aren't smart enough to figure out the implications of Y-DNA and mtDNA, so you drop this part of the testing and satisfy the masses with grouping genealogist with hobbyist. And by the way, if you plan to eliminated Y-DNA and the mtDNA aspect of testing, clean up the website and help files so you aren't misleading your costumers with bits of information that don't exist. I did send in a test and thought there was something wrong when I saw what seemed to be an incomplete test result. I called service and I was told that that was it. I thought it was strange for a company into real genealogy to expand a service not subtract from it.
Response: (Sort of) Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Ancestry.com regarding your feedback on the new autosomal DNA test.

We apologize for any frustration this issue may have caused and appreciate your feedback. We have forwarded your message on to our feedback department.

For information regarding additional methods of submitting feedback, please visit the following URL:
If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reply to this message or contact us by phone at 1-800-ANCESTRY [protected]) from 10am to 10pm EST, Monday through Sunday. To date there was no response be the feedback department.

Sep 03, 2011 4:04 pm EDT

Yep. That was a rather poor way to handle your question. It drives me crazy when customer service reps don't actually answer my questions as well.

I'm not an expert with DNA, but I happen to know a geneticist whom I asked about things like this. If I remember correctly, DNA can be traced through a male line (your father, his father, his father, etc.) or through a female line (your mother, her mother, her mother, etc.). Ultimately, you'll find out countries where your ancestors came from (sometimes actual regions as well). But it's only going to be able to follow two branches of your tree, so it doesn't really give a whole picture. For some people, the DNA test is really helpful. But for others it's a complete waste of time.

O
8:49 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Ancestry.com refuses to remove my account and personal information from their website (after a relative kindly created the account for me). After requesting that they delete my account, here is the response: "... as the Registered Guest accounts are designed to give unlimited access to our free services, there is not an established method to cancel these...

4:57 pm EST

Ancestry - the truth about ancestry.com

the truth is that they make you think that your related to the person that you see on the other screen. but, really, your not.

Feb 25, 2011 6:19 pm EST

It's important to recognize that there are errors in genealogy records. Ancestry.com is a great way to connect with records, but you MUST verify the information. See this site for an explanation: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/the-site/not-all-records-military-census-etc-are-always-correct/

S
4:31 pm EST

Ancestry - Ancestry.com has fabulous data, but the web interface is terrible and the customer service is non-existent

Ancestry.com has fabulous data, but the web interface is terrible and the customer service is non-existent. Firefox is totally incompatible, despite their claims to the contrary, and no one ever answers an email, ever. Their customer service hours are geared towards people on the east coast, and even they had better not have a day job if they want any technical support. It is impossible to get through on a Saturday, so forget that. I hear lots of rumors that it is impossible to cancel, too, and that better not be true, because that is just what I am about to do.

6 comments
Feb 03, 2013 1:41 am EST

Old complaint, same problem. Why are all subscriptions set as default to auto-renewal when I (the customer) should be able to choose “auto-expire”? Ancestry.com certainly make it easy to set this OFF at the start. Worse is that you default to a 6 month renewal. What an arrogant assumption. What if I don’t like your service that much? Or what if you only want 1 or 2 months subscription.

This is a dishonest business model. You can hide behind your TC’s all you like but that has lost you a customer and hopefully 99 more as the saying goes. I really don’t want to have any more to do with your service, and I will discourage my friends and family from going anywhere near Ancestry.com, T Jones, Australia

Sep 03, 2011 2:49 pm EDT

Keith is right. You must have a cancellation number to be sure you cancelled. Otherwise... well, they'll charge you again. Calling and having Ancestry.com's service team provide you with the number is one way and definitely a safe way. But as long as you get the cancellation number, the web process is okay too... but you MUST keep going through the process until you get it. If you're not sure whether you got it, it's always best to phone customer service to double-check.

K
Aug 27, 2011 3:11 am EDT

I completed the on line cancellation forms and the last one was a reason for cancellation. Then it wasn't cancelled. I recommend that you phone and CANCEL and get a receipt number. I was cancelling for a month or so whilst I was between jobs but now after this experience I will not rejoin or renew my subscription. Keith Burge, AUSTRALIA

Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm EST

Easier to join than to cancel... I agree on that one. And I agree that it really shouldn't be that way.

As for the 800 number, I'm sorry you had difficulties getting through. Are they busy? Yes, they definitely are. It's a big company. Some times are busier than others, of course.

I personally prefer just canceling on the website anyways. It's easier and less of a hassle, in my opinion.

I know that some people don't have a good experience, but I've used it for a while and I love it. And I believe that if people know what they're getting into and how to work the system correctly (hence my links to that unofficial website www.familytreeshortcuts.com above), then anyone with a good disposition and a desire to really get into genealogy can have a positive experience.

Anyways, I hope that since you didn't have a good experience, you were able to cancel correctly and therefore don't have to worry about it anymore.

Feb 27, 2011 12:04 am EST

Their number is 1-800-Ancestry. It's at the bottom of all of their pages where it says "Contact Us: 1-800-Ancestry." Of course, there's an argument to be made as to whether they should place it at the top so that people don't miss it. If you take a few moments to look for things, you can usually find them. But if you're the impatient type, genealogy research probably isn't your thing anyways.

As for the cancellation process, I suspect that a majority of users don't have a problem. Still, when you're as big as Ancestry.com is, a small portion is still a LOT of customers. I agree that the cancellation process should be easier.

Just my thoughts...

Feb 25, 2011 6:12 pm EST

Sootane,
Fabulous data, yes. Problems with the interface, yes. But I have seen them make numerous changes (for the better) in just the last year. And I'm sorry you have problems with Firefox... though for me, I find that Ancestry.com runs much better on my Firefox browser than IE.

Since they are so huge, their customer service does get slammed from time to time. And you're right, their hours aren't very convenient for people who need to contact them in the evening . Don't ever reply to the automated emails because they're all "noreply" emails (read the fine print). Use this form instead: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php.

You can also use the help articles (see http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/the-site/help-navigating-the-website/ for details on how to access and use them).

Oh, and while there are a lot of complaints about cancelling, it's actually a breeze if you actually follow through with all of the steps. See a video tutorial on how to (completely) cancel here: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%e2%80%99re-good/

5:40 pm EST

Ancestry - scam - both charges and info

I signed up for their service at $16.95 and was billed $155.00. I thought it was $16.95 total and only found out when the charge hit my account they bill for one year and it is non refundable. What make this worse is you cannot cancel the subsricption. How can a company bill you for an entire year but list the price as monthly? The data on their site is miniscule as far as my family tree is concerned and yet, our family history is documented. I was under the impression they had uploaded census and other public information. Nothing there at all. So, why would I pay them over $150 per year to post my family tree that I have worked hard to discover? They add nothing, give nothing, and charge an amount that to me is nothing more than a scam.

I want a refund for the 11 months I am not using them. Any way I can get my money back?
cecile.[protected]@sunnymore.com

Feb 25, 2011 6:04 pm EST

Cecile Marie--
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. You should have read the fine print (yes, I know that no one does, so I don't blame you, but Ancestry.com has the legal advantage now). I found a site that you might find helpful explaining everything, however:

About the annual subscription charged at once: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/subscription-costs-explained/

One thing you need to be aware of as well is that your subscription is probably set to automatically renew next year. Please take action to get it cancelled so that it does not renew. There's a nifty tutorial about how to cancel here: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%e2%80%99re-good/

In the mean time, like I said, there's not much you can do. You can call in to Ancestry support, but you're likely too late to get a refund of any type. But since you have an account, you may as well use it! It appears you were having difficulties finding any records on the site (Ancestry.com actually has the most extensive online record database in the world), so check out these pages for help findnig records:

Jan 25, 2011 1:03 am EST

Refunds, Collections & Justice

Email: lisaduvall@att.net
Email me the details for proven results. I have the knowledge, experience and time.

2:52 am EST

Ancestry - Information

Ancestry.com I just about quit looking at the website...the only info they have on my family appears to be what I have given them..and then these ###s want to charge me for it! Today I got a hint notification on myself...like they know more than I do ...

Feb 25, 2011 7:19 pm EST

Unfortunately, sometimes even Ancestry.com's massive databases aren't helpful for some people. You may be one of them. As for the hints, they're not always that great (though again, for some people, they are).

Have you tried advanced search or the card catalog yet? See this site for unofficial tutorials:

Ancestry - overcharge

signed up for $19.95 one year deal and was billed on credit card for $29.94. please cancel and credit my credit card immediately. thank you

Feb 25, 2011 8:00 pm EST

You need to call 1-800-Ancestry. That's their customer service line. If they really did erroneously overcharge you, they'll usually refund the amount (I'm not an employee of Ancestry.com, so don't quote me on that, but I've found that is often the case). If you don't want to deal with them and just want to avoid recurring charges, be sure to cancel. There's a tutorial at this site: http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/scam-exposed-here-cancel-and-you%e2%80%99re-good/

Unfortunately, simply cancelling isn't going to get you a refund in this case, so I recommend talking to customer service.

R
8:39 pm EDT

Ancestry - Billing

Good luck trying to get them to stop billing you. You have to call 1-800 and plead your case to a customer service rep. If you are lucky they will stop charging your credit card or billing you. The call has to be made at a certain time of day, day of the week, and a certain number of days before expiration of current billing period. The service itself is pretty good. It's just such a pain to cancel, worse than AOL, that I would not consider re-subscribing and cannot recommend the service. You should be able to cancel from the Web site.

Feb 25, 2011 7:50 pm EST

Actually, you can cancel using the website. A lot of people don't know how (or they do it wrong), so this site made a video tutorial about how to do it. The key is getting a 7-digit cancellation number. If you do it correctly, this it's really pain-free.

R
5:49 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

After several failed attempts to unsubscribe from all of Amncestry.com newsletters and emails, I complained to the Custeomer Service, asking them for help and asking contextually to cancel my account from all of their databases. They answered me telling me that: 1) that I was placed in their "Do Not Contact List", which should mean that I shouldn't...

5:37 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Ancestry - money taken out of credit card

I tried to get my husbands birth certificate through Vital Check but they were asking me to get some paperwork notorized and fax things over to them. I decided to cancel the order, it said it was not complete if I didn't do the notorizing and faxing. The next day they took $12 out of my credit card for no reason. They are very deceitful! Can you imagine how many people they take $12 out of their account for no good reason?! -Laura

Feb 25, 2011 7:54 pm EST

It's important to recognize that Ancestry.com has nothing to do with retrieving actual birth certificates. All they do is refer you to companies that can do it (Vital Check in your case?). If you have a problem with the service, complain about the company that's providing the service, not about the company that referred you to them.

In any case, did you know that you can get birth certificates directly from the government? Check with your state (or in my case, the county) where it was originally registered. You can get copies of certificates, and it's always cheaper than going through 3rd parties (though admittedly not as convenient if you happen to live on the opposite side of the country).

6:37 am EST

Ancestry - Recurring charges not clearly marked

After finding that when I signed up for a month of service, that the service continued to be billed monthly, I called and asked if the website clearly marks it as a recurring charge. I was told that there is an asterisk and you have to follow it to the bottom of the page to find out that information. We consumers need to let companies know that it is not acceptable to hide details from us! Recurring charges should be CLEARLY MARKED. Time flies during the holidays and I had not checked my credit card statements so I had not seen the recurring bill. They refunded me only the last month. Because I had paid for at least another month of service that I did not use because I did not know that I had it (thinking I had paid only for 1 month), I asked if they could give me a free month of service. They said they could not because they had given me a refund of the last month I had not used the service.

Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm EST

So sorry that you missed that. Actually, there are a handful of places that it mentions recurring charges, but as you mentioned, they're pretty much all in the print. There's a site that explains differnt issues like this in more detail and explain how to avoid the problems that so many people face with Ancestry.com:

W
8:32 pm EDT

Ancestry - unauthorized charges

These people continuous charge your credit card without authorization after you join. I strongly suggest you do not join this site. It is not worth it. If anyone else used you credit card without your consent it would be FRAUD. They should be stopped!

S
Jan 31, 2009 11:42 am EST

The company may operate using several names. When purchasing certain copies of Family Tree they will offer a free three month to one year subscription of their service. You will be asked for a credit card in order to validate the 'free' service. Once they get your number they will then charge you in the future for subscription service. My charge was $163.17. I never received a notice and did not know about the charge until I received my credit card statement.

The company telephones are open a limited number of hours and even then after repeated calls I was always told there would be a 'nine minute wait'. The internet site they have will not let you delete the credit card number from their files. The site will also say that it is too late to cancel the subscription as more than 7 days have passed since the charge date.This is the second time in my life I have been ripped off like this. When will I learn?

In the other instance I filed a complaint with the FTC about a $29.95 charge that was made to my credit card on a 'continuing basis' without my knowledge. The FTC was able to recover $26.00 for me on that case. This company just has to have oen of the worst customer relations programs in existence. They are out to rip you off. Don't accept their 'free' services.

Feb 25, 2011 6:35 pm EST

Actually, per the terms and conditions that you explicity agree to when you sign up, you actually do authorize them to keep charging your card. Of course, I agree that it is a little deceptive, but you can't call it fraud when you've given them legal permission.

I've found this site to be helpful. They endorse Ancestry.com, but they're not a part of it so you get Ancestry's fine print in layman's terms. They explain how to avoid most Ancestry.com complaints, and they explain how to completely cancel your account so you don't keep getting charged. http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/

2:03 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

What an awful scam from a large US based company that preys on those interested in family history. They offer a 14 day free trial. However they take your card details and then bill you if YOU dont cancel the free trila. The terms and conditions do say they will BUT who reads all the terms and conditions. That is what they work on-the assumption we dont read...

D
3:31 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was not satisfied in the services (ancestry.com) after a few months, and cancelled the subscription (i have the cancellation). they have continued to charge my credit card each month (shame on me for not noticing) for $29.95. I phoned them, and was 'blown off' (they would not escalate my call). They gave me an address to send my complaint to I would not reccomend this company to anyone.

8:29 am EST

Ancestry - Incompetent administration

Ancestry swiped 83 pounds out my account under the guise of a subscription fee ( card not present transaction ) I haven't logged onto the site for six months and I deleted my direct debit to them from Barclays bank terminal. Yet they reinstated it with Barclays help. Ancestry agreed to refund it in 5 working days. Two weeks later the money has still not turned up and Ancestry said it may not be there for another week because they are having "problem" with their new payment system. ANCESTRY NOT ONLY DOCUMENT THE PAST, THEY'RE LIVING IN IT. In this modern age bank transactions can be made in one day. If your systems are failing go to plan B. It could be done quickly they just don't care or feel any moral responsibility fix there mistakes quickly. My advise is DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO ANCESTRY.CO.UK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. They won't stop taking your money and they wont give it back.

3 comments
Aug 21, 2009 1:50 pm EDT

I have paid a sub for a year and have had hours of fun researching my family tree. I have been able to make contact with distant family members and have found family all over the UK. It has been a real treat. I dread when my year is up as I do not know if I will be able to afford another year. By then I hope to have done all I need, have all the addresses where my family lived, Then I, from South Africa, a brother from Australia and a brother from London are all going to meet in London and explore where the family all lived and get an ide of how they lived in those days gone by.

M
Apr 01, 2009 6:44 am EDT

Ancestry have told me they intend to renew my subscriptio if I don't cancel by the 8th April. I have gone into their website but there is no way one can cancel a subscription. They give you the steps to take but when you get into the website they are not there.
I feel frustrated and find it difficult to believe they would do this but the proof is in the pudding. I don't trust them at all.
Michael Young

Feb 26, 2009 3:28 am EST

yes i had the same experience recently. Didn't read the small print and was taken for a ride.
You take advantage of their 14 day offer and then lose interest and then find they are billing you and they cite the contractual terms that you nevere read! They must swindle millions worldwide. Am writing to my MP!

Ancestry contacts