Vonscashier/supervisor - poor service

Dear Vons,

This letter is months overdue. My wife and I have been long-time Vons customers but discontinued any shopping at your store since a most recent incident at your Northridge, CA store #[protected] Reseda Blvd). We live 2 blocks away and used to enjoy our walks to the store to purchase small items we could carry, especially wine from your selection.

Unfortunately we had a recent and confrontation with your evening supervisor, Yesenia Hernandez, purchasing a bottle of wine that left us very upset, thereby boycotting shopping there altogether, as well as any other Vons locations. My wife (35 years old at the time) had her ID with her but I had left mine at home (I'm 46). Miss Hernandez would not sell us the wine because I did not also have my ID on me. We asked her why she refused us the purchase and she stated that since she assumed I intended to drink the wine too, I needed ID present to purchase it as well. Obviously absurd, I asked her to show me where in Vons' by-laws that is written and she was unable to produce that for us and could only stick to her rules.

I understand retail stores reserve the right not to sell an item to a customer but there was no reason not to sell us the wine since one of us had our ID available. California law states clearly that in order to purchase alcohol from a retail store, a customer must have ID present. It does not state anywhere that all parties present while purchasing alcohol from a retail store must have ID. If the latter were the case, would Vons not sell me the wine if I have my 9-year old daughter present?

Although this incident happened about 6 months ago, it never sat well with us and continues to upset us every time we pass our neighborhood store with the poor service. We hope you reconsider your policies and abide by the law that was set up in California as it is written, rather than choosing to ratify it for no logical reason.

Should you wish to contact me for any further information, you can email me at [protected]@yahoo.com. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,