Web.cominternet scam

I received an email from WEB.COM announcing a raise in monthly subscription rates. On Thursday, October 9th 12:00pm, I placed a call to web.com's cancellation line in order to cancel my service. I waited on hold for approximately 35 minutes and had to hang up (unserved) because my lunch break had ended. Saturday, October 11th, I placed another call around 3:30pm and waited on hold another 30 minutes. Frustrated, I hung up and dialed their technical support number. A human being picked up almost immediately and proceeded to take my information and transferred me to customer service. It is now 5:25pm and I have been on hold for 1 hour and 35 minutes.

• Tb
    T Bertram Aug 27, 2008

I had been a long-time Interland customer. They always let me know ahead of time when my credit card would be charged and how much. They would also let me know if my card was about to expire.

Web.com did none of the above, FAKED my expiration date (how it got through, I'll never know), AND raised my rates 50%. I called to complain 2 days after my card was charged and they said they would roll back to the old price and credit my card. They did...then charged the card back for the same amount as the credit.

I tried for three weeks to get in touch with someone...ANYONE. They would not answer their phones or email or trouble ticket. When I finally DID get in touch with someone, they said that they would be charging me (prorated) two months of service.

From what I've seen on this site, I'm not the only one that didn't get kissed...

johnndaniels Nov 25, 2009

Well check this out. You sign up for a domain name, right? Then, 45 days before a year is up, they sneak a little email in to your inbox entitled "support" saying your account will renew if you don't take action. When you don't, you're in for another year. Oh, and they doubled the amount i was paying the year before. When you call, of course they say that was part of your agreement, and you opted in to it. But really, it's the default setting, and you have to affirmatively change it to avoid auto-renewal. There was no opting of any kind. Bad business.

• Ar
    Arthurg Jan 06, 2010

I received a call from a rep. of Web.com who told me that he noticed that I was a member of Merchant Circle and that they service Merchant Circle and that their service works and that they had something going between them and Google and that my business will go up. He knew how to sell the service, So I gave my cc info. Then I decided to call back and cancel. I spoke to a lady who was at the top of nice to manipulate me. But then she agreed to give me a one month free trial. Absolutely nothing happened. They had me make many changes to my website that I found out Google gives you the same information for free. So I didn't ask to subscribe and no one called to ask if I was satisfied and if I wanted to go ahead and subscribe. Then recently I noticed 2 charges on my statement for 71.95 each. I called to the same lady who claimed that she told me about it at the beginning. I asked for a refund but was denied. I called my Master Card agent who told me that once you give your cc info and took the free trial according to the rules they go by, they can't reverse the charges. So it's a legal technicality that protects them. The bottom line is don't subscribe to their service. "It does not work" I got nothing from it and my Google rank went down, maybe because of them resubmitting to Google.

• Da
    Dawn Rhodes Jan 10, 2010

Please, please, please . . . do not subscribe to this site. I chose a domain name and could not access my new site, I submitted a password, but could not access my new site. There is no customer service (unless you pay for it, ) so I could get no answer or help. I had to cancel my credit card to get them not to charge me. I was fooled into thinking this was a reputable software/internet site because the words "Google" and "Microsoft" were on the packaging.

• In
    Inf3rnal Feb 09, 2010

Yeah they are a total fraud. They tried to sell me the same Google trick but I didn't fall for it.

I'm a web designer and it's called SEO. If you guys want to get your google rank up.

Use google at search SEO techniques for Web Design. There is a million of them out there and they are free.

If you want to see your ranking and page views use:

Google Analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics/)
    Google Urchin (http://www.google.com/urchin/)

Also if you want awesome hosting for your website please use:
    Hostmonster (http://www.hostmonster.com/)
    Hostgator (http://www.hostgator.com/)

Also domain can be purchased through your hosting or at Godaddy.

Don't let those scammers get you.

JoeH52 Feb 26, 2010

Web.com is a scam. Stay as far away from them as possible. I paid $71 for them to help me increase traffic to my web site and, as a results, I received three e-mails ans spent 10 minutes talking to a girl at their offices. So, I blew the money. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

• Ar
    arizonahomecleanup May 29, 2010

We recently had to close one of our debit cards due to unauthorized charges. We did not realize that this was the card we used to set up and run our website and email with Web.com. Without a warning or even trying to contact us about the issue, web.com shut down our business website and email. I immediately contacted web.com and updated our payment history. Our website is up and running and I can send emails but we are not getting our emails. All of our business comes from our customers via email and most orders need to be completed within 24 hours. We are losing lots of orders and customers because our clients cannot send us emails. We are a new business that just is starting to take off and this is ruining us. I have contacted web.com via email and phone more then ten times and it still has not been fixed. I find that this is horrible business practices especially for a company that markets itself to small business. In today's market businesses rely heavily on email and websites and cannot afford to have this happen. Web.com thinks they can keep doing this because of the difficulty it would be for a small business to switch to another company.

• Ju
    Just a struggling single mom Jun 07, 2010

I tried it and couldn't get into my account either! No answer when I asked via their email contact. I'm SO glad I didn't give them any money or card info!!!

• **COMPANY RESPONSE**

We have researched these issues, and found that we did provide notification on two occasions to this customer prior to terminating their service due to 2 consecutive months of non-payment, which is something we have outlined in our terms and conditions of service.

After an account has been suspended, it can take up to 24 hours for a full restoration of service due to domain propogation and other issues. Our ticketing history and review of this indicate that this customer's service was fully restored - including the ability to send and receive e-mail - within 3-4 hours following the payment update.

We understand the critical nature of making sure a business owner's website and e-mail are working, and these issues are treated with high priority when they arise, regardless of who is "at fault" for the issues occurring in the first place. However, it is important to note that in all fairness, payment-related service interruptions are something that this customer had full control over.

Web.com
    Customer Satisfaction Department
    Main: [protected]

• Po
    Positivethinker80 Jul 29, 2010

I have had web.com for over a year and have just recently started a new account with them, I think the complaints above are in regards to hosting accounts, I dont' understand how anyone can say web.com is a "scam".. They have been around for over 10 years and have over 250k customers, just look at their web.com corp site!! I always talk to a live person, they give me 30 days to get ANY changes done on site are always friendly and knowledgeable about tips to improve website traffic and conversion, I am a small business I don't' have time to submit myself to the search engines and do marketing, hence why I hired someone. Please!! If you are here because your are considering web.com, Please stop listening to the negativity and focus on the positive parts, there are only negative complaints on this site, Go and try it for yourself, they don't even lock you in a contract and they focus on only small businesses like mine to help with pricing so I can succeed and make the websites pay for themselves.. Wow. I should apply there!!

• In
    Inf3rnal Jul 30, 2010

I disagree Positivethinker80.

I can plainly tell you are speaking here on behalf of web.com. I know how the marketing world works and if you ask anyone in the web design, hosting, developing, and community they will tell you that web.com is the biggest ripoff that you will ever see.

If you guys want a legit company that will do everything you need and no scams involved use:

They are setting the standards for SEO.

• Sc
    scamedbyweb.com Sep 02, 2010

I feel like a number here. I got an offer from them stating Legal zoom was offering a free 30 day trial. They promised a notice to tell me when the 30 days was up. It never came and I was billed 94.95. I will be contacting the BBB immediately but it won't matter because the website was never what we were looking for - we had a site - I just fell for the SCAM. Shame on me for a bad business decision but I will tell everyone I know about how this compay treated me and to NEVER use them. So what's the point - all the bad press and you could have just refunded the money.

• Sc
    scam web.com Nov 05, 2010

Web.com is a complete scam and rip off. I own my own web development firm and recently had to deal with these web.com people and the customer service lady herself, the manager, more or less agreed with me that the company is a complete fraud. They purchase the domain names for their clients, then if the client ever wants to move or have a website somewhere else they want to sell the domain back to the client for $99. Absolutely ridiculous, the client should own the domain not web.com

• So
    So sick of being ripped off Nov 10, 2010

I payed the 76.95 fee and waited and received nothing for it, or so I felt. So when the following month roled around I called and told them that I wish to cancel, that I didn't feel that I was getting my moneys worth from them. They gave advise on title - discription - metatags ect. hmm I was all ready at 100% for them by google. Also told them I had no idea as to what they were doing for me, I never recieved any reports or anything. I received an email listing a few dozen places they submit my site to. As I was going through to submit my index to them instead, one site was no longer around, another site got stopped by spybot as saying there was malware on it. Another site address didn't even exst (I gave up their list after the first half dozen).

The posting of my banner 1000 times, netted me not one click, so much for increasing my traffic. I was never told where that banner was shown, or if in fact it was shown.

I did agree to continue with them for 2 more months at half price to "see" if any improvements happen. But as I thought about it, I wanted to see what others were saying and found this board.

• Di
    dimskyblue Nov 27, 2010

Same problem here...I also want to cancel my account with WEB.COM, but they are not answering me how to cancel my account. My credit card has been declined, and then they emailed me that they are experiencing difficulty processing credit card payment...I regret why I have opened an account with them. They don't have a good customer service support. They just used us to get some money...

• Ro
    RObERt b16 Mar 26, 2011

Honestly i don't work for web.com but to me you all sound like a bunch of people who go out to restaurants and ask for your money back after you ate the whole meal when people sign up for a service and think it's going to "self terminate" you guys are stupid no company that provides a service like that is "self terminating" NONE not web.com not RHsPSODY not ebridge NONE ! You sighned up of course YOU need to CANCEL!!! Ten you go online and destroy this companies reputation and toy with peoples lively hoods and probably treat the customer service reps like trash you are all trash and [censor]s for assuming that anything you put on a card would self terminate does your gym membership self terminate ? No but do you cry about. That?

• Co
    coloradoskieer Apr 06, 2011

this company is a scam. They made many promises about how nice the site will be and how much additional traffic I will see. When I checked to see what kind of website they developed, a child could do better. It took two weeks and a dozen phone calls to get the acct. canceled. Funny how it didn't even take one phone call to join.
    To the person who says this is sour grapes or that I am playing with people's livelyhoods needs to wake up. Companies like this should go out of business. If I was treated professionally and allowed to cancel as easy as it was to sign up then I would not be complaining

• Sh
    shakingmyheadoverthis Apr 09, 2011

They called several times without leaving msgs. Finally when I answered the sales guy said I had "contacted them for information" (I have not.) I told him I was on the National Do Not Call List, and to pls respect that. He agrued with me saying "There is no National Do Not call list for Businesses". Difficult to get off the phone, and intrusive.
    Bad business.

• Ru
    Rubiee101 May 30, 2011

What if you just use the free version, and don't put in any credit card details?
    ..Simpler..

• Un
    UnhappyWombat Jun 29, 2011

You are sooooo right! What a scam! Their pricing was extremely deceptive so when I figured out what the cost really was I called and canceled on the phone. Even so, they kept calling and acting like I still had an account with them, but when I would say "But I canceled that" they would say, "Well, we're just the marketing people, we have no way to know that..." and when I asked if they could access my records to see if there was an active account they would say "Sorry, we can't access that." Why didn't I go to their website to cancel? Because I was under the impression that I had no account, so I had no way to log in. Now, months later, I noticed unexplained charges... and then traced it back to a full year ago. The charges were all over the map, first $13.50, then $21.90, then suddenly $37.00! No explanations, no announcements, no messages. So I called the number and after being extremely rudely treated by a customer service agent, who basically told me to shut up and listen to her, I finally got an e-mail confirming cancellation. It's obvious that they are deliberately ignoring requests for cancellation because they think they can make big money by doing so. I'm not here to pay for some dot.com millionaire's temporarily lavish life-style, I'm here to do business and if they don't do business by respecting the customer... they won't last much longer!

• Webs.com makes it very difficult for their customers to cancel their subscription. After months and months of trying to contact them to cancel my account. Finally was able to beat their system. and since my automatic payments were going out via Paypal, I was able to cancel the subscription through Paypal by deleting my approved account (webs.com). Best thing to try to do is contact your payment source and notify them to cancel the subscription from Webs.com. Calling them and e-mail them directly does not work!

What a hassle they make it for customers to get out of their tricky subscription scam! Never will I use their service again!

Sincerely,
    An Unhappy Former Webs.com Customer

• Ro
    rob 1960 Mar 30, 2012

Webs.com! What can I say? They are the most unreliable, negligent, amateur, unprofessional, company I have ever come across. I am embarrassed to say I ever had anything to do with them. For three years I was one of their clients and in this last year they have put me through hell! I have designed over 40 websites with different companies and webs.com has become the bench mark for horrible and unprofessional business practices. Their support team is operated by amateurs with no experience and ignorance for customer satisfaction. Their billing department is horrendous and withdraws fund from credit cards their not entitled to. Then their billing department sends out an error message to the fraud department and locks your account for 72hrs not allowing you to even upgrade your site even with a different credit card. Good luck getting a refund for though funds, you will be lucky if they even return your email. Webs.com business practices boarders on criminal intent and should be looked into by the criminal justice system. After doing a webs.com review search I was horrified to see all the unsatisfied customers complaining about the same issues I had.

• La
    Lambot Apr 19, 2012

This company is very dishonest, underhanded and unreliable.
    The site that they offer is of little or no use. It is just a shell. In order to get a real functional site, you wil have to spend much, much more. When I discovered what was really happening, I tried calling them to cancel my hosting. The operator switched me to someone whom she said will help me.I waited about 30 minutes before someone came on line. I requested cancellation; they then switched me to another person who came on line about 20 minutes later. I was again switched to another person. However, after waiting another 30 minutes, I decided to hang up and try sending an email. I received acknowledgement of receipt of the emai and a promise that someone will get back to me. I waited about one week and got no response. I knew then that they had no intention of cancelling my hosting. I logged in to my account and changed my payment option to an account that could not be accessed by them. Would you believe that every month for four months they sent me a bill and requested payment option update? I have not received one for this month as yet. I cancelled/closed the website five months ago. The template is empty; yet??
    Don't waste time and money !

• Mo
    Monyet Aug 04, 2012

This is their tactic for sure. I experienced the same thing. THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN! The next step will be to file a class action suit against this company!!! Sick of their unprofessional and unethical business practices.

• EducatorCA Aug 07, 2012

Thanks to everybody for opening my eyes on Webs.com! They sound as bad as 1and1.com.

• Ge
    gentlekath Aug 23, 2012

HUGE SCAM...they take your money before you tell them you can, they wont give it back! I tell them to look at their notes because I have called and spooke to reps, they said there are no note and that I can not talk to to claims dispute people, nobody ever talks to the claims dispute people. WHAT A RIP OFF! They completely ruined my whole life. Took out money I had planned for other IMPORTANT things, like food and car insurance.

• Ge
    gentlekath Aug 23, 2012

If they do not rectify this within the next day...you bet I am going to plaster it on my facebook with 548 friends, every board I can come across and tell every person I meet. I now have to go to my bank, change my checking account info. and debit card. and I will hire my son who is an attorney. This type of thing is not acceptible. I have no problem paying when I have the right service delievered, I am not cheap. They service the probide flat out sucks and once they have your debit number will take money out with no consciousness. I am going to report them to the BBB.

• EducatorCA Aug 23, 2012

No wonder they do not accept personal checks. They want to hook up to your credit card!!! I offered them a few times (Web.com) to pay by a personal check - they do not accept it.
    So, my site is hanging there kind of half developed. I am fine with that bc I am everywhere on Amazon anyway. But, of course, I wanted better to have a regular domain too - without the risk to be charged without my will! :D
    I heard Daddy.com are reliable (for hosting domains). Anybody knows about Daddy? Let me know, please. I'll go to Daddy, then. :D

• EducatorCA Aug 23, 2012

Gentlekath,
    I feel sorry for your problems with these people.
    I burned myself two times with scammers and frauds.
    Not anymore.
    Just made very angry one scammer the other day on the telephone, who hoped to get me, but didn't (internet business; you get money for nothing).

• La
    Lavana Fitzgerald Sep 21, 2012

I talked to someone who promised me an optimized website. Every time I searched for that website it only said that the account was suspended. I talked to someone (unfortunately did not keep a record of the name) and said that I wanted the service cancelled. Yet every month like clock work their charges appeared on my credit card. I was dealing with health issues and did not pay attention to my credit card charges.Finally, I talked to one of their people and explained that the only appearance of my website indicated that the account had been cancelled. She said that my website was available for viewing on their server. I looked at it. It was 3 pages, the content was obviously written by someone whose first language was not English. The content was pathetically simple and there were spelling errors. It looked like it had been put together by my 10 year old Grandson, except his grammar and spelling would have been better. Yet with all that I am told that they fulfilled their contract. Do you smell "Rip-off Artists"? Yep, they are. Do not go near them. They are petty grifters that cheat people for a few bucks and don't even qualify for the label outright Fraud Artists. What a joke!!

• Ne
    New York Business Oct 23, 2012

I. too have succumbed to the web.com scam. I started with this company in May 2012 and it is now October 23, 2012. They talked me out of my beautiful website that was not getting seen and said that they would design a site and correctly place meta-tag and key words so that I would be successful with all the search engines (over 100 they claimed) that they would be submitting me to. As well as local directories, etc. Every time I call this company I speak with a different person and have to begin my story over again...they built my website on .net so that we could compare my original website with the one they were providing for me. I have to say that the site they built is fine, just not as involved as my other site and many of the gallery photos were not included as they said that would cost even more to maintain. (Paying $94.95/month).When they first went to submit my site, they actually submitted it to google, yahoo, Bing, etc. as .net!!! Then my emails went down for almost a week, and they kept saying this was my fault when actually it was something they did on their end - big mess. Currently I have been trying to speak with a supervisor or higher administrator to resolve these issues and always they promise someone will call me back...they never do. And I never can get through to anyone who has any authority to actually help me...or to anyone who actually cares. Lots of lip service, no customer satisfaction - and I have now filed a report with the BBB and also contacted my credit card company (which thankfully is a business card) and they will block them from future charges and dispute my charges for the last 90 days. Go Chase/Ink!
    Meanwhile, during this time, I have not received one email, one click one call from the new website and cannot be found on any of the searches anywhere. Really Bad Business. These people need to be taken to court.

• Je
    Jenghardt Mar 27, 2013

I just having problems with this Web.com same story. I was so frustrated with the web.com.
    I called to cancel and the guy told me I cannot cancel my domaine name. All I want is to cancel everything and he is damn that why I want to cancel and keep telling me over and over again that I cannot cancel it until 1 year subscription? What the F? And then the guy told me that he can put me into a zero dollar plan. Wtf? And he said I will not be billed or charge for any months? If so then cancel it. But then he said he can't do nothing with it coz it cannot be cancel. Why? Why? I cannot cancel it? They have 30 days of policy to cancel it. Then now I cannot cancel it? Who are this people? Am I the one who don't understand? Or they just want my money and charging people and forcing people into their system so that they can get money. Do not used this site web.com they are useless! Don't waste your money.

• Bu
    budd2id May 23, 2013

Three months ago I hired hosting at web.com and I must pay $12.55 for hiring it a year. But right after that every month they charge me $12.55 and deduct it right from my credit card. When I complained they didn't give any response up to now. It's Fraud. Never use this web.com. It is just another way to trap customer by promoting a cheap web hosting service. Be careful they will steal your money every month buy trapping customer. They don’t care about the complain of customer all over the world. They might just simply gives respond on public forum by saying that web.com is best and doing good service. Never believe in review that web.com is good. They might pay people to write any thing good about this company. Or the employees themselves write something good and pretend to be their customer. Never ever use web.com. They are thief and will steal your money every month. The best way to stop it just block your credit card, and they will not be able to deduct your money any more. This the only way because they don’t give respond when I complain.
    my web www.balitourinfo.com

• Mi
    Mimimu Aug 03, 2013

I'm one of the web.com victim!! Please anyone help me how to cancel my acount without making that stupid call to their customer service?? I have blocked the transaction to my bank account but somehow they still can do it so I have to give report to ky bank each time they take my money in order to get refund. It's quite annoying if I have to do this all the time!

• Ab
    ABUSEDBYWEB.COM Aug 21, 2013

GOD IS GOING TO SHUT YOU PEOPLE DOWN!!! YOU ARE SCAMMERS AND EVIL PEOPLE. LIARS!!! STEAL FROM A CHILD!!! I COMMAND YOU TO BE SHUT DOWN EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

Angel61 Mar 18, 2014

Thanks for all the reviews/complaints about web.com I was just getting ready to make a mistake, I know it was God who had me to check it out first, Web.com is Avertising all on National TV. trying to get business from innocent people, Keep up the GOOD work Guys you are helping the little people who need every dollar and trying to make a living .I'll keep checking for a HONEST WEB Host.

MarkTeaque Mar 24, 2014

Web.com is one of the worst experiences I've ever had. After fooling with their mess I ended up going with a local company... Southern Content Queens. It cost just about the same as the web.com site and I had people I could contact whenever I needed anything and I knew exactly who was working on my website. I always refer people to them or to go to a LOCAL web designer because companies like web.com are mass producing hundreds of websites daily and don't care about the quality of their product.

• Am
    AMRITANSHU MISHRA May 26, 2014

On 23-05-2014 I saw web.com selling webhosting [protected]@0.5 $ per month+free domain.I bought it- At the time of purchase there was an option to select their privacy related product of 1~ $ value. I did not opt for it.I gave my credit card details and transaction was done. Next morning I saw that amount was deducted about 1.5 $. I got confused as I opted for 0.5 $ service. Any ways I had to go for business so I did not get time to check.Yesterday I checked and found that :-1. I was sold the, privacy-service without my knowledge. About 1 $.2. My credit card was set on the systems of web.com to deduct 14 $ more next month By [protected].I felt robbed. Went to a nice process of filing request. On their website there is no button to press and cancel the deal. They ask to write a mail so that they could see to it personally.I wrote Different mails but no response. Called their Toll free Number but no response.Googled, and found that several other people also have been trapped in same way. Many such examples and poor buyers are present who are victims of web.com system.Why one can buy their any service anytime without need to send a personal email. But for cancellation one has only one option, i.e. to write mail and wait for their never coming reply ?I was scared as now they had my credit card details. No email notification of this 14 $ even was send. I myself did not selected the monthly payment option but it was auto selected by their system.I got scared of their malicious intentions and blocked my credit card.i want my domain snsdgroup.com back. Before this deal it was everywhere available but now i Am trapped. I will not forcibly use web.com for buying my domain snsdgroup.com. They should be stopped from getting people's desired domain name locked with them by such tricks. Its like kidnapping domain names . Please web.com, I say sorry to you, but return my domain name . I will buy it from godaddy or one.com. Within 5 days of purchase the buyer can cancel domain buying, i heard.

jUST NOW SAW THAT MY DOMAIN WHICH WAS AVAILABLE FOR 6-9 DOLLARS FOR 1 YEAR EVERYWHERE IS NOW BEING SOLD AT 49 DOLLARS.
    WEB.COM KIND OF KIDNAPPED MY DOMAIN

NOT AT ALL REPLYING FOR ANYTHING

Comments

• Su
    SummerK Jun 10, 2014

I understand this review was written quite a while ago, but I had read this prior to cancelling my account and was nervous about going about cancelling. However, I just wanted to let everyone know that I had a great experience cancelling my account! I called in on a Tuesday mid afternoon - there was no wait. I had the service for less than a month, and I asked to cancel. The Rep cancelled the account quickly, confirmed the correct email address for a confirmation letter, and refunded me the payment I had made to set up the account without me even having to ask her to do so! I didn't even bother asking for a refund, but she informed me she had done that no problem. There's not many recent reviews about web.com, but I found them very customer service oriented and very nice. Don't be scared to call them!

che2005 Jun 28, 2014

Could anybody please give me their email address.
    I in dire need to cancelling my account.