Windstream Communications Logo

Windstream Communications

Having problems with Windstream Communications?

+1 800 347 1991 (Customer Service)
+1 800 481 5441 (Online Order Status)
+1 866 445 8084 (Order Support, Sales)
+1 800 537 7755 (Financial Services Department)
+1 855 439 2889 (Business Class Services)
+1 800 600 5050 (Enterprise Customer Support)
+1 866 375 6040 (Windstream Wholesale)
4001 N Rodney Parham Rd
Little Rock, Arkansas
United States - 72212-2442

Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] stealing and extorting from their customers

I have Windstream broadband and was experiencing a noisy thus slow internet connection.

Windstream tech came out to check Windstream's side of the line and found no problems.

Windstream tech asked me if I would like for him to come inside to determine if there was a problem from within the home.

I asked the tech if there would be a charge for him troubleshooting from within the home. Tech said yes there would be a charge if he came in to troubleshoot so I declined and the tech left.

Well the next bill comes due and there is an additional $50 charge.

A Windstream customer no-service person by the name of Angel at ext. 2712 answered my next call. I simply asked to be provided with the written policy detailing the justification for the $50 service call on my bill. Angel indicated there was no written policy detailing why I was charged $50. I then said that I will not pay an arbitrary charge. I also said that I will not continue to do business with anyone that robs their customers. Angel then said she would be happy to send me to the person responsible for disconnecting customers. Of course I will be leaving Windstream but I pressed the written policy once again. I demanded to be sent any written information that could possibly express the rational for the charge. Angel insisted that there was no written policy specifically providing for the charge on the internet or anywhere else but that she would have her manager email me "info" within the hour.

An hour has gone by and no written policy justifying the charge has been emailed.

Windstream is criminal. Canceling my account shortly.

• Windstream Communications's response · Sep 28, 2010

We are sorry to hear of your recent Windstream experience. We take matters like yours seriously and want to resolve your Broadband issue. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected]

nobodyimportante Sep 28, 2010

I have already attempted to resolve this issue with a Mandy Fulbright at : [email protected]

Why should I call Windstream and waste my time again?

The following was written to her on 9/13/10 with absolutely no response:

Thank you for responding Mandy. I did not think I would get a response in light of Angel's unprofessional behavior. Angel really should consider another line of work outside of customer service. I would think that Angel would do marvelous in Windstream's cancellation department. Forward my recommendation to the executive level.

I am now in "fact finding" mode regarding this $50 charge. Hereinafter, I will refer to the "policy" as being understood to mean, "A minimum non-recurring charge will apply for each repair visit to a customer's premises where it is determined that the difficulty was due to a condition in the customer-provided equipment. ".

1. Exactly where did you acquire this policy information you have sent me? You have not cited a source.

2. Has this policy be made publicly available so that customers can make informed decisions regarding line checks?

3. When did this policy go into effect?

4. Why have I never been made aware of said policy by mail, email, or from the CS rep that arranged for a lineman to check Windstream's LAN line to my home?

5. Perchance you could show me how Windstream has in good faith attempted to make me aware of said "policy".

6. Can you provide me with the contract or the terms and conditions I signed prior to the service call in question and agreeing to the following condition? :

Your answers to these questions will better help me to understand my obligations regarding this instant matter.

Your help will be greatly appreciated,

Dan

PS

You should be aware of what the ongoing Windstream customer service failure looks like. Please peruse the following sites and remember that these complaints are at most 1% of the total:

• Ga
    Gary101wa Apr 21, 2012

I just had worse experience with windstream I have only been getting .39 mbps on my internet speed test. I also have tested other ways like fastest download has been 50kbps which is super slow like dial up speeds this is dsl anyways i called people were rude and even hung up on me. Suddenly 2 windstream vans come act like they are helping and turn my phone and internet completely off and left this is on a friday leaving me with no chose but to go monday and get time warner I will also break all equipment they provided I paid my bill on time never been late over 300 dollars a month for my ### bundle and they do me like this I typed this using my virgin mobile 3g which is been faster than windstreams dsl sad can't even play my battlefield online I hate windstream everyone should leave them customer service is everything besides comcast is faster google it.

[Resolved] unauthorized billing for third party

Windstream has billed me the last two months for Laurentel. I have never had a business transaction of any sort with this company, and have never been approached by Laurentel for any sort of transaction. In fact I never knew they existed until they placed a monthy fee of $8.23 on my windstream bill. I called windstream customer service and was told by Mike that there was nothing that windstream could do and if I didn't pay the$ 8.23 I would be billed for the same thing next month unless I could get a refund and have it stopped by Laurentel myself. I don't understand why windstream would steal from their customers for Laurentel. They must be getting a good percentage of what they collect for the third party billing.

• Windstream Communications's response · Sep 07, 2010

[Resolved] service

What idiots!!! I have a digital package with Windstream Cable. I phoned them on July 2 to report an inability to receive the "premium digital" channels in my package. They said someone would fix it; however, they could not tell me when they would come - date or time - so I would just have to sit and wait. They also couldn't give a call saying they were on their way, and they had no ability to contact the people in the field - and they don't work weekends. When I called after the weekend to say I still hadn't received the channels, they said the repair guy said it was fixed. When I asked how he knew this when no one had checked with me, they couldn't answer. Again, they said they would send someone. This time, someone actually came and looked at my connections. His response "I've never seen this before." He said he would have to check further down the line. It was almost 5:00 at this point, and he said it might be the next day before he could do it. When I asked if I needed to be home, he said "no." Imagine my surprise when I returned home several days later (this is a vacation home), and it still wasn't receiving the channels. When I called cusomter "no" service, they said the repair guy said it was fixed. This time they said they would put in a "service order" rather than a "work order" which meant I would have priority. Again, no one came. When we left the house the next day, we found a note on the door saying the guy had come by at 4:00 p.m. My husband and I were both home and near the front door at the time when he says he came. The only thing we can figure is that he didn't use the door bell!! So I'm now going on 18 days without the additional channels. When I called today, they offered no apologies and simply said they would put in another service call and once again they couldn't tell me when - date or time - the person would come. If you have alternatives for service, you should definitely use them instead of Windstream. They have no customer service and their repair people are apparently incompetent (or liars).

• Windstream Communications's response · Jul 27, 2010

We are sorry to hear of your recent Windstream experience. We take matters like yours seriously and want to resolve your cable issue. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected]

• Ro
    Ronald J Ledkins Jun 04, 2012

I have had their no service twice in the past three years. The last time was less than one month and it cost me 96.00 dollars this is what happens when there is no compition. This was DSL only.

[Resolved] transfer service

Windstream had messed up my service during transfer from one address to another address, how hard is that to do! I had all my services bundle, and they were to transfer all, they had messed it up and debundled my package with Dish, I have always payed my bill, did not receive bill untill one month into new home, then came the bill 370.00 because windstream debundle my package with dish so know I have been told that I have to pay for Windstreams mistake, THIS IS WRONG!!!

• Windstream Communications's response · Jun 14, 2010

internet billing

Oh my windstream is a rip off they deceive customers the customer service for new bundles told me and yes I have over 50 taped messages as a new customer that for $49.99 total yes total high speed at a 6mg well guess what try 4 3 1 speed for download I have been lick with a few employees that made it right with me named dylan in customer care as I got a bill for 100 for net for 6 speed when I was told no charge and thats what it was suppose to be to begin with for 49.99 a month the georia and carolina employees are most of them polite I have has some so rude and they had a major oopppsss here they were upgrading the 911 service guess what the state had no 911 service for a day and half

• Wi
    Windstream Customer 09 Mar 31, 2011

"We are sorry to hear of your recent Windstream experience. We take matters like yours seriously and want to resolve your issue. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected]"

Damn, why don't you send people to 1-877-316-4077 first whenever they have a complaint or problem dealing with the regular, beyond-poor, Windstream Customer Service numbers. Luckily, this 1-877-316-4077 exists. It's just too bad that it takes hours on end to get something actually rectified when it comes to over billing and poor service on Windstream's part. It's just a miracle that there are a few decent people working in the Windstream complaint department and sad that the front line is so devoid of them. Call 1-877-316-4077 if you have a complaint against Windstream. Hopefully, they can help you like they did for me; even thought it took several calls over a couple of months to get Windstream to admit to their mistakes of trying to charge me 59.99 for a service that is advertised at 39.99 by claiming that I live in an area that calls for the higher price. It helps that I called back and recorded the agent quoting the 39.99 price for service in "my" area and neighborhood. Call 1-877-316-4077 if you have a complaint against Winstream for poor service or blatant flash advertising. Again, the number is 877-316-4077. Maybe, this will help others like it finally helped me. 877-316-4077

[Resolved] do not do business with these thieves

We signed up with Windstream 's "bundle" packages; phone, internet, satellite last August. Free set up, etc promised. First bill comes $800 plus...call and get the "Oh, it's this fee, that fee, " etc. Think it's straightened out until the next bill comes and there are more "fees." Start-up, receivers, modems..anything they can think of to charge you for they did. Still have to call (and spend literally HOURS on the phone each call) and try to fix it. Then satellite service is shabby...call to report a defective receiver that gives me overheating notices. Through a miscommunication, they shut my service OFF!! Plus Windstream is billing me for the 3 free months of HD, HBO and Cinemax service!! This is an ONGOING problem. Dish credits me for the "mistake" 4 free months of service...do you know what Windstream does? THEY TAKE THE CREDITS FROM DISH AND APPLY IT TO THE "PAST DUE" BALANCE I DON'T EVEN OWE. It's all the services they said were FREE! Over and over again I have been told it's been taken care of. All I have is 5 months of MONEY-SHIFTING. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WINDSTREAM!! THEY ARE THEIVES!!

• Windstream Communications's response · Sep 28, 2010

• Ef
    efw Oct 29, 2010

I was looking at comments to see if this is the company to meet my internet and phone needs. At this point my decision is "no" since I reviewed a lot of complaints and this company seems not to be as responsive as I would desire for them having a mountain of issues that need solutions. Signed - changed mind

• Un
    united insurance May 31, 2013

The complaint number don't work like the rest of the company I had a install set up a month ago for today 5-31-2013 and oh yea they dropped the ball and cant do install till 6-4-2013 We are moving our business and was promised it would be a smooth transition but now we may lose thousands and they don't care. I would not recommend this company I wish they had a complaint line but there own number don't work POOR SERVICE!!!

bunch of liars

I had a phone bill the previous month of approx. $113 for phone, internet and TV. This month they sent a bill of approx. $324 claiming that they performed some services which were not done as my spouse told them the request was cancelled. This cancellation was apparently never relayed to the billing department from the service department. The added $120 for service fees which were never done and were requested to be cancelled.

How can a company be so stupid and get things all out of order on a simple service as a phone bill??? I have yet to find anyone at Windstream to admit that they made a HUGE mistake. We need some advocacy group to take this complaint all the way to the State Attorney Generals office.

they lie to their customers and steal their money

A phone call solicitation resulted in my agreeing to the $49.99 lock-in bundle for phone and internet, plus $9.99 for an additional phone line. I was promised that the first 30 days would be free and that the first bill would reflect a $50 rebate and a mail-in $50 rebate for the wireless modem. Then I got a bill for $214. A call to the Buffalo area number, where the order was placed, resulted in my being assured that I was not told the above and that the mail-in rebate was all that they offered. When I talked to a supervisor, I was given the same answer. The local Jamestown, NY billing office seems to be innocent of deception.

don't believe the quotes that dish or windstream give you in their bundles

Don’t believe the quotes that DISH or WINDSTREAM give you in their bundles. They will give you a low quote, tell you that you will get a DVR, 4 rooms in HD, and once it is all installed and you are under contract…here come the hidden costs that nobody told you about. They will charge you an extra - $10 for the HD, and $7 for each receiver and DVR. So your total each month will be at least $24 higher than they quoted you, but now you are locked into a two year contract and screwed. Stay with cable. No contracts!

• Mu
    mufinuj Feb 22, 2011

I got a quote of $101 for the Windstream/Dish Network Bundle. How much is my monthly bill? I am being billed $164 on my first full bill. That includes 1 PPV movie (PG-13), $19 for a modem, and about $38 in taxes and "fees." When I get the modem paid off in six months it will drop to about $145 (as long as I don't order any more movies). I'm under contract so I can't cancel without a penalty. DON'T BELIEVE THEIR QUOTE.

[Resolved] no dsl here

i have windstream phone service here, but the funny thing about it is i have called them out to my home 6...

had nothing but email, internet speed problems and every time it rained my satellite went out

This is warn everyone out there - do not fall for windstream s package deal! I was talked into the package over the phone by a windstream customer service rep. - she never mentioned there being a 2 or 3 year contract. I never delt with dish network - the installation was set up by windstream.

I cancelled my service with windstream because I had nothing but email, internet speed problems and everytime it rained my satalight went out.

When I called windstream to discontinue service, they said I would have to call dish network to discontinue, I told them that I didn't deal with dish to get satalight service and I didn't pay dish, I paid them. Regardless, they put me on a three way call with dish and I told them to disconnect. They started the contract blurb. I of course told them that I didn't make a contract with anyone. I am in limbo now - can't get them to send me boxes to return the satalight receivers and remotes - windstream won't do anything. I have gotten two a bill from windstream for dish service for a month and a bill from dish for 194.00 for 2 months service. I had the satelite service discontined aug. 13th and had paid my bill thru aug. 18th. - I know

Dish will ruin my credit, but I don't know where to turn. I will probably try the magistrate court.

As I said, don't fall for the windstream bundle package deal.

• This is Phillip Chang with DISH Network's Customer Service. I have read your posts and I want to help in any way I can. I would also like to apologize for any negative experience you may have had. We do take everyone's feed back very seriously as we continue to strike for excellence in assisting you. If there is anything I can assist you with feel free to contact me at [email protected]

porting of number

I am a former D&E Communications phone customer in PA. D&E was bought by Windstream last year. I have been...

[Resolved] was not removed from credit bureau as promised.

This Company was paid in full and they refuse to remove from my credit bureaus as promised. If I would have...

unhappy and disappointed with the quality of customer service that they offer

I have been trying to port my land line number to a cell company for aprox 4 weeks with no luck. EVERY time I call Windstream customer service I get a different answer to my questions and problem. I have been lied to, put off, placed on endless hold and bounced back and forth from department to department. I understand they do not want to loose business but if their phone service was more affordable I would not need to switch. I am EXTREMELY unhappy and disappointed with the quality of customer service that they offer. They need to better train their employees so that everyone is on the same page.

• Je
    Jerry Gray Sep 12, 2010

my acct no# is 126264002 I called 2 wks ago about my bill, ever since i merged windstream and dish together it hasnt been nothing but going up up and up. first of all dish is fine stayed same price butttt got less channels i had adult movies on there when had regular dish and paid same now u took them off and i pay the same. back to windstream i had it changed over to greenstreak onto a private line because all we use is the internet no phones in the house, but understand we have to have phone line to get internet. I upgraded to 6.0 speed which was advertised and told to me on the phone at a rate of 44.85 dollars the rep said in my area, well first bill will be around 105 to 112 dollars I said thats what i had figured. 1st bill 126.00, 2nd bill90.00 dollars, 3rd bill 140.81, i called and got supposedly the private line discount ha never happened we had a storm in between there my line went down outside called 2times never got answered always directed somewhere else or hung up on, thenfinally put note on windstream guys door and called one more time because i know he has to have work order finally week and half later line got put back up. Last bill I got for august 31 148.91 even went up higher, never got a discount of any kind . Please figure out what went wrong because wont be abble to keep u guys if keep going up and someone on ur end not holding up the bargain. Please get back to me. Thanks Jerry Gray

[Resolved] terrible service and frequent disconnects

I am located in South Western Pennsylvania, southern Washington county. I bought Windstream DSL, 1.5 MB in December 2006. It worked fine till the end of 2007 and I started getting lots of disconnects.

From March 2008 every weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the DSL is down. I get sporadic success on Friday, sometime up sometimes down but EVERY Saturday starting around 10:00 - 10:30 AM the DSL would go down. It would reconnect but drop the connection every 2-5 minutes and it would take 3-10 minutes to reconnect. Usually it was fine by 8PM in the evening. Though the past 2 months I noted the problem still occurring after 11:00 PM.

I have the Speedstream 4200 modem. The connection is nothing unusual, its as simple as it gets. The DLS modem is connected to one computer via a Ethernet cable. The DSL plugs into the DLS side of the filer. One phone plugs into the phone side of the filter. The filter plugs into the phone jack.

Rebooting the modem did nothing. I have replaced the filters, 3 so far. I have tried the modem plugged directly into the wall jack. I have changed the phone cable four times. I have replaced the ethernet cable 4 times. None of this solved the problem.

Some techs have mentioned maybe it the electrical wiring in the house. well I have a UPS on my system. On Saturday morning at 9:45 I unplugged the UPS from the wall and ran it on battery. Sure enough at 10:15 the DSL dropped. Hmm maybe there is a problem with the battery?

When finally, after about a year of complaining they sent a tech out and he discovered that the modem was an “A12” version and the current one was the “A25” ok maybe this was the reason. The tech out confirmed that there was a strong signal and the cables and filter were fine or at least he was seeing a good signal when he was here. And the modem was relatively close for a good signal. I set up the modem on a Saturday morning but, as usual on the weekends, the authentication server was down. On Sunday afternoon I was able to finally authenticate the modem. Ok Sunday night it was fine. In fact I was thinking the old firmware was the real problem. The modem worked fine till Friday when it started going down again. So I suppose it wasn’t the modem at all. The new modem would at least display a message saying “We have detected that you do not have DSL connectivity to your Home Networking Modem. After configuration wait a while for DNS to refresh.” Or “Your Internet login needs to be verified before continuing. After configuration wait a while for DNS to refresh.” Either that or it would go into the Authenticate screen. Which is strange because I have already ran the authenticate procedure. It will not complete the authentication, however, it will freeze or the DSL will disconnect preventing anything from happening.

Its difficult for me to imagine replacing all the hardware and I still have the problem but ONLY Friday-Sunday. Windstream techs seem to think its my DSL filter that only works consistently Monday-Thursday then fails Friday-Sunday. Hmm I need to read the packaging more carefully to buy the filter that works the full week LOL.

WHAT is going on here? I think the problem is on Windstream’s end and doesn’t have anything to do with my equipment. One tech DID tell me they usually did maintenance on the weekends to not interrupt business users. Other ISPs do maintenance around 1AM to prevent interruptions so its most likely that SOMETHING is being done at Windsteam on the weekends.

• Windstream Communications's response · Mar 05, 2010

We are sorry to hear of your recent Windstream experience. We take matters like yours seriously and want to resolve your Broadband issues. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected]

[Resolved] porting of number

I am in the process of transferring my number from Windstream to Vonage. Windstream bought out D&E in November. I received the only communication from them regarding the cancellation of the VoIP service. Apparently they sent out letters in December. The only letter I received was in November telling me they bought out D&E. I called and signed up with Vonage on [protected] and am still waiting for my phone number to be transferred. The last 2 rejects were for an address mis-match. I have twice verified the address with BOTH companies via a conference call. I'm still waiting. Windstream says it's Vonage, well the 3rd party doing the transfer, with the issue.

• Windstream Communications's response · Mar 05, 2010

We are sorry to hear of your recent Windstream experience. Please contact our Complaint Resolution Team at 877-316-4077 Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. You may also email us at [email protected]

[Resolved] they are the worst phone company I have ever had

I moved to this area in February and had to get windstream for my phone service and I am so angry with them that I am searching for another way to get a internet line in my house so I can cancel their service. I wouldn't refer them to anyone for any reason. I first signed up with them and they gave me the most expensive package deal they had, even after I had told them I wanted just the basic line, cause I only needed it for a computer line, and that I had cell phones. Then every month I was paying a bill of $85.00 just to have internet. So I finally called 3 months later and told them that they had put the wrong package on and so she changed the package to the lowest package and said it would be effective at 7pm that night on the 29th of May. Then I called the first week of June to see if they received my payment and she said yes, now you owe $85.00 for June. I told her that they had made a mistake but they fixed it on the 29th, and she said Yes but it won't show until next months billing. So now I still have to pay a full month bill of something I didn't order in the first place, and then I have been on the phone today trying to reach a supervisor all day and not one return phone call yet. They are the worst phone company I have ever had. I had other phone companies and had great service and customer service, this is a real case of CUSTOMER NO SERVICE...

• Windstream Communications's response · Mar 03, 2010

over charging

3 months ago i lost 1000. of my income i am disabled i need my phone called and talked with windstream about...

crossed wiring

I have been calling since November, 2009 to your company correct the problem of crossed wiring. You have yet to fix it or even act like you want to. Of course your operators told me to pay for the inside wiring and the problem would go away. What a crock, like charging me more would fix the crossed wiring situation. How dumb do your operators think I am. To start out my service bundle would ONLY be $49.99 but with ALL YOU TAXES ADDED ON it is $73.28 per month. For what?? So I spend my days complaining about someone else talking while I am using my phone, that I pay for on time every month. Since when does fixing a complaint for 4 months go away because you want to charge me more????? The lines are crossed somewhere and your refusal to fix it is stupid.. How would you like it if I never paid you another dime until my phone is fixed and I can enjoy talking on the phone again???? The proof is in all the complaints that I have made to YOUR 800 numbers, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Get the picture???

[Resolved] porting phone #

For a whole month we have been trying to get Windstream to release our phone number to Comcast. It'...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices