Complaints & Reviews

packing of shipments

I have filed two separate complaints (within last 9 months)with Amazon regarding poor packing practices when shipping electronics and other sensitive or breakable items.
The first complaint was done through the standard customer service line while the last was done with a direct phone call and email to Amazon corporate offices.

I began 7 years ago using Amazon consistently for on-line ordering and was very pleased with expediency of order fulfillment, customer service with a misinformation of a product through one of the store fronts and concern regarding gear that came in in a damage box. Overall packaging quality at that time was good and with ordering photography equipment packing was, in my opinion, a natural concern.

Beginning at the end of 2007 when ordering Christmas gifts, I noticed a significant deterioration with packaging and initially allowed benefit of the doubt due to Christmas season. However my next order and subsequent orders came in with minimal to no packing and damaged cartons.

When calling customer service and also corresponding with corporate office, I was advised in each situation issues would be passed to fulfillment. My call to corporate headquarters spurred by my having started a company, placed and order and the box arriving damaged. I refused the package, called customer service and had issues there in having the order replaced. I than contacted Amazon corporate headquarters offering a dollar volume of business I had done, explaining the nature of my business and addressing concerns regarding packaging.

Ultimately, it was inferred I should not refuse orders (anyone using Amazon is most likely familiar with their process of take in a package and than call customer service with issues) and the packing concerns I had would be passed to fulfillment.

Today there is a discussion with the photography/canon (Amazon tags) that has been addressing this issue ongoing. Personally, I have closed my corporate account and have scoured the web searching for other on-line services from which to make purchase while using Amazon as a price comparison base, individual reviews of various items and looking at photographs for specific lenses I am considering buying.

Overall, I would like to continue purchasing from Amazon but can not given the apparent lack of response to mine and other complaints that while possibly passed to fulfillment, have not been responded to in noticeable manner, meaning better quality packing.

• Tl
    Tlpham Mar 25, 2011

I ordered the Nutiva coconut oil, 54oz. container (pack of 2) -it arrived today in a large box with another order of 2 Nutiva coconut oil 15oz. (pack of 2) . The (2) 15oz. was in perfect condition (its own box) . The 54oz. leaked all over its own box and I checked the lid it was sealed BUT a white film was all over the foil cover it. Very, Very dissapointed because I ordered from Vita Cost last month (the 54oz.) and it arrived perfect .

unauthorized charges

I made an order trough Amazon.com (a book) when I realized that I wasn't buying from Amazon books. I wa...

violation of published rules

A buyer, using someone else's account, purchased a Battery Grip for a Canon EOS 30D that I had for sale. Despite paying standard shipping, I sent it Priority.

The buyer, whose name I STILL do not know, apparently allowed the item to sit at the address of record for 3 weeks before opening the box. She CLAIMS that I sent the wrong item, so she wrote me asking for a refund. I pointed out that Amazon rules required her to contact me within 14 days of receipt of the item (and I have USPS delivery confirmation of when it was delivered).

Despite this rule violation, I offered her a FULL refund, except that she had to pay for the return S/H, which is another Amazon rule. She flipped out and demanded that I pay for everything! So, she refused the refund and filed a complaint with Amazon.

I find this to be an violation of the Terms of Use by Amazon.com. The buyer has allowed the item to sit somewhere for 3 weeks before looking at it; that's HER fault, not mine. Because she failed to contact me within 14 days of delivery, and refused to accept a refund, I don't see how they allowed her to file a claim! It's clear she has not abided by the Terms of Use, and thus the claim should not have been allowed.

Finally, the claim is still pending, despite the fact that more than 30 days have passed since delivery. ANOTHER Amazon.com rule requires the return of the item within 30 days to get a refund. This has not been done by the Buyer, her THIRD rule violation.

Given the large number of rules violations, I will not refund this woman's money, regardless of what Amazon.com decides in their Claim hearing.

Because of the Claim, Amazon.com has FROZEN my Payments Account, and may keep it frozen for up to 45 days!! I thought PayPal was the only company to perform such reprehensible acts, but it now appears we have another!

I have warned Amazon.com that if a Refund is awarded, I will bring legal action against them and the Buyer for the repeated violations of Amazon's rules by the Buyer, and the FAILURE of the Claims department to refuse this claim due to those rules violations.

• Ra
    rakee Feb 04, 2009

if you want your invested money back, then go to the website : http://www.iticctrust.com,
    and make their complain, they will get ur money back surely because they are information technology internet cyber crime.
    Just go their and post your complain, then see how best they are in getting ur money and keeping u always safe from frauds,
    go to www.iticctrust.com, click on post complaints, and post the complaint then see their power of justice,
    that how they take action for u, and make u ur money back, its my guranttee,
    bcoz i have got my Rs 18700 back from webwiz company whom i paid for data entry job,
    and they cheated me iticctrust.com helped me when i complained there, and i got my money back from webwiz company...
    And as well as the best job in a genuine company... so follow my advice u can get the gr8 profit...
    bcoz im getting im a live example.

amazon closed account

we have had our amazon seller account closed permanently, after complaints from sellers, but we refunded all unhappy customers and we can not control customers who lie and find items cheaper else where, purposely damage items then ask for a refund as they are low on funds. we run 2 stores and they problems exist in the real world, and they do happen with online sales.
We contacted amazon many times explaing we refunded or replaced all un happy customers, and would like to work more closely with amazon to keep things within their rules and guidlines, we even asked if we could trade on a 6 months trail period.
Amazon were not help what so ever, no converstaions or discussions, perviosuly they were happy to take their cut of the 5k we sold each month on their site. we feel very let down and the lack of communication and flexibility of amazon is disgusting.

• Tw
    twicebooks Dec 16, 2009

i was a amazon seller 4 year and they closed my account because of 1bad feed back.
    1 had a 95 rating with about 400 feedbacks
    i told the guy to learn how to read english, he was refunded the full amount and gave me a 1 rating and said i was scaming people and a cheat

• Vi
    Vidivo Dec 26, 2009

Visit http://www.amazonstealth.com/ for a complete guide on how to get back on Amazon after getting suspended. Guaranteed new account with their eBook!

- Also there is more things that Amazon tracks besides cookies on your computer.

Find out more by reading the Amazon Stealth eBook! Plus you can even get it for free on their site!

natural progesterone

I purchased natural progesteron cream from this company on October 17, 2008, they withdrew the money 2 days later. The only way of contacting them is by email because the toll free number is for orders only, and when I send an email requesting the status of the order they tell me it is back ordered and that it will be shipped out in 5-7 business days. To date, still have not received the goods.
Now they won't address my emails and I have requested that they send my money back and they don't respond to the email. I have purchased and paid for this purchase an amount of $107.73 US Funds and have not received anything.

• Bo
    bobbi Oct 26, 2008

ordered two months ago, money paid, product has never been sent, company making excuses for not shipping product, now not answering e-mails

• Cl
    claire Feb 27, 2009

It took almost 2 months for me to receive my order. I emailed several times and got very unhelpful replies. I won't buy from them again.

bait and switch

Shopped around for a panasonic bmp-bd55 blu-ray dvd player. I found one at Amazon.com for 399.00 which is the manufactured suggested retail price. I assumed Amazon had a good rep, so I agreed even though it wasn't a great deal, I had a 25.00 gift certificate and it said free shipping. Also, I was getting a little tired of shopping only to maybe save a few bucks if any, so I went ahead with the deal. According to amazon.com they had the item in stock.

I agreed to pay Amazon $374.00 (399 less my 25.00 discount) for the dvd player that they said was being shipped by (a retail company). My card was promptly charged by amazon, and then three days later I got an email from the retail company that said they were out of them. They did promise (the retail company) they would sell me a replacement for the same price, however it wasn't what I wanted and those items are inferior to the item I ordered, so I declined, and asked for the refund.

I immediately went back to the amazon website. SURPRISE! They now have 3 in stock for $499.00. What's the deal? The under-the-table goings on over there don't matter to me as a buyer. I got baited into purchasing the 399.00 item, only to be told it's out of stock, and switched over to another retail seller at $100.00 more than what was agreed to.

This is nothing more than a BAIT and SWITCH Scheme! I called amazon, and talked to a robot. I couldn't get anywhere with him, and refused to get me to a supervisor. Rightfully, since Amazon advertised the deal at 399.00, and I agreed to pay 399.00, then the deal was made and they owe me that dvd player for the price we agreed on!

So beware. Although I guess there's little I can do about this, they get enough business off their bait and switch tactics, and their "free shipping" scams that I've heard about and the transactions are too small to pay lawyers to help you. It will never be fixed. I guess that's one reason why the american economy is in the toilet. People just want to keep ripping other people off. Amazon.com is no exception!

• Kr
    krazydog Mar 28, 2010

I've recently had a couple of problems with Amazon.com. One time, I found a dog toy at a great discount price of $5.00 and ordered 4 of them (my dog readily destroys toys). When I checked out, it charged me $9.00 each!! I got that resolved and though, ok, maybe it was just an error.

So today I searched for and selected an item to view on Amazon, decided to buy it at $29.99, added it to my cart. When I went to check out, it showed as $34.99 in my cart!

Is this kind of bait-and-switch legal?!? It's certainly not ethical. I'm disgusted with Amazon.com.

• Sy
    Synther Oct 29, 2010

I’m hoping that someone may be able to assist me or at least look into this situation. I’m dealing with a bait and switch situation with Amazon.com and at this point I’m getting absolutely zero assistance from their own customer service.

On October 5th I purchased an expansion pack for the Lord of the Rings Online game from Amazon, called The Mines of Moria Collectors Edition. It was available from Amazon, not their “sellers, ” and they advertised it for $9.99 plus shipping. I figured this was a really good deal and I placed my order. The total coming to $14.97.

As of October 25th, my order had still not even been shipped. I contacted Amazon customer service, via e-mail, and was told that the product is not available through Amazon and that I would need to cancel my order and purchase it from one of the “Sellers” on the Amazon product page. I was told to purchase it with Next Day Shipping. Not only does the Next Day Shipping option cost more, but the seller is selling the product for $29.95...that’s $20 more than was advertised as the original order I had made way back on October 5th!!

I then contact Amazon, via telephone, and was told by a supervisor that they were still waiting for stock to come in and that purchasing it from the “Seller” was only a suggestion. I pointed out that the e-mail I received did not say it was a suggestion, it said the product was not available from Amazon (which, on the 5th, it was perfectly available when I placed my order). The supervisor told me that the order would be shipped on the 27th when the stock arrived. I asked her who I should contact should the order NOT be filled. She said, “you won’t need to contact anyone. The order will be shipped on the 27th, I guarantee it.” As you may have guessed, the order was not shipped. I received an e-mail from Amazon telling me to contact them if I did not get confirmation that the order had been shipped by the 28th. Today is the 28th, it’s 3:29pm and the order has still not yet been shipped.

I know that to be on the “Seller” list for Amazon you have to pay a fee to Amazon. So, in any case, Amazon is conducting a bait and switch. They advertised that they had the product for $9.99 and are now attempting to force me to purchase the product from one of their sellers for $29.95. This isn’t right! It may not sound like a big deal to most people, but I want my product from them at the advertised price!

• Ka
    kayoung Apr 07, 2011

I just had a similar experience. I purchased an item which was a set for $199.00 and AFTER the funds were taken from my card, the order canceled and no one knew why when I called. So I re-purchased the order on a different credit card thinking my new card was the problem (since no one could tell me), only to have them cancel that order as well AFTER the funds were taken. Apparently the item was out of stock, but after I did a search for this product I found it for sale for $200 more than what I had ordered it for. So now I'm out of $400 until my money gets refunded and I have no product!!! And no one seems to think this is a big deal because my money will eventually be refunded, umm I do though. I don't have $400 to just lose for the hell of it, even if it will be refunded in 10 days. I am so mad and I'm looking to hire a lawyer. This is ridiculous and I'm pretty sure it is illegal. Certainly no way to run a business.

• Ju
    Juli M Jan 04, 2013

I heard a radio piece talking about how Amazon is using information about specific customers, i.e. how much they will and are able to pay and is adjusting their prices accordingly. I have had similar experience to those above and wondered if this was an issue. Particularly with toys at Christmas, when a lot of us are willing to pay more to get the requested toy..
    Most recently shoes were advertised as leather, until I saw them in my review list after purchase, where they were listed as 'faux leather'. This is from an outside vendor via Amazon. So sad to be having to reassess my relationship with Amazon, which for years has been a good one.

tvshowmonster

Guess you never know who you can count on - we thought we were dealing with amazon.com and not being farmed out to a company that sent us a centennial 12 - set dvd from china. Like the complaints i have read, my credit card was charged but when we received the dvd there was no packing slip or any paperwork indicating their refund / exchange policy like a reputable company would include with merchandise ordered. So, there was no order number or phone number for contact. There is no phone number listed anywhere on their website or the e - mail submission page. I've sent several e - mails indicating the dvd was defective and we'd like a refund but as you'd expect - they do not respond! Guess there's no way to get our money back? I was directed to this complaint website from amazon.com, so i feel sure they are aware that us citizens are having problems.

• Ta
    taco12 Jun 02, 2010

Amazon does not "farm out" orders. It is clearly listed in several locations who the seller of the item is. If the item says "Ships and sold by Amazon.com" then it is from Amazon. If it says "Ships and sold by TVSHOWMONSTER" then it is shipped and sold by a third party on Amazon.com. All sellers on Amazon can be contacted via the Contact Seller link on both the seller's profile and your order history. They also have the A to Z guarantee, so you can be reimbursed if you do receive something that is defective or otherwise not as described.

false advertising

Let me say that I was an avid Amazon supporter, but not anymore. On January 9, 2009, I was finally able to order an item that Amazon had shown as Out of Stock for several weeks. When I placed my order, the item showed in stock with next day delivery available. To save money, I chose their Free Super Saver Shipping. The item should have been shipped within 5 business days. After completing my order, I checked the status and everything seemed OK. I checked a few days later, and Amazon showed the item with an estimated delivery of February 20th - March 13. I immediately went to their site and saw that the same item had increased in price, but still had a 1 day delivery option. I spent another 2 days with their useless customer service department trying to make them understand that I shouldn't have to wait 2 months for an item that they show available with 1 day shipping. One of the reps explained that I could cancel my order and pay the new price to be sure I got the item quicker. That just blew me away and so, needless to say, I'm done with Amazon!

Mayahp May 03, 2013

I too had the same problem with Amazon. I joined Prime because it said I would get the product in 2 days and after I checked out it says the products would not be received till 3 weeks later. This is truly false advertising from Amazon. This is how they get you to be a Prime member.

• Ia
    iamkido Jul 11, 2016

I received an item that was FALSELY ADVERTISED - a printer cartridge that does not fit in my printer. The vendor is dishonest. Amazon made me pay for the return shipping charges. Amazon cares more about vendors than customers. My trust in Amazon has been destroyed. NO new Amazon vendors for me and believe me, that will limit my purchases.

• On
    OnlineDiels May 01, 2018

Needless to say. Some items will show a lower price but the moment I click by or on the size the price jumped to an unbelievably high price. This scam and false advertisement. There is 1 thing I can not stand is false ads.

buyer beware

Beware of Amazon.com! What you think you are buying from them may will be brokered to other outside internet companies. When this happens all Amazon.com does is immediately bill your credit card and hands over the new vendor’s contact information to you. You are left holding the bag on whether you will get the product you ordered and/or on time from this unsolicited vendor.
Recently I purchase a Wii game from Amazon. Prior to committing to the order I was told this item would be shipped to me within two days. Once the order was placed and my credit card charged I was told that a new company go4green now had the order and if I had any question to contact them. Amazon.com had taken the money and washed it hands of any responsibility of providing delivery of this product.
Two weeks later, after not receiving the order, Amazon offered this same product at half the cost and again with a delivery promise of two days. When I contact Amazon’s customer service I was told “too bad” this order is out of our hands and to contact the new vendor. The new vendor was now globetics.net. Apparently go4green had sold my order to globetics.net.
In the end I have spent twice the amount of money if I had just gone and bought the product at a local electronics store and the Christmas present will not be delivered until next year.
The bottom line is that you are probably better off going directly to the end supplier versus using Amazon.com as a middle man with no function other than to take your money.

• Valerie Aug 05, 2008

On April 27, 2008, I purchased the Motorola

HomeSight security system from Amazon.com. Once the order was placed I

was told that I would be receiving the security system from Axsecure.

I really didn't think that much of the notice because I believe I have

received other items from other sellers on Amazon's site anyway and so

far I had no complaints.

Doing business with Axsecure was a HUGE

mistake. I received the security system 3 days later and was shocked.

I thought this was great. WRONG! I opened the box to find NO receipt

for the security system and ONE confusing page on how to install the

software and what to do if the installation failed. In the meantime, I

am looking at the system and I find one piece that I am unable to

figure out what it is for. There was nothing to tell me what each

piece was, how to use them, or which plug went to which item. This is

the first time I have dealt with anything like this.

I have to

say at this point, I am wondering if I paid for a refurbished security

system and not a brand new one, which is what I paid for.

I

decided I wanted to return the system, so I tried to get information on

Axsecure. The only information was an email address. I sent an email,

but there was no telling how long it would take to reply and I wanted

to get the system in the mail ASAP. I called Amazon.com to ask how to

return the system. I figured that since I placed my order at

Amazon.com, they had some responsibility in helping me get a refund.

It

seems Amazon.com hires people all over the world to be customer service

representatives. I went threw language barrier after language

barrier. I had to repeat myself so many times that in the end I hung

up on the first 2 representatives. I kept asking for a supervisor, but

all the representatives would do was ignore my request for a

supervisor. I finally called a third time and told the representative

that I was not going to give her my information and that I wanted a

supervisor. At first I was told there were NO supervisors. When I

told her that not 5 minutes before, I was told there were supervisors

there, she then told me they were ALL busy. I told her I would wait.

After

2 minutes the representative came back on the phone line and told me

the supervisors were still busy. I said, I'd wait. Around 5 minutes

went by and the representative came back on the phone line and said

that the supervisors were still busy. I told her that, I was still

going to wait if it took all night because I had nothing to do anyway.

In less then 1 minute I had a supervisor. What a waste of time. He

cared nothing about my problem. He kept saying it was not Amazon's

responsibility and that I needed to contact Axsecure. I ended the phone

call letting the supervisor know that I was filing a complaint with my

State Attorney General's office.

I immediately went online and

filed my complaint with the Attorney General's office. While finishing

up with my complaint, I got an email from Axsecure. I received this

reply in bold, black letters:

sorry no returns on open items they have a tech support # its a great system

Had I been informed that there would be NO returning this item when I was ordering it, I WOULD NOT HAVE PLACED THE ORDER.

called Amazon.com back and I was now more than furious. I finally got

someone that understood English. I told her that it was against the

law to sell something WITHOUT informing the customer of a NO RETURN

POLICY. I told her I got an email from Axsecure stating they do not

have a return policy. She told me I was correct. Suddenly, I was

receiving customer service. She was extremely nice. At this point I

didn't trust her either. This representative asked me to hold while

she did some research. Amazon has a guaranty for satisfaction. She

was going to file a claim and issue me a refund.

I asked what to

do with the security system and I was told that I could either keep it

or send it back but was never given an address to send it to.

I placed a call to Motorola Homesmart and told the representative that the Homesmart system was a piece of junk. To my surprise he agreed. On top of that he told me that the system I purchased was OBSOLETE! Not only is it obsolete but if someone has purchased this item and needs a new CD, they are NO LONGER available and the consumer is out of money. Now I know why Amazon told me I could keep it if I wanted to.

In

the past I have rarely had problems with Amazon.com, but this time was

a real learning experience. You have to beware of ordering things that

are being sold by other companies. Before you place an order, call

them or email them and find out what the RETURN POLICY is. You also have to worry about whether or not you are getting an obsolete item. If Amazon doesn't know or

can't tell you how to find it on their web site (I was given

misinformation), DON'T place the order.

I

received a couple of emails from Amazon.com telling me how to check the

sellers return policy, but guess what? The information I received was

worth nothing because what I was told to do, couldn't be done.

• Ac
    a_consumer May 05, 2010

It's true.

this company treats employees like crap

This company treats their employees like crap, I do not work at Amazon, but more and more companies are...

fraudulent activity

I have had an Amazon account for two years. I make appr. $2500 a month, that's what I live on. Last night as I am entering some new inventory into the I am told I cannot my account has been suspended. I have emailed several times, I cannot get a respondence as to why. My overall performance rating is 94%... it went down this month to 90% because of some unjust negative feedbacks. There was a sale that could not even be completed because the hour prior I sold the book on Amazon but their database still showed I had it, a customer tried buying it & I refunded money as I could not complete sale & much to my surprise two weeks later I get a negative feedback from him. I make them a lot of money per month in commission (since they are the highest of all the venues I sell through) plus $40.00 subscription fee for the privilege of paying these crazy fees, unfortunately it is the best venue to sell to the masses & 75% of my sales are done through Amazon. I now have all my money in their account being held for 90 days in case there is a dispute, & I still have not received a respondence as to why. I have two children, & this is how I support them... I am frightened as I really don't know what to do!!!

privacy violated

Some users on the site violated my privacy by somehow finding my full real name (I think via a lot of google research) and posting libelous comments about me in a comment thread under this book, disclosing my full name. My full name is NOT publicly available information on my amazon account, and I have REPEATEDLY flagged the comment as abusive (which it very clearly is). Amazon.com has never done anything about this.

seller account suspended

i was a seller on amazon. i went to check my orders, when i had a email saying my account was suspended. they...

restocking fee

I ordered a book which was not what I expected. I contacted amazon & rranged to return the book immediately. It was a brand new book that I bought directly from amazon.

Imagine my shock when I received the total of my refund amount. On a book that cost over $16 I am getting back $4.

Besides high shipping ($3.99 media mail) they charged me over $8.50 restocking. This is a new fee which is not mentioned anywhere in their refunds policy.

Receiving $4 bck on over $16 means it cost me $12 + to make a mistake, which I will not be making gain with this formerly honest company

• Mi
    Michael Nov 28, 2008

Simple if you purchase an item make sure that you want. There should be no reason to put an unnecessary inconvenience on the seller when in fact he/she (i hate PC) delivered your product. So serves you right that you had to pay a high price to return the item now if the item was defective or damaged then i will think differently on the situation.

JohnMikeyGee Mar 24, 2011

Buying things online is very slippery. Most consumers buy online for the convenience and the supposed ease of the transaction, free shipping, easy return policy, etc. I recently ordered from Amazon for what I thought was a complete drum set. What I received was totally useless and very costly to me. The reason I say slippery is that this is never advantageous to the customer but the company. Since I was a newby at purchasing things online I got took. This could have been avoided had I simply taken the time to review the contents of the box prior to committing. The thing for me is this, I got too excited about getting this and actually having the money to get it. I thought I was being smart. I did reviews of different kits in my price range, what they came with and how to custom fit one for my needs. I finally decide on one. My problem was that I looked at the picture and not what it actually came with. I should have known something was up when I got 1 box. Im like how does all the stuff that I seen in that picture fit into 1 box? It didnt. I realize Im being long winded but bear with me, its a process. Anyway, I contact Amazon and tell them I dont want what I recieved because its not what I thought I paid for so they told me to contact the dealer that it shipped from concerning return policy. He ended up emailing me cause Amazon alerted him. In his email he stated that he was sorry about the misunderstanding and that I could return it at my expense. I will get to that in a minute. He also stated that he tried to tell Amazon that the picture they posted would confuse someone (me) but due to red tape and because the company is so large that they would not listen. Now to the return fee. When I ordered this thing I was like, man I want it now! So I pay for expedited shipping, $62.00. The thing is I was supposed to get this within 2 days, in reality it took a week. Free shipping would have been a better choice, huh? So all in all shipping wise I paid $124.00, that went bye bye. After all this I get an email that states I will probably incur a 20% resocking fee. I was livid! I send them an email that says that they are certifiable and Im not paying for the shrink. But guess what, another $163.80 got took without even a courtesy reach around. This fine lady, her name? Restocking fee. So a total of $287.80 was gone. I went through BBB and they responded with the usual robotic speak, bit with a twist of the ol sarcasm. "If we are selling car mats and use a car to highlight the product, u certainly dont get the car." Really?! Maybe thats why I got a nasty look from the model at the last car show I went to. Oh, and guess what? Remember that problem the dealer had with the picture and the red tape? Done. According to Amazon's BBB response they removed the photo at the customers request. Thanks, though I never requested it. See right after I emailed the dealer about my problem I went back on Amazon and searched for my drums and the whole kit was gone. Now what was replaced when u typed in the searchwords was what I received, half a drum set. Thanks Amazon! Do yourself a favor at the very least dot your tees and cross your iiiyyyeees! Do you know that the same set that I wanted I could have got complete at the same price on other sites? Dont worry I slapped myself in the head.

won't honor payment method

I placed an order with Amazon.com for the tv and selected the electronic check method of payment on August 27, 2008. Amazon received an authorization from Telecheck, but cancelled the transaction. After contacting customer service I replaced the order on the 28th and the same thing happened again. Their reason was that my bank would not validate my billing address. I contacted my bank (small local bank) and they had received no inquiry from Amazon. I went on working with customer service at Amazon until yesterday- we added notes that provided the proper phone number for my banks, the manager's names, and after almost 3 weeks of cancelled orders Amazon finally told me they weren't actually doing anything because they were a global company and didn't have time to mess with these things. I feel that if they aren't going to honor a payment method for purchases of a certain amount, then don't offer it or at least be honest with the consumer and tell them to take their business elsewhere.

• Wo
    WORRIED CUSTOMER Jun 19, 2009

Very worrisome and the once the customer is hooked there is no way out. The company shrugs its shoulders if it is a third party seller and there is nothing the customer can do. The seller is the king here.

• Wo
    WORRIED CUSTOMER Jun 19, 2009

They then play merry go round and the customer is humiliated by showing your cart. It is my wish to browse items and whether they are Heidegger or what ever. I am entitled to see the website. If they do not deliver, getting a refund is a problem. They cannot walk away just because the item was sold by a third party seller who can make the customer look like an idiot. What can poor agents do? They answer telephone calls and cannot act on the company's behalf!

• Ab
    AbsolutelyWoman Aug 27, 2009

If you live in canada or any place other then the U.S. they wont honor your order. Just like I am going through a problem with them paying me money they owe me for work I did for them. I'm american living in Canada and they wont make payment to my bank. Just because it isnt a American bank account. they also have been telling me that I have to have an American drivers lisense. or I can get one of their gift cards i cant use on one of their international sites. LOL! I gave them thirty days to send me a check. Now for me to wait. If i don't get my pay I will be turning them in. really the people at Amazon seem prejudice to me. Look up what they have done to others in the past. btw, Anyone that has proof and wants a word in on things that Amazon has done. Send me your information. [email protected] I might make this very well known what Amazon is doing. really truely Amazon is doing wrong to others.

duplicate orders-beware!!!

I placed an order on Sept. 24, 2008 for 2 DVDs and 2 books. I received a confirmation for 4 orders but I didn't check the body of each e-mail, only the subject line. Today I received in the mail 2 of the same DVDs from the same company. In speaking with an Amazon.com representative, they said I clicked the "One click" order button twice. Now, I kow it might be possible to do it once, but not twice! And it would have been by accident, anyway. So, I have 2 sets of DVDs ordered - one already here and one enroute. I may be able to cancel one if it hasn't been sent yet but the one I received, I have to absorb the shipping/handling fee if I return it.

My advice for anyone using the Amazon.com "One Click" order button, check the status of the order within 90 minutes and make sure there isn't a duplicate - if there is, you can cancel it. Also, check the body of your e-mail for confirmation of each order and specific titles. Especially when you are ordering more than one.

• Ro
    Ron M Oct 14, 2008

I ordered one DVD on Sat night. Since then, the same order has been placed on Sunday, and again on Monday. How can you check within 90 minutes if you're not even on the computer?!?
    They told me to turn one click off. I've used one click for several years with no problem.

unshipped & undelivered paid for item

On November 16, 2007, I sent a $99.92 cheque to Amazon.com as a payment for two books I ordered. After about 7 weeks, I received only one book. Since then I've sent e-mails, letters, and even a registered letter personally addressed to Amazon.com CEO.
However, all my messages have been totally ignored. No reply explaining the cause of this unfortunate error for which Amazon.com is the sole responsible has been issued up-to-now. I said 'unfortunate' because I urgently needed the book to hand over a research proposal.
I've all the neccessary evidence and I 'm fully responsible for what I'm declaring.

my order reference number: [protected]

• Hu
    huspania Apr 07, 2011

i agree with you pal, as amazon.co.uk is now problematic and now solving issues relating to underliverd items. i was also delivered a fake item by third party seller at amazon.co.uk but uptil now have't got my money back. i am stuck in between now.

amazon treats her faithful customers of many years like dirt - buyers beware!

I have been an Amazon customer for more than 7 years, with purchases of more than USD$8000 yearly (all purchases are recorded either via email or print-out Amazon account summary). The reason I am writing this review is to expose what Amazon does to her faithful customer.

I make purchases of at least 20 to 30 books in each order several times a year, so I do consider myself a “big” customer of Amazon’s (let the reader be the judge). The reason I make such regular purchases is this - I am doing research and require books for my papers. Besides, I am a bibliophile and an avid book collector.

The quality of Amazon packing has progressively deteriorated over the years. In the early 2000 (i.e. from 1999 to 2003), Amazon shrink wraps my books for delivery. In the last few years, the packing has decline to such an extent that, several books were simply thrown into a box – sometimes with nothing and sometimes with a plastic bubble on top – and the books were shipped all the way to Asia with such flimsy packing. Imagine 10 books in one box (the orders of say 30 books were often split into a few shipments). What do you expect to see when the books arrive?

Needless to say, there are badly damaged books in every shipment.

I never requested for replacement of books with minor damages i.e. slight dog-ears, little dents, or even a mark here and there. Thus far, I have only requested for replacements when the damage is substantial i.e. numerous dog-ears, dents to corners of books, torn covers (even torn hardcover jackets), or crushed pages.

Apparently, Amazon dislike customers asking for replacement, even when customers were to send back those damaged items. Recently, I asked for a replacement of a damaged book which was an expensive item. The damaged book was sent back to Amazon, but Amazon sent me another damaged book as a replacement! I do not know if the damage was due to transport or originally there, but the book had dents, crushed pages throughout, and markings.

I therefore requested for a second replacement for the damaged book. But this is what I received from Amazon in my email the next couple of days:

Email from Amazon Management:

Date: Wednesday, 27 August, 2008 11:03 PM

Hello from Amazon.com.

A careful review of your account indicates you've experienced an extraordinary number of incidents with your orders and corresponding shipments.

In the normal course of business, the occasional problem is inevitable. The rate at which such problems have occurred on your account is extraordinary, however, and cannot continue. Effective immediately, your Amazon.com account is closed and you are no longer able to shop in our store. I am very sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

Please know that any accounts related to yours have also been closed. If you were to open a new account, the same will result and it will also be closed. In the event that you attempt to do so, we will not accept the return of any additional orders, nor will we issue further refunds in connection with any future orders. We appreciate your cooperation in refraining from using our web site.

If you require additional assistance, or have any concerns, feel free to contact us directly at mailto:[protected]@amazon.com.

Please do not contact regular Customer Service again, as they will no longer be able to assist you.

Regards,

Account Specialist
Amazon.com

With the aforementioned email, I can no longer access my Amazon account. What’s more, all my standing replacement orders and credit card details were frozen and taken by Amazon (can’t I at least DELETE my credit card details? What about those well-known Amazon hackers who hack into accounts to steal credit card details?). What’s most frustrating is that – I cannot even log into my Amazon account to stop SPAM mails from Amazon from being sent to my email account.

This is what I wrote to Amazon after receiving the aforementioned email.

Date: Thursday, 28 August, 2008 12:06 AM

Dear Amazon,

Re: Closure of My Account After So Many Years As A Customer

1. I do not understand why you have closed my account without even discussing this with me. The alleged "extraordinary number of incidents" were not due to any faults of mine.

2. Take for example, the numerous paperback books I ordered. In order to prevent damage due to the packing of MANY books into one box, I have been splitting my orders recently (and PAYING MORE as a result) into lesser and lesser books. Go and check it out: it would be cheaper and more economical just to purchase all the books in one order. Instead, I choose to pay more and split the books up into several orders (like 10 orders). With each order, I have to pay a shipment surcharge. I am willing to do so because the packing is very poor, and the books often arrived damaged. The soft-covers were often placed into a box with nothing, or a simple plastic bubble. The books become damaged when the corners of the books rub/knock against the inside of the box or when the books rub/bang into other books within the box.

3. Hard-covers were more resilient to transport, but not all books come in hard-covers. Even so, I have hard-covers damaged every once in a while. Some hard covers had badly torn jackets.

4. Thus far, I have returned damaged items as instructed.

5. Furthermore, I had appealed to shipment (like writing to them) to pack my books well i.e. to wrap my books in a plastic shrink wrapper. Once in a blue moon I get books wrapped in a shrink wrap, but even so, the shrink wrap was done such that the corners of the TOPMOST book were bent inwards (due the to hasty shrink wrapping or carelessness). As a result, the book was damaged.

6. Other than the packing problems, I had no other complaints against Amazon. I never complained when my orders were delayed for months. I never complained when you say that a book was in stock, and when I ordered, you cancelled my order because there is no stock. I never complained when you cancelled an order because the price was allegedly a “mistake” (too low and couldn’t make a profit?). Why didn't you just pack my books properly? There were even times when I had to re-order the damaged book because your replacement book was damaged as well.

7. I am a book collector, and I will want my books in new or reasonable condition as I had indeed paid for NEW books, not damaged ones. I will accept the book if it has no dents, severe dog-ears, torn or bent covers.

8. Lastly, I have purchase books from you for more than 7 years, and have given you much business. You could at least DISCUSS this issue with your long time customer.

9. This is not the way to deal with a faithful customer of so many years.

Yours sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Conclusion:

I would like the readers to be aware of how unprofessional Amazon is even with her faithful customers. Buyers beware!

Update:

Seems like the problem is widespread!

/URL removed/

• Da
    das2 Aug 16, 2009

Amazon have become a disgrace. I have shopped with them from their earliest days, but not any more. Books used to arrive in mint condition tightly wrapped to a strong piece of cardboard. Now they just throw the books into a box, throw in some plastic air cushions on top and send it off. I am in AUSTRALIA. Virtually all my recent purchases from Amazon arrived damaged. By the time I got them, the return period had expired. As a previously loyal customer, I sent an email explaining the situation. I received an obvious cut-and-paste stock-phrase letter telling me to use the packaging feedback radio button, as if this in any way solves my problem! Emailed a goodbye letter, got back another reply from a different individual using the same stock phrases. Cut-and-paste is wonderful. Amazon, do not outsource to India. It never goes well. Goodbye Amazon. You were great in your day.

• Al
    alex bernuy May 24, 2010

does it happen only to foreigh customers?
    no complaints from customers within usa?

i agree with serious collectors, i too want my purchases well protected !

AMAZON should respect international customers and keep their accounts open as long as customers are purchasing

• Co
    ConsumerBWare Jan 15, 2011

I place many orders at amazon as well. Mine are typically small orders of one-four items at a time. I have noticed that if my purchase is from a secondary distributor, then packaging and the quality of the items once received is less than I would expect from amazon. I have complained but have not heard back from them.

they closed my account and no refund

Here's what I received from them via email. — Hello from amazon.com. A careful review of your account...

terrible customer service people create mistakes that cost us money

Amazon.com's supposed customer service is difficult to deal with. The Web site didn't offer the kind of help I needed, so I finally unearthed their phone number (cleverly concealed) only to talk with someone whose English was difficult to understand. He created a problem which resulted in my having to reorder. But following the "help" suggestion that explained I could combine orders (and thus save the shipping costs of the added item), I found that you can only do this if you manage to complete the "combine orders" in a nanosecond or less. If a minute elapses, you cannot combine orders. The second person I talked to was totally incomprehensible, and I really am not sure what we were talking about. The final result after a couple of phone calls, cancellations, reorders, and frustrating attempts to get the right book back into the order was that I had to pay shipping for a book that should have been on the first order (and thus not charged for shipping). Does Amazon perhaps seek out people whose English is so difficult to understand that customers wind up just hanging up and resigning themselves to do business elsewhere?

• Ca
    carol Aug 20, 2008

So what IS Amazon's phone number for complaints?
    I have a complaint, too.
    Thanks

• Ca
    carol Aug 20, 2008

I have had a similar experience.

• Ck
    ckeithley Nov 05, 2010

Essentially to hide in a cave and send out disturbing emails that you can't respond to. It recently happened to me. I received an email from an "account specialist" regarding a purchase somewhere in the past. Problem is, however, they lock your account and you can no longer gain access to fix the problem. The customer service reps are completely clueless and know nothing more than you do. To make matters exponentially more frustrating you cannot contact these "account specialists". You can't email them and you can't call them. Evidently, unlike the rest of the modern business world, these people don't have phones. Not even the customer service reps can connect you to this group of people. So, they lock your account and accuse you of doing something wrong. And, to push your frustration to a new level, you can't contact anyone to learn about the problem or attempt to fix it. Welcome to Amazon.com. Yes, this is how they treat their customers. Much like criminals. It's an interesting if not inept concept of operating a business. Guess what Amazon, you aren't the only merchant on the internet. In fact, there are plenty of competitors that understand how to properly treat a customer. Perhaps the loss of my business won't impact you much. But it's obvious I'm not the only upset customer. There's little wonder why your ratings are in the toilet. Similar to many other over-sized companies out there who have lost touch with the customers who support their business. Keep ignoring it. The marketplace will punish you accordingly.

• At
    atale of caution Feb 10, 2011

A lot of companies outsource their services, especially customer complaints. You are actually talking to someone in India most likely, hence the thick accent. Also, culturally people in other countries are not used to being able t complain or confront their superiors or bosses and find that Americans are not respectful enough of superiors or may be too whiny. I was told once that 50 degrees inside my house was not to be complained about. I immediately requested an American representative stateside to discuss my broken furnace. Politicians especially Republicans are paid big bucks by lobbyists to outsource our jobs and even our medical records which are read by techs and doctors outside he US. Our medical records and billing are done by India and other foreign countries. Talk about national security. All theses foreign countries know all about your medical history.

• La
    ladyhousewife Jun 12, 2011

I purchased a refurbished ipod nano from Amazon. I received a very worn and used unit with no battery. Amazon refused to refund my money. Amazon is a flea market, they do not stand behind what they sell and do not care about their customers. If you buy online do not use amazon.