Valvoline Oil Changeover charge - deceptive

I got the coupon from an online Valvoline ad for $21.99 so I thought since Valvoline endorsed it the place must be on the up-and-up. But here is what I experienced. it was for a 2009 Lexus RX 350. They will tell you that they'll take the coupon but once you are in the bay. they said that there is an $8 up charge because of a special filter. There there is another $5.99 for an extra quart of oil. I understand the additional oil but the filter should not be a special filter because it's just a regular Toyota filter. And if there is a charge then it should have been printed on the coupon so you don't feel like you made a trip to the shop and waste your time and gas if you don't get it done. And the crew was very arrogant. I know enough about cars and I used to change my own oil, brakes, and tune-up, so I was not intimidated. But they talk to you like they know better than you. Long story short, I rolled out of there with a bill of $42. For $36 I could have gone to my own Lexus dealer and got genuine Lexus parts. I will never go back there again. And by the way, what the heck is Valvoline thinking just signing up any shops out there? What a wreck to put their name on these businesses. I will not go to another Valvoline oil service until I see a change from bad to a 90% approval rating from rating sites like this. Peace Out.

• Ck
    ck76 Nov 04, 2009

You have to read the fine print. The coupon states 5 quarts of oil are included in the oil change. The oil filter charge on the other hand should have been disclosed before service. The oil filter on your make is not just an "ordinary" toyota filter. It is a canister style filter (not a typical "spin on" filter) wich requires special tools and extra time to service. They also come at a higher cost to the service center, so unfortunately it does get shifted to the consumer.

• Cc
    CCecilia Jun 30, 2014

Be sure to just stick with an oil change. Was just there today and they were trying to convince me to change Subaru's rear deferential fluid. 1st, their price is $99. I called a Subaru dealership and theirs is only $40. 2nd, I found out I don't really need it, since you only need to have it checked starting 30, 000 miles (my car's mileage is way less than that). Beware. They will try and try and try to offer you services you don't really need. Quite annoying. I am not going back there.