Having problems with TurboTax?

PO Box 7850
Mountain View, California
United States - 94039-7850

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with TurboTax.

Complaints & Reviews

Turbo Taxtax identity theft

My story is probably similar to many others. I received a refund check for my federal taxes and hadn't even filed my taxes yet. After hours and days of trying to resolve the issue, I learned that the fraudulent claim was processed using Turbo Tax. There are a number of citations on the internet describing Intuit's failure to safeguard taxpayer's by ensuring that fraudulent returns cannot be filed. Their tool and its ease of use in perpetrating fraud should be investigated and those harmed by their negligence in not properly addressing shortcomings in their process. In fact, one article points to Intuit Executives negligence in this way, describing the response when an employee proposed a process to address the issue "But MacDougall said he was stunned when his boss emphatically rejected his idea for use on TurboTax accounts. Instead, she brought up the fraud-as-a-balloon analogy, MacDougall said. “She said ‘You can use this on any other product except TurboTax’, ” MacDougall said. “I asked why we wouldn’t want to use this on our flagship product, and her answer was that this was an industry problem and not just a TurboTax problem.” Only after Intuit was forced to temporarily suspend state filings earlier this month did the company’s chief executive announce plans to beef up the security of customer accounts." (http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/02/turbotaxs-anti-fraud-efforts-under-scrutiny/) In fact, this facilitates perpetrators ability to use Turbo Tax to commit fraud. It is my understanding that Senator Orrin Hatch is attempting to address this issue. I will be forwarding a copy of this post to him and my own Representatives and Senators.

Turbo Taxchange of fee

I started working on my taxes with a "free" online turbotax program that had a fee for the state filing. I had previously purchased the program at Costco but had not gotten around to it yet this year. After going back to it for several evenings, I was finally able to complete the filing only to see that I was going to have to pay for Federal AND state, over $100. Going back into a fresh site, I see the new price change only available, not my previous option of free federal and pay for state. What's up with that? Seems like a bait and switch. Suppose I'll start all over with another program or buy it at Costco instead of the deceptive online version.

Turbo Tax / Santa Barbara Tax Products Grouptax refund hacked

I filed for my 2014 Tax return on 01/22/2015 with Turbo Tax . It was Accepted on 01/23/2015. I opted for turbo tax to take my fee's out of turbo tax. I received a response from "Where is my refund on IRS website that my refund of $8767.00 was approved and to be direct deposited on Feb 4, 2015 . On Feb 4th, 2015. Nothing was deposited into my checking account. I called IRS after a few days, they told me I had to wait 21 days before they could look into anything. I waited the 21 days still no deposit into my checking account. Today after a few days of just getting recording on the IRS phone line . I got threw to a live person at the IRS . They says IRS sent my money to A turbo Tax company with University National bank at [protected] also sbtpg.com (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group LLC: Tax Refund ) . I called them they said someone Hacked into the turbo Tax and changed my checking account routing number and account number on Feb 2, 2015, 2 days before my direct deposit was supposed to be deposited into my correct checking account . This should of been a Big red flag with Santa Barbara Tax Products Group LLC - they should of notified me. IRS website says that if there is any problem with direct deposit they will mail you a paper check. There should of been no way that someone can change my direct deposit information and be able to hack into Turbo Tax . I was told to file a police report, contact IRS, and file a report with the FTC. Santa Barbara Tax Products Group LLC says they will do an investigation, IRS will investigate . No idea how long this could take, possible 6 months or longer. This is a total nightmare . Turbo Tax and Santa Barbara Tax Products Group LLC where totally hacked and now . I have no idea if I will ever get my tax return this year.

MakiaRayford Mar 22, 2016

I'm going through the samething now, I'm unsure if I've been hacked but I filed my taxes on February 29th 2016 the IRS said that the check was put into my account on March 9th TurboTax says that I should have received it on March 21st but if it was already in my account on March 9th why am I waiting more days till March 21st passes which was the 21-day deadline, and it is now March 22nd and I still have no money in my account and I've been calling the IRS I've been calling TurboTax I've been doing automated systems back and forth and it's still the same thing very unsure if this is going to turn out right but I have my fingers crossed because God is good all the time and I pray he has his hands in this.

Turbo Taxrude customer service

I did my friends taxes and when I looked at the email it said it was rejected so when I called to find out why because online was no help the rude Indian man told me it was hacked and my friend would have to pay again for protection. when I questioned him he told me "do you understand English go [censored] yourself" and hung up!! I called back and finally talked to a supervisor who didn't help me with my problem and then proceeded to tell me that the lines sometimes cross and that no one in his department would talk to a customer like that!! when I looked on the IRS website it in fact said that the tazes were still in the process of being reviewed so I don't know why turbo tax said it was rejected!!

TurboTaxRip off

Bought the CD downloaded it it isnt explanatory nor complete .I called their line ended in Texas they had a hard time finding the canadian phones number as it isnt on there anywhere waited another hour only to find out the CD isnt complete and is hard to understand said by the person on the phone at turbotax.The only thing turbo about it is your money gone ..oh and try to fill the form for the refund good luck it doesnt download to your email to fill it out .ANNNND where to send it when your done if ever nothing on there to tell you. Plus it says when your finished the supposed èasy `question answer form that it isnt correct but wont tell you why or where.

You have to go have it printed fill it out then scan and the numbers the receipts etc.turbosick ps i am a senior and dont need this kind of hassle I only have three forms or t4s to submitt spent 6 hours trying and 2 on the phone waiting for nothing.This company should be ashamed oh and they try to make you upgrade for more money.

Rip off

Turbo Tax Onlineled me to believe I needed to upgrade only to find out I was qualified for the free version

I decided to file online with Turbo Tax because they stated it was free until Feb. 16. I filed on Feb. 13 listing only my husbands basic salary and my $154 retirement final payment from a 1099r. I did the paperwork ahead of time on federal forms and was eligible to file 1040ez.. When I filed with turbo tax, after spending an hour filing out forms online, I get to the end and they pop up a message stating I need to pay for an deluxe account. They charged me $77 needlessly. My complaint is that they mislead customers onto their site and then mislead them into believing they must upgrade. I had a friend file an identical return with identical information and they just kept saying skip and they were able to file their return for free.

Turbotax Free EditionBait and switch

I have always used Turbo Tax Free Edition for my taxes, and there has never been any charge for federal or state (Oregon). However, this year I was about 1/2 through my taxes when I was informed that since I have to claim my Oregon tax refund from last year as income on this years taxes..I can't use the free edition - I have to pay. What!? I checked the last 3 years of filings, everything (except the numbers) are exactly the same...claimed state tax refund as income, itemized my deductions, etc...all the same. It has always been free...ALWAYS. It ended up costing me over $70 to file my "free for everyone" taxes, and I only make a little over $20, 000 annually. I called the 800 number to complain [protected]), and the individual said that this year Turbo Tax changed all the various options "so they are consistent between online & purchased products". I don't care about that, I care they have apparently downgraded each and every version so that virtually everyone has to upgrade to the next high level of product. According to the internet - there is a growing tide of irate customers and their stock is plummeting. Good - customers rule! If we don't buy because you are using bait and switch tactics...your company will fail. It's not like Turbo Tax is the only tax service.

Turbo Tax — screwing you out of your money

I have always used turbo tax and had no problems. This year, I did not need but the basic. Got finished with...

Turbotax -intuitdirect deposit fees

Turbo Tax Bank Processing Fee

29.95 for a direct deposit fee for Federal and for State? Really TurboTax? I pay another 60$ for something the state and federal government can deposit in my account on their own.
                Well this year for 2013 I used good ole’ turbo tax again, except this time when I got to the end I was met with a little surprise! After you are done with your tax return they always give you the deposit options.

Wow so now in addition to paying turbo tax for taxes I have to pay them just for deducting the money from my return? The key advantage over turbo tax over H&R block and everybody else has always been the convenience! Now they are charging even more for that convenience, which to me doesn’t make it worthwhile at all.

Let me just say this…I am a LIFE LONG turbo tax user, and never have I seen a better reason NEVER TO USE THEM AGAIN. I also want to know if turbo tax is using the processing fee to make money, and does my money come to me or the other banks first? This seems like a scam.

Come on turbo tax, you have a great thing going. Whoever thought up this idea needs to be fired. Sure it may add money to your bottom line THIS YEAR, but people if nobody comes back NEXT YEAR what are you going to do about that? I have worked in sales and marketing before and this kinda logic is stupid!

Why alienate your loyal customers with fees, ?Spread the word, turbo tax sucks!

Turbo Tax — took my money

I have been chatting with 10_Kathryn D and 5_John R for the past three hours. Turbo tax refuses to refund me...

TurboTaxdefective cd's

Just purchased a TurboTax Home and Business CD for tax year 2013 from COSTOC and spent several hours attempting to make it actually work. Long story short, the on-line person allowed me to download it and that worked perfectly. I'm betting that they have a serious problem with their CD's - avoid them at all costs.

Turbo Taxdouble charged me and no refund

They double charged my account and I tried to reach someone at their customer servcve number which was a nightmare.
                    First I got someone in INDIA and they transferred me becuase I wanted to speak to a supervisor and then I was transferred to a rep in NEW YORK which hung up on me. I called back continued to get the runaround . I basically cut my losses and filed at a locat tax prepeartion place---Stay Away from TURBO TAX they are criminals and the commercials are all lies!!!

Netspend/turbo Tax/univesity Banktax refund

My Wife and I filed our joint 2012 income tax on march 11 2013 with turbo tax.We got confirmation from the IRS that they sent our returns to our bank account,
                      We don't have a bank account, but we requested out tax refund be sent on Visa card, which turned out to be netspend after numerous phone calls and run around from Turbo tax, after we asked them why on earth is our refund in netspend bank when we requeseted it on visa card because we don't have a bank, and this was the option we choosed.
                      Bottom line Netspend is a fraud, a ripoof and should not be allowed to operate.
                      I am amazed that the IRS has allowed a parasite like" Netspend "to be operating under their noses, ripping off and scamming Americans I doubt we are going to get our Refund, which is a little under a thousand dollars, and I am lost as to who I could, contact about their sleazy underhanded and more than likely illegal practices.But Turbo Tax and all their affiliates should all be put out of business, and their heads frog marched off to prison, and they should be put out of business because Turbo tax who got paid out of my taxes the same time I filed, and I have not and might not even get any my refund, when I ask them whats up with this, I was told that that effectively, once Turbo tax has filed and completed your returns, you are on your own.
                      They are a whole cabal of corporate vipers

• NetSpend Corporation Apr 01, 2013

We are very sorry to hear that you feel this way about us.

Please send your information to [protected]@netspend.com and we will he happy to address any concerns.

• Be
                          beerooklyn Apr 30, 2013

Same thing has happened to me. I received $2, 000 dollars on my card and had over $1, 000 left on it. In the beginning of April I received an email stating that my account has been closed and to call this number [protected], I called that evening and was told that my funds were being issued to a check on the account by the middle of April, it is now April 29th, I just called the original number and they have told me that was not the department that deals with it and they transferred me to a line that was not working. This is ridiculous.

• NetSpend Corporation Apr 30, 2013

Please send your information to [protected]@netspend.com and we will look into this for you.

• De
                          Desperate Friend May 02, 2013

According to Netspend customer service my refund was sent back to the IRS due to lack of proof of adress. If this is so then why does the IRS say it is not there and an advocate for the IRS states that you return unused portions of tax rebate funds rejected all in one large sum check and no proof of who's money it belongs to such as statement of amount and names of all returns sent in that one large check. How is the IRS suppose to know who's money has been returned to them and what amount is for each person tax returns are? This is a poor example of banking! This also causes hardship on families who are waiting for thier returns to be resent out by the IRS. Also the IRS has no clue who we are that had thier returns sent back to them nor the amount of money that is owed. What are we to do? What should you do to fix this problem to help tax payers recieve what is owed to them?

• Go
                          goodday222 May 02, 2013

TBX, why would you used a net-spend per-paid card. It look like you have bad credit and can not get a regular bank account so the IRS can send your check to the bank.

• Ne
                          netspendmayhaveripedmeoff May 07, 2013

Same thing happend to me over 7K missing that netspend says was sent back to the IRS but the irs cant find it 2 months later!!!

TurboTaxpoor service

Unfortunately I just wasted 4 hours on TurboTax. After entering all of my federal tax details, the site became stuck at the error check stage. I tried to reboot a couple times and tried logging on with another device (different laptop and an iPad) but still received the same error. I then tried to contact TurboTax via their help center. I was on hold for 40 minutes only to be transferred to another number to be put on hold for another 20 minutes. The representative said the error is due to a system glitch because she received a memo saying so. She was not able to offer any further information beyond that. Very disappointed with TurboTax online. I will not use the service again.

Jonathan Mar 03, 2011

I used Turbotax to prepare my 2008 tax returns. I bought a house in September of 2008 and qualified for the first time homebuyer "tax credit". Turbotax failed to inform me that this is not a credit! That it is in fact an interest free loan that I have to pay back within 15 years. I didn't get any messages informing me or sign anything agreeing to pay this "tax credit" back.

TurboTaxtax refund delayed/missing

I filed a tax return with Turbotax this year. When the payment option came up, I selected the " deduct from your refund" option. After a few days I started tracking the progress of my return on the irs website. The refund was sent electronically on Feb. 6. After another few days, I noticed the money still wasn't in my bank account. I read over the payment terms and found out that Turbotax takes my WHOLE refund and funnels it through their bank ( First California Bank) before sending it to me. Anyway, I called First California to find out when I could expect my money. I was informed that they had received my refund, but Turbotax never sent them my file so my money was going to be returned to the IRS. It's been a few weeks now and I'm not sure what's going to happen, but this has been a horrible experience. Never again...

TurboTaxpromoting the use of netspend for refunds

I have been using Turbotax to file my taxes and absolutely love your service. After filing my taxes online, as I have done in the past 4 years I noticed an offer. The offer was to put income tax refunds on a Netspend card. I am a Netspend customer and have been for years. Unfortunately I encountered a situation where charges were made on my card. This means the person who has been using my card produced the same card I have in my possession. Netspend has been notified and have still let charges go through causing my account to be in the negative. I am now left without any money and they said it would take at least 10 days and maybe up to 2 months to fix this. I would hate for a turbotax customer to have the same thing happen dealing with their income tax returns. It is not fair and they are aware that I live in a different state and they know I have charges in the state I reside and the purchases were made in New York. Thank God this was not my income tax refund, and I would hate for Turbotax to catch a bad rep promoting people use Netspend services. I would trust Netspend, but the way they are treating me after being a loyal customer for years, I can just imagine how they would treat someone had a temporary card through turbotax.

• NetSpend Corporation Feb 19, 2013

Hi Jakki,

We are very sorry to hear about the unauthorized charges made on your account. There are several different ways fraudsters can gain access to your card information and we would like to assist you with this. Please send your information to [protected]@netspend.com and we will get back with you.

We can assure you that your account security and your privacy are very important to us. We work to provide you a secure experience by using industry leading security technology and adhering to the payment card industry's most stringent standards for protecting payment card information.

• Ne
                                Netspend Scam Mar 28, 2017

My daughter opened a netspend card to load her tax refund, and netspend wouldn't release her money, kept sending her "new" cards with no funds attached. They are a scam. It may take her up to 2 months to get her money back.

• NetSpend Corporation Mar 30, 2017

@Netspend Scam Hello,
                                We apologize to hear about your experience.. As these reviews are anonymous, can you please contact us at [protected]@netspend.com and provide some account information? This will enable us to locate your account and address this issue.

Thanks,
                                Netspend

TurboTaxstay away from turbotax

I have been using TurboTax for 7 years but will never use their products again. After entering my tax info and seeing a refund due, I opted for ‘audit defense’, which was an additional $40. Instead of paying for it with a credit card, I decided to use the option to deduct it from my refund. BIG MISTAKE, I guess I didn’t see the fine print that must state that I will be charged an additional $30 for processing by “University National Bank”. WOW, after giving them business for buying an additional service (pure profit, since I won’t be audited), they reward me by spanking me with another $30 fee.

I’m doing this complaint in reference to turbotax about my tax refund. I received my tax refund and i thought everything would be fine. I took half the money off my card to do some things i had to do. The next time i usrd the card it declined. I called customer service to see why my money was not on the card and they said i was being audited for idenity theft. Its been over a month and six faxes later of my social security, proof of address, and i.d. card and im still getting the run around. I have been very patient with turbotax, but its starting to run out. I understand protecting my privacy but what more do i need to do to prove who i am.

And for what?? To deduct $40 from my refund???!!! I could train a monkey to do that for a nice ripe banana. LOL

Stay away from TURDOTAX !!!???!!!

Turbotax Irsscam with foreign tax credits

The Turbotax advertising campaign claiming “accurate calculations” is BOGUS when it comes to the Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) calculation. The IRS instruction on page 1 for Form 1116 (the FTC), clearly states that certain individuals are allowed to claim $300.00 (600.00 for married) directly as a credit on page 2 of Form 1040, WITHOUT filing Form 1116. This applies to foreign tax withheld at the source and reported on Form 1099-DIV or Form K-1, i.e. many mutual funds that have foreign tax holdings. Turbotax INSISTS on channeling these foreign tax deductions through the Form 1116 and all of its calculations, which may result in a reduction of the credit that the taxpayer is entitled to.

This has occurred in prior years – 2010 and before – as well as in the 2011 version. So, you may need to file amended tax returns to claim the true amount of the credit, if you are in the 3-year window for filing amended returns. Check it out- if you had 200.00 reported on a Form 1099-DIV as foreign tax paid, and got a credit for much less due to this treatment by Turbotax, then you have “found money”. Read the IRS Instruction for Form 1116 on page 1 – it’s in plain English and easy to understand.

Turbotax first-level support people are useless to help you – they attempt to deflect your question, sell you a higher version, refer you to your “tax adviser”, or place you on hold for 10-12 minutes while they confer with higher-ups-i.e. pretend to talk to someone higher while eating donuts or something – ala Seinfeld and the car rental reservation, for you Seinfeld fans.

Turbo Tax, Intuitturbo tax: unreliable crooks

Just received an IRS notice for taxes apparently owed back in 2010. WTF?! After paying Turbo Tax to efile my 2010 taxes I was assured a $311 federal refund - not a word, not a warning, not a single indication from the service that I owed anything. So much for 'Breathe easy. The calculations on your return are backed with our 100% Accuracy Guarantee. We double checked your return for errors along the way. We helped with step-by-step guidance to get your answers on the right IRS forms...' Total load a sh**t! I feel completely blindsided by this IRS notice and the inefficiency of Turbo Tax - I double checked what I filed/inputted. Found no errors there and realized the fault lay with Turbo Tax.
                                  Called the 'Contact Us' number on the site and waited approximately 61 minutes and 34 seconds to speak to someone. When I explained that I believed Turbo Tax was in error - the operator/tax advisor suggested that I should have filed a Schedule C form w/my 1040. Hmmmm! I thought that's what I was paying Turbo Tax for!? - to help GUIDE me and ASSIST me in filing my taxes properly, shame on me for my presumptions. I was guided to a Schedule EIC, a Schedule M ... but not to a Schedule C...Thanks for nothing Turbo Tax! As a single parent breadwinner I'm used to dealing with numerous disappointments and constant financial strain - now I have one more to throw on top of the steaming heap.

Turbo Taxmisleading

Beware. Their online filing is very misleading. I am an intelligent, internet savvy consumer and still found myself somehow facing a choice of paying two different prices after clicking on a FREE product. The customer service representative said that was an upgrade option but it certainly appears like, in order to continue, you must choose one. It is possible, I think, to do the federal filing for free as their intro page states, but after seeing that misleading the masses into paying money they didn't expect to is how they do business, I did not try again.