USAAnot sure about usaa... denied hail damage

I'm considering leaving USAA after 18 years with them for auto, some renters and home owners for the last 7 years. They denied our roof had hail damage, after sending out their own inspector. I should have pushed it more and gotten our own inpsection done, but I was trusting USAA. It turns out that everyone in our neighborhood who has replaced their roofs in the last couple years has had it paid through their insurance. Kind of funny how ours is the only one that wasn't caused by the storm... I know that they're crappy roofs that didn't have much life left in them, but everyone else is getting theirs fully paid for, except for small deductibles (not 2% and they didn't figure out how much life was left in them...) I'm a little irritated b/c we paid for our own roof (8K) and everyone else is getting theirs for free! And from reading things on here, I'm now worried about how much we would get if we were broken into or had a fire. I always assumed it would be the amount listed on our policies (for replacement value and amount of personal property), but it sounds like you have to pay for the amount they tell you to pay for, but then you have to prove it. Grrr!

Santa68 Dec 11, 2009

It sounds like they're saying you didn't have enough damage to warrant a replacement...that's different then refusing to pay the claim. Get a copy of the adjuster's report and find out why he/she denied the claim, if that's the case. And trust me, if USAA denied it then so would another company...they're the most honest people out there.

• Th
    thejunction32 Jan 11, 2010

I beg to differ Santa68. I'm presently going through the exact same issue with USAA. I've had two adjusters in the past year tell me that I have hail and wind damage, but USAA will not cover the replacement of my roof. USAA sent out their own adjuster, who did no more than climb to the edge of my roof and look at a small section. He claimed that my 13 year old homes roof was damaged due to normal wear-and-tear. There's no way that this is true, especially since I've had the two other adjusters (one adjuster actually works regularly with USAA) state that hail and wind damage is obvious. The first adjuster actually had me watch while he grab a 5 feet section of my shingles and lifted it off my roof, stating that wind damage had snapped my shingles in half all over the top of my house. I'm still fighting this issue with USAA and hopefully they'll do the right thing and replace my roof.

• Md
    MDaz Mar 03, 2010

I'm going with the same. And leaving them after having been customer for over 28 years. Having all of our family members leave them too. The are not to be trusted, not to be thought of as knowledgeable or accurate, and certainly not to be known for having great customer service response. Sure they might answer the phone within minutes but keep at trying to get and answer and see if you ever get the same one or one at all.

• 1q
    [email protected] Jun 27, 2011

Major hail storm in Bellbrook Ohio a few weeks ago. USAA told me"good news, you only have minor damage." Good news for them, but as I just had this roof put on last November I want a new roof... like everyone else on the block. The tennis-ball size hail trashed every gutter and down spout (plus 2 of my cars), but some how miraculously spared the roof. Their initial quote would not have covered the gutters. They are coming back out here to look at it again and suggested I have my roofer here to help explain/show them the damage. Not sure if the roofer will be free to accommodate, but I refuse to accept this non-sense from USAA. We'll see in the coming days/weeks how much trust I have in this company.

• Wo
    woops88 Dec 01, 2011

[email protected] I hope you are still checking this site. I would like to know how it worked out. I am having the same issue with USAA and I have been with them for over 20 years. I am definitely leaving them. Every house around me had hail damage. I can't understand how my house was spared. My roofer was appalled. I am disgusted. What else can be done?

• Sb
    sbru2 Apr 28, 2012

There are so many things that are taken in to consideration when conducting an inspection for hail damage. What was the storm direction, is there collateral damage (to gutters, siding, soft metals, window screens, fins on an a/c unit, etc), what is the condition of the roof, are there trees providing shelter, etc? Many roofs do sustain minor hail damage and are considered repairable. Imagine you have a dent in your bumper. Would you expect your insurance company to total your car? Keep in mind that many carriers handle claims over the phone & don't inspect the house. They just tell their customer to get 3 estimates from roofers which indicate the cause of loss (hail in your instance). They usually just settle on the middle of the road estimate without inspecting it. And what roofer is going to say there is no damage or a roof can get fixed? They have a financial interest in replacing the entire roof...it's their bread & butter. Staff adjusters at insurance companies receive their paycheck whether they pay a claim or not. So, there is no financial motive there to not pay for a claim. Also, it is much, much easier to find damage and replace the roof vs. allowing for repairs or the loss is below the deductible and having to deal with an irate customer. Trust me, if an adjuster can find enough legitimate, honest hail damage, they will pay for the roof to be replaced. Unfortunately, insurance does not pay for things because they are old, worn out, reached the end of their intended life span, etc. Wear & tear, maintenance, deterioration, etc are standard, industry wide exclusions. So, it's not just a USAA thing.