Shoppers DiscountTaking money without my permission

M

I am writing to complain about shoppers discount, I have no idea who they are and i have never knowingly signed up for any of there services. I called my credit card on several occassions and they stated that they had contacted the company several times but they are still taking ten pounds per months out of my account for no reason what so ever. They have taken ten pounds every months since January 2012 . I only have statements up to that date in front of me but it could be longer then that. I want them to stop immediately. My account shows the following details "SHOPPERDISC.CO.UK [protected] CH". I also would like all the money they have taken refunded. Please advise how to move forwards.

Yours sincerely

Martha Sakulku

• Updated by Maryo · May 29, 2009

Dear Yoyoken,

We have recently come across this forum and would like the opportunity to answer your questions or address your concerns about our membership programme, Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

We encourage you to contact our Customer Service team on [protected] (this is a free phone number), Monday to Friday 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. and Saturday 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., or send us an email to [email protected] One of our dedicated customer service representatives will be happy to help you either by answering questions or cancelling your membership if you are unhappy.

Webloyalty wants to ensure that Shopper Discounts & Rewards members understand and derive full discount and insurance benefits from their memberships. Your feedback is both important and valuable to us.

With very best regards,
    Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards

• Updated by Maryo · Apr 15, 2011

Hello Gill:

I just read your post and I would very much like to provide you with information on Shopper Discounts & Rewards and to be able to address the concerns you have raised. I strongly recommend that you visit our online member forum, http://bit.ly/gy87cg where you can ask a question directly to our Community Manager. They will be able to provide you with further information and I hope be able to resolve your issue. Alternatively, if you have a specific question regarding your credit card and membership I strongly recommend you contact me directly at [email protected] If you do contact me directly please reference this forum.

Maryo

• Updated by Maryo · Dec 28, 2011

Hello Joeli4710:

I just read your post and would very much like to provide you with detailed information about your membership. It is important to us that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved and it is easier to do this if you contact us directly so we can find the details of your membership. This way we can help answer your specific queries. You can contact our customer service team on [protected] (this is a free phone). Alternatively, you can contact me directly at [email protected] If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

• Updated by Maryo · Apr 04, 2013

Hello Martha:

I received the email that you sent directly to me and I have sent a response directly back to you with a resolution to your query. If you did not receive my email response, please contact me at [email protected]

The Shopper Discounts & Rewards programme provides great value to people who shop online regularly. We have thousands of consumers who save hundreds of pounds each year. Our discount offers and cashback deals make a real difference in this difficult economic environment.

The only way you can become a member of Shopper Discounts & Rewards is by completing an online registration form where you need to input your name, email and postal address, and your credit or debit card details. You also need to create and verify a password and agree to our membership terms. Membership is free for the first 30 days so that you can try it out, and after that it is £10 per month. Members are free to cancel their membership at any time.

If you have any questions about your membership, please call our customer service team at [protected] (freephone) or you can contact me directly at [email protected] If you contact me, please reference this forum.

Kind regards,
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards UK Team

• Ka
    kas11 Oct 09, 2013

i have just discovered shoppers discount have have been taking £10 a month from my credit card for quite some time.
    how they justify this as some sort of service is beyond belief.
    they obtained my credit card details by underhand means and are stealing- yes stealing from my account.
    i am not a frequent internet shopper, and would never sign up to anyone taking money from my account for any vouchers.
    i am awaiting a response from this company and my bank- Halifax.
    how can any bank allow this company to start taking money from my account without my knowledge ?

k. chaudhry
    wales

• Bu
    BudMartin Jul 22, 2013

In reply to Mary's defence of Shopper Discounts & Rewards UK, from experience of others with a similar complaint to Martha's, I was surprised that you are still operating.

According to the police ActionFraud service: "Fraud is when trickery is used to gain a dishonest advantage, which is often financial, over another person." On at least some websites, the customer is not given express, clear and evident consent to sign up to your service and only becomes aware of it when they see the debits from their bank account. The value of your programme is irrelevant and does not excuse deception. The supposed contract with Shopper Discounts and Rewards is unfair and is legally unenforceable.

However if your programme is really so valuable, why not make it a strict requirement of your marketing affiliates to advertise it overtly, instead of camouflaged in another transaction ?

Martin B.

Maryo Jan 19, 2012

Hello Gabriel:

I just read your post and it's important to me that your query is resolved. I've located your Shopper Discounts & Rewards membership and have sent an email directly to you with next steps to resolve your query. If you haven't received this email, please contact me directly at [email protected] and I will be happy to assist you.

• Ga
    gabriel anderson Jan 18, 2012

i have had unauthorised money taken from my account £10 each time ive never signed up to this site how do i go about gettin my money refunded i can supply the proof through bank statements my e-mail is [email protected]

joeli4710 Dec 08, 2011

I've been getting charged twelve dollars a month for the past months and I do not remember signing up for anything from this store.

• Gl
    Glenys Plant Jul 16, 2011

I am horrified to discover that shoppers discount are taking £10 per month from my credit card account stating it is membership. I have tried to contact them but have been unable to. How can I stop this.

Glenys Plant

• Pa
    Pauline D Jun 14, 2011

This is my second complaint ... the first with Easy Saver (Purchase Saver) where a company charged my account for 8 months for $14.95!!

Now this Group (Shoppers Discount) has been deducting $12.00 for many months.

All the above was because I ordered Pro Flowers and Cherry Moon! Shame on them.

James Keith Jun 11, 2011

Why was I charged 12.00 ?? I did not Buy anything or Join any thing!! This was taken out of my debit account, How??

• Ry
    Ryan Hart Jun 01, 2011

I checked out a advertisement on facebook which said I could get a free nfl jersey. Well, I didn't complete anything but gave them my phone number now I get 2 text messages a day costing me $2 a pop trying to get my information. I tried calling someone and got a voicemail like I was calling my friend not a business. I called the real company they had no information about me being a member. It's a sam don't fall for it.

Sheilah Williamson May 25, 2011

My credit card has been debited by £10 unauthorised How do I stop this?
    S Williamson [email protected]

Maryo May 13, 2011

Hello Gembizz:

• Ge
    gembizz May 13, 2011

when checking my bank statment i noticed that 10 pounds had been taking out under shoppers discount when i have looked back i cant believe i had missed they had been taking it from nov 2010 after i bought a belt off m and m direct for xmas i rand this number [protected] (take the 0 off if using amoblie) and have cancelled it and they will only refund the last payment i wish i had known about its really upsetting companies cant do this to people

• Gi
    Gill McGill Apr 07, 2011

I paid for a hotel on line Premier Travel inn. The option came up to recieve a £10 cash back if I clicked on the message which I did. I received a cheque however I then noticed a £10.00 payment had automatically come out of my account.
    This has happened for 3 months. I have not set up any direct debit to authorise any payment or authorise anyone to do this

Maryo Feb 02, 2011

Hello Barney B:

I just read your post and I would very much like to provide you with more information about the Shopper Discounts & Rewards programme. I strongly recommend you visit our online forum, http://bit.ly/gy87cg, where you'll find a lot of useful information about us plus you can use the forum to ask our community manager questions and they will be able to respond to you directly. If you would like to find out more detailed information on how you joined the programme please email me directly at [email protected] If you do contact me directly please quote this forum.

• Ba
    BarneyB Jan 20, 2011

The following reference is appearing on my account SHOPPERDISCOUNTS.CCD 8258 with a debited amount of £8. I have called the bank and they cannot stop the payment. I am not aware that I have authorised this and need help stopping it and ideally getting a refund as this has been happening for some months.

• Ih
    I hate ebookers now Sep 08, 2010

Shoppers discount took an unauthorized payment of £10- out of my account. This was done via ebookers. I booked a flight with ebookers on line and was offered £10 cash back from shoppers discount. Instead of receiving £10- I have been charged £10-. I am surprised ebookers is involved in this scam.

shaz2010 Aug 09, 2010

Hi we have just realised, that shoppers discount had taken £10. from our credit card.
    On your bank statements is a number [protected], You must call this to stop deductions from your bank or visa card, the recording will give u a few questions and options, please give details, as the option of termiation of the contract will only come up at the end of the phone call. This is a site charging for the email u have recieved and using there discount links. Hope this helps

• Su
    suji8383 Jun 20, 2010

Plesse refund the 10x10 pounds sterling you have deducted from my account without my authorisation from August 2009 toMay 2010.

• Ir
    Irene Jenkins Jun 05, 2010

I have had £10 taken out of my credit card account for shoppers direct, which I have not signed up for, this has happened since I booked a flight with Ryanair. (THIS IS FRAUD) I have contacted the bank and they said they can not stop it because it is on my credit card. They adviced me to contact these people which I have by email, letter and I will also contact them by phone next week when they open again.

• Ir
    Irene Jenkins Jun 05, 2010

Like many of your people emailing to you, I have also noticed that £10 each month has been taken out of my credit card account for shoppers direct which I have not signed up for. This payment started after a booked a flight with Ryanair. After phoning the bank I have been told they can not stop payment because it is on my credit card (THIS IS FRAUD)

Maryo May 20, 2010

Hello Natalie:

I just read your post and want to give you an official response on behalf of our company. It’s important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. If you have questions or feedback, please contact our customer service team at [protected]. Alternatively, you can contact me directly at [email protected] If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

Thanks,

• Na
    natalie davies Apr 29, 2010

I have noticed that there has been £10 pound taking out of my account each month for 3 months, i have been into my bank and they said that the payment is a debit card payment, i have not signed up for anything and i have not authorised for these payments. I would like a full refund of the money that has been taken .

micky H Apr 10, 2010

unauthorized charge to my credit card of $12 without a prior authorization, I will be presewing legal action against them, please join me in these efforts to get those people to justice

Mirado Woodtone Mar 15, 2010

A monthly charge for nothing. Apparently some other site I had done business with had forwarded my information in violation of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999. Why are they allowed to get away with this? Where's the FTC? So even if you catch the first violation on your credit card it is still not worth trying to recover that amount. How much do they make doing this. And who is the merchant that allowed this to be set up?

• Wh
    WhoAThunkIt Feb 15, 2010

The same thing happened to me. Since 12/2008 until 2/2010 we have been charged $12/month by Shoppers Dscounts. During an online purchase from JC Whitney we were directed through the payment screen to get an additional discount by clicking or checking a box and all of our information was transferred to the ripoff site, Shoppers Discounts out of Ohio. We did not notice the $12/month fee. We thought it was for something else, until this weekend when I questioned the charge. We had no knowledge that this happened and if was very obfuscated through the transaction, payment, process with JC Whitney and their web site.

• Wi
    william harkness Dec 31, 2009

on the 28th of december £10 was taken out of my bank account without permission i want this stopped and my money refunded

• Wi
    william harkness Dec 31, 2009

on the 28-12-09 £10 was taken illegally out of my bank account i want this stopped and a full refund of my money

Chris plummer 1 Dec 13, 2009

When buying online for movie tickets- pop up stating coupon for future tickets. Replying yes- takes you automatically to Shopper Discount site. Its very confusing, fooling you to sign up. They then charge $12.00 month. You never receive any conformation from them so you have a opportuinity to cancel.

• Sl
    slysifoxy Dec 08, 2009

i am totally blind and my bank has just told me that i have shoppers discount coming out of my account at £10 a month... I am only on disability living allowance and wold like it stopped. my name is Simon fox and i am registered blind i have been told that did not check a box or something... is their any way i can get the money back??? if not please stop taking money out of my account.

michael2000 Nov 25, 2009

I purchased some items from Joann’s Fabric online. What I didn’t release was being duped, without my knowledge, into a $10.00 a month membership with Shoppers Discount. I never authorized such charges. I never received any invoice of such charges. The way I found out about it was from browsing over my American Express statement and noticing charges from Shoppers Discount. I called Joann’s immediately and they pleaded “good cop bad cop”. It was all Shoppers Discount’s fault. To the contrary someone at the corporate level at Joann’s knew what was going on and set up the thing with Shoppers Discount to begin with. I thought Joann’s was above such unorthodox practices. Apparently not. Personally Joann's should be fined along with Shopper's Discount for fraud. Sincerely, Michael Cohen

• Ic
    ICE PRINCESS Nov 16, 2009

try to call the number [protected] and tell them your account number and tell them that you have cancelled it since you knew you were being scammed. See if they will mail you a check. They had my address on file and everything. SO i bet they will have yours also...

• Kh
    KHardstaff Nov 09, 2009

After buying as train ticket from The Train Line in August Shoopers Discount have continued to take £10 from my credit card. At no time have I given them permission to do this. My credit card have now taken it up as a dispute.

• Co
    CONNIE CHAROCOPOS Nov 04, 2009

THESE PEOPLE TOOK TWO $12.00 PAYMENTS FROM MY DEBIT CARD, BOTH OF COURSE UNAUTHORIZED. I HAVE CLOSED MY DEBIT CARD, BUT WANT A REFUND OF $24.00. CAN YOU HELP ME? MY HUSBAND IS ILL AND WE ARE ON LIMITED INCOME. AT PRESENT I ONLY HAVE $5, 00 LEFT IN MY CHECKING ACCOUNT.

• Ia
    Ian Sandell Oct 31, 2009

I have had a ten pound fee taken from my bank and I do not know what for, please can it be refunded as quickly as possible

sallykins Oct 22, 2009

After checking my credit card statement, I found a payment of £10 to shoppers discount, yet hadnt bought anything recently. Its actually about 4 months since i made a purchase, so now im going through all my statements to see if any other money has been taken without my consent. Then no doubt i;ll have a fight on my hands to have it returned, but i;m ready!

Shemoll Sep 29, 2009

I booked a train on line with Trainline - a pop-up appeared for Shoppers discount and £10 has now gone from my bank account that I have not authorised.

this message is dated 29th September 2009

• Mu
    MUHAMMAD SHAQIL AKRAM Sep 11, 2009

on the 09/09/2009 £10 was taken out of my bank account unauthorized by shoppers discount
    I would like a refund of the money which was taken out
    Ref: [protected]

• Se
    sengupta Sep 09, 2009

I bought two rail tickets from thetrainline.com as I usually do . This time this company Shoppers discount suggested to register with them so I can get a £10 discount with my next buy, which I did. But now I realised instead of what they promised they have started deducting £10 everymoth from my credit card account. I dont have a clue what it is all about. Please be careful future users. In the mean time I will try and see how I can stop my draining of fund. Wish me luck

• Cr
    Crusheen Aug 19, 2009

I too have a similar situation. Could you tell me if you were able to recover the money

[email protected]

• Be
    Beavertonpat Aug 07, 2009

I have just found out that this Shoppers Discount is deducting $12.00 per mth from my U.S. bank account and if anyone has found out how to stop them please let me know.