Santander Consumer USArefusal of lien release

Santander bought the loan on my pickup after I had financed it thru hsbc. I decided to sell a couple of years later. The bank wired the payoff thru january 20th. Santander added finance charges thru february 2nd. They refused to send the lien release until I paid the account thru february 2nd. They said they would reimburse whatever portion they felt was owed — approx 45 days later! Whey do they get to keep my money for 45 day?!!! Maybe to draw interest from my money as well as everyother customer they do this to?