Visions Electronicsfaulty car starter - no satisfaction

J

Visions car starter: (I am on aish - a federal financial program for the severely handicapped - and am unable to work. Aish is only

$1180/month so I saved a very long time to purchase a car starter).

- car starter purchased feb 2/10 and installed one week later (3 hours) my car is a 2008 corolla.

- one of the remotes (The 2-way one) did not look new, was chipped and gouged and had been opened up. Also, the lock/unlock buttons on the remote were only working intermittently. I went into visions about this and was told I would get a new remote and maybe that would solve the problem. I was also told that if the unlock button didn't work to use the lock button and then the unlock immediately after (Something to do with the "pulse"). The lock-unlock buttons worked when I was at visions.

- got the new remote and it still has intermittent lock/unlock problems. I again went to visions about it and was told to bring in the car again so they could check the installation and product over.

- week later it was checked (2 hours) and I was told it was good to go.

- over the next week or so the lock/unlock continued to malfuction about half of the time but it was completely unpredictable, there didn't seem to be any pattern as to when it worked and when it didn't. I took it back and the visions guy tried it and it worked for him that time again - it was like he didn't believe me.

- got upset and told the guy that I wanted the whole system removed and my money back. I was told that I could have it removed but I would not be refunded the cost of the installation ($150). I asked "even for a problem like this where either the installation or the product is faulty"?. Yes, even then! I was even more upset. The visions guy said "you can yell all you want but that's visions policy". I wasn't yelling.

- during all of this my children (13 and 14) saw the remote not working numerous times. My 24 year old son also drove my car and experienced the same thing.

- went back a few weeks later and spoke to kellin. He said he would order a "brain" and maybe that would help. He again tried the remote at that time and it worked! Aaarrrrrrgh!

- yesterday the starter itself failed to start the car on three different occasions (That was a new thing) and did finally start it.

- I called for kellin (Mar 23/10) and spoke to kelly who didn't think the "brain" had come in yet but who confirmed that it had definitely been ordered. I was told they would let me know when it came in. I never heard back.

- I felt defeated and gave up trying to get satisfaction from visions and thought I would just try to live with it. However over the past few months it is a constant irritation and inconvenience when i'm using my car. I have to put anything i'm carrying down on the ground because I have to use the key to get in the car, I hardly ever even try the unlock/lock buttons anymore, it's so frustrating! = (i have thought several times lately to maybe try to get it fixed again but it just makes me cringe to think of starting this up again with the store here in town so i'm writing to you hoping for a new system that works to be installed or all my money back so I can go elsewhere to purchase a fully functional car starter.

- even though I am severely handicapped and unable to work i'm not stupid or delusional. This thing doesn't work!! The unfunny part is that I chose to go to visions for this major purchase because I figured as a big chain store they would have better products and better service than an independent local company. I've since realized that's not the case. Around the same time I purchased the car starter other members of my family made purchased several high ticket items at visions but since the experience i've had they no longer shop there.

I've read your "100% customer satisfaction" policy and I note that it states that the installation fee will not be returned in case of a problem. Had I known that I would not have bought the item from visions since it simply doesn't make sense. It's not my fault if your employees don't perform well or if the product is faulty. There were no signs/notices posted at the service desk warning of the forfeiture of installation fee in case of problems. Also, regarding the receipt, when I went through the till to pay for the car starter I was given the box with the starter and a pink form in it to take to the service desk. I thought the pink paper was my receipt but after the starter was installed it was gone, it turned out to be the requisition for installation. Since I didn't have a receipt I asked for one and was told I couldn't get a duplicate receipt. Sigh but I do have the hsbc credit card statement that shows when I purchased the item and it was paid for in full in may/10. Please help me.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices