Menu
Verizon
reviews & complaints

Verizon
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

1095 complaints
476 resolved 619 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Verizon. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
R
3:06 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Verizon - no fios coverage being offered

We live in a reasonably new, planned community in upper Rockville, King Farm, where nearly all homes, townhouses and condo buildings are less than 15 years old. Our complaint is that the three condo buildings on the east side of our street, Reserve Champion Drive, have not had FiOS installed, while the townhouses on the west side of the street have. When we have asked the Board of our King Farm Condo Association III about this, they say that they have been told by Verizon that our building is too old (!) and too expensive to wire for FiOS. This makes no sense. Despite all the complaints about Verizon FiOS that I've seen here, we would still prefer to have it installed, rather than the horror stories we hear about a rival telecoms company and their system.

6:20 am EDT

Verizon - misrepresentation of product

Approached by Fios rep at a Walmart store in Hamilton NJ offering packages to switch from cable. Asked what services I currently had and offered a package that matched plus one additional premium channel for a couple of dollars more. Was supposed to include a free 7 inch tablet and $300 gift card. Was told I would receive voucher in the mail for tablet and would just go to the wireless store to pick up. Rep was working from a tablet at showed me details we agreed to prior my signing up. Email confirmation of order did not include gift card offer and tablet required 2 yr contract with Verizon wireless. On installation day I find that I was switched to a plan with no premium channel at all and one less tv with dvr service. In addition my home phone # of 15 years was not transferred as requested and would take 4 days to complete. Have been given incomplete or false info from every polite but clueless powerless rep. After a half hour on chat help and 2 hours on the phone with various people was only given the promise of a call the following afternoon (15 hours later) from customer service supervisor named "John". I couldn't believe my ears. When I asked for an address or dept to file formal complaint was directed to feedback section of their website. Will be filing BBB and FCC complaints. Offered to allow me to cancel that day at no charge which of course is not practical since would be without tv and wireless service indefinitely and of course would have to pay for reinstall. What a nightmare, they are masterful at not taking responsibility. I will be screwed in the end just working to minimize the degree.

6:22 pm EDT

Verizon - failure to honor service contract

I have been a Verizon customer for the last ten years. I've been eligible for a phone upgrade since Nov. 2013 but, since I liked my phone and there was nothing wrong with it, I opted to keep it as long as I could before switching phones. Went to the Verizon store today and was told that they could not honor my upgrade without terminating my existing plan. I have had an unlimited data plan since day one and they now want to terminate my plan and make me pay for a limited data plan. If not, I cannot upgrade to a new phone - even though my account clearly states I have been eligible since Nov 2013 and nowhere does it state it is conditioned with terminating my existing plan. I have checked my account and the only notification of any changes was for an eligible company affiliation discount through my current employer. I also called their main number and was advised a manager would call me back...that was over two hours ago! Unfortunate that they would choose to lose my business, as well as a second line I have with them, versus allowing me to obtain my eligible upgrade and lock into another two year contract. Sad that they do not value loyal customers!

C
6:48 pm EST

Verizon - termination fees

Knowing that our contract was going to expire on January 24, 2014, we planned to port our lines to another provider so it would simultaneously happen with the termination date. I received a bill for $552 for early termination fees on four cell phones. When I spoke with the representative, I was told that I terminated two days early so I'm being charged the fees. However, I learned for the first time in 13 years with Verizon, that as long as you don't select a new phone after the two year contract, you are a "free agent" and not bound to a contract. The contract only becomes active and begins a new two year when you select a new phone. So if I had waited until January 25 to cancel Verizon, I wouldn't have paid termination fees since I didn't order a new phone. I was told the contracts are renewable every two years automatically; the missing link is "only if you select a new phone and sign a contract". That piece of information was never explained. Usually I would select a phone via web, so a new contract was never signed. It's a no brainer if I knew I wasn't "under contract" after two years, don't you think I would have waited until after the two year date to cancel? Now Verizon is saying I have to pay the early termination fees even though it was never explained that after two years if you don't select a new phone, there is no contract! I was told if I ported my phones back to Verizon, the termination fees would be waived. No thanks, I'm saving over $120/month with the new provider. It never ends, does it?

7:53 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Verizon - very large billing mistake

First, let me say that I have been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for something like 12 years now.

I noticed that mine and my wife's plan went from around $140 per month to around $180/month in Nov and Dec 2014. On January 2nd, I called and talked with man at Verizon who told me that for some reason our two phone lines were changed from a combined plan to separate plans--that is why the cost increase. He could not tell my why or who made that change but he would only add a $25 credit back to our account and said he was putting us on a combined plan for $140/month with 10 gigs data. Great! I wanted more credit back but oh well...

Then, I get a text around 2 weeks later that says my upcoming Verizon bill is over $1100. WHAT!? I immediately call and get a nice woman at Verizon who tells me that the previous gentleman that I called put me on an 80 gig plan that costs over $1000/month. She was very sorry and after something like an hour with her on the phone she said: a) the previous gentlemen who put me on that plan would get talked to by management, b) she would put me on that $140/month 10 gig plan, c)she would submit a request for the $1000+ credit to my account that would take 3-4 days to be approved.

Next, I checked my account balance over the next two weeks and called a couple of times and each time was told that the request would definitely go through but hadn't yet.

Then, I went to a corporate Verizon Store ( a one hour drive since I live in rural Montana) because I thought that a face-to-face conversation might help. I was told the same thing. The request for credit/refund was in and would be approved soon. I should be patient. It was their fault but it was a large amount so takes time.

Finally, I just got a text message showing a credit had come through. Only it was not for $1000+ that I was charged for Verizon's mistake. It was for a measly $125...and my bill due is still over $1000. What should I think is going on? I have a huge outrageous bill due to a mistake by Verizon putting me on a 80 gig plan when I use around 4.5 gigs/month and they refund me 1/10th of their mistake? Is this how loyal customers of 12 years are treated? Am I going to have to switch to Straight Talk? If I wanted bad/non-existent customer service I would already be with Straight Talk.

Does anyone know who I can talk to to resolve this? I have not gotten anywhere yet and am getting towards the end of my rope. Is there some kind of federal or state authority that can help me with this? I really don't want to have to get a lawyer to resolve this. Please help

1 comment
B
Jan 31, 2015 8:59 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Call and ask to speak to a billing supervisor and make sure you get their name and ID number. And then ask to speak to THEIR supervisor if they don't give you a satisfactory answer, again making sure you document EVERYTHING...everyone you talk to the time, date, etc. Every call is recorded "for quality assurance" in reality its to provide them with proof should you say you didn't agree to something. there should be a record in your acct of who put you on that plan, and they should be able to pull the phone record as proof. At least that is the route i would go.

4:41 pm EST

Verizon - Nearly impossible to unsubscribe

It is nearly impossible to find a way to withdraw from Verizon Select once you agree to enter. The 611 cust. service number knows nothing about this program. The Smart Rewards people claim it is not their thing to handle. The lady on that line said to withdraw my agreement to receive emails and that would withdraw my consent. NO, it does NOT. Buried somewhere deep in the web site is an option to withdraw consent. You cannot find it listed in the FAQ about the program or on any page. Verizon forum support will not post the answer, only reply privately to someone who poses the question. What does Verizon have to hide? I stumbled onto the web page to withdraw consent by accident. Here it is: https://ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/mcm/mcmDisplayPreferences.action I don't know if you copy and paste this link if it will take you there, but this is where I found it. The Verizon Smart Rewards person said the program tracks only your purchases on its Smart Rewards program. NOT TRUE. It tracks your behavior on your cell phone. While the program is fair game for marketing, hiding the exit is akin to locking the doors for a fire escape. Shame on Verizon! This is not a Smart Rewards program, this is a Venus fly trap for phone users.

D
1:06 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As a customer of Verizon FIOS for many years, when my contract was up and I re-signed for another 2 years, I was promised a $200 Visa Gift card after 90-days of service. Fast forward and also having confirmed one month after signing up that yes, I did qualify for the offer. But after 90-days came and went and dealing with dozens of Verizon Support staff...

G
8:51 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Verizon - unable to keep existing unlimited plan to avail of phone upgrade pricing

We have been with verizon wireless for years on an unlimited data plan. We passed up on eligible upgrades since we thought our phones were still ok. This year, we decided to finally upgrade our old phones. Unfortunately, verizon will not honor our upgrade eligibility if we won't give up our unlimited data plan, meaning we have to pay full price for our new phones or dwitch to a limited or tierred data plan. Before this incident, they have been calling us to downgrade saying that we would save a lot of money since we use minimal data between our phones. We told them that we would like to keep our plan despite them saving and gaining from us. I find it poor business for such a large company to not honor our current plan and force us to change it to what they like or pay full price ... like we were not long time customers. They talk about valuing our business...but they are doing the exact opposite. If not for my husband, I'd go somewhere else. It is just a matter of time before I will leave verizon.

5:45 pm EST

Verizon - stole my money and hung up on me

In august of 2014 I called verizon to cancel my mobile phone - I lost my job and could no longer afford the bill. Instead, I was told, I could suspend my service for up to six months as to not pay a cancelation fee. I opted for the suspension, knowing I would be back on my feet by then and thought it was covered.

I now have a letter from collections saying I owe $473.13.

When I called verizon for some information about the bill I was told by the representative that she knows for a fact that verizon only issues 90 day suspensions (Calling me a lier). And nothing could be done even though for years I had been a loyal verizon customer and was planning on reactivating my phone.

I reexplained my situation and expressed my astonishment at the fact that apparently 6 month extensions did not exist. I felt as if my questions were not answered and I was desperate to figure out what happened, I asked to speak with a manager.

I was kept on hold for 15 min before the line disconnected.

I expected more form a company I was loyal to for years. Shame on your professionalism, and shame on your customer service skills.

I'll go to at&t.

D
4:57 pm EST

Verizon - internet changed to slower speed

I renewed my contract with verizon wiith a slower dsl speed they said I would not notice,

Well I do notice, I can't do anything. I check my speed and it is less than .5MPS - I have tried everything to upgrade and am told I can't.
Why am I paying for something I can not use. $20 a month times 2 years $1200.00 and then after my two year contract they
will increase my speed so I can use the internet and lock me in again? I don't think so. All I wanted to do was an upgrade on my speed which would be more money in their pocket

AT&T is offering packages with Directv and I think they will get my business next.

C
7:59 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a Verizon Optimus Zone Android cell phone from Family Dollar 12/12/2014 for $34.00, tax 2.38, total $36.38. All the cell phones were in a locked cage, so the only information I could see about this phone was on the outside of the box. It says Verizon unlimited talk and text, no annual contract. I purchased the phone and took it to Verizon to...

A
11:26 am EST

Verizon - don't waste money – bad provider and impossible to get any help from them

The worst provider ever. I paid $80 to the company www.verizonfios.com for the package, which consisted of the Internet, phone and TV. At the beginning, it was ok, a little bit slow, but ok. I meant everything worked. After that the Internet stopped to work, but the TV and phone other worked really great. But when the Internet was ok, the TV didn’t show. I called to the customer services and complained, but they only promised to help. The worst company and support.

7:28 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We entered into a 2 year contract with Verizon Fios on June 1, 2013 with 3 tv equipment for a monthly price of $112.41 for internet, phone and cable bundle services with a door sale representative from Verizon Fios. After waiting a couple of weeks and sitting through a no-show on Verizon installation, we finally had Verizon installed in our home, however...

J
2:44 pm EST

Verizon - half-assed commercial

You can tell from this commercial that the Verizon target audience is dumb jerks who watch sports and pour beer down the front of themselves, but that is no excuse for such a crass, childish, crude commercial as the "Christmas Presents" spot that is currently running. They might have gotten away with it if the directing had been more adept, with the actors unaware or surprised by what they had just said. But nooooo, they give sly, nasty sleazy looks that make it what it is, a tip-toe through the gutter. And casting a child in this low-life family adds to the creepiness. When my Verizon contract runs out, I'll switch.

12:23 am EST

Verizon - over billing

Psa: verizon alert!
Learn from my mistake... Be sure to check your bill every month... I mean the complete bill. Verizon has been over charging me for the last 6 months for a service line that I disconnected in april of this year and I just noticed that line was still being billed to my line. I became relaxed on my due diligence in checking what I requested was handled. Contacted them last month to advise them of the charge and was told I would be refunded the full amount for the 6 month charge, but to date I did not receive the credit. I called again and was told that they need me to provide any details other than my say that I cancelled the service. They basically said that I would have to prove that I called in in april. After attempting to find something, which I knew was not going to happen because I shred every quarter, so any previous paper bills with any notes were gone, I insisted that this be escalated and the long story short, verizon refunded me minus $25.00. Good, but not great, my bill is paid every month on time in the full amount and I have been with this company for over 20 something years... I am insulted that they did not credit the full amount that they have been billing me for and to add insult, they tried to put the own-nest on me to prove that their employee did not update my record, nor make adjustment to my service as requested. Verizon just said to me with this action that they do not value their customers and are willing to lose them over $25. It's the principal and not the $25. All contracts have expiration dates.
#dontrefundme75%whenyouexpecta100%paymenteverymonth.

A
12:51 am EDT

Verizon - hidden fees

We bought a Samsung cell phone. Our "bill" from that showed zero balance for activation and upgrade fees. We then received our Verizon bill with fees for activation and upgrade. When I called and asked why my original bill did not show such fees, I was told that I had gone to an Verizon outlet store. I never heard of a Verizon Outlet store. The explanation given was ludicrous...cannot wait for this contract to expire so we can get out...wish the FCC would monitor...Verizon is scamming their consumers.

5:26 pm EDT

Verizon - no show appointment

I received a mailing offering a special price for wireless home Internet to which I responded and placed an order. Verizon was to come out today between noon and 4:00 to install. They didn't show up and didn't call. At 4:10 I started calling to try and cancel my order because of the no show issue. It is now 6:12, I am on hold with the 17th Verizon agent and nobody seems to be able to cancel my order. I have talked to people in India (who I couldn't understand) and people all over the country. These people are idiots. Even though my email confirmation came from Verizon Wireless, the wireless dept. keeps transferring me to other departments saying they don't have wireless home internet service. Idiots! I finally found someone who located my order but I'm being told they aren't able to cancel my order. STAY AWAY FROM VERIZON. They don't even seem to know what services they are selling. I guess I'm lucky I found out before I was stuck with the service and a 2 year contract.

L
5:09 pm EDT

Verizon - unethical business practice, dishonesty

I would not have entered into the "agreement" had I not "trusted" verizons' cistomer representative to make the promises and that those promises-once made and agreed on-would be honored.
Not needing the "features phone" (which was eligible for upgrade), that 'slot' was taken by one of our two daughters, so that she could upgrade an older phone she was using.
The next "step" offered by the verizon customer service representative; was to send us a home phone connect line {which I believe was a rwlatively "new service offering"}…I was told that; since there w a s yet another old "slot/phone number" available on our account. «this was a line some 5 years old, from when I had purchased the very first available android {samsung galaxy 7"tablet ich-i800 verizon} which was no longer functional, and was also"fully paid off-under contract"it had the cell # [protected] & was eligible for"upgrade".
Now, these are the facts { as I recall them }, and as I wrote them out in my notebook. the phone call on which all pf this transpired, I believe occured on a weekend day [over 2 days/single call], because it spanned several hours on either side of midnight.

I will endeavor to relay the promises made in conjunction with this based on memory and written notes. I know that there is some record of this conversation in your possession, because I have spoken with several representatives in an attempt to get this resolved.
Because it was not necessary to procure a new phone number/line {[protected] was available and no longer needed}, I was told that I would only have to pay $10 for the home connect line for the full 2 years of the contract - since essentially, it was just a"replacement features phone"
Since this was a new service, and we were loyal customers, the first 12 month period of $10/mo. fee could/would be waived as part of the current"new service for existing customers"verizon offering.
Additionally, for the first 12 month period, the remaining"cost"factor of approx. $10/mo {equating to the regular $19.99/mo.} could/would be waived as a courtesy for all of the"problems"we had encountered, for agreeing to remain verizon customers, and for being willing to"close the deal tonight".
Finally, since under the terms of the plan so far, I would be required to pay $10/mo. for the remaining 12 mo. period of the"contract", he was authorized to send me a"gift visa card"that I could use for"anything", in the amount of $100.00
Therefore, and in all"practical terms", getting the home connect would not cost me anything, and any charges would be more than compensated under the terms of this agreement.

Now, final comments;
Upon entering this conversation late one evening, I was fully prepared to express my displeasure with verizon as a business, and relinquish my"features phone"to save the current $9.99/mo. cost as that contractual period was finished.
The customer representatives' sales 'pitch' went along these lines:
"what if I can get you the home connect, without cost-even putting a dollar back in your pocket?, would you be willing to stay with verizon for another contract period?
The call (or at least portions of it were recorded), I had to verify {after signifying my acceptance} with another person-I was told supervisor to ensure my understanding of the terms.
Realistically, I have to appeal to your rationality here:
Why, under any circumstances, would I have agreed to a plan that would have the opposite effect-raising my monthly cost for the new program verizon was offering, giving up two lines ignoring any benefit, but elect to increase my monthly verizon cost.
I have been charged for and paid full price (19.99/mo.) for the home connect, I have not recieved any gift card, and I have attempted on four occassions to get help and/or answers. it is simply and clearly - at best wrong treatment and customer ill-will. at worst it is fraudulant in nature, and unethical as business practice.
[protected]) for customer service rep

1 comment
Sep 23, 2011 10:08 pm EDT

Verizon wireless sells Home Phone service that is inoperable as the cell signal will not support communications via access. I was told i would still be liable for the 2 year service agreement irrespective of the service not being available/functional at my fixed address for which it was purchased. Verizon will not let me out of the agreement even though I cannot use the service as the cell signal is too low here to support such.

7:22 pm EDT

Verizon - false representation

Due to the large unannounced increase in our monthly bill, I had reduced our services earlier in the summer. On September 2, 2014 I called Verizon to sign up for the "Red Zone". I was told that the package I currently had would not allow for the "Red Zone". When the rep quoted me the price I would have to pay for the premium service, I said no. Instead of leaving it alone, he told me that he could give me a great discount if I locked into a two year contract. I'd also be receiving upgraded equipment and a $200 certificate for a tablet from the Verizon Store. My monthly bill with tax would be $137 - $140. I could afford that, so I signed up. Two weeks went by and we didn't receive anything so we called. There was no order sent for new equipment or the tablet certificate. They saw it in the system but nothing was processed. I was told they were going to take care of it and they told me I'd be receiving it in about 5-7 business days. Two weeks went by and nothing came so we called again. This time we were told that there was never an order placed and I could pay for new upgrades if I wanted them. There was no certificate either. They offered to transfer me to another department to straighten that out. Which they never did. I was also told that my bill is $199 per month and when I questioned it, I was being charged $30 for new equipment I never received that was suppose to be free, and $30 for fees and taxes. When I said that was not was not the price I was quoted even with tax, they apologized that I was misquoted. When I said that I was blatenly lied to, they told me that if I wanted to cancel I would have to pay out the rest of the contract because there was nothing they could do. Then the rep named "Tom" refused to cancel my services until I had a new company to port my telephone number to and my contract was paid out.

7:16 pm EDT

Verizon - 3 days of lies

Ok, I have something I need and want to rant about because I want everyone to know just how bad Verizon is to the general public: On Sunday I proceeded to place an order for two iPhones and am on the edge up plan so one of the phones was not quite 50% paid off so they took our bank card and we paid the remainder of the 50% that was due on the phone. I also opened another line with them and started a two year contract with that number. So, ultimately we ordered 1 iPhone plus and 1 iPhone 6 and were told that the ship date would be 9/19. Monday I receive an email that showed 2 iPhone 6's being ordered so I call Verizon and apparently the guy screwed up so I said fine, whatever, so they put the plus back on order. Not happy at all but people make mistakes right? later that evening I receive an email that the order has been cancelled. Another call to Verizon and this time I speak to a Supervisor who tells me that the eligibility was not met for whatever reason and I go on to explain that we paid the 50% which was our obligation to edge up according to our contract. SO she places the order again but this time we can't get the 6 plus so he has to get the 6 in order to get it on the 19th and assures me we will still get the phones on 9/19 and he can swap it out at the store. Supervisor even gives me her personal email incase anything happens. Low and behold that evening I receive an email that the order has been cancelled AGAIN. I call verizon back again on my lunch (mind you this is the second day I have spent my lunch hour handling this), speak to a rep who assures me that my order is STILL IN PROCESS and will have a supervisor call me. Never received a call so called them back after I get off work and demand a supervisor, at this point I was not being nice and my patience had ran thin. I get another supervisor after holding for SEVERAL minutes and after another hour of arguing with this guy who knew no more than the reps did, he places my order once again for the iPhone that was screwed up in the beginning and even goes as far as sending me a screen shot of the order, credit on account of $50, and his personal word in the email guaranteeing me that the phone will be swapped as soon as the correct one is available in the store, AND takes our payment again for the 50% due on the phone according to the edge up plan. Once again, no shipment confirmation was received this morning so I email Brandon, the last supervisor, who writes back assuring me that I should receive it by this evening and he is going to stay on top of the account and keep me posted throughout the day. I NEVER heard another word from him and of course, guess what happened? Another email saying the order was cancelled. Furious is an understatement for what I was when I seen this email. I call Verizon once again after I get off work and demand another supervisor. 40 minutes later I get a supervisor on the phone and while I'm holding a rep tells me that a supervisor told him to tell me that it is getting cancelled because I have to have the phone for 6 months before edging up. I told the rep this is NOT what my contract states and I demand a supervisor. Finally I get a supervisor who ends up telling me that that rep was told wrong and that was not the case. WOW! Up until now, I had not even been told that at all and mind you I have spoken to two supervisors so far. So, after another 30 minutes with this supervisor, his final reason for all the cancellations was that you have to have good payment history and apparently verizon requires at least 6 months of being a customer with them in order to meet that requirement. Nowhere in my contract does it state that. It does say good payment history and says you must have paid off at least 50% of the phone. No offer at all of anything for the hassle, being lied to, all the time spent, or all the aggravation. NOTHING! I'm in a huge dilemma right now because I truly want to just cancel with Verizon right now but we just switched to them in May from AT&T (not my decision mind you). But I am so upset at how this was handled that now I don't feel comfortable with anything they tell me. We also switched a few months ago to their cable and Internet and once again we were lied to about what we would get as well as the monthly payment. We will be canceling that though!

Verizon contacts