Having problems with Steak 'n Shake?

Steak 'n Shake reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 29, 2006. The latest review bad service was posted on Sep 29, 2021. The latest complaint bad service, wrong order was resolved on Apr 06, 2019. Steak 'n Shake has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 1679 reviews. Steak 'n Shake has resolved 17 complaints.

Steak 'n Shake Customer Service Contacts

107 S Pennsylvania Street, Suite 400
Indianapolis, Michigan

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Steak 'n Shake Customer Service. Initial Steak 'n Shake complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Steak 'n Shake above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Steak 'n Shake. Discuss the issues you have had with Steak 'n Shake and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Steak 'n Shake Complaints & Reviews, Page 32

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisestime

Okay. I'm just going to come out and say it. Every single steak ‘n shake takes forever to get food. Everyone knows it. It's all over twitter. I'm sure you lose a ton of bus. Over it... I have sat in a sns for over 45 mins waiting on food. Don't even get me started on the drivethru. I could go through chick fil a 25 times by the time my chili comes out at sns, I haven't been to a sns that is fast, ever. Good food but my god what seriously takes so long.

Steak and shake n.glenstone Springfield MOpay/wages not received

I was previously employed at the n.glenstone location in Springfield MO for a total of approximately 3 weeks. I was going through a loss of a family member, as well as a mental breakdown. I was harrassed, belittled, humiliated, and discriminated against during this time. My manager had myself as well as other managers writing down my hours worked. None of which I have been paid for. I would like to be compensated for the hours worked. My attempts to resolve this matter have been ignored so I'm contacting you in regards to this issue. I can be reached by email or phone [protected]@gmail.com or [protected]. Thank you. Craig Northcross

Steak 'n Shake Enterpriseslocation

I think that you explore the option of adding a Steak and Shake in Clarksdale, Mississippi. There aren't many restaurants or good sit down places that aren't expensive. There was one place similar to your's that did very well, but they were gone for half of the year so they had to leave. When they were in business they did very well from what I knew. I think that the location would do well because if it was put in the right place it would do very well because the teens in the town don't really have a good place to eat besides the Mexican restaurants and that even gets old after a while. I know this isn't a complaint, but I really love your food and so would my classmates.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprises — service at out local steak n' shake

We visited Steak N' Shake in Hamilton Ohio's West Side at about 7:20 p.m. on a Saturday evening. We've had...

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesstaffing

I went to two locations in my area, the first one had a cook and a server. I pulled into the parking lot and a patron was standing by his car smoking. He told that only the two were on and about 20 ppl walked in. On the meantime, the employee put a note on both doors saying to come back in an hour or they will be waiting a long time.

I drove down the road and while here, several of us had driven down here. There were 2 servers in and what appeared to be 2 cooks. When the 7th table walked in (with 2 servers to handle them) one of the servers walked out the inside set of doors and locked the main doors.

First of all, why are they only staffing 1-2 servers and/or cooks during dinner on a Sunday?

Secondly, what kind of servers are they hiring that each can't handle 4-8 tables that stagger in? I was a server for years and me and one other server could have handled staggered tables walking in easily. If I had any managers phone number I would call them.

This is unacceptable! Please note that the two locations were located in zip codes 63021 and 63011

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice

Hello, I am writing you to make a complaint about the horrendous service I received at a Steak and Shake in Coralville, IA. I went to this location with four of my friends. We walked in and waiting for 10 minutes for someone to seat us, there were plenty of workers who could have but they kept walking and not even making eye contact. There were also plenty of tables open. Finally we had to seat ourselves. Once we did a surver came up amd rudely said to us " you guys are not going to be helped for a long time you might as well leave". We were starving and had drove pretty far to get to this location so we were not leaving. We did not get drinks or menus for 45 minutes, and we watched tables who came in behind us get drinks, shakes, and food. Finally we got someone to take our order, but she had a terrible attitude. This is rediculous customer service. I have never had worse service. I love Steak and Shake and was hurt by the way we were treated.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice, filth, management issues, health code violations!

Poor shift management, filthy restaurant, extremely slow slow service are the typical occurrences that alway happen at the 8477 US Highway 64 location. We arrive in the drive through at 22:40pm. We ordered and got to the window by 23:10pm at that time is when the DT input the order into the register (presumably to show better customer DT times in the record). It took an additional 20 minutes to get the order. The drive through worker was chewing gum and her nails must've been three inches long. While sitting there I noticed the actual DT window is broken and remained open. The window was speckled with filth, the counters and work stations were filthy and had (food, fries) scattered all over, the floors were slimy dirty filthy! There were more than sufficient workers meandering all around. We only had a two shake/item order. While we waited for our shakes the orders for the cars behind us were lined up on the drive through window counter getting cold and stale! This store is being run in the worst most unprofessional filthy manner I've ever seen. I as a retired career manager/chef/restaurant worker I must tell you just the health violations and poor management being in this restaurant would generally be enough to have this operation shut down/closed. I wish you luck in the attempt at correcting this fiasco !

service, filth, management issues, health code violations!

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisescustomer service

I was given a warm drink with no ice and the service was the worst I've ever seen. I've been going to Steak ‘n Shake for years and have never had a bad experience up to today. I don't know if I will continue to be a customer if the service can't be improved. This is a huge disappointment to me and the rest of the customers that enjoy eating at Steak ‘n Shake.

Steak and Shakeeverything

Eat at steak an shake in Alton llinois on8/20/18. ( might add I have been eating in steak an shake sense the 1950) ALOT. I had a single burger that was about the size of a silver dollar. Frys were terrible and the Chile no ways near the good Chile I have been use to. The last couple trips to your restaurants the burgers are so small it's unbelievable. I think you are about to loose a live long customer and, I always loved steak an shake. Freddie's how has burgers like steak an shake use to. They are now my go to for burgers

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisespoor service/ watery milkshakes

I wanted to give Steak N Shake another try. We ordered our food and service was okay. After we finished I ordered 4 shakes to go. It was Peanut butter, oreo and 2 m &m's shakes. While we waited for the shakes to come out they took forever at least 15 minutes maybe longer and all of the workers seemed to be standing around and finally someone came over and asked if we needed anything and i told them i had been waiting for shakes. They went to check and a few minutes later came back and said they are almost ready. The shakes came out no one apologized to us for the wait. We got in the car and drove away. Noticed the shakes were watery like they had been sitting for a long time. i was disappointed and so was my family. I won't be going back.

Sincerely,
                  Olga Nambo

Steak 'n Shake Enterpriseswaitress

I went to the Steak n Shake, No:146, I was rushed to cash out, just as I received my meal, (usually they cash me out at the end) waitress stated "So, you are my last table, I am going to go ahead and cash you out, I'm really tired and I want to go home." Employee seemed to only care for our money and not the customers, I found that is poor customer service.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprises — terrible service and terrible food!

My family visited the Steak N Shake at Easton Town Center in Columbus Ohio at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, August...

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesdirty environment terrible service

This evening my family of 6 decided to go to Steak N Shake. As we walked in we noticed that most of the tables were full of dirty plates and garbage. It took the host a few minutes to figure out what table to seat us at since 90% of the tables haven't been cleared. After being seated at a table the waitress didn't stop by for another 12-15 minutes. We finally ordered and after taking another 30 minutes plus, to get our food, we noticed that the food wasn't very warm. The buns to the hamburgers were crumbling like they were stale. While this was going on the place wasn't busy but yet none of the tables we noticed earlier were being cleaned. More people were coming in and there was literally no where to sit cause of this. Kinda gross sitting around tables full of garbage. Not impressed at all. So after we ate we sat there another 30 minutes waiting for the bill...never came. We got up and walked to the register. Took another 10 minutes to cash out cause the computer crashed.. Worst experience ever at a Steak N Shake.
                      Thanks for your time

Josh Kowalczyk and family

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesdrive through

I have never in my life been told that I would have to wait five minutes in a drive through just to have my order taken. They claimed to be backed up but there were very few cars in the parking lot and none in the drive through. If the individual running the drive through had time to tell me it would be 5minutes before I could order than why did he not have time to actually take my order? Drive throughs are meant to be quick and efficient and this establishments drive through did not contain either of these qualities. Poor management of time and staff.

• Ho
                            HooyahPT Aug 21, 2018

I guess it's hard to understand the food is made to order and it's a restaurant with a drive thru. Not a fast food drive thru. Simple misunderstanding from someone whose unintelligible in the topic.

Steak 'n Shake Enterpriseslong wait at drive thru and cold food

im writing about Jackson Mi Airport rd store.

i had to wait over 10 min after i ordered at the window for my food and as usual it was cold. This happens often. The lady at the window is never nice, The last 2 times we got banana shakes they had a few nuts and chocolate pieces in them glad no one is allergic. I could go on but you get the idea. Also no receipt. i arrived today at 1:45
                          my order today was one all american burger one swiss mushroom burger med fries.

total was 5.29

i think the whole store needs spoken to and maybe some coupons to help me.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice

We tried to take our family to the Steak and Shake at 6019 Illinois Rd, Ft. Wayne, IN 46804 after church today around 1:15 pm. In the door was a handwritten sign stating "LONG wait for service, we are short staffed". That was ridiculous to have a handwritten sign on door stating that and to have no extra help to call in for a weekend to generate funds for your company. That seems to be very poor management. We took our business elsewhere.

• Co
                                Corporate Help Aug 19, 2018

I was able to get a high level customer service manager from Steak and Shake. Send me an email nattijeff @ mail.com (not gmail) and I can help you out.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesdrive-thru service

I have had issues with this location almost every trip. I work 3rd shift and often stop by on my way to work. The drive-thru is often shut down with a dumpster blocking the entrance. Or if they are open the menu lights are often turned off. I never get a receipt with my order only a slip of paper with what I ordered but no prices. Last night I visited and was told that drinks DO NOT come with the combo meals even though they are pictured with a meal and a drink on the menu. I was charged sepearate for everything almost costing $20. Is that true?

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesin store experience

I ordered the double bacon cheese steak burger, no onion and no bun. They made my order completely wrong and when I tried to call up there to get something resolved he said all he could do was have me drive back up there (mind you it's 3 in the morning) and remake it. I asked for in store credit. He said all he could do was remake it. I am not a very happy customer.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisescoleslaw

Sour coleslaw when we told the waitress she went to twll the other pepole what we said but never asjed if she wanted anything else .the waitress are rude by the time I got my milk shake it was already all melted by the time I got it I usually come here and get my milk shake in a glassbut we got it in stryaphone cups ill strongly think about coming back here

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice/wait time

We have visited the store on McGalliard in Muncie twice this week both were bad experiences. On 8/14/18 we stopped for dinner around 8pm, it was busy but not horribly so. Our waitress was great & as she brought refills, she apologized for the wait for our food due to the short staffed kitchen. After 45 minutes we get our food & was served a cold sandwich that our waitress immediately took back & made right for us. As we were ending our meal, we ordered a shake to go & went ahead & paid our ticket after about 10 minutes. Finally after 15 minutes we decided to ask for our money back on the shake & leave, it wasn't worth the wait. After waiting on the manager over 5 minutes to come to the register we decided to leave without the shake & refund. The waitresses all seemed very stressed but remained pleasant as the manager, Shawn, kept yelling for them to go up front & take care of customers paying bills because he was too busy. So today we decided to give it another shot because our son still wanted the shake he never got. He went inside & ordered it to go...20 minutes later when he asked for his money back, they produced the shake & told him it's just busy here today. Ridiculous management! I am a successful business owner for many years & if my business or management ran this way we would lose business. I try to not complain because being on the other end I understand there are sometimes things out of your control & pleasing the public is a difficult task but there have been many problems at this location recently that we have just ignored. I will not be returning to this location & have shared this experience with others. I doubt changes will happen because this is the only Steak & shake in a 30 mile radius & a college town but I think this store needs attention!