Texas Department of Transportation / TxTag.orgCharged with purple heart plates

G May 23, 2020

On 3/17/2020 I received a toll bill in my mailbox stating I owed 35.94 cents for toll bill of 12.88 with additional non payment fee of 14.00 dollars in total 35.94. I called to explain the reason of me not paying the toll bill. I spoke to employee named Alex stating there was a huge error of the bill sent to wrong address not my actual address. Alex stated I had a balance of 375.00 dollars for other toll bills and late fees. With this new information I became extremely upset as you can imagine anyone would, as a good outstanding driver who pays their toll bill on time as seen from past records. Alex explained that they get their information from DMV which is how the address was incorrect. I then proceeded to question how that was my fault from another organization that y'all use in order to process your job accounts.in the end Alex was able to somehow bring my bill down to 100 and something dollars as he understood it was not my fault for not receiving the bill. I then proceeded to explain to Alex that I was under the impression since I am a disabled Purple Heart receipient displaying that exact information I was able to drive on toll for free as informed through media and your website when it was first approved not to long ago. Alex informed me that I would have to register my plates in order to drive on tolls for free. That itself frustrated me even more because how is it that a company not be able too see the plate that displays the information requiring/displaying as a disabled veteran Purple Heart recipient, demonstrating the vehicle as qualifying for the free toll. With this frustration and dissapointment I asked to speak to his supervisor or someone else who could maybe resolve this issue. I was transferred to someone else who stated that he also understood it was not my fault for the error of address been incorrect and me never receiving a toll bill. Supervisor was however able to bring the toll bill down to 75.00 dollars that he claimed were from the toll usage. I was very close to paying the 75.00 dollars but then realized that this was unjust and very unfair as it wasn't my error. I would pay triple the amount of just getting a toll tag which I would have if that was the case of me using the toll on a daily basis which I don't. I continued by asking the supervisor for information on who else I could speak to in order to resolve this issue. He state there was nothing else he or anyone else could do for me. I asked for information on how to take this into legal matters in which he smartly stated he couldn't advise because it wasn't worth while for the company. So my last resort was trying to send this email to somehow resolve this toll bill before going further in taking legal action and passing this issue to the media. As I was informed that this was the primary way people were informed about toll information. I undertstand that I did use the toll and should pay for the usage but in all fairness if I was informed by this information on my first usage/toll charge I would have quickly paid and been more aware of my usage of the toll. I would have certainly bought a toll tag instead of having to pay triple the amount.in the end I paid the 75 but have a huge grudge against using the toll. I feel as it's a system of corruption and needs to be done with. Now I'm advices too buy a toll tag so I can drive in the toll for free after registering my vehicle but what's the point to give more money to a system that will only continue to ask for more and more. Clear and simple the vehicle shows a disabled/veteran plate which should be considered legit as they also have the ability to look up the information as they do to send the bill. Overall very very disappointing they treat people this way over all veterans.