A1 American PlumbingResponce Time

Some time during the middle of the night our hot water heater ruptured flooding the kitchen and dinning room. I called the emergency number at 07:30 and the Technician stated someone would be out in the morning. Well it's now 1:21 and they still have not arrived. I explained I take care of an 89 woman who had a stroke and at the same time I had plans to go out of town. This just shows A1 is not on your side and WAVY TV 10 in Portsmouth should cancel their false advertisement.

• Wi
    winxwen Sep 16, 2015

I should have written this complaint 3 months ago but did not have time to do it and forgot. I just remembered to do this now because I saw a leak at the supposedly fixed area. We called A-1 American in June because the PVC pipe connecting the water pump broke. The job was as simple as to remove the broken adapter and re-pipe. The guy Tommy Spivey charged us $544 after some discount for a job that took less than an hour and worth less than $20 of materials from Home Depot. I am not sure how much is the rate here in Chesapeake but that's way too much money for a non-complicated issue. I should have had the patience to do it myself but the grass was turning brown and at the time I was extremely busy. The worse thing is now water is leaking out of the T-piece connection. I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Comments

• Wi
    Winter Gardner May 28, 2015

I called A-1 based on their ads. I had a leak behind one of my shower fixtures. I told the company I wanted the valve replaced and that no diagnosis was needed. A guy arrives in a no name truck. He comes in and tells my wife it will cost $945 and that he does not have any parts. Of course we say no way. He makes us pay a $78 diagnosis fee. I went to Lowes, bought the part for $40 and installed it myself in half an hour and I'm no plumber. This company is not a company. It seems like they drive around all day, propose outrageous fees and then just take the $78 with no intention of doing any work.

• Ga
    Gaetane Campbell May 20, 2015

I was ripped off yesterday by them. They should no be aloud to have a license to screw people. Specially older people. When you call, to ask questions, they become hosteled since they can not come up with the true. Everything mention in their reviews(complaints) are true and more...

mark hopskin Feb 09, 2015

People need to do their research before choosing A-1 American Services. My heater wasn't working and the technician supposedly determined that I needed a new pressure switch and a draft inducer motor. They wanted to charge me $463.00 for the pressure switch and $1100.00 for the inducer motor. I ask that people be aware that a pressure switch cost about 30-40 dollars and takes less than five minutes to put on a inducer fan, I would also add that a inducer motor is under $200.00 and takes about 30-40 min to put on. What were they charging me for? According to their website you pay for the job not by hour.? $1500 for a job that takes less that an hour to complete and parts that cost less than $200.00. Oh, by the way that wasn't even the cause, got a new pressure switch and draft motor still no hot air.

• Fe
    Feeling Poorer May 01, 2014

Never ever use A-1 American, they are overpriced, will not return call or e-mail after they take your money. I complained to the BBB and they lied to them in response. I cannot state strongly enough that you will be much better off calling anyone else to have work done.

• Fr
    Fredgray Jul 02, 2013

They ripped my daughter off. They charged about 400 dollars an hour to replace a toilet flange. Please check the BBB before using this company, they are a total rip off

• Bm
    BManning Aug 10, 2012

What is you see is not what you get. I called A-1 because of their commercials - they seemed like a reputable company. I expected someone to pull up in a nice red van with a large A-1 sign on the side. Instead, a guy pulled up in an older white van with no signs or anything to indicate who he worked for. He was nothing like the professional-looking gentleman in the commercials, either. His shirt was untucked, buttons were undone down to his chest, and his gold chains were swinging back and forth. Before he came, I spent a couple of hours doing a lot of prep work to make things easier for him (moved washer, dryer, and water heater so he could get easy access to drain line. I dug down to the clean out outside in case he needed to get in that way.). I told him what I had done to try and remove a clog and where I thought it was. He agreed with "my assessment" and told me it would cost $510 to snake out the 12 foot section of pipe. "BUT" since he was a little late he would knock the price down to $410. I told him I could not and would not pay that. I had to pay the $78 that was supposed to pay for him to diagnose the problem (which I already did - I just couldn't reach the clog with my equipment). I feel that this company misrepresents itself and gives a false impression of who they really are through their advertisements. Their prices are ridiculous as well. I called another plumber (who works for Smith and Keene) and he was shocked at the price I was quoted. He told me "If I charged those prices, I would not be able to sleep at night." I am very disappointed with this company and feel sorry for the elderly and widows who think they're calling the nicely dressed, well-groomed, clean-cut man who promises quality work at a fair price. Instead they end up getting ripped off and taken advantage of.

• Lu
    luxracing Jul 10, 2012

A1 American charged my Mother $600 for a simple residential bathroom clogged drain. She is an elderly Filipino woman, taking care my Father, whom is a white disabled, retired, Navy Veteran. She asked the guy why it was so expensive and he replied with "that's how much it costs in this economy". She wrote a check and never called them for their services again. Just for the record, a simple residential bathroom clogged drain, with no additional repair work during regular operating hours (and with an appointment), should yield about a $70-$80 price range from a reputable, experienced plumber. Call around. LOOK FOR SOMEONE ELSE. THESE GUYS WILL RIP YOU OFF. HORRIBLE.

• It
    itsmevickieb May 31, 2011

This company is the absolute worst for ripping people off. I have a number of friends who were quoted large prices, including price of a new unit, when it was not necessary. Former neighbors of mine were told that a new unit was necessary. They got a second opinion & the total cost was the price of a gasket. I shared this story with our mailman & HE TOO had issues with A1 American. I contacted News Channel 3 with this information since their commercial is always on & I was that it would be looked into. Since they still advertise so it's clear they, along with other news channels, think more of their advertising dollars than their viewers. I can't believe this company has survived this long...well, yes I can...by selling whole units instead of being honest. I can't even stand to watch their commercials.

• B2
    B2BX Apr 05, 2010

I called A1 american because of the ad on TV and the coupon plus the yellow pages Guarantee. I was promised someone would be out before 2 p.m. I called after waiting until 3 was assured the tech was delayed and he would be out shortly I waited another 1 hour and called back another delay. They would have the tech would call me back. Thank God no one ever showed up.

A-1 American - Bad Review Mar 24, 2010

I just got robbed by A-1 American. I called and told them I need my line snaked due to a clogged drain. The receptionist told me that it was a $78 service fee and if any "repairs" were need that it would be extra. The tech came in, told me the line was clogged and that it needed to be snaked. He then opened a standard service fee book and told me that it would be $385 to snake the drain. I told him never mind as it wasn't the quote I was given on the phone... He then explained that the $78 was just for him to come to the house. Absolutely deceptive practices. They could have told me on the phone that the fee to snake the line was $385.

PS. I had an appointment the day before at 3pm. At 615pm the tech called to reschedule for the next day. I should have canceled. I never even thought to read the blogs due to their commercials and the Wavy TV 10 ads. :(

I just got off the phone with Tabatha (Office Manager)... She stands behind the practices of her company.

Signed,
    US Navy Veteran

A-1AmericanSucks Mar 13, 2010

My gas furnace would not start. The A-1 American repairman Mark Van came with his boy son. He left his son alone in the truck in 40F cold weather. This unprofessional behavior prevented him from spending the necessary long time to diagnose and repair. He spent only 5 minutes to give a hasty wrong diagnosis that the heat exchanger was bad. His solution was to replace the entire system. I paid $78 for nothing! I called other companies later and they all said that his diagnosis was wrong because bad heat exchanger should not stop the furnace from starting. It turned out that the control board, not the heat exchanger, was bad. I purchased a new control board to replaced it. The problem was solved.
    Victims like us should pool money together to put an ad on WAVY to stop anyone from being ripped off by them!

• Na
    nagshead Feb 12, 2010

A-1 American are crooks and its sad that thier license has not been taken away. They are still ripping people off constantly. They came to my mothers house and charged her almost 5, ooo$ to put a new unit in. They put the wrong size unit in and will not return her phone calls. Finally they had a contractor come to her house to fix their mistake its been over 2 weeks now. I will NEVER recommend them to anyone and they have the worst customer service I have ever witnessed. Please take my advice and take your business else where. They don't even have a licensed electrician and they never pulled a permit for the work they did. BEWARE!

A 1 sucks Feb 11, 2010

A 1 America is the Devil they have been sent from satan to rip off anyone they can. They came out to my house in the end of November to replace my heating unit. Well the idiots put the wrong size in my house. My electric bill was 400$ because the unit they put was constantly running. Because of all the cold weather the unit finally just gave up and turned into a block of sculptured ice. I have been without heat for 5 days nows I have called numerous times and have gotten no response. I still have no heat and have called every day now at least 15 times. I was told that they were out on a ski trip and someone will get back to me which was a lie. I have medical problems and need heat I have explained this and they still have not contacted me. I paid good money in November to have heat. Did I metion that this is still under warranty lol!!! People make sure you do your research before hiring these jerks. By the way Wavy Tv 10 sucks tooo!!!

• Tt
    ttofov Jan 27, 2010

These crooks charged my mother well over $300 to snake out a sewer line which took 10 minutes!
    I even helped the idiot unload his equipment. NEVER AGAIN. CALL ANY COMPANY BESIDES A-1. They have alot of nerve using the American flag as a backdrop. The BBB also told me this company has had numerous complaints.

• Su
    superchel Dec 28, 2009

I agree 100% This company has the WORST SERVICE EVER. We had an issue with our well pump. We were told the guy would be there in an hour. FOUR DAYS and 8 PHONE CALLS LATER - and after I had already called someone who actually showed up! - their guy appeared. I told him I had called 8 times and was told each time that he would be there with in the hour. I then explained that I had already called someone else who fixed the pump. His response: His bill for $78 for the call! Oh, and if I refused to pay it, they would sue me! REALLY. Called BBB immediately. They said they have NUMEROUS unresolved complaints. Call anyone else!