Resolved Windstream DSL Internetpoor service provided!

H

This letter is in regard to the subpar service that we are receiving from Windstream for internet service. I pay for the top-of-the-line service, which is 3.0. However, I have not been receiving what I’m paying for for nearly a month, now. Online broadband tests often show me at half the speed I am supposed to be getting (or slightly more or less), or the DSL connection is dropped completely. I have called to complain to Windstream numerous times, and it seems that they are incapable of fixing the problem. To start with, their phone techs tend to try to blame the problem on something we’ve added to the computer, like a router or anti-viral software, instead of seeing if it’s something on their end. We’ve had two techs come out to our home, and they do system checks and various tests that they repeat over and over, and can’t seem to find a problem, other than the sometimes mentioned “packet loss”. This packet loss would be an issue on their end, which one tech has admitted to us. However, they don’t seem to be able to fix the issue of this packet loss. My wife has recently started working from home, and is highly dependent on Windstream to provide the high speed internet service that they claim to have. She must have consistent internet service, including the speed that they claim to offer (and that we are paying for). Ironically, the third time a tech came out (Friday, Jan. 26—the day after we complained again), the internet was working as it should with no problems. This is one day out of three weeks, mind you. He said that no one had done anything differently to it. Not very reassuring, since we had just complained again the night before about this, and to find out that they didn’t make an effort to address the problem, and didn’t even send him out until later in the afternoon, given our stream of complaints for a week. Since on this particular day the tech found no problems, he told us just to monitor it for a few days and let them know if we have more problems. The very next day, our DSL was running the same subpar speed, sometimes less than half of what we are paying for. This makes me suspicious that perhaps they tweaked the system since they knew that a tech was coming out again. However, as we figured, we continue to have inadequate DSL service. Apparently, if they can have the DSL running as it should one day, they should be able to do so on a consistent basis. There are no other options for internet DSL service in our particular area. Windstream needs to provide us with the service they claim to have, or they need to step aside and let companies who can provide consistent, reliable internet service come into the area. As a matter-of-fact, I would like to find out if this is possible. Perhaps if Windstream had competition, they would be more inclined to ensure that their customers are getting the service they are paying for. Regardless, it is now that my wife needs reliable internet service, and whether this was personal or business, they need to provide what they advertise. We have neighbors that are also disgusted with the lack of service Windstream is providing. They are extremely upset about this, as well, as they have a home business that also relies on internet access. As it stands, Windstream’s service is unacceptable, and cannot continue in this manner. I don’t see how legally they can get away with charging customers top dollar for service, and then not fixing problems that are brought to their attention. Either they are incapable of fixing the problem, or they don’t really care. My wife must have consistent, fast DSL service in order to do her job. And if Windstream cannot-- or will not-- provide this service and do everything they can to ensure that we are getting it, then we will do what we have to in order to ensure that they do. This is my wife’s career that Windstream is affecting, and we will pursue this relentlessly, until they provide the type of service they are supposed to. Any assistance that you would give us in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

Sincerely,
Thomas E. Fontaine

• Windstream Communications's response · Jul 28, 2016

We are sorry to hear of your issues with your broadband service. We take matters like yours seriously and want to resolve your issues. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected] with your Windstream number, a number you can be reached and the issues you are experiencing and we would be happy to assist you.

• Updated by Madelyn Bates · Jul 28, 2016

Galileo
    Please accept our apologies for the issues you have experienced. Our Technical Support is located in the US and has been since September 2008. If you need Technical Assistance you can reach them at 888-272-3827 24/7. If you have questions regarding your account please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected]

Windstream Customer Support

• Windstream Communications's response · Aug 11, 2016

We are sorry to hear of your recent Windstream experience. We take matters like yours seriously and want to resolve your issue with service issues. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm est. You may also email us at [email protected]

• Re
    Reginald E. Johnson Mar 16, 2007

I have had this service for about a month and a half. I cannot believe the terrible service that I am receiving, I've called Windstream on numerous occasions and have had techs out four times. The techs say "we only had a two-day class on this stuff", they really do not know how to fix their own equipment but the company is quick to send a bill in the mail. I am paying for 3.0 also, I usually get 1.0-2.0 during the day but I only get 300-500kbps in the afternoon. I am no expert at this but it seems to me that the problem is where the connections from the area meet or not enough repeaters or amplifiers in the fiber optic cable every so many miles which is required for fiber-optics that travel great distances. If another company comes through my area like cable, I am dropping Windstream altogether. This company is complete garbage, it shows in their customer service and in their techs. I have been waiting for them to come by again for two day's now, when I called last night they said that my ticket was closed, WHAT? They say that it must have been closed by accident. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Andrew Langewisch Mar 20, 2007

Three days out of the last month, Windstream DSL has been down. My computer is not the problem, as I will test the connection with a desktop and a laptop. Two were Sundays and last evening, March 19th. Don't they have a 24/7 service commitment?

Interestingly, I can get dialup service still, although last night it was at 14.4 kbs.

Is anyone else experiencing such trouble?

• Sc
    Scott Tuck Mar 26, 2007

18882923827 is their 24/7 number... Repeaters and Amplifiers really aren't that common in the DSL you have the Central office equipment that connects to the Dsl Pin then connects to a cable... Normally that runs into a Cross box that the service can go different directions... So if the CO equip is bad or you have a faulty pin or a bad cable it could cause slower speeds.. also it depends on the distance you are away from your remote or CO... One thing you may try is typing in 127.0.0.0 and reset your isp... That should help with the packet loss...

• De
    Debby Bodie May 25, 2007

I just want to say "I HAVE HAD POOR QUALITY/SLOW DSL SPEED" from Windstream DSL service since the cold day in Dec. 05 when I signed up for the service... Thanks, I wanted to get that off my chest and now I know I am not the only one out there with this $#%*&!!! problem...

• Dw
    D.W. Dutcher Oct 10, 2007

Thomas,

I have had the same experience with Windstream. It has escalated over the past three years to the point where the company has begun to "cram" our bills. We were over billed almost $200 last month. The number of months we have had service for the entire month I can count on one hand. I work from home some days and my significant other relies heavily on our Internet service for her work as a designer. When we moved to this location (about 40 mins. outside of Atlanta, one of the largest cities in the U.S.) the company was Alltel. The service was so poor we actually canceled the account and tried to use VOIP and DirecWay for phone/Internet service. This didn't work so, because there isn't another provider in the area (40 mins outside of a large U.S. major city), we were forced to resume our sentence with Alltel/Windstream. When we asked the company to repair our service they sent out a surly, elderly man who left all of his spare cable, tape, etc in the yard when he left (like 50' of coiled cable and the rest just laying in the grass waiting for my lawnmower). Every service call I have had over the past three years have resulted in the same kind of unaccountable finger-pointing you previously described. My most recent mistake with Windstream was bundling my Dish service with my Windstream service. Though the charges are handled by Dish the actual billing is handled by Windstream. So, if you somehow had some clarification as to what your monthly bill from Dish was actually supposed to be, you couldn't pay them directly anymore. You would have to pay Windstream the amount they think you should pay, not the amount Dish thinks you should pay.

Yuck.

• Je
    Jeff Oct 13, 2007

Windstream used to be Alltel until some yahoo decided that the two should somehow find each other in a pool of primordial ooze and merge. All the while that I had Alltel I never experienced any problems whatsoever. They ran a tight DSL. Now Windstream comes hopping along. I was graciously allowed to keep my Alltel e-mail inbox, but was not allowed to enjoy the same trouble free service I got with Alltel. About every 7 days, almost like clockwork, my Windstream DSL connection is trashed. I lose everything. No mail. No browsing. No nothing but a flashing green light on the modem reminding me the modem is no longer communicating with the outside world. And it stays this way. Rebooting does not help at all. The only way I can get my DSL connection back is by completely uninstalling and reinstalling the Speedstream modem and network mojo. Only then does everything work again. Don't even try contacting Windstream. If you try posting a problem on their site, when your connection is working, you will be told to first create an account. This is stupid because you're suppose to ALREADY HAVE A FREAKING ACCOUNT! If you e-mail them directly you will be told to call technical support. If you call you will be handed to someone who speaks only Romulan. If another DSL provider hits your area don't hesitate in changing over to them!

• Sh
    Shawn Merrill Nov 12, 2007

Man we pay for 3.o service, and all I get is ~250kb/s, Thats on a good day too!!!

• Lo
    Louis Gaddis Nov 13, 2007

It is funny that They can make it work for a few days after spending 3 and one half hours on the phone with a tech, who mutters enough English to cause you to have to have them repeat every sentence over and over until you teach them another few words of English. This is slower than Dial Up Stupid AOL and I hate that outfit.

I agree with the other postings they are 100% right. You can also note that their service is worse at PEAK TIME PERIODS when the Kids are in from school. They should have ENOUGH Equipment to handle the High Volume periods. CAN ANYONE DO ANY THING to HELP?

SEEMS ALL COMPANIES get your SIGNATURE THEN LAUGH AT YOU FOR BEING SUCH A FOOL.

Dan W. Nov 23, 2007

Windstream sucks BIG TIME!! Not only their broadband which took me 3 days to get fixed after talking to Indians(on weekends). They tried blaming it on MY computer..when it ended up being a software issue on their end.

NNow my phone line is laying on the middle of the road..so I call and they can't come for a WEEK! I kid you not. I tried explaining it has almost caused an accident several times but they don't care.

WINDSTREAM SUCKS BIG TIME!!

• Gr
    Greg K. Nov 25, 2007

I am both glad and saddened to see that I am not alone when dealing with the blight that is Windstream.

I have been using Windstream's "broadband" for just under a month now, and while it was a great when it was first installed, the DSL signal that allows high-speed connections simply disappeared - like we never had the service in the first place. I have called their "support" offices, and after acting like I cared about what the person on the other end of the line was saying, they said they will be sending another technician to fix our problem, saying that we would be charged if said technician had to "enter our premIses" (he pronounced it prem-eye-sis, showing how well-trained the technical support is). I had to politely remind him my account was under the coverage of their Protection Package.

When I said another, I did not make a typo. I have had to deal with Windstream's "service" ever since my Alltel landline-based services was renamed to Windstream. My phone line has been filled with static ever since the beginning, and nothing has been done over the ENTIRE YEAR that we have been paying them.

As such, I have come to this conclusion about Windstream: If I ever end up in another area where Windstream is the only service provider, I will very likely abandon the means of landline-based telecommunication, use satellite internet, and just use a cellphone to call people.

I have been raised to say at least one good thing about bad people/companies/stuff, so here it is:

The technician that gets sent out here for our troubles is very likable, and seems to know what he's doing.

• Do
    Don Sidle Nov 26, 2007

I also have wind stream dsl and have only had a top speed of 1.73 out of 3.0 in 1 1/2 years. My net service also cuts out every night at 3am. As soon as my contract is up I'm going back to cable. I'm tired of the non-English speaking tech. Help, welcome to America, speak the language or get out.

Tiffany Nov 26, 2007

We have had Windstream DSL since Friday. It is now Monday. I have run a speed test using various websites and have only once gotten over the 2000 KBPS. The usual is about 900 KBPS. I have called tech support and they put a ticket in on Sunday and said a service person would be out Monday morning SHARP! I called Monday afternoon at 2 pm ( this afternoon) because no tech yet. They said the ticket had been resolved on their end, they check the switch room etc. and no problem. I said no way, I have been speed testing all day and I have gotten consistently low numbers. They said OK and escalated the ticket and said someone would be out tomorrow. I have had low numbers and the service has completely shut down at least three times a day since getting it Friday. I hope they can fix this and SOON. My father is a phone man for Iowa TElecom and he said it is DEFINITELY on the hardware side, as in the cable pair that runs between my house and the closest box and then onto the Local switch room.

No who, I'll update when I get some answers...

• Ly
    Lynne Gudes Dec 07, 2007

I am curious where in the country all of you are located. We are in north central New Mexico. I often get less than 1/10th of the maximum rate. Does anyone know if there is a MINIMUM kbps they promise. I notice on the speed tests it says "SPEEDS UP TO" 1500 or 3000 kbps. Does this mean they have permission to deliver speeds of.. (I am not kidding here guys, this is their own speed test) 33kbps?

Using there speed test program, I get 33kbps while there are teling me it looks "Just fine." ... and don;t get me started on teh tech support in India. Arghh!!

Anybody had any luck talking to the PUC.

• La
    Lawrence L. Smith Dec 17, 2007

I recently got DSL (2 1/2 months ago) and had numerous problems with getting the service hooked up and then they overbilled me and have added other aditional charges that I was never informed of in the first place. I have had to call them every month when I get my bill to dispute the charges and incorrect billing. I never had any problems until my provider changed from Alltel to Windstream. I am also tired of talking to overseas operators who can't speak english nor can understand english or they want to sell me a service I don't want or they say teh problem is on my end and everytime it was proven to be an issue with their crap. I was so fed up that I just filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office because I feel many others are being scammed as well.

none Dec 27, 2007

I work in infosec so I have to write a lot of policies and agreement contracts. You should really all look at your service agreements you signed and see if they list a minimum service requirement of some kind. It should be some kind of minimum speed that they insure you will get. If they aren't including that in the contract then it is likely that they knew from the start they couldn't provide what they promised.

If this is the case you should look into canceling your internet and resubscribing to get a new service agreement, and don't just sign whatever they ask if you don't like it mark through stuff and correct it but make sure to initial your corrections. That way you aren't agreeing to pay a premium price for a low grade product.

I work for a major company that provides internet services and this is my best recommendation, also tell them to send you to a higher tier of tech support until you get to someone that knows whats going on, those indian guys you talk to are just reading a standard troubleshooting manual.

• Do
    Donald Duck Dec 30, 2007

Ever hear about the( PSC )Public Service Commission give them a call the phone companies with jump through hoops to statisfya complanint logged with the PSC.

I at one time use to work for Alltel before they became Windstream. We have several problems that exisit with this company. Years ago they use to preform mantenance on the outside plant fixing bad spots in the underground and aerial cables. They stopped this practice to save on cost. You as a customer are paying for this with bad service. Many of the customers have hum's and static on the line they have learned to live with. Then you have the light trouble on the lines you can't hear but will effect the signal for your DSL. I found that over 50 percent of the trouble for DSL is in the cable. When you get a tech that really doesn't know what the problem is, its easier to blame it on the customers equipment.

The other issue is Alltel and Windstream do not train all of there people in the use of the test equipment for running the trouble. They will train a few then have them pass on information to others. This saves them money in training. What you get is a lack of training and the techs struggle.

Windstream came out and told all of its people we are about the sells first customers last. Ever wonder why you get hit so hard on sells? Customer service has become a thing of the past with them. They want the sells to help keep up the stocks. Keeping the stock holders happy

As a customer the only recourse you have to get the job done is to complain to the PSC with governs the Utilitiy companies every state has one. Phone companies do not want you to know this info it can stop them from getting rate increases if compaint are not resolved.

mike riggs Jan 28, 2008

I got Alltel dsl 3 yrs ago and my 1.5 speed was just fine. Then wind stream came in the picture and the speed started getting slower and slower, then I upgraded to 3.0 and had a lot faster dsl line for 3 months. Then it started allover again the ping time started getting slower. I call the tech rep many of time waiting hour at a time just to talk to someone that could speak proper English not India. They said the ping would get better on the 26 Jan 08 but as you can see ping time below that was a lie.( I live in Florida ) As a customer the only recourse you have to get the job done is to complain to the PSC with governs the Utility companies.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Pinging alltel.net [166.102.165.202] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 166.102.165.202: bytes=32 time=531ms TTL=55
    Reply from 166.102.165.202: bytes=32 time=605ms TTL=55
    Reply from 166.102.165.202: bytes=32 time=620ms TTL=55
    Reply from 166.102.165.202: bytes=32 time=774ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 166.102.165.202:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 531ms, Maximum = 774ms, Average = 632ms

Michael Mar 09, 2008

All these comments are making me consider the higher cost Satellite Internet Providers rather than wait for Windstream DSL to become available in my area.

Hughes Satellite Internet - http://www.hughesnet.com

WildBlue Internet - http://www.wildblue.com (my current preference from what I have read)

These are not recommended if you are a big online gamer due to heavy bandwidth. You are limited due to Fair Access Policy that I found told by Wildblue but not found told by Hughesnet:

From their website:
    Since WildBlue is a shared network, we have a Fair Access Policy to ensure that extraordinary usage by a few customers doesn't negatively affect the normal usage of other customers. For the vast majority of users, the Fair Access Policy has no effect on their usage. For a few very heavy bandwidth users, the system may restrict their bandwidth and therefore their speed. See WildBlue's Fair Access Policy.

I could not find this information advertised on the Hughesnet Website like I did on the WildBlue website, hmmmmmm, wonder why?

Windstream DSL is still not available in my area so I am still stuck with Dial-up and cannot provide feedback on thier service. I am considering Satellite Service.

Hope this helps with options.

Mitch Mar 21, 2008

Don't do Satellite Service, you'll be sorry, before you decide, read the many users who are complaining about both Hughes and WildBlue, aslo read the contract, it is insane, they want access to your bank account.

Most Satellite Service subscribers are upset because there service is not much faster than dial up, that is if it works at all. If you have a decent dial up speed, stick with it, if you need to, do your homework, , ,
    I too was about to sign up for a Satellite Service and I talked to a friend that had it, he told me it was the worst possible thing he has ever spent money on and that they were ripping his checking account off every month.
    BE WARNED!

• Ne
    Nelonco Apr 05, 2008

I ran across this as I was searching for answers to my own dsl issues. I too am in Windstream area with no other alternatives. Same as original complaint, service is terrible. I certainly don't get what I pay for. My speedtest are rarely over the Lite service and I pay for Ultra. At least once a week I have no service and have to reboot the modem. God only help me if it rains. I can definitely count on having no service. When I call tech support now, they are from another country, literally in another country. What's up with that. Often I am told they are not familiar but their supervisor will call me back to resolve this issue within an hour. Never get call backs, can never get back in touch with same tech. Unbelievable. I have another residence with Bellsouth/AT&T(now) dsl service and never have I had these issues with that service. I am totally frustrated with not having another option. I long for the day of the opportunity to have another ISP. Just to let you know I feel your pain!

Mitch Apr 06, 2008

The only way you can get any help is to somehow find the regional managers phone number.
    I was sole 3 megabit service, and after a few months of great service, it started becoming slow, ureliable
    and I was only getting 1 megabit if that, I complained to high heaven to the Windstream corporate people, this was before Tech Support (if you want to call it that) was shipped offshore to India and you could get an english speaking person on the phone, the tech kids they hire are trained to always consider any problem a customer has, the customers issue, somehow, out of the blue, the customers computer has decided to change all the settings in the modem and on the LAN card and that is why everything is messed up, or( I got this allot) spyware is causing the problem... Oh brother, anyway, the tech support is a total waste of time, I was lucky enough to get the local regional managers card from him when he came out find out why I cussed out one of the techs that was doing his best to find a problem in my house, wiring, filters, etc, I told him I don;t have time for this game and made him leave. I called and complained, another tech came out and he came with them, 4 more visits from 'tech teams' revealed that the problem was, NOT found in my house and it was (as I had been saying all along) a Windstream problem. Now I have a local tech's cell number and I am greatful to these people for doing their best to keep my service up and running at a decent speed. (2.5 out of 3.0 megabits) I have actually gotten billing to eliminate my DSL portion of the bill 4 different times because of bad service, this will get their attention as well. I have had to wait on hold for up to 36 minutes, I send an email with every problem, and resend it when I get the canned reply that basically says the problem is fixed...when they have done NOTHING whatsoever... but I have gotten fee reductions 4 times, this will get you an escalated status and may get you the help you need, it seems that that 30 bucks IS important to them if they don't get it. However, the bill now is coming with overcharges on it, so they are playing the rip-off game again, I am 1/2 mile away from COX cable and 10 megabit Service, the second COX adds my road to it's route, I will be dumping Windstream like a molten terd. This is corporate GREED at it's finest folks.. we need to stop these rip off communication companies from stealing our money and jobs, nuff said.

Chet Apr 17, 2008

Don't have phone, dsl or broadband thru Windstream, but I do have several email accounts. I used to have dial-up with CTC/VNET (Concord Telephone Company of NC) but gave the dial-up up after signing with Roadrunner. I kept my email accounts though. Windstream bought CTC and switched all CTC accounts over to Windstream recently. And, it has been all downhill since then. After they took over, I started getting quite a bit of spam. With CTC, I was able to build filters at the server level...and cleaned out a lot before it ever got to me. I called WS help line a few times, and never got anybody that was "comfortable" with English. I was told to email the spam as attachments to their "special" [email protected] address. But it's only gotten worse. Who knows what they do with it. Now, I'm being inundated with spam...over 250 in the last day and a half. It's like they opened the flood gates. Oh, and the filters I used to have thru CTC? The non-English major at tech support said they were all gone. The last suggestion he had was that I should be careful of who I give my email address to...Wow. If one of my email addresses wasn't one I use heavily in my business, I'd cut'em loose in a heart beat. If you haven't signed up with Windstream yet, run... run as fast as you can to any other provider. Windstream sucks!

• Je
    Jerry Johnson Apr 24, 2008

I was planing on comming with windstream internet in about a month, but after reading all these comments I don't think so, the biggest reason I wouldn't come with you is it sounds like customer service is over seas, that is a no no for me, after I bought my last dell computer they went over there and I will never buy another dell nothing, thanks but no thinks!

Tim Kelly Apr 29, 2008

I totally agree with the letter. This is happening with business DSL as well. I have two locations that are stuck with these clowns and they have ridiculous Customer Server, Technical Support and overall business attitude/processes.

Tim Kelly
    IT Systems Manager

• Il
    ILDI GUIGNETTE May 09, 2008

I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH SENDING E-MAIL. I ALWAYS GET A POP UP SAYING THERE IS A PROBLEM AND I NEED TO RESOVE THIS ISSUE. WHEN I DO, I ALWAYS GET AN ANSWER SAYING EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE. THIS POP UP COMES UP ALL THE TIME. EVERY TIME I GO TO MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND EVERYTIME SOMEONE HAS SENT ME AN E-MAIL. I ALWAYS GO TO MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS BEFORE I GO TO ANY SITE. I NEED TO KNOW IF MY E-MAIL IS GETTING THROUGH OR NOT BECAUSE SOMETIMES IT DOES AND SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T AND EACH TIME I HAVE THE POP UP. CAN YOU HELP THANK YOU! VERY DISCOURAGED.

Chris May 12, 2008

I just got Windstream DSL setup a few days ago. The Tech had to run a temporary line and the DSL was blazing fast. A main line was connected and DSL speed was cut in half. I called the service department and the Tech came out the next day. After doing some tests and even re-connecting the temporary line, the speed was still cut in half. The Tech checked it and said I was receiving the 1.5mb package and new I had ordered the 3.0mb package. I called to have this corrected and it has not been corrected yet. I started out with 3.0mb, I'm paying for 3.0mb so that's what I should be receiving. Most customers would not know they're paying for a higher package and not receiving it. I'm sure this is a common practice with the company.

• Kr
    kristy May 12, 2008

A windstream representative called me to offer a switch from my Comcast to windstream, so I could bundle my phone and internet. Multiple times I asked about fees and she said the only fee I would encounter was for the modem but I could get a rebate for that. But to my surprise when I got the bill, fees, fees, fees. I called a phone rep and she explained all the “one-time” fees. I understand there are one time fees, but the original representative should have told me about these one- time fees, so I wouldn’t be shocked when I received my bill. If I knew about all these fees I would have never switched. The service is really slow and not worth the hassle of switching providers. My previous provider had horrible customer service but at least my connection was not slow. I wish I never switched :/

david May 17, 2008

i have had windstream for almost 2 years now and have never had a speed over 200kbps before i had windstream i had roadrunner and never got a speed over 500kbps but that was great but anyway i hate windstream although i haven't lost connection in the past 2 months but still i download stuff a lot and even if i didn't 10 hours is way too long to wait for a 12mb file

david May 17, 2008

also i have just found out that they do no state a minimum speed which sucks i guess they intended for people to be unhappy with them

• Li
    Lisa Jun 07, 2008

Just an FYI... Windstream considers getting 65% of your DSL package speed to be acceptable.

I have had problems off and on with Windstream over the past few months. Two weeks ago, I upgraded to 6 mbps service; like some others who have complained, I work from home, and my income depends on having reliable service. I've probably lost at least a week's worth of work in the last couple of months. All they ever say is "sorry" -- no credits to my bill, nothing. Anyway... I upgraded to 6 mbps, and they disconnected my service. It was off for several days; I even placed a trouble ticket, talked to a tech on the phone, and finally, after a second call to tech support, they said it was a "billing issue". This was Memorial Day weekend, Friday night. I called billing on Saturday, and they said that I hadn't been disconnected, and didn't know why they'd say that. They transferred me to tech support, who said billing had pushed through the problem and they would get my service back up and running. They confirmed it was to be the 6 mbps service.

I haven't gotten more than 1.5 mbps since then. I placed another complaint 4 days ago, asking why I wasn't getting my 6 mbsp service; so now, I have *no* service at all. It got dropped over 24 hours ago, they claim to be working on it, but won't guarantee that it's fixed before next Monday night. (It's now Saturday.)

If there were an alternative, I'd be there in a flash. I have to wonder how many rural areas Windstream serves, and screws over, because there's no alternative.

Mike Reeves Jun 16, 2008

I must agree with this complaint, because we just got Windstream DSL in our area about a month and a half ago. A lot of the people in my area jumped on it, and every last one of us are not happy with the service.
    Our problems seem to be the same as everyone else here, we are not getting what we are paying for. I signed up for the 1.5Mbps speed and I have been running speed tests almost every day and while some days I may get an hour at about 1Mbps most of the time I only get 300 to 400 Kbps, yet there are also times when it reaches 28-80Kbps. Most of my neighbors signed up for the 3Mbps service and they all report similar speeds.
    Every time we call Tech Support we have to run through all the same tests before the tech will put in a repair ticket. And while the DSL speed is horrible my largest complaint with Windstream is the that they outsourced their Tech Support to India. While I have nothing against this(It is a cost effective idea), I just don't want to deal with a person who I have trouble understanding.
    The Simple truth is that if any of us ran a company the same way Windstream is running theirs, it would go out of business within a week. Too Bad they are the only choice here.

• Gr
    Greg Forest Jun 25, 2008

Windstream in my area is cutting back on more than just maintenance of their network - they are laying off employees right and left. Typical corporate merger - take two crappy companies, combine them and then utilize the greatest inefficiencies of both. Want to save money? Make sure your call center is in Bangladesh. Make sure that you make any real face-to-face or voice-to-voice contact practically impossible for the customer. And for heaven's sake - don't spend any money upgrading the digital infrastructure - that costs too much.

As an example - it took like three minutes this morning for this page to come up completely. I can move data faster with a hand crank.

But this doesn't mean they have no customer service. They have made things much easier getting support when they have their support people answer like this:

"Hello, this is Robert, how can I help you today?"

instead of:

"Hello, this is Bagaramadishnyana, how can I help you today?"

THAT is Windstream customer support at its best!

• Ki
    Kitty Jun 27, 2008

This is 100% my complaint as well. I have been trying to upgrade from 3mbps to 12mbps since May. They started billing me but the change never kicked in. I kept calling overseas - whatever you do - DON"T SWEAR!! They understand those words. My husband was in the background and said one not so bad swear word, we were supposedly on hold, and this guy, Victor (yea right), comes on telling us not to use that kind of language blah, blah, blah. We said, quit eavesdropping we are supposed to be on hold!

Needless to say, I was able to get through to someone in the U.S. by going to the billing department and she connected me to a girl. At first the girl was like, how did you get my number - did someone transfer you? But then she helped me in like 10 minutes. Or so I thought.

I got a recording today that the change had completed. Then I LOST my connection all together. I had to go back through the modem/router upgrade for about the 5th time. It said it was successful so I did a speed test, which I found on Windstream's site (so they couldn't even blame the problem on the test). Nick the international tech dept. says he tested my speed and it's 12mbps. I said well I am testing barely 3 right from your site.

Nick has the nerve to make up this one that he pulled out of his you know what...how long is the phone line that the dsl is connected to? I said, you're kidding right? It's the one your installer gave me when he came out! So he said well, it's either to long or has a break in it somewhere. I said well it's funny that it tested 3 all last week and all this week and that's what I was paying for. Now I am paying for 12 but it's still testing 3!!

I hung up on him because he kept mumbling and I was like I can't understand you are you saying yes, uhh, what? Take your fingers out of your mouth!!!

I think I am going to call back to billing and see if they can connect me again. I was supposed to have a follow up call from the Resolution Dept. but I am wondering if that was the recording I got earlier today.

I find it funny that you get a PERFECT ENGLISH SPEAKING AMERICAN when you want to sign up for their crappy service, but once they have you FORGET IT! You'll never get and English speaking tech again.

I wish anyone luck who is thinking about going with Windstream for DSL - I get a better connection of my Verizon Card (which I am on right now!).

Mike Jul 17, 2008

We've had Windstream for about a year. The cable on the tv in the basement, which was set up to run off of the receiver on the second floor, only worked for about a week. Our phone lines have quit a few times. Right now, I have no dial tone. Last time this happened, it was for almost 2 days, then suddenly it worked again.

I was used to growing up with regular cable, it sucks that everytime it rains and storms, I lose the TV.

Mike B Jul 23, 2008

Crappiest internet ever? Probably so. We started out with this service when it was Alltel and it was great. It never failed to work and even after the company merged and became Windstream, we still got decent service (we still had the modem from Alltel). However, one fateful night lightning struck our house ruining my wireless router and our old, faithful modem. So we gave Alltel (now Windstream) a call. They asked if the modem had been plugged into a surge protector (it had been, along with the router, these things are too expensive to not try and protect). We told them it was and they told us they'd send us a new modem free of charge. We waited about three days and got the new modem in the mail. It was smaller than our old one but it looked and felt cheaper. Instantly I had a sense of foreboding that things were not going to be like they were. Of course my router was ruined but I wasn't going to let that ruin my online experience, I'd just have to make do with wired internet until I could get a new one. Well, from the very first day I had problems. The setup, which should have been no problem at all for me, turned out to be so much of a hassle that I had to call their tech support. They were next to no help at all, providing me with information that was basically useless. In the end I had to figure it out on my own anyway. Well, after I got everything set up and 'working' I began surfing the internet. It wasn't two hours before I started getting the old 'Connection Failed' error screen in Firefox. I restarted the computer and still got the error message, so I decided to give Windstream another call, to see if they could fix this problem. I got a different 'tech' this time and he told me to shut down my computer, unplug my modem, wait 10 minutes and then plug it back in and turn the computer back on. I tried that and it worked again for a while but it wasn't long before it failed again. I called AGAIN and they had me check a few things on my end. Everything seemed to be fine for ME, but they started 'tests' to determine what, if anything, was wrong at their end. Well, it was about this time that my internet started inexplicably working again. The guy told me that there were no problems at their end and that my internet should be working. I told him it had started working while they were running their tests.
    Well, about a month and a million signal losses later, I picked up another wireless router, similar to the one I'd had before. I hooked it up and everything seemed good until the next morning. I got on my laptop and lo and behold I had no signal from my router. I called Windstream yet again, to get the classic 'try unplugging it and then plugging it back in' response. Well, I did that and it worked fine for the rest of that day. But again, the next morning it had lost the signal. I again did the unplug/replug thing and found I had fresh signal. This still goes on and I'll have to reconfigure or unplug/replug my router from time to time. I'm tired of dealing with the inadequate tech support that Windstream provides and I won't call them again unless I'm telling them to **** off and that I'm going with someone else (if I ever get the oppurtunity that is)

Ps. I apologize for the narrative.

tim Jul 23, 2008

here is what I would like to about windstream..They are horrible...You cannot call and get a rep on the phone without sitting thru 4 min of voice prompts.I recently sent a payment to windstream and altel gave me the money back because of an incorrect account number?I canx my internet and 4 months later they finally adjusted my bill.They are the worst com in the world and they make my blood boil

• Ra
    Ran Jul 30, 2008

Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Net..WINDSTREAM??Windstream can't take on one cloud in the sky..One slightly cloudy day and your internet is on off on off on off on off...Cheap Service

• Iv
    ivco home Aug 07, 2008

IVCO Home Inspection

Thursday, August 7, 2008
    Windstream DSL

Has anyone had problems like I have? My DSL service was cut off even though my bill was current. When I called customer service I was told yes it was turned off but we don't know why. The girl at Windstream told me she could fix this but it would be about 7 hours before service would be restored. WHAT I need to access my email and I missed an online class this morning!
    OK sir we can try to get back on within the hour.
    I asked the girl from Windstream what happened she said she didn't know. I told her I was very upset that this happened, And she said "so what do you want me to do about it"
    So what if I missed a class, So what if I had to drive to the library to check my email.
    Windstream has us by the ba##'s and they know it.
    AH I feel better (NOT REALLY)
    I hope no one else has to loose a day of productivity because of Windstream DSL.
    Posted by ivcohome at 7:27 AM 0 comments
    Labels: DSL, georgia, poor service, windstream

• Te
    Ted Wells Aug 15, 2008

Windstream Tech support SUCKS! They are overseas non English speaking dumbasses. They have no clue if you can actually receive their service but they will tell you they can. I was on the phone with Tech support for over 3 weeks trying to upgrade to 6MB, only to be told they do not offer 6mb in my area. It took them 3 weeks to figure this out.

Go with Comcast - 24 hour tech support - In the US!

Speeds up to 16mb!

WINDSTREAM SUCKS!

• Cl
    Clayton Satellite Aug 20, 2008

HUGHESNET has just released the new hn9000. It is way faster than the older systems. I am a local dealer and have installed 30 so far and the new system is great. Cant get dsl or having problems? Give us a call Clayton Satellite 706-969-2318