Vision Worksdeceptive advertising, bait and switch

March 7, 2011 I went to the VisionWorks store because I had seen an ad in the Sunday paper with a "buy any frame in the store for $59" notice. When I went to the store with my child I asked the price of the lenses, single vision. I was told that the lenses for a child 17 and under started at $139- on up to $189. I thought this was rather high(!) as I had been doing research prior to this visit. We left without making a purchase.

When I returned home I decided to call the VisionWorks store and confirm the lens price. During that call I was told the single vision lenses ranged from $84- to $139. When I asked the rep if this price applied to the (any style) $59 frames, there was a brief pause, and then she replied: "no, in that case the lenses start at$139."

I questioned why the change in lens prices, since, after all, they were the same just single vision lenses. The rep stated that "the $59- for any frame promotion has one pricing tier for lenses, and for those customers paying full price for frames, there is another pricing tier for lenses". In other words, there is a 2-tier pricing schedule which is inflated for the customer who buys the sale frames; but the customer who pays the regular, non-discounted price for the frames is not charged the inflated mark-up on the lenses, but just the usual selling price.

This business practice is Deceptive Advertising and I am filing a complaint with the Florida Department of Consumer Affairs.

• Bu
    Butterfly217 Sep 30, 2011

I had a similar issue when they had their BOGO promotion. I took my son to get "back up" glasses and was not told that the buy one get one pricing does not apply to children's frames and lenses. They wanted over $500 because the frames were BOGO but not the lenses. They regularly practice false advertising.