8th may 2010
To whom it may concern
With the following letter, I wish to tell you (And lodge a formal complaint against some staff working at vodacom, south africa)
Re: my htc tytn ii cellphone
I was living in shanghai, china when my husband bought me a htc tytn ii cellphone (December 2008). He came to visit us in shanghai and brought me the phone. From day one, I have been having problems (Please see below for list thereof) with the phone. I was not able to use the phone and therefore just left it as is for some time. When I returned to south africa in (My passport can verify these above mentioned trips) jul 2009, I again did not have the time to take the phone in for repairs/looked at, seeing as we have just opened our second business in randburg (First one in midrand) and both branches needed allot of attention then.
I think it was in jan 2010 when the phone just was getting worse and worse (In trying to use all the functionalities) and decided to take it in for repairs. I firstly marked my phone (As anyone in their right mind would do) everywhere on it with a permanent making pen. This marking pen cannot be washed or rubbed off. A couple of days (I think 2 weeks) later I received the phone back (With the makings still on it obviously) and they said that they just reloaded all the software again and it seemed to be working fine at the time.
Then again it started giving me problems. With running the two business, I again put it off for repairs/looked at, until 26th apr 2010. That is the day that my husband took it in for repairs/looked at.
The following are the problems that I was/am experiencing with my phone:
1. Not making sound when clicking on something to select.
2. Alarm does not go on to wake me or remind me of things.
3. Have to press several times to select something.
4. Today (20 apr) , the phone shut down and sent an error report to htc.
5. Battery goes flat in one day.
6. Cannot take too many photo’s, the hone starts hanging. By & ldquo;too many”, I mean about 5/6 photo’s.
7. When have reminders or saved sms’s, then the phone starts hanging.
8. Don’t have any music or photo’s saved on the phone, because it makes the phone hang all the time.
9. Some sms’s only receive hours later.
10. People call me, then the phone says to them that it is switched off, but the phone is never switched off.
11. The phone reboots itself.
The following happened on the day that my husband took the phone in for repairs (26th apr 2010) :
My husband booked the phone in with vodaworld ([protected]) , in midrand. They gave him a & ldquo;job number/card” (5655908) and recorded on there, the problems with the phone as I have listed above and also that they have kept the battery of my phone. Never at anytime, was my husband or i, told that we can get a & ldquo;loan phone” in the time of my phone being in repairs.
The contact person listed on the & ldquo;job number/card” is a mr. Fairbairn kriel (Fairbairn. [protected]@vodacom.Co. Za) , but he was never available for me to talk to. I have also asked for him a couple of times.
Once my husband returned to me (In our randburg business branch) , he gave me the documents for the phone. I then decided to call in to ask how long it would take and what they will be doing to the phone. I asked to speak to mr. Kriel, but was instead put through to a lady called promise. I asked her what her designation is and she told me that she is the supervisor. She also then asked me for my job number and then said that they will send it in and see what the tech guys are going to say about the phone. I told her that I do not wish for them to again just reload the software on my phone. I told her that, clearly there is something wrong with the phone and that is why it is not working properly again. I told her that they either need to fix it (Correctly this time) or give me a brand new phone. This particular phone costs allot of money. She then said that htc does not allow them to give customers new phones when there is something wrong with the existing one. I then told her that this is the second time that I am sending the phone in and it cannot just keep on going like this. Me having the phone for a little while and then it stops working properly……i have paid for a good phone and I want a good phone!!
She then said that we will have to wait and see what the tech guys say. I then told her that I wish to have the name/s of the people working on my phone; so that I can directly confirm with them, what they have done (It has been impossible to get hold of her again after this call) with my phone and why what they have done was done. She then said that she will be in contact with us, when she has any information on the phone.
I then told her that I need to phone back soonest, seeing as I have no other phone. She then said that I can get a loan phone from them. I then asked her why they did not mention that to my husband when he dropped off the phone in the first place!!?? I then said that my husband has to now drive all the way back to midrand from randburg, just to go and get a loan phone that they could have offered him while he was there??!!
My husband then went the next day to pick up a loan phone for me, to use while my phone was being looked at.
The following happened a couple of day ago (Maybe 29th or 30th apr 2010) :
I called [protected] and asked to speak to promise. I was put through directly. I spoke to promise and told her who I was and that I would just like to know what the progress on my phone was. She then said that she thinks that the tech guys are just going to replace the mother-board with a new one. I then said to her that I don’t think that this is going to work. I told her that there is something clearly wrong with the phone and that I suspect that they also just replace the motherboard the last time they had it and it did not work that time either. She said that she cannot do anything, until they give her feedback. The matter was just left there for the time being.
The following happened 2 days ago (6th may 2010) :
I called [protected] and asked to speak to promise. The reception lady asked me my name and job number and I gave it to her. She then asked me what it was in connection with and I told her that I need to know the progress of my phone. She said that promise is not in (Seeing as she took down my details, I suspect that she was told not to put me through when I call her) , but she said that she will put me through to someone else that can assist me. She put me through to a man called tiaan. I asked him what his designation was and he said that he is one of the tech guys. He then also asked me for my job number and said that we will receive a message shortly via sms on my husband’s phone, confirming that my phone is ready for collection. He then also mentioned that the & ldquo;mother-board” was replaced, as he can see on their system. I then told him the whole story about my phone from day one that I got it (As mentioned in the beginning of this letter).
He then told me that he thinks that the phone will work properly and that I should use it for at least a week and then, should I have any further problems with it, give him a call [protected]) and he will then see what to do with the situation. I then said that promise said that htc refuses to replace any non-working phones. He did not respond to the statement, but said that he will try and assist me in every way he can, once the situation arises. I then thanked him for his time and said that I will most definitely let him know within one week, should any problems arise.
The following happened yesterday (7th may 2010) :
My husband went to midrand to pick up my phone. He then had some things to do and only came to me in randburg later in the day.
When he gave me the phone, because it does not have any of my handwriting written on it (With permanent ink) , I immediately saw that it was not my phone and told him to take it back. He then said that I must call the repair centre and report this first.
The following are all the calls made and spent most of my day dealing with this:
1. Tried calling [protected] (Promise, is her name. She told me that she is the supervisor) several times. Each time, no one answered the phone. It just kept on ringing. Never got through to anyone at all.
2. Tried calling [protected] (Tian, is his name. He told me that he is a tech guy) several times. Each time, no one answered the phone. It just kept on ringing. Also never got through to anyone here.
3. Called [protected], spoke to lindy. I asked her politely to speak to one of the managers or supervisors. She asked me why and I told her that I have a serious complaint. She then put me on hold and the line was cut off after about 4 minutes on hold.
4. Called [protected] again and again asked to speak to a manager or a supervisor. I was put through to a lady called keneilwe maseng. I first asked her what her position in the company was and she told me, & ldquo;i am the person that deals with escalations”. I asked her if she does not have some kind of proper designation and she said no.
I then proceeded in telling her about my whole situation and she said that she will investigate and get back to me 1 hour later (16:00).
5. At 16:05, keneilwe maseng has still not called me, so I decided to call her instead. I told the person that answered the phone, that I wished to speak to keneilwe maseng and I was put through to her immediately.
I asked her why she did not call me back and she said that she has finished her investigation and she was about to call me back to give me the result thereof. I don’t think that she ever took the time to actually investigate this matter. She just left the matter and ignored my plea. I want to see the proof of keneilwe maseng actually investigation this matter. Be it recordings, notes that were made and also the people that she spoke to.
She then said that she was told that & ldquo;only the mother board on the phone was replaced and not any other parts of the phone”. I then started getting irritated and said to her that I know that this is what they said, but that is not the truth!! I said that I have told her already that this is not my phone, because I have marked each and every part (All over) of the phone with permanent (Cannot remove) marking pen. She then kept on saying the same thing over and over, repeating the same sentence over and over (“only the mother board on the phone was replaced and not any other parts of the phone”) I then started shouting at her to be quiet and she just kept on repeating the same sentence over and over and over again.
I then stopped and calmly told her to put me through to her supervisor. She then said that she does not have a supervisor. I then told her that she is lying. She cannot be the top of the ladder, seeing as she does not even have a proper designation for her job. She then said, & ldquo;it does not matter if she puts me through to anyone else, because they all will tell me the same thing”. I then told her that she cannot refuse for me to speak to someone more senior than her and she then said again that she does not have anyone more senior than her.
Needles to say, I was at my boiling point and started shouting at her, again, with her repeating the same words over and over again (“only the mother board on the phone was replaced and not any other parts of the phone”).
She then eventually said that she will put me through to a senior person. The next person that I spoke to, was a man called paul ontang. I asking him what his designation is and he said that he is part of call centre. I then said that I asked to speak to someone in senior management and asked why keneilwe maseng put me through to him? He said that he does not know, but maybe he can assist me with something. I then told him that I do not wish to repeat myself again. He then said that I must just tell him everything and he will try and sort it out for me.
I said ok, told him everything and then started telling him where I actually marked the phone. I first said that I marked the phone on the sim card flap. He then repeated what I have said, three times. I then stopped talking for a minute and then asked him if he is screwing around with me, by repeating everything I said, three times. I was really getting irritated by then. Then I moved one to tell him about another area and again he started repeating what I have said a couple of times. I then got so angry (Seeing as it was feeling that he was mocking me, by pretending to be interested in helping me). I then put the phone down. After about 30 seconds, he called me back. I then asked him what he wanted and he said that he wants to find out exactly where my phone was marked and how. I then proceeded in telling him exactly where it was marked. He then said that he will do some investigation and then get back to me with the end result. I then asked him why he would take interest in doing this, because keneilwe maseng already said that they did not replace anything and that there is nothing that they can do. He then said that he knows, but he will investigate anyway.
6. I have always dealt with a man called chris maree at the vodashop in craighall/hyde park and thought it would be good to seek his advice. I tried to track him down, but was told that he does not work there anymore. I was then told to speak to a man called luallen (Craighall vodashop & ndash; [protected]). I then told luallen my whole situation, including the problem I am now dealing with, and he told me that he will find out some things and get back to me the next day at 10:00 with some info. He said that he have had many such complaints from customers, being given someone else’s phone when the tech guys cannot find the problems with their phones. He has still not gotten back to me as yet.
7. After the call with keneilwe maseng, I was so shaken up, that my husband had to take me to our doctor’s offices, to get treated for having an anxiety attack. I cannot believe that someone can make another person so angry by not wanting to admit to something that they have done wrong.
8. I then decided to start writing this letter and blast it out to as many people as I can, in order to get this corruption to an end here in south africa!
Things that I have noted about the phone that I have received (7th may 2010) :
• the phone does not have any of my handwriting on it.
• the battery also does not have my handwriting on it.
• it also has some & ldquo;dots (Marks) & rdquo; on the screen.
• some scratch marks. My phone still had the plastic screen cover on it.
• the & ldquo;sim-slot” has some kind of mould marking on it (Proof of regular use).
• the screen part is a bit bent open at the top.
• two chip marks on the back of the screen slider.
• when you turn the phone in your hand, you can hear that something is loose inside.
• one of the & ldquo;cushions” behind the screen, is broken off.
• the keyboard keys, shows marking of constant use. While I have never used it on my phone, because it was not working properly.
• the & ldquo;camera-flap” in the back, has scratches on it. Where I have never had any reason to remove my flap, it is not supposed to have those kind of scratches on it.
• all the screws on the back of the screen shows tampering with is. I never have removed the screen and nor was it done last time my phone went in for repairs.
• the serial number (I. M. E. I. Number) has been changed (The phone is insured and is now void, because the serial number has changed). Keneilwe maseng said that when the motherboard is changed, the serial number also changed. This has now created big complications on my insurance and this matter has to be dealt with!
The following happened today (8th may 2010) :
No one called me about this matter, nor did I call anyone about it.
I either want my phone back, fix properly with no more hick-ups or I want a brand new phone or all my money back!! Either one of this three, I will not settle for anything less. It is my phone and I have paid for it. If I don’t get it back, it construed to fraud.
I wish to be reimbursed for my time spent on the phone (Not being able to deal with my customers in my business properly) , also, reimbursed for my petrol money, driving to and from vodaworld (Randburg to midrand).
The conversation with keneilwe maseng must have been recorded. Please find the recording and listen to it.
I never ever thought that I would experience such bad service like this.
If vodacom wishes, I would even undergo a & ldquo;lie detector test”, to proof that I am telling the truth about my markings on my phone, no problem!
My contact details: