Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Cruise Lines Viking River Cruises Cost of hotel charges during quarantine and unused trip on cruise and post hotel

Viking River Cruises  -  Cost of hotel charges during quarantine and unused trip on cruise and post hotel

D
Author of the complaint
12:57 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

RE: Booking number 6331044

Like so many of the complaints I'm seeing online, we also booked, cancelled and then finally sailed on Viking River Cruise in March of 2022

We booked a Paris to Switzerland river cruise in 2021 to sail on March 29 -Apr 10, 2022. We purchased a third-party insurance policy.

We were vaccinated and boosted as everyone else was, I suppose. We were given a PCR test daily, beginning on March 31st, the morning after we arrived in Paris.

All went well until Apr 5th when my husband's April 4th test came back positive with COVID. We were notified that we had to stay in our room and they would deliver dinner when we were ready to order. They asked if we had insurance and asked for our Passports and our credit card. They made copies and returned our originals.

The following morning on April 6th, our transport arrived to take us to a hotel in Frankfurt. Our driver Michael, was going to be our Viking representative and he gave us his phone number and told us to call him if we had any questions. He told us that going forward we would be tested every other day. After we tested negative or after being in quarantine for 10 days, even if we were positive we would be allowed to travel(with a letter from a doctor, that Viking would provide) since we would have met the quarantine guidelines in Germany. On April 7th, I tested positive. On April 17th we were both negative and allowed to travel back home on April 18th. Return travel was arranged by Viking. The hotel issued us a copy of the bill for $6021.00 euro

Upon arrival, we found a letter from the hotel telling us that we actually had adjoining rooms - 208 and 209. I inquired who was paying for this. The hotel did not know. During the week I received calls from other Viking representatives who told me that Viking had to pay for our room and our meals. I kept checking with the front desk at the hotel. They told me there were no charges. Both the Viking representatives and the hotel always called me in room 208. My husband never got a call. Finally, it occurred to me to ask them if there was a bill for room 209. Alas, the bill! At that time, it was around $3,000 euro.

We traveled with family from Chgo. They did not get sick. We learned from them that there was a couple on the ship who tested positive but refused to quarantine and continued to eat in the dining room. Subsequently, they were even seen in the lobby at the Swiss hotel having lunch. Why were there two standards? In all, I understand there were 9 passengers on the ship who got COVID but 2 who refused to quarantine. Is that how we got sick?Did they infect the rest of us? At the Hilton hotel in Frankfurt there were 150 people, all from Viking ships, all with COVID. This was quite shocking to me and I wondered why Viking was not letting guests know about the travel risk. I wonder how many people would sail if they knew that, particularly if they got a big fat bill at the end of the quarantine. By the time we checked out of the hotel on April 18th, the bill reached a whopping $6,021.00 euro. I spoke with another hotel guest who said her husband got COVID, but not her. They were in 1 room?

My travel insurance only covered a max of $2,000 for hotel and meals. I reached out to Viking last week and they told me I would receive an email within 24 - 48hrs letting me know that I would receive a voucher for the unused days of the trip . I asked for a refund for unused gratuities, port charges and taxes. She suggested I call the ports and ask them what they charge, because she didn't know! What about the hotel charges? I haven't received any communication to date. So today, when I called Viking, there was a 1 hr+10min wait! There must be a lot of people trying to get refunds.

The bottom line here is that Viking allowed infected people to move about a small ship without making the risk known to the rest of us, not even a letter in our cabin. After all, we were tested daily so they knew who the people were. They did not communicate responsibility for the hotel charges. I'm looking for some relief with this bill. I would never have stayed in two rooms had I known I'd be billed this way. The food was expensive and we were charged a room service fee with each meal we ordered. The charges of $6021 euro or $6500 US dollars is exorbitant and more than any insurance would have covered. I'm sure Viking has a preferred rate with the Hilton - particularly since there were 150 people in the hotel - all Viking guests with COVID.

You know you have a problem since we can't even reach you by phone. Do the right thing and live up to your reputation. That is the reason we decided to sail with Viking.

Sincerely,