University Of Phoenix Onlinemisleading about getting just a grant

S

Hello,
My name is Shannon. My email is [protected]@yahoo.com. I wrote the letter below in 2008 to dispute the loan connected with the University of Phoenix, which was acquired in the year of 2007. This letter went out to : The Student Loan Corp, United States Department of Education Inspector General Hotline, Axia College of University of Phoenix Douglas Beckwith, PhD, JD Dean and Executive Director.

After receiving emails from the University of Phoenix, an enrollment counselor eventually contacted me; his name will be provided upon request. This counselor discussed my options of continuing my education and about how many hours I had from a local college that would transfer over. He told me he thought I would probably only need about four classes. (This later turned out to be seven!)

I told him that the only way I could take classes through U of P was with a grant. I explained to him that I already had a large amount on a credit card and I didn’t want another large bill.

His words were, “I understand.”

After listening to me explain further about my problems finding employment, as well as my divorce in 2005, he explained to me that I should have no trouble getting a grant, mainly because I haven’t been employed. He explained to me how I would better myself and have a better chance of finding employment with a degree.

During the process of filling out the paperwork, information about loans was requested. I questioned him about this and wanted to know why is the U of P asking information about a loan if I am applying for a grant?

His words were something like this; “You more than likely won’t get a grant if you don’t fill out the loan information.” As he kept talking, I was led to believe that I would not even be considered for a grant to take classes if I didn’t fill out these loan papers.

Again I reminded him that I already had a large amount on a credit card and I didn’t want another large bill. I didn’t want a loan. I wanted a grant.

As we continued to talk, and as he was going over my start date, he told me he wasn’t sure if I would even get the grant in time to start the classes that they had scheduled me to start.

I said well then, I guess I won’t start classes because unless I had a grant, I could not take classes. Again I reminded him that I didn’t want a big bill, and I always repeated the amount of my bill that I already had and that I didn’t want another big bill.

He kept saying he understood.

The day classes started he called and told me he had exciting news. He said my “grant’ came through.

No mention of any loan.

No mention of the amount classes would be and that some of it would have to be a loan.

He told me that since classes had already started, I could go ahead and sign in and begin and I would catch up.

Every time a new 9wk term started, someone from the U of P would contact me and tell me each time classes would start that everything was okay and to start classes.

As time went on - - and after I found out that I had to take more than four classes, I received a check in the mail. I had a friend at the time that had experience in receiving grants and she told me that sometimes they give you extra money to live on while taking classes. And we thought that what this was because surely the University gets their money first.

I thought to myself …okay…

I soon found out, as my degree plan was coming to an end, that I not only had a grant, but I also had a huge loan.

I was devastated!

No one in their right mind, especially a female, age 51, with the economy the way it is and jobs for even the youngest graduating very scarce  with a two year college six miles down the road and a four-year college 30 miles up the road would considered paying $7, 000 to $9, 000 for four to seven classes!

No one would!

I surely would have not!

I was lead to believe I had a GRANT!!!

If I had known about this loan, you can bet “your” bottom dollar that I would have said, “Thanks, but NO THANKS!”

I want to pursue a lawsuit against this college for scamming me (and maybe many others) by not being up front on the "true" cost of taking these classes.
Again my email is [protected]@yahoo.com
Shannon

• Uo
    UofPhoenix Sep 19, 2011

Hello,

Please know that the University has a department that reviews complaints of this nature. I encourage you to contact the Office of Dispute Management to file a formal grievance. They can be reached at [email protected]u or [protected].

Kind regards,

Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator
    for the University of Phoenix

• Sh
    Shannaj88 Sep 16, 2011

Well let's put "stupid" up against "English words and their meaning 101" and a supposedly credited college that supposedly (and yes I used the same word two times in a sentence...a sometimes English taboo when writing) hires competent employees...back to English words 101 and their meaning... "you can get a grant since you are divorced and haven't been working"... "i don't want a loan I have a large credit card bill"... and oh yes... the employee's words... "I understand"... and don't forget when he calls and says..."your grant came through!!!"... now Mr. comment person above... read the quotes... and then ...r u stupid? ...You don't by chance work for the U of P... surely you have better things to do if you don't... I mean... really...reading complaints so you can try to "put down" people... Get A Life!

Leslie Floyd Sep 15, 2011

my husband just started there at U OF P and reading this is scarry for us because we have 4 children and hes just now starting at this school and now we see this. would u explain more to me my email is [email protected] thank u very much this is helpful to us

Leslie Floyd Sep 15, 2011

i need to know what i can do about this since i sent them the money

Leslie Floyd Sep 15, 2011

Igot a letter that said i won 2millon dollars and SO it said that I had to send them the fee of 11.89 so I did an Its a lil late for me bc i already sent the money thinkin that ok mayb this is real i mean it does look real to me and the people i asked to look at it i mean come on im a mother of 4 kids so i took a chance now i c it on here that it could be idenity theft and now im worried sowhat can i do about this