Menu
Western Union
reviews & complaints

Western Union
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

306 complaints
76 resolved 230 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Western Union. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
D
10:01 am EDT

Western Union - e-mails insisting I won $2.5 million

I keep getting e-mail from Benin in West Africa about my e-mail address [email protected] winning prize of $2.5 million from Ministry of Finance there & I'll be paid in $5, 000 installments everyday until all $2.5 million is paid to me, but I must 1st send $55 by Western Union to Mr. Ajana Mike in Cotonou, Benin Republic. Mr. Larry Land told me this in e-mail & by phone call. I even spoke to cashier there Mr. Ajana Mike & told them it all sounds too good to be true, far fetched & didn't make sense to me. I'm very skeptical about it all.

N
12:22 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi sir my self nishant sinha I am living in delhi india I got scamed by email I lost 86000 inr in scam I use to deposite in SBI my all money is gone I am an orphan child I hardly use to manage all the things I am just frustrated now I complained all over the online site but no buddy is listening to me I have all proofs and I Dont know it will recover or not...

10:03 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was banned from Western Union and they never gave me any explanations why I was banned. I have been using their service for the last year and I monthly send money to the same person in Mexico which is my wife, and the same amount of money which is $800 U.S. a month. I don't know why Western Union is so paranoid, laundry drug cartels don't laundry $800 U.S...

P
1:39 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I got Western Union NetSpend and activated it like about a month and just using it for a direct deposit about $1, 350 then suddenly they locked my account and asking me to call to customer service.I called and after half an hour waiting on the line to be transferred to other department, they hang up! So, I called again and finally they asked me to send a...

11:19 pm EST

Western Union - customer penalized for employee mistake

I, a long time customer at Money Mart #1400 located in Dundas and Hurontario, Mississauga.

I would like to report an incident happened on Thursday January 15/2015 @ 6:30pm.
And would like this matter to be handle of result of harassing us, the customer.

At my knowledge, the manager at this time is known as Andrew Busbridge and the employee teller attending to us is Nazieira Kakar (Clerk ID # 5933).

This matter need to be acknowledge and a result of incentive to be given to me for wasting our own time for your employees mistakes.

Incident: 6:30pm
1) We made a remittance to the phillipines on IN MINUTE fee for the amount of $250
Mtcn# 791-538-6518

2) I was sold a piece of jewelry being sold at the same location ( MM Inventory # 14k AE8), the price fee was bargain with the same teller (Nazieria Kakar) twice being confirm with the floor at the manager, Andrew Busbridge, and was given a receipt.

3) At late evening, around 11pm, we received a call from the employee, Nazieria Kakar, informing the remittance that was made going the Philippines (@6:30pm, that was paid In A Minute Fee) has been put hold due to her mistake of selling the jewelry in a lower price, before the money can be release until the balance for the jewelry has been paid

Now, @11:00 ish pm

I return to the location and the evening manager at that moment claims to be Sheila Arabia, had informed that there was an error at the price of the jewelry of being sold, so my money I have remitted to my daughter in the Philippines has been place on hold so they can get the money for the difference for the jewelry cost, until the remaining balance has been paid or return the jewelry then the money remitted will be release.

Note: Naeira Kakar acknowledge she made a mistake, she claims to be 5months pregnant and hadn't eaten, so she made a Mistake and she doesn't want to loose her job.

To avoid further arguments, I have decided to make sure my money has been release and to make sure my daughter will received the money then then jewelry will be return.

The floor manager, Sheila Arabia had to do another transaction, because in the Phillippines, it claims the first remitted money was unfounded. After the 2nd transaction, finally the money was released and my daughter received the money.

However, we had paid InAMinute fee but yet I, the customer was penalized and received a hassle dealing with this inconvenience matter done by Money Mart incompetence action of your employee, Naeira Kakar.

I believe I should receive a incentive favour from MoneyMart for the harassment from your company

5:36 pm EST

Western Union - financial loss for customer

I wanted to send money from canada to germany. Am no resident of canada and told the office I am travelling further south. Western union apparently canceled the transaction without informing me. The recipient in germany spent several hours in their office and received no help. So I got in touch with the so-called service line in canada. After few more days I was provided with a new code and the answer that the recipient in germany could now pick up the money. Again, fail. Calling again did not work. Email = no reply. Filing a complaint through their webside (Does not work when using a mobile or ipad!) I finally got contacted. Well, several emails later I was now told the original transaction was canceled. Obviously one tried to get in touch to clarify some questions. Strange only that I never got a call, nor email from them. Well, now I am in mexico and they want me to travel back to canada to get a refund! I tell them, I do not live in canada and do not plan a travel there for the near future. Would they pay for me plane tickets? Last reply, they would arrange a refund here in mexico. Also no option. I am definitely not running around with so much cash over here. Also, I would then pay conversion fees twice: cad to peso to euro. Would they refund this financial loss? Of course they stay quiet on this topic! Would they refund the handling fee that I initially paid without ever having received this "service"? Guess what, no reply on this neither!

9:49 pm EDT

Western Union - could not send money

I am having lots of problem with western union including not getting points for promotion, website problem where I can not send money today. Employee of West. Union said many people have problem and I should send through him which will cost lot more. Why I should pay lot more if it is western union problem? I asked for a manager and hang up on me.
Food lion has a booth, which does not work at all and you always face with rude employee internationally specially Mexico. I do not understand if i ma sending money from USA, why I can not deal with someone in USA? What is the problem with western union?
They increased rate $2 more last few months and Bollywood film star are dancing on TV about western union. Western Union pay them for advertisement. Do they think customers are stupid in USA? And where this money come from? Customer's pocket? And why we should pay for ad on TV by rising our rates, specially when customer service is horrible?

L
4:53 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Dear Sir/Madam, I received the following email and just wanted to know what this a scam or true. Please acknowledge receipt of this complaint and reply to [email protected]: Your welcome to office of James Robert Clapper, Jr Director of National Intelligence. Good day to you. Contact On My E-mail: jamesr.([email protected] I...

Q
9:35 pm EDT

Western Union - rude and poor service

I just want to file a complaint about this business. I sent a money to someone in the Philippines. They asked me if I want it to be deposited directly in a bank or the receiver can claim it to a western union. I told them that its more convenient if it will be direct deposit. After several days my loveones told me that they haven't received the money yet. i told them to wait. It takes 3wks before I decided to call the store where I sent the money (WESTERN UNION at Tyndall). They told me that its not deposited directly in a bank. So my loveones went to the western union sonce they gave us a control number. Western union branch in the Philippines said that its not the right control number. So I decided to call them again. They told me to call that 1-800 numbers of western union, so I did. The agent at western union told me that the store where I send the money entered the wrong info on their system that is why my loveones in the Philippines can't claim the money. They entered my name as the SENDER...and entered my name as the receiver as well. Totally nonsense! Why would I spend money for the service charge and send money to myself. They even told me to go to any western union and claim all the amount including the service charge so I went to the nearest western union near my workplace. MUch to my dismay, they only give me certain amount not including the service charge. People in that store (WESTERN UNION TYNDALL AVE. WINNIPEG) knows nothing but crap. They are fond of pointing fingers and putting blame on me and to other people. Not even apologizing. They don't even entertain my concerns because they said that they don't have time for that. I believe that if you have a certain business like that, your service ends once the receiver gets the money not once the sender send the money... Hope it makes sense. I am not after with the money, I am after with the SERVICE itself and all the inconveniences they give me. I am working so I don't have time for their LIES. I am hoping for your speedy actions. Hope to hear from you soon because I don't wanna let it pass. Thank you.

9:45 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

#‎Fraud‬ in ‪#‎WesternUnion‬ – Don’t deal with this company Complaint in Crime branch & Police station – No help from their side This is my kindly request to all who uses Western union for their money transfer; I have very bad experience in that. On 1st March 2014 my client Joseph sent me some dollar from Lebanon, and before I get some fraud person ha...

N
8:46 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Our mortgage was sold by Bank of America to Nationstar. We were set up to have mortgage payment deducted from checking account twice a month for the accelerated equity. Greenpoint was the institution that handled that for Bank of america. When the mortgage was sold there was a period of two or three months that although the payments were deducted they were...

R
11:21 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Western Union - terrible service!

I tried to transfer £400 using Western Union. The instructions from Western Union weren't clear and I used the wrong transfer method from my bank account and as a result the money is in the Western Union suspense account. I called Western Union customer services when I realised there was a problem and was told to send an email with the relevant details. The customer service staff are friendly and apologetic but powerless. They are clearly powerless, just there to act as a buffer and fend customers off. I'm told that a different department needs to do the work and they can't tell me when the transfer will be fixed or give any reason why a simple task is taking so long. I have asked for the money to be refunded so I can do the transfer again now that I know exactly what I need to do but this has been ignored. This is my first experience of Western Union and I hope I never have to use them again.

10 comments
F
Jun 29, 2009 4:40 pm EDT

I received an email requesting that I send $250.00 USD in order to activate an account to receive $10, 0000.00 US daily. I have seen many of these emails & what I want to know is this ligitimet? Please respond.

Fred Fellows

R
Jan 30, 2008 12:00 am EST

Western Union requires that in order to receive their funds, customers must complete forms with 6 to 7 pt font - too small for the visually impaired to read.

Jun 01, 2014 11:06 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

very good Edison francisco bonfim

Apr 26, 2014 12:10 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Western Union should only be used to send money to family or very close friend, people that you would trust with your check book. If you are trying to use it for some business reason, stop, don't. When a person you don't know wants to be paid by Western Union, it is a scam. Your bank may have refused since this kind of fraud is common. If you persist, don't ask your bank or Western Union to refund your money. As soon as a scammer picks it up, it is gone forever, and you won't know the real name of the person who took your money.

Feb 17, 2011 5:25 am EST

mande novidades pra mim my msn brasil

Feb 17, 2011 5:22 am EST

make money my msn

Sep 07, 2009 6:27 pm EDT

edson francisco bonfim

Aug 03, 2009 11:55 pm EDT

now i have every day received email from uk lottory for winning some prize. first given my bio data then person come bombay or delhi in india and say mee some rs.pay to him then given my winning prize. this is ford with mee ? what is this ?

Aug 03, 2009 4:30 pm EDT

transunion /experian / EQUIFAX contato [email protected] edson francisco bonfim . brasil phone 55 019 [protected] /55 019 [protected] são paulo /campinas ..

Jul 03, 2009 7:00 am EDT

i have received email from winning some prize of $700000 your amount tranfer in your account give account no.and detail for thies prize transfer what is this ?

[email protected]

4:04 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went into a Thriftway store to send a Western Union money transfer. I am aware there are many complaints about sending to countries like Nigeria. I knew who I was sending to a family member. I had sent a transfer the week before to the same place, person and amount. After a 3rd degree worse than if I had been suspected of murder it was okayed. The 2nd...

T
10:56 am EDT

Western Union - money transfer hold

Used western union to transfer money online to a colleague in Asia to buy parts for our business numerous times. The last time they put my transfer on hold and stated it needed to go through their compliance office for review which is fine. They asked me to send documents proving the reason for the money transfer and I sent them twice. They never called me back. I called numerous times and waited on hold numerous times only to reach an automated voice system which asks for you to leave your contact info so that they can call you back but they never do. I filed a customer complaint on their web site and they send an email stating that the matter was resolved. When you do get on the phone with the customer service they first give you the robotic responses such as "I'm sorry blah blah blah...", they then transfer you back to the compliance voice mail in which you leave your contact info only to re-start the ridiculous phone call circle from hell. its' customer service is obviously set up to deflect your problem back to you and not to resolve it.

Update by Tony2046
Oct 17, 2013 9:56 pm EDT

They returned my money once I canceled the transaction. Sorry I did not make that clear.

My problem was that they would not transfer the money to my vendor with out an interview with their compliance department but I never received a phone call from them. For two months I called and left messages and sent emails but no one ever called or gave me an answer.

I had transferred money to the same vendor many times before using WU.

3 comments
L
Oct 22, 2013 2:27 pm EDT

I have never dealt with lack of English speaking people in my entire life. They have the worse customer service hands down. I will never do business with them again.

Oct 17, 2013 6:04 am EDT

I'd like to know was this your first online transfer with Western Union?

Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm EDT

How long as it been since you sent the money? I was told that making payments in person is far more efficient but not everyone has access to Western Union agents nearby. This is nothing short of harassment.

5:00 pm EDT

Western Union - false advertisement

I received an email from Western Union telling me that I could send money to Mexico for no transfer fee. So, I signed into their website, but the no fee transfer only applied if using my checking account information or bill pay, which would take three days to process using the "no fee" option. So, I entered my checking account information and made the transfer. I got the MTCN number, validating my transaction. On the third day, I entered my account, only to see that Western Union canceled my transaction without telling me. When I contacted them to ask why, they said they could not tell me why. So, I ended up sending the money paying the $5 transaction fee, which went through without any issues. Western Union does not honor its advertisements. Scam & Fraud. Stay away!

G
8:24 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I've been sending money overseas for over 16 years and today I tried to send money trough w. Union and got a call back telling me in a very rude way that I was no longer allowed to transfer money or even received money and my money is not worth it, f I was so confused and angry am an american using an american company but yet people that barely speak...

C
6:51 am EDT

Western Union - blocking my name

dear sir /mam;

good day i just wanted to know why i can recivie the money as my friend send to me, , it says my name is blocked
may iknow what is the reason of blocking my name in western union?please i wanna know why western union office blocked my name .and how long it may take for blocking my name? and why they do it, whats wrongs with my name?

View 0 more photos
G
1:09 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Western Union hides worldwide its exact store where the fraud had been done and with that deletes all possibilities for investigations of your money, . Of course the next crime that only can mean that this address is Western Union itself or US governmental sections (FBI or judicial authorities)|.In all these cases your transfer never was sent to the place...

4:37 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Western Union - I need the details about the sending message to receive the money the senders e-mail id is true or fake or scam send details//?//??/

To
consumer complant board

Respected sir
I need the verification details about the sending attached below e-mail ID details about this e-mail is true or fake to communication for this below e-mail ID send the verification details to receive the money from the western union of the below e-mai ID and I also communication for the e-mail ID or not .
----------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKING YOU
SANTHOSH
03/03/2013

Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm EST

send me the details the below email ID is true or fake or scam or fake send me the with full details

E-mail : "WESTERN UNION"

send me the details about the email ID is true or fake about the details

1:42 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I made an electronic transaction from their website and two days after I still didn't get confirmation and on the third day, they sent back the money to my bank and it will arrive in 5 to 7 business days...up to date pass 9 days and still they don't return my money. Stay away from Wester Union WU Pay..its a OnLine SCAM company that will manipulate your...

Western Union contacts