Santander Consumer USA Logo

Santander Consumer USA

Having problems with Santander Consumer USA?

1010 W. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 100
Fri7:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sat7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

failed to credit account with payoff, claims account past due

Citibank recently appointed santander as servicer for the loan on a 2006 pontiac torrent I owned. This loan...

Santander Consumer USA

horribad customer service and stupid people

I'm a pissed off car loan payer

Since santander has become the owner of my car loan I have had nothing but headaches from this # sucking douche bag resin company. They call me at all #ing hours of the day and night and when I try to add anything less than $100 to my account they keep telling me to go to western union. #ing scamming skum #ing trash #! Now they say I am somehow 80 days past due and they still won’t let me add money to my account over the phone! I think we all should get together and find a good class action lawyer so we can all sue the #ity # #ing # out of this #ing # bag of a bank!!! # you santander!!! # you!!!

• Do
    Done with Santander Nov 10, 2010

Refinance to with another company and get out of the loan. My refinance took less than 2 weeks. Santander aint worth all the headache and hassle. Get out.

• Ju
    JustSomeDude Apr 08, 2011

The worst of the worst. If a meteor should fall out of the sky and turn their HQ into an inferno, it would be a blessing from heaven.

unauthorized deduction

Santander recently bought our car loans from citi-financial and it has been one long nightmare. After dealing with this very questionable company we decided to payoff our loans. After the loans were paid off they took an additional payment of more than $500.00. We have been trying to get a refund since september. Today we were told a refund had been approved by it would take another 30-45 days to process. I really cannot see a refund coming. I have asked to speak to a supervisor, but was given the run around. The only way you can even get to a person is use the phone tree and tell them you are interested in establishing a new loan. I recommend that anyone who is having trouble with this company is to write a letter to the attorney general of texas where their offices are located and to the attorney general of your home state. This is an extremely dishonest company and at no time did we ever have an agreement with them to deduct monies straight out our checking account. If one of your loans is sold to this company, you should immediately find a way of refinancing it. This is a continuing nightmare.

• Au
    audrose Feb 13, 2013

My husband and I are going through the same thing as of right now! We paid off our loan & and our last payment was on 1/24. They deducted another payment on 1/28. They are still insisting it was never taken out even if it showes in our statment.

late charges, over charges

Mail payments to a po. box 20 days ahead of payment and it's still late.Then late charges and harrassing calls, at least 20 a day.Made same payment 3 times in one year on payment that was already paid.Set up arrangments with them, no one notes it on computer, then the next person wont work with you.Threatened repo of my vehicle for payment they say wasnt made over 2 yrs ago when i was with hsbc.Started researching and found out there are alot of people who who are dealing with same problems.Need a proper mailing address, and one customer service rep. to deal with.Do not do business with this company, beware seriously.Ps. now they want 15 dollars to make your payment on debit card, with no written notification.I will never do business with them again or for that matter hsbc also.

• Ca
    California Diane Dec 02, 2010

I am having similar problems with Santander. HSBC must have been bought out by them in Aug 2010. My car was due to be paid off in Sept. I paid my 9/2010 payment and still had a balance of $495. I have made every payment. Customer service first said they would look into it. I called again and was told that I bounced a check in 10/2004 and needed to send them bank statements for that month if that was not the case. I requested the statements from my bank and faxed them to Santander. Well now they say that is not the problem - I made a late payment due to fraudulent use of my bank account - had to close account and open a new one. As soon as that was done (about a week) I opened the new account and paid them. Can I really be charged $495 in additional interest for this? Sound like fraud to me! I have requested a statement of payments and when this additional interest occurred, but have not received anything from them. I have requested response to my letters to them in writing, but have received no response. I call them and call them and get a different answer every time I call. Who is this company? I need help! I have decided to pay them off and then take them to court to get my money back from them. Any class action suit would definitely interest me!

bought my account

I am currently in the us army, serving overseas in afghanistian, citi finacial sold my account to santander consumer usa. I was with citi financial since I bought the truck, never late on a payment. I called citi to get a payoff quote and was transfered to their number, and I was told that my payments were 20$ higher, still with out my knoweledge. I tried calling the costumer serivce and there hours on sunday is 7 am to 5 pm centeral time, and they were closed when I called at 0730 cst. If some one is willing to help me out please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com this is not right and i'm going to stand for it.

• Po
    Poohbear33 Oct 26, 2010

Maybe we all should try writing congress about this company or these companies rather because our headaches started with Citi finance and after they up and sold our account without any notice we are now being physically drained by this company Santander USA the last letter we received from Citi showed a balance of $3, 150. we have sinced mailed in 4 payments in the amounts of $400.00 the first an only statement we received from Santander showed a balance of 2, 800.00 excluding the last couple payments they have constantly harassed us about remodifying the balance an thats only another way to bleed more money out of us. they then sent a repo man to our house an they said we have a balance of $2, 117.00 its ridiculous an supposedly they have added the last 3 payments of $400.00 to the account but still we owe $2, 117.00 I have agreed to go ahead an remodify because we are just tired anything to end this with them.

MadMac Nov 20, 2010

MadMac My loan at citifinancial was sold to santander without notice from citifinancial. I was not late on payments but am now because of sending my payment to citifinancial .Citifinancial stopped sending statements to my address now santander says I have to show proof of who I am before they send me monthly statements.I have tried calling Citifinancial to get this taken care of, when I call them the automated system sends me directly to Santander.I would like to talk to a real live person not some programed nitwit without human emotion, like the ones working for Santander.

• Mz
    mzkbacon Nov 30, 2010

I am with this God awful company! I bought a carmy first time buying thinking it would help build mycredit to buy the car I really want and a house. I went to appy for a loan and they told me that santander had reported me late 6 times and i had the car for 7 months and have never been late. How unethical is this. I called and they would not give me any information they referred meto ASC what ever that was.I called and asked for a schedule she said that the payments were current and that was an error on the credit bureau!!! Not quite sure. Anyway I never recieved the literatue i requested in the mail and it has been over 3 months. What do I do?

unscrupulous business practices

I ahve had nothing but problems with Santander and now they are trying to repossess my car. I have been...

fees

My husband and I are one of the unfortunate who had an auto loan with CitiFinancial Auto that has recently be bought out by Santander Consumer USA. I have read several complaints on here, so decided to add our current situation.

Unlike several others, who said they didn't know about it until after the fact, CitiFinancial sent us a letter in the mail informing us of the change, that came the same day we got our first statement from Santander. After checking their website, I was irritated to discover the only way to pay them without incurring a fee (and being sure the payment was posted on time) was to enroll in their auto pay. I don't generally have an issue with that (we have other bills set up that way) but was still annoyed that we didn't seem to have options.

At any rate, I enrolled in the auto pay, first payment went out 9/18, the day it was due. A few days later it cleared our checking account so I didn't give it a second thought. A few days ago I received the next statement which said we owe the regular payment plus a $25 fee. What was that for?

I logged into our account and saw next to last month's payment "return - frozen". I double checked our bank account through their website and saw they cleared the payment on the 20th. Since the 18th was a Saturday, that made sense to me. So I decided to get online with their chat. This is the conversation that took place:

Please wait for an agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Gino' In order to assist you today, please verify your First and Last Name.
you: Hi, My name is * *
Gino: Thank you, how can I help you today?
you: The account is under my husband *
you: I have a question - what does it mean when it says "return - frozen" next to last month's payment?
Gino: You will need to call your bank regarding that
you: it cleared my bank, what i'm looking for is whether or not Santander has acknowledged receiving the payment.
Gino: Last payment received was on 09/18
you: right
you: and next to it it says "return - frozen" and this month it says we owe an extra $25. What would that be for?
Gino: it was an nsf, you need to call your bank
you: it was NOT an NSF. It cleared the bank first try on the 20th. I'm looking at my bank statement online right now.
Gino: ACH and Check payments are automatically resubmitted up to two additional times if funds are initially unavailable.
Gino: Please do not attempt to replace a payment unless you have verified that the resubmission process is complete.
Gino: Goodbye. Thank you for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please click the Close button at top right to answer a few questions about your experience with us today. To ensure Santander Consumer USA has accurate contact information please update your home address, home, work and cell phone numbers on the My Account home page before logging out.
Chat session has been terminated by the site agent.

The last 3 responses from "Gino" came almost all at once (cut and paste) and then "Chat session has been terminated by the site agent" appeared immediately below it. He basically disconnected before I could read what he had said, in order to be sure I couldn't ask any further questions. How's that for service?

So I double check with my bank, just to be 100% sure. We have never had an NSF fee on this account. Surely the bank (which is actually a credit union) would have notified us of a problem? I spoke with someone from the bank and she looked it all over and assured me they only tried to process once and it had been approved and cleared with no issues.

So I get on the phone now with Santander. I get a lady on the line who calls herself "LaToya." I'm sorry, if you're not a Jackson I'm having a hard time believing this. And she sounded like she was Indian, which I have no problem with as I have several Indian friends, but I'm pretty sure none of them are named LaToya. But whatever.

I ask her what the fee is for, and like "Gino" she tells me it's an NSF because the bank turned down the payment when they tried to process it. I assured her I had already spoken with the bank and they told me that was not the case. I asked how we resolve the issue and she put me on hold, came back with a fax number to send to the attention of the "ASU department."

I sent them a cover letter stating the entire situation, a copy of the statement the bank sent as well as a page from our bank's onine banking with some notes added.

I would normally find this to be an irritating situation to have to deal with, but not the end of the world. But after all the horror stories I have read online (on this site and elsewhere) since this morning I'm afraid it might be the beginning of a nightmare with these people. I was told they will not take the $25 fee in addition to the regular payment we signed up for because the auto pay was approved for the monthly payment amount only, but I don't really trust that. I'm somewhat sure I'll see the amount taken out in a few days to include the extra $25 as our statement shows that as the amount due this month. But of course I don't know.

My biggest problem though is worrying about the future. The mature date on the loan is next June. When Santander took over the loan it was current but we had deferred payments in the past with CitiFinancial, who assured us they would work with us to keep a balloon payment from being due at the end, stretching out the loan to let us continue to make regular payments until it's paid off. I get the feeling come next June Santander is going to want the balance, no exceptions, to the tune of a couple thousand dollars we won't have.

Malenkaya Oct 19, 2010

Thought I should continue to document so I will add what happened today.

Logged into the account, just to check on it. Thought it was wise to keep tabs on these people. First thing I notice, it says "your account is 1 day delinquent."

I signed up for auto pay! So I decide to do another online chat. I'm told by "Terri" the auto pay was disabled on 9/24. Because they attempted to take not one, but two payments last month and one was declined. (He/she also tells me that's what the $25 fee is for.)

First off, there is no way they should have attempted to take a second payment last month. Based on the conversation I had with my bank there is no proof there was more than one attempt made, so I think that's a flat out lie. I asked why I got no notification of this. Nothing by email or snail mail. When I updated the account information (they didn't have our insurance for some reason) I got not one but 2 emails thanking me for updating the account.

They are also asking for references. As if I want to subject my friends and family to these people for no reason. If we are such a risk maybe they shouldn't have purchased the loan! We didn't ask to do business with these people.

So our account is 1 day late. And there is no way to make this payment without paying a fee and because it's now late there will be a late fee as well. I was so sick to my stomach I didn't even bother to ask how much that was, but I know there is one.

My husband has asked me to do more research and possibly contact a lawyer.

Malenkaya Oct 22, 2010

So the following night my husband and I decided together to call them up together. To sum it up, we (or he, as he did most of the talking) was repeatedly told they did nothing wrong, the system shuts off auto pay if a payment fails, and that we "froze" the account, not them. I think with their lack of English skills what they were getting at there is that they attempted to draw funds off of a closed bank account, and instead of closed, they kept saying the account was frozen.

The second payment thing was clarified, but just says to me even more so that they are in the wrong. The two payments were drawn (or attempted to be drawn) out of two separate accounts. Shortly before we were aware CitiFi was going to sell the loan to Santander, we switched from a bank to a credit union. We had auto pay with our old bank account set up with CitiFi. The last auto pay made out of the account was in July. Early in July I received an email stating that they were changing their system (this has to be because of Santander buying them out, although of course at the time they didn't say that) so the auto pay had to be reauthorized. The July payment would go automatically, but any further payments would not be drawn unless we resigned up for autopay with their new system.

The timing was perfect as we were making the banking switch, so I thought I would let the auto pay with CitiFi expire, and set it up again once the new bank account had my husband's paycheck directly deposited. His employer had a form he filled out and it said the switch could take 2-4 paychecks to make the change. So at the time I didn't know what account we would be using for the August payment, so I elected not to sign up for the new auto pay right away, but make the payment manually until the banking switch was complete. That was I was in control of what money comes out of where (or so I thought).

True to CitiFi's word (we never had problems with them) the auto pay went in July but not in August. I logged into their website for the August payment and paid it the day it was due, for free, through their system. There was no auto pay in place with CitFinancial.

Then the letter comes saying CitiFi has sold the loan to Santander. Santander gave payment options in the letter. and autopay was the only free one that would assure the payment was there on time. So I went to their website and signed up for auto pay using our new banking account, because by then that was the one we were using for everything. Had that not been the case, I would have paid the $10.95 fee the one time in order to continue to make manual payments from the old account until the switch. But the direct deposit had come through the previous pay period, so I signed up for their auto pay and provided them with our new banking information.

This is where the problem comes in: Santander claims the second payment was pulled because we had an auto pay arrangement from CitiFinancial that rolled over to them, so they automatically ran that payment as well as the one I set up. Both being automated I get how that could happen. The problem is that NO ONE had any authorization to run the one fron CitiFi, as it was expired, per the emails (several, in fact) that they sent out telling me the auto pay was going to expire unless I authorized it again. Which I never did, because of the timing of us switching banks at the same time. However, they continued to insist it was our fault, because the information came to them through CitiFinancial and we failed to tell them we no longer had that bank account. What does it matter if you aren't authorized to draw funds from it? CitiFi had that banking information stored for years when I made payments manually, and they never attempted to take money without permission. I don't have to tell everyone we've ever done business with that we closed a bank account, just in case they want to try to take money out of the account without our permission!

Fortunately the old account was closed by the time they attempted this unathorized draw or it probably could have been messier with real NSF fees from that bank account. What Santander still doesn't get is that they weren't authorized to take that money. They claim it rolled over from CitiFinancial, but since Citi told me it had expired (and the last payment to them was not auto pay) I stand by the fact that that payment should never have been drafted. This is what resulted in the $25 fee and the drop of our current auto pay with them.

The fax we sent on Monday, that "LaToya" claimed would take 24-72 hours to review on Monday, has turned into 5-7 business days by the time we talked to "Shawnique" on Wednesday evening. We told her we would mail a payment, now that the payment was late thanks to them shutting off the auto pay and not telling us, and after being told if we made a payment with her or online the $10.95 fee they charge to do so would not be reversed, regardless of the circumstances. Since I believe that's true, I would rather have heard that then be lied to and led to think that once they resolve the $25 fee issue (which I don't really think they will admit to wrongdoing) they would return that too, because that would be a separate fight.

The following day, my husband said "forget it, let's be done with it. Better to swallow a $10 fee than to have them take back the car over such a petty amount." I agreed but disagreed. We certainly don't want to lose the vehicle over such a small amount of money. At the same time, it's the principle of the matter and if they do this to everyone (remember, $3.2 billion in loans from CitiFi alone they recently bought out) that'e a heck of a lot of extra cash they shouldn't get.

So I made the payment online. $243.66. Last month they took $38.97 in interest and the rest was applied to the principal. This month I paid $254.61. They put $140.40 towards the principal, $78.26 towards interest (more than twice for interest than last month, how are they figuring this?), $10.95 for the fee AND $25 towards the misc fee for the NSF that we shouldn't have to pay in the first place.

Now we have to wait and see if they really do resolve the $25 issue with the imaginary NSF.

• Ju
    justomad Nov 11, 2010

We understand your situation as our account was taken over by Santander from Citi when they took it over we had a balance of 3, 836.00 because my husband supposedly deferred several payments to the end of our loan, Santander took over the account in September they sent us a letter stating that along with a statement the first and only statement we have ever received to this date we were paying Citi a payment of $404.00 a which we continued to send in to Santander. Each time we spoke to a rep. of Santander they always told us something different after each payment our balance seem to be steadily increasing instead of decreasing I ask them whats happening with our payments are they being added to the account at all their reply was yes but interest and fees were being added do to the fact our account were supposed to be matured, I ask them well can we get some type of statement or document showing our payments and our pay-off the rep replied well maam we donot send out statements or any kind of documents once your loan have matured, I was speechless because I never heard such thing. from the time they took over our account we sent in at least 5 payments of $400.00, (due the calculation) thats in a 2 months period and they continue to telling us our pay-off is over $2, 000.00 which would mean they are getting at least close to $5, 000.00 more from us which means we have paid over $21, 000.00 for a $14, 000.00 car thats now only worth $4, 000.00 book value. It doesn't do any good to contact them or to argue with or try to tell them what you know is not right because they don't hear it they just do whatever they want to and tell you anything over the phone just to get rid of you and the next time you talk to them it will start all over again, worst nightmare isn't the name for this company its even worse than your worse nightmare .

santander

Santander took over my CitiFinancial Auto Loan, and immediately made a claim that I am one month behind. This is an absolute untruth. I have my statements, but they are saying I am, and cannot pinpoint where. They are telling me to look at my payment history, and figure it out myself.

• Tt
    tt92618 Nov 09, 2010

They are doing the same to me, except I have two statements from them in a row, one of which says no balance past due, and the other which shows a month past due, AND shows the last month's payment made. So, its an impossibility. And worse, the car is paid off, which they also don't acknowledge. Dealing with their customer service is infuriating; they are absolutely useless.

• Be
    Bellaluna7 Dec 02, 2010

They made payment arrangement with me saying I was past due. I remember paying but I can't find the payment since I did it over the phone with Citi before Santander took over. I had good and bad experience with CSRs and most were bad. I had one lady scream at me and cuss me out and another who was nice but didn't know what she was doing. All of them lied saying I can only send payment via Money Gram but I kept calling back and finally found a person with some sense in his head. He took a check by phone and everything was clear after. That lasted for 2 days then they started the harassing calls saying I was 3 months past due. I had JUST paid everything up to current (couldn't pay during the transition from Citi to Santander aka satan) and they were saying I was lying and explaining if I didn't pay today that my car would be repo'ed. I feel horrible because my grandfather co-signed to help me while I was in school to get a lower rate. This company has messed his credit up so bad his score drop from 725 to 660 because they reported my car repo'ed when it is in my gated drive way. They even sent repo guys to my house around midnight (law here say no one can come after 8pm-7am) and woke my grandfather up. My grandfather told them it is in the back yard locked up and they better get off the property before he calls the cops. He told them the car was paid current and they have no right to be here at 11:57pm ringing our door bell. They left without a problem but the endless harassment from this company is a nightmare. I am refinancing and going to my state's attorney general Greg Abbot to complain. THIS MUST STOP. I have over 200 voice mails from them in 5 week period. That is harassment in my state and I have notified them they CANNOT call me anymore yet they still do.

• 30
    30000114630681000 Feb 13, 2011

I have all the money order recepits to prove that I am not behind on the truck payment.I get numerous calls all times of the day and night. I pay it every week.I almost lost my job because of all the phone calls. The customer service sucks, one hand don't know what the other is doing.I don't even get forty hours a week on my paycheck, we had our hours cut back 2 years ago. I do the best I can.Does anyone else out there have the same problem as me?There isn't a number on the statement to talk to a real person, only suggest to go on the website to find out information.Is there anyone out there that can help get this squared away?I sent a message to the company with a name and phone number to get in contact with.Waiting on responce.

billing and website issues

I have a problem with accessing the website seems like every month whenever I need to make a payment. You enter your user name and password hundreds of times and nothing. I know that what I'm entering is correct. It doesn't tell you that it's not, that the combination is incorrect, try back later or anything. They also don't give you the option to cancel a scheduled payment like most other companies. I needed to re date a payment that wasn't even due yet and was told by a supervisor that it had already been processed so they couldn't help. There was no way that the payment couldn't have been processed that quick and for several days out. This is a very deceptive company.

• St
    STERILEBAT Oct 27, 2010

If you ever get the change to refinance with another company, you had better run dont walk to sign with someone else.Their web site, i believe is rigged so you cannot sign on no matter how many times you call them to reset.The federal trade com. should look into this company.

overcharged

hia, I dont want to be to quick on the uptake, but, as I pay and go with a santander store card, I have been right up to date with all payments, as having debt already, I need to keep a very careful eye on my accounts. anyhow, after going through my bank statements and purchases, I notice I have been charged twice on one two items. I phoned up the customer services and paid 8 pounds to find nothing out, I will now have to write, I guess, to find out what to do. I am writing this as a possible warning, if that counts for anything. thank you for posting your complaints as well. p.s. get the customer services assessed.

scam

Triad Financial sold loans at the end of the loan term

to there partners in crime Santander consumer USA

to collect extra interest fees.

This is a scam. Santander issues a new account number and

places it on your credit report and it appears as a new loan. Then they

hire a reposetion company that is out of state to go around

your city looking for you useing information on your credit report.

There is no writen cominication from Santander, they claim

that they are a small company and can't aford the paperwork

I call them for a copy of the original sales agreement and they

told me that they have no record of it.

The manager at Santander was rude and threatened to garnish my

wages. They are not even in the state of California.

Triad Financial is a Scam.

See you in court.

A very angry and disappointed consumer that will fight

to make sure this does not continue.

Tooz Oct 13, 2010

Id like to hear more details. Did they list this loan twice on your credit? It should only show once and if its on thir twice they need to remove it. Did you pay triad/Santander on time? Did you miss payments? If you defaulted on the contract they can reposess the car legally and they can use your credit report information to locate you...it's called skip tracing in the collections world. I do not believe wage garnishment is allowed in California so that is an empty threat...if a collection agency had said that you would have them over a barrel but as a first party collector they can say it.

• De
    Denver Nov 12, 2010

I found out that Santander bought out Citifinancial auto loans and at that point I phoned in to request a buy out offer from them, submitted the amount over night, they released the title within approx. 10 business days. A couple of weeks afterwards I get a phone call stating that I have an additional balance on the account. WHAT???? $162.70 good thru 11/4/10.It wasn't enough that I sent them several thousand dollars. Are they insane or what??? The buy out total meant just that! Why are they trying to squeeze more monies out of me. I owe NOTHING and I'm so happy that I DO NOT have to do business with them. This nickle and dimming people to death has to STOP! They are not organized at all. A company who practices business the way that they do should not EXIST!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SANDTANDER... You'll be SORRY! This should be their slogan.

• Bs
    Bsveillon Apr 16, 2011

We financed our vehicle through Drive Financial. Like many other people here, there were no problems. Then, about one year into it, we were advised that our loan was sold to Santander Consumer Finance.

In March of last year, my wife was badly hurt at work. Hurt so bad I had to quit my job to see about her. Things were tight, but we still were able to pay the truck note. We went without eating several times, just to make the note. Eventually, I was able to work again, after I had moved by family who helped take care of my wife. Then, my wife's company cut off her work comp. payments, and we had to start the long process of a law suit.

We were left with just my paycheck. By this time, we had over two years of perfect payments, not even One late payment. But, we had fallen desperatly behind. They did work with us at first, but all downhill from there!

They gave us a deferrment and moved the late fees and penalties to the back of the loan and gave us until the next due date to make another payment. I was able to pay the next payment. It looked like we were getting back on track.

But not so fast-

I had a cut in pay, and told them I would be a little late on my next payment, but I could make it if I had a little lee-way. They said it was not possible. I asked if I could have one more deferrment. They said I just had one and was required to make at least one payment to qualify for another one. When I told them that I had made a payment, they told me I was lieing.

When I finally proved it to them, they said I still ahd to make one more payment to qualify for deferrment. I borrowed Money from family and made one more payment. Then they told me that I couldn't get a deferrment for another six months. And they said I owed interest on it, by the day.

By the next payment date, I was able to pay the regular note of $454.00. They said they wouldn't take it. They said I owed too much interest and that I needed to pay at least $800.00 and THEN the $454.00. I told them I wouldn't.

They called every hour every day for weeks. Finally, they made me an offer.

They said if I just pay a regular note, it would put all the interest on hold until the next pay date, which would give me time to raise the money.

I gave them the note. The next day, they called me and wanted money. I told them what was discussed. They said whoever made that "deal with you, lied to you. And now your interest is $2, 010.00"

Every time I call them, they lie to me. I give them money, and they call and want more.

Today, the truck was repossed while I was at someone's house! They pulled up right after me and hooked up.

I asked him to show me his papers stating he had the right to repossed, all he showed me was his IPHONE. And wouldn't let me read it.

Even my lawyer said it was repossessed illegally.

They don't care.

Over two years of perfect payments mean nothing!

• Tm
    TM-AL Jun 03, 2016

Well where do I begin, my car was finance with city-financal auto. About April or May i called them to find out the pay-off on my car they told me and we was working out the plans on my car. I went to call them again to find out for sure how much and how i go about to pay it off and i was redirected to SANTANDER CONSUMER, that is were it all began. They cold not get there facts, paper work, nor any conversation we had together. I would talk to three different people everytime I called. they would call me all hours of the day and night. Well I made all my payments as I told them I would. They tried to say
    I was 95 days past due and I wasn't. yes my car was to be paid off in september and i could not pay it in full so I was to be getting a mature ammendment loan, everytime i called they had is sent i would wait 3-5 days and nothing call them back and get told the same thing. It comes down to when they came and got my car, they had all the payments, and they came and got my car. when my husband talk to them the day they was here to get it they said they did not have my payment. After they left come to find out by my bank they had it. I went ahead to pay my car completly off and get it back and they said i could not have it back, I had to pay an additional $400.00 to get it WRONG I just paid every penny i owed on that car. needless to say i did get it back and did not have to pay the additional money. But just to say I WILL NEVER USE THEM IN MY LIFETIME. they can not get any of there stuff together, and they are some rude people to talk to and work with.

double billed - no refund so far

Santander Consumer USA recently took over loans/payments for CitiFinancial Auto who my original loan was through. Upon being notified by CitiFinancial about this change, I contacted Santander Consumer USA to get some more information. Specifically I asked them if my current payment arrangements with CitiFinancial would remain in place. That is, the automatic monthly draft that I had setup with CitiFinancial. The representative from Santander told me that no, the payments would not automatically carry over to them and that I needed to setup a one time payment for September and then schedule future auto drafts through the Santander website. When the time came for my payment to be made, I discovered that my previous payment arrangement with CitiFinancial was still in tact and had been transferred to Santander. So, Santander auto drafted my bank account (they said they wouldn't, which is why I needed to schedule a one time payment). So basically I have been charged twice. That's just shy of $400 missing from my checking account that they had no business taking out. Money that I need for things like gas and groceries. When I originally called, I was told that I needed to fax them a copy of my bank statement to "prove that I was overcharged'. First of all, why the hell do I need to"prove" it? Shouldn't they have records that show that they received two payments from me? I cannot believe they have the nerve to request personal, private documents from me because of their screw up. I am still waiting on the money to show back up in my account. I cannot believe the complete and total lack of consideration for the effect this has on me financially. $400 might not be a lot of money to be missing for some people but it is for me.

One positive note. I called them back after the first rep told me I needed to fax my bank statements. I was hoping for a different rep that would be willing to be a little more proactive. I ended up with a very nice lady who, upon placing me on hold, contacted their accounting department. She was able to verify with them that they did in fact receive two payments last month from me. She promised that the money would be refunded as soon as possible. I am hoping to receive it in the next 24-48 hours. I will follow up on this to let everyone know the result.

• Al
    albudracr Oct 17, 2010

Same situation with my loan. Normally my checking would have been $359.74 lighter on the 5th of the month. After finally getting through their automated system to a human being after several hours (expensive on a cell phone) I was told the same crap. Frustrated and fed up I PAID THE CAR OFF. Over $3000 had to be taken in two over the phone authorizations to clear out the loan. Did this on the 10th of September. Have the letters to prove it. Didn't receive the title in the mail until the 15th of October! Then on the 12th of September, they took ANOTHER $359.74 out of my checking! After the loan was PAID IN FULL!!! IDIOTS! Got the same run around about faxing in my bank statements. Did this, have yet to get even the slightest response. That was over two weeks ago. Good luck, I'll be calling them again this week to try to get this resolved, but I will NEVER do business with these jerks again!

• Ro
    royalt Oct 22, 2010

Same situation here, never heard of these jerks before! I have to thank Citifinancial for screwing this up for me! These people double billed my account this month, and of course they need to see bank statements, they are so incompetent I am afraid to send in my bank statements because they might do something illegal with those! Of course I know the money is as good as gone, I'm just afraid they will do this again!

• Dg
    dgingeri Feb 15, 2011

I had them take over my loan from HSBC in April of 2010. the first payment I made over their web page double billed me. I called them to try to work something out and either cancel or get a refund so I could get grocery money, and they were completely obstinate about it. They claimed that I had entered 2 payments of $500 each at both 5:08pm and 5:26pm. I asked them why would I schedule 2 payments within 18 minutes of each other for the exact same amount to be taken out the same day? They wouldn't hear anything else about it. I mentioned that I would contest the transaction with my bank, and she said "a bounced transaction can lead to repossession of your vehicle even if the payments are up to date, and it will incur an additional $350 charge for the bounced transaction." She basically said if I disputed the charge, they'd repossess my car. The woman actually hung up on my when I asked for a supervisor. The same thing happened again the following February (a week and a day ago as of this note) with a slightly smaller payment. They were exactly as obstinate about it the second time around.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and am filing a small claims suit for the overdraft fees they incurred. I'm also going to spread as many complaints about them in as many places as I can.

• Ho
    Hope Sorrows Nov 25, 2011

I have been dealing with Santander's wrongful doing for three years and I even went as far as going to local news Fox 5 atlanta but they didn't want to say or do anything about it . So that it got to the point where I had my car packed for a trip out of town for a funeral with clothes and even had my cancer meds. in the car . Guess what happened they stole my car and now they are destroing my credit rating with their slander marks against me .I believe that they are owned by someone in a government office that is why they are still in bussiness with all the complaint's they have against them in almost every state in the usa . It's almost like the president himself ownes them he is the only person that has the power to overlook that many complaints . everyone was to join together and file a class a lawsuit against them would be the best thing to do at least it might get them exsposed for being the crooks they are.

annie lee /donald lee Nov 26, 2011

i was wanting to check what all my ins cover acct num 8343109

• Jh
    jhadden Sep 17, 2012

HSBC sold my car not to Santander. My original loan was finance for 6 years. The car should be paid off bu they have a balance of $6, 000 + dollars. I recently talked to one of their reps who told me that after the 10 day grace period they charge a daily late fee so that is why my balance is so high. He said to me that no one ever told you about this policy. THIS IS A RIP OFF AND FRAUD!!! At the most is should only be approximately $1, 000. They said all the car finance companies charge a daily fee. THIS IS NOT TURE. I never heard of this company so not I am trying to get this all straighten out with the help of my credit union. At this point, this car will never be paid off. I am so angry. I will also file a complaint with BBB, Consume Fraud and anyone else also. These people operate like loan sharks. jdh

jasmazzon Feb 26, 2014

SANTANDER, THE BANK WITH A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM AND AN "WE DON'T GIVE A SH$%^ ATTIDUDE.

name- Santander Bank. Right away I started having problems with the bank under this name. Whether it was with a representative telling me that I had to wait 5 days to use cash put through an ATM at their own local branch or with the bank claiming that they had sent me a new card which they never did, the problems were constant.

The last problem involved using the new debit card that I had asked them to send me to replace the one that they claimed to have sent out.
    I activated the card and transferred all my on-lines accounts such as amazon.com, google.com, ebay.com, macy.com, overstock.com and several other accounts to the new card. They insist that I had to start using the new activated card immediately, but when I started using it at local stores it was declined as either debit or credit.

I called them and explained the problem to them when a representative who was not sure that she had solved the problem, tells me that the card was declined because I had entered the pin incorrectly five times. Of course, that claimed was wrong and it is unbelievable that they have that information in their system when that never happened.

This bank will soon discovered one thing: A bad reputation as a banking institution can undo whatever positive history the bank had accumulated. Banking institutions are powerful, but they can not afford to be so careless in this age of the Internet where everyone has access information about a business' stupid and incompetent management.

jasmazzon Feb 26, 2014

SANTANDER, THE BANK WITH A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM AND AN "WE DON'T GIVE A SH$%^ ATTITUDE.

My bank name was Sovereign Bank in Brooklyn, NY and one day I went into my local branch only to find out that it had acquired a different name- Santander Bank. Right away I started having problems with the bank under this name. Whether it was with a representative telling me that I had to wait 5 days to use cash deposited through an ATM at their own local branch or with the bank claiming that they had sent me a new card which they never did, the problems were constant.

The last problem involved using the new debit card that I had asked them to send me to replace the one that they claimed to have sent out to me. I activated the card and transferred all my on-lines accounts such as amazon.com, google.com, ebay.com, macy.com, overstock.com and several other accounts to the new card. They insisted that I had to start using the new activated card immediately, but when I started using it at local stores it was declined as either debit or credit.

I called them and explained the problem to them when a representative who was not sure that she had solved the problem, tells me that the card was declined because I had entered the pin incorrectly five times. Of course, that claim was wrong and it is unbelievable that they have that information in their system when that never happened.

This bank will soon discovered one thing: A bad reputation as a banking institution can undo whatever positive history the bank had accumulated. Banking institutions are powerful, but they can not afford to be so careless in this age of the Internet where everyone has access to information about a business' stupid and incompetent management.

fraudulent - business

This company which is named santander consumer in texas usa is trying to get extra fraudulent fees from me which I never had with citi finacial auto. I have always made my payment way before it was due and now I have to deal with this fraudulent company which I already did research on only after one day of dealing with them and wow to my surprise everyone is havng the same problem as in thousands of unlucky families.

Something has to be done!!!

Are they part of some type of mafia scam - total rip offs - who are these crackpot who think they can get away with anything and everything!!!

This needs to go to the president of the usa, asap, who will be the only one to stop this from happening!!!

All I want is to be treated like a good customer like I used to be with citi finacial auto

• Co
    conureking Oct 08, 2010

This company is a joke! I've been faithfully trying to get a loan modification through Wells Fargo/HAMP program since April. Due to an injury at work that has left me disabled and awaiting a second surgery, I have been unable to go back to work in over a year. My only income is disability and barely covers my mortgage payment and leaves nothing left to pay my other monthly expenses (electric/water/heat). I contacted Wells Fargo when my mortgage was 2 months behind and explained the situation. I was told that I would qualify for a loan modification and I needed to apply for the HAMP program. Thus started this vicious roller coaster ride that this company has put me through. I have sent in all paperwork that they have requested. I've called to make sure the information was received. Was told that my file was 'under review' and to wait for their decision. I call over and over again to check the status and I'm told the same response "it's under review". When I finally get notification it's to be told that I've been denied and I have to sell my home back to them. I call again and was told to resubmit all the paperwork again. Which I do, and go through the same process as before. I've done this 4 times already. Each time they tell me that since I didn't get approved for the program, there are others that I can get. This has been going on for 6 months with no resolution. They have threatened foreclosure twice. The most recent is a demand to leave my home by October 28th. I have put a lot of time, love, and money into this home and don't want to lose it. I've tried making payments but have been told that they won't take partial payments. This has forced me to sell things to make a couple of full payments but these payments are never applied to the principle. One payment is even 'on hold'. I see this company as a fraud. They tell you that you will qualify for programs under Obama's new programs and get a new loan modification to help home owners in this terrible economy, but they are lying. I'm appealing to everyone. First of all, refuse to deal with this company if you are able to. They are pro's at fooling you into thinking they will help. Also, if there is anyone that can help me in this situation, please contact me. You can call or send an email to [email protected] I don't want to lose my home and it's become clear that I will get no help from Wells Fargo. Thank you

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Conureking-your post is irrelevant to santander usa. Keep it relevant please. Steve - what fees are they charging you? You have a lot of accusations in your complaint but nothing of substance. If your point is that santander is a crappy company that treats people like dirt, you are right. You kinda lost me with the mafia reference...did santander send a hit man after you or something? Seems like you dont know what youre mad at. As for the fraudulent fees, what fees are you talking about? Every company charges fees. Without more info, your complaint is basically a bunch of hot air.

• Co
    conureking Oct 09, 2010

MY SON, , I THINK YOU ARE REPLYING TO THE WRONG COMMENT, , OR YOU MAY BE SPACED OUT, , GET A LIFE, ,

• Kn
    KnoCK ouuT Oct 09, 2010

i totally agree with (( TOOZ ))
    you ((conureking)) are loco in the cabeza. even your name is crunk.
    lol.

• Bp
    BPotter Nov 01, 2010

This company is BY FAR the WORST company in regards to customer relations that I have EVER dealt with.

I am 2 months past due in my car payment, they call you non-stop morning noon and night. I just spoke to someone last week who assured me my car would not be repossessed, once I told him I could pay the total past due amount within the next week. They never called me again. I called multiple times and was unable to speak to anyone, I was asked for my account number by an automated system, to which I don't know because they have taken over my account from Sovereign Bank, and I have never ONCE received anything in the mail from them- all of my dealings have been over the phone. Needless to say my car was repo'd, now I call and instead of being limited to my account number, I'm asked for my social and able to speak to someone immediately. I spoke to 5 people this morning including the manager Lina, who seems to be the person in charge, all I asked for given the circumstances was to have the repo fee waived or even yet, deferred to the end of the loan. They won't work with me at all, were very rude, basically insulted me for not being able to pay my bills, and told me I need to pay the entire past due amount plus the repo fee before they will release the car, and if it's not done in 10 days they will auction it. Also told me they called me multiple times in the last week, which is completely untrue, because I work from home, have been here, and looked at my caller ID as I was speaking to her. This company is a predatory company that looks to screw poor and financially troubled people, they have zero class nor interest in working with their customers, they should be put out of business. I have a 25k loan with a balance of 8k, they wouldn't accept any type of negotiation. I find that to be very unreasonable

• Rd
    r dente Dec 29, 2010

i have over a thousand dollars in fees, thay give me the run around when i question the charges

Sadtoworkhardandnoresults Aug 08, 2013

This is the state that America is in now. The State of Texas is "sleeping and doing business with the enemy(Santander)! Which is why nothing is done. You write the Attorney General and He "sees nothing is going on. 200, 000 people complain, but we are all "low life, " "stupid" and no gooders that even though hard times come and lay offs, and we still pay a car payment and a little extra monthly, we are all dead beats, because we are not rich. But who really cares. The BBB writes that they are not that bad; as far as other banks go. The President, probably could care less, he was not laid off, or suffered in this economy. As long as this horrible company does not do anything to the entire masses, the masses think that all of us that were scammed and harassed by Santander are idiots that do not have the "intelligence" to pay their bills. As for me, I am very tired, sad that I paid $13, 000 for a $9, 000 car and sad it was taken away and held "hostage" for $2, 000-$3, 000 more and the Government turns their heads away. You have to just love this country!!! (That would allow a foreign company to come in and treat it's American citizens the way they do daily.)

account protection election

hi i just enrolled in sovereign bank account protector and it dose not work at all as a result of these new...

western union fee

I attempted to pay my montly loan on Santander's website as I have been doing for months since it was sold to them by HSBC. They now want to charge a $5 Western Union fee. When I called customer service I was told this was a new fee. No explanation or details. I was then asked if ther was anything else they could help with and I said "you didn't help at all" and the customer service rep hung up. I find it amusing to some extent that the company is Santander Consumer USA but you can never get an English speaking American on the phone. What a joke. I will have my loan refinanced. I wasn't even notifed that there would be a fee assessed. Can they do this? Doesn't that change the loan agreement?

joyful1909 Oct 04, 2010

I just was told the same today and I am writing my States' Attorney General in a formal complaint (online)...I encourage all to do the same!

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Regarding the payment fees, they can charge them, and its perfectly legal in almost all cases. Read your contract and see if there is anything specific that prohibits them. You will not find it. A postage stamp costs money too, and a fee to make a phone or web payment is no different. You are using a service and it costs money to use that service. Making a big issue about the fee will be a big waste of time as an attorney general or attorney will just tell you what was listed above...and their fee will be much larger. That being said, phone check fees are ILLEGAL in some states under state law. I think its illegal in CO, TX, and two more. You would have a strong case there if you live in those states. If not you wouldnt have a case at all. When its all said and done, these fees are plain and simply bad business. I agree with you that Santander doesnt seem to care for their customers much...and as a consumer you have every righ to refinance and take your business to a company that values their customers enough to waive those fees. That is the best thing we as consumers can do!

fees!

Recently santander consumer usa took over mine and many other car loans from citifinancial auto. I always made my payments online when I was with citifinancial. The payments were through western union and there was no charge to make these payments. So I went to santander consumer's web site to make my most recent payment online but to my suprise and shock, they want to charge a fee of $10.95 to use the same service!! They use western union just as citifinancial did! Citifinancial didn't charge me a fee if I made my payment over the phone. Santander again will charge me $10.95 if I chose to use that service as well! I was told that if I do an autodraft, it would be free. But I don't care to do it that way. So now the only way I can make my payment without paying a $10.95 fee is to write a check, put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it and drop it off at the post office.

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Any company using Western Union to process payments has to pay Western Union themselves for the service. Santander probably is trying to recoup this cost...although 10.95 seems a bit steep to me. Most conpanies care enough about their customers to provde these services as a convenience for their customers...Santander obviously does not. Id ask them to waive the fees as a convenience or I would refinance/pay the loam off. A company should be more dedicated to their customers.

deceptive practices

I have a car loan that was with citi auto financial until sept 2010 (since 2/2008). I received no...

late fees

I have been dealing with this company for about three years now and will be glad when 2012 arrives. This company is very unprofessional and a scam indeed.in my experience, they will cash my money order and wait until after the due date to apply it to my account. I have incurred hundreds of dollars just in late fees. Even after I went through all the trouble to fax them a copy of the money order showing it was cashed, they still charged me late fees. I mean here I am thinking that the money order has been stolen when in reality they had it the whole time!!! That burns me up so much that im going to law school for all of us if something doesnt get done about it in the next 2 years. I am determined to get justice on these people and the uneducated representatives who deliberately decieve us consumers just to make about 8-10 dollars an hour. I wonder how long they will have on umemployment once I demolish their jobs. I mean this is crazy what you have to put up with, if I wouldve read these complaints first my daughter wouldve waited until she had her own credit score before getting this car.

• Vi
    virginia anton Oct 12, 2010

This company still abusing in american people. Now if you do not sent your payment by mail they will charge 4 15 DOLLARS procesing feet for get your payment, They are very unprofesional and I know they because I open in 2002 6 saving account on the Bank of Santander with almos half a million dollar and I still waitting for then to ask me how I got the money? Here in america their are not welcome

• La
    Larry warren Oct 30, 2010

Is there a class action lawsuit against them? I want in, they charge late fees when your not late, I asked for a report of all the money I have paid back from the day I bought my truck, including payments made to previous bank that they say my late charges start, THIS IS NOT TRUE. They sent me just what I paid them and not anything from the begining of the car loan, so they still didn't answer my question.

maidenmaine Dec 08, 2010

Well don't get your hopes to high, Justice 2010, Arkansas. My original loan was bought out by Santander Consumer USA about a year ago. They are not honoring my payoff date which has come and gone. September 17, 2010 was the date 60 monthly payments but believe or not I am still paying on the car which they say the maturity of the loan will be paid as of January 2011.

They say I missed payments, accrued late charges, moved payment dates and so on. This company is fraudulent and unethical in its practice. They will not release my title until the "so called final payment." Now remember it was September 17, 2010.

I have spoken to several customer service representatives which are hateful and will not connect you to a manager or supervisor when asked. The last Representative Yasmin, said after the last payment which according to them is January 3, 2010, she told me I have to call back for payoff amount. Why? Haven't they already took me to the cleaners? I feel so stressed! I feel like I am never going to get this car paid off! My husband's income is all we have and we can barely make ends meet. I don't want to lose my car because my husband is disabled and we need transportation to get him back and forth to medical appointments.

Be careful when payoff time comes that you don't find yourself in the same predicament as we are in at present.

• Fi
    fincepost Dec 12, 2011

every thing you guys say is the fact. we need to sue these guys and get our money back and they need to apoilage to us. Late payments, missed, payments, no payments??? cant understand what half of them are talking about, they dont have facts if they say you owe for sept, and you tell them you have a bank statment that showes you paid, they say then its augest, or some other time and date.???? We need to stand up america and fight back, I did not ask for santander to take my contract, it was through HSB, I have never filed a bankruspey on a car or never had one reposed, so why am I with Santander???? This Jhonny boy keeps saying its because of bad credit, how do you know my credit or any one else, unless you are doeing something ill legal mabey? You need to be checked out all so. Is ther a good LAWER READY TO TAKE THEM ON??????

questionable practicies

We have had 2 car loans with citifinancial for several years. Recently they sold the loan or turned management of the loan over to santander usa. Our loans were always automatic deductions from our checking account. We did not receive notice of the change until september 11th. The letter said they would contact us on continuing the automatic deduction process. On september 16th we were called from their collections department demanding to know the plate numbers on our cars and the address where the cars were kept. They also demand personal information such as ss numbers and bank routing numbers which we refused to give. Our payments were current and next payment due was sept17th. Meanwhile we paid off the one car and they immediately deducted another payment for the loan we had paid in full. This was unauthorized as we had only entered into an agreement with citifinancial for automatic deductions and never agreed to with santander usa. On september 27th we received a noticed that our payment for september 20th that was automatically deducted was over due and the late charges would be an additional $43.48. This company is in no way a reputable company and if you find that any loans have been turned over to them for management, you should find another bank as quickly as possible to refinance your loan. We have put a stop payment on any future deductions for the car that has been paid off and are in the process of finding another way to finance the remaining car. We have sent our complaint to citifinancial, state attorney general of texas, state attorney general of new york and to the honorable charles schumer by certified regular us postal service.
Robert diffenderfer

• Nc
    NC Dealer Sep 30, 2010

After 24 years in the car business I have found the worst customer service ever. As a Dealer we deal with banks, credit unions, loan companys etc... all the time. This company has the worst phone system ever. You call and go round and round like a bad dream before you ever get a live person. When you do they can't even help you. I paid off a loan over a month ago, and still have not received the title. I have faxed copies of my bank statements and the actual check itself to no avail. It is so bad that I am afraid to take a trade-in that has a payoff to these people. If we have to wait over a month to receive a title, that means we cannot sell the trade until then. If you have a loan with these people I would strongly recommend refinancing with your local Bank or Credit Union ASAP!

• Tl
    tlcpetmommy Dec 06, 2010

Hi everyone, our loan was also with Citifinancial Auto Loans. Citifinancial never sent us a letter saying our loan would be handled by Santander. We've been continuing to send the last 2 payments to Citifiancial, only to find out, they were applied to a credit card, that we were told had been charged off. So Santander has not received the payments we sent.

Repo guys showed up last night. They were insistent they had to take the car. I called them today (Santander), and the gal couldn't help me. I told her, that unless a Law of Novation Contract was done, the contract they have is invalid. This is considered real property which requires a new contract (Law of Novation) where Citifinancial Auto, Santander and us are supposed to sign. But now we can't refinance anywhere else, and need our car. Don't know what to do.

Repo guys were decent to us. They helped us remove all our belongings - but they were insistent they couldn't wait another day or two, even though we said we sent a payment a week ago. We have approx. 10 days to try to get the car back; but I'm scared we'll have to come up with a ridiculous amount. They're showing we're only $705.00 past due which is 2 1/2 mo payments, and we just paid a payment via snail mail on Mon. Nov. 28, 2010. PLEASE IF ANYONE WHO READS THIS, CAN HELP US PLEASE RESPOND TO: [email protected]

I also know if I continue with Law of Novation they'll jack up the interest rates on a new contract. But we NEVER received any communication from Santander warning of a potential repossession the entire month of November 2010. Their customer service rep said we should've received a warning letter, which we did not. She also told me what she was going to type in my file, and was changing my words around. I hope my call was recorded, b/c I quickly corrected her, that "that is NOT what I said." PLEASE, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELPS US - - - -WE DON'T MIND MAKING OUR PAYMENTS TO THE RIGHTFUL LIEN HOLDER, AND DOING OUR BEST, SINCE MY HUSBAND LOST HIS JOB 3 MO AGO. But as far as we are concerned, we have no contract or agreement with Santander USA.

I could work for a company, and send anyone a letter, '"guess what we now took over your loan, and now you owe us.!!!" But according to contract laws, that's not how it's supposed to work. From my paralegal class, every contract has 3 elements; An Offer - An Acceptance of that offer - and consideration or performance, from the offerer. And then all this should be in writing. This has not occured between us and Santander USA, or other Citifinancial Auto customers.

Again, if anyone who reads this can PLEASE HELP US, contact us at [email protected] Thank you!!!

• Ca
    canticles Dec 08, 2010

My story sounds somewhat similar. These people are criminals. They are claiming that I disputed a payment made in August and that it was returned as "not authorized." I did no such thing and there was no issue with my bank drafts. My payments were made through a third party, Smartnote, and they have cooperated by sending copies of cashed, cancelled checks and there is no record of a returned payment on their end either. When I disagreed with the representative from Santander, he hung up on me stating that the account would continue to remain past due. I called back twice, and both representatives were rather ignorant, as far as I'm concerned. Most times when I call in, they can't be bothered to read the notes on the account until I ask them to. With the last representative I spoke to, I asked for proof that the payment was returned. She said she could only send me a payment history. Hell, I already have the payment history! If I'm sending you all this proof, then why can't they do the same so we can resolve this? Why? Because they are scam artists to the max!

incompetent

Santander took over citifinancial auto loans. Of course no notice was given to the customers. No statements mailed out for 3 months. To make a payment over the phone a fee of $10.95 is charged. Although it was due to there negligence that customers did not recceive a statement you are still required to pay this fee to a payment they will post whenever they want. I absolutely hate this company. They are so unprofessional and disorganized. It seems the only way they acquire clients is to buy out other companies and leave customers with no choice. I can not get this loan paid fast enough so that I can stop dealing with this idiots.

• AuntieM Sep 24, 2010

Yep, no word that we were going to be switched over. And all the reps do not know what is going on - or at least they all are liars which I have caught several of them doing. Still the same workers there with some new ones. They make it sound like they are not the same people and have no idea what is going on. Liars! Bunch or run arounds so your interest rate and amount of car pay off is more, then they charge you late fees when they tell you to be late so you qualify for help. Very crooked!
    We were approved for a loan modification right before the switch over. Now Santander won't recognize anything that Citifinancial had going on with their customers and won't honor our loan modification. Horrible horrible company! I've read elsewhere that others are having the same problem with lies and payments goof ups, loan modifications that were approved and then taken back when Santander took over. Stay away from these people! I plan on reporting them to the BBB and contacting my attorney.

Tooz Oct 09, 2010

Aggrivated83- i understand your frustration! They are not a customer friendly company in the least. They are very disorganizrd and their customer service is largely non existant. Legally they do not have to send you a statement as the contract does not specify that. However not sending statements to your customers is about as bad as you can get customer service wise. That being said, you are either mistaken, outright lying, or embellishing for effect when you talk about Santander not sending you a statement for three months. That is simply not true. You posted this on 9-24, and Santander bought Citi on 9-6...since Santander hasnt ownes Citi for three months its not possible for them to have missed three months...although Citi Auto might have.

Auntie M- I know of someone that works there and they are completely confused. Apparently upper management tells them nothing and things change from day to day. Their employees are apparently paid pretty poorly as well, which I am sure doesnt help matters. Your modification issue is intriguing...but be sure you have your ducks in a row before going to an attorney. Unless you have a signed copy, proof that Citi/Santander received the proper paperwork on time, and confirmation that Citi executed the modification, a trip to an attorney will just cost you a ton of money and will net you nothing in the end. Santander doesnt have to honor a modification or settlement that was only approved or proposed by Citi but not actually executed. Not honoring the proposal is bad business however, and if you dont have the proof, id stick to complaining to BBB about how poorly they treat the consumer, and then try and refinance with another company or pay off the loan asap so these buffoons make as little money on this loan as possible.

• AuntieM Oct 10, 2010

I have proof that it was faxed over in a timely manner, I have all the names of the people and managers that told me that I was approved before the transition and the reps name with Santander the same day of the transition that confirmed to my husband we were approved.
    It was a week later that everything changed and new reps said to my husband and I that Citifinancial Auto rules no longer applies and that there was no one I could talk to that would help us - that they could not transfer me to anyone not even a manager. They want the late payments all caught up now.
    I agree, they don't have to do anything to help. No need for them to keep any of their words.
    They haven't kept their "verbal" word since the day I got my loan with Citifinancial Auto, and Santander is not any better - just far worse.
    A refinance will not work for me either because of what they have me down as owed compared to what the car is worth, I have not been able to get a loan.
    Plus, they put on my credit that I have been late. And the only reason I was late because they told me I had to be. What a mess!
    And for those who wonder why I have a loan when I can not afford it...I could afford it a lot easier before the bail out and I can still afford it as long as I do not go to the doctor or by my meds. Unfortunately I am one of those people that lost their jobs because of the mess companies like Citifinancial had put us in and am now a one income household.
    Trying to find another job, but my health conditions have limited my ability. Such as life, eh?
    I will be one of the many joining the class action against them. They should be held liable to keeping their words like any fair business practice. And Santander should stand by their motto that they so much liked reciting to me:
    We here at Santander keep our promise and we expect the same from our customers".
    Yeah, mmmkkk.

Tooz Oct 13, 2010

AuntieM - I think you have a very valid case. A lot of times on these complaint boards you read some real garbage, but your case is anything but. I would definitely discuss with an attorney. Companies like CitiFinanial Auto and Santander need to understand that a contract works both ways. If a consumer violates a contract, you can believe the company will be there waving it in the consumer's face. If a company violates a contract they are let off the hook all too often. I believe you will win any lawsuit. I wish you the best! Go get em!

• Am
    AmiKang Nov 13, 2010

I agree and am in the works writing a letter to the better business bureau, their compliance dept, and the newspapers. The harrassment I have received from this company is disgusting and I don't understand how it is legal!

• Va
    Va Beach, VA Nov 14, 2010

I, too, had my loan with Citifinancial, and never a hiccup until this takeover by Santander. The first notice I received was a LATE notice. Real nice.

Then they wanted to charge me a fee to pay the payment. I asked for the next payment due date and she said that they had changed from the original payment dates of my previous lender ( no wonder it is LATE!) and that I would see the information on my next statement. Now...a phone call today telling me I am late again- though no statement was ever sent.

Customer service never answers, my logins don't work on the website and when a rep does call they are on a script to collect payment only - NOT answer questions. Go ahead..ask a question and see the argumentative and sarcastic nature come alive. The woman barely spoke English to boot.

Just out of curiosity, I asked a supervisor what my payoff would be on the loan. She quote me considerably HIGHER than what was on the late notice. Hmmmm. When I asked why, she said rudely and defiantly noted that wasn't always accurate information. Well, if it isn't accurate then are we supposed to guess? Sounds like a no-win and perhaps EXACTLY what they intend for it to be.

So, after that introduction to this company here I sit...late again on a payment due to misinformation or no information and if these fools would just stick to sending a statement and the information that appears on it, life would be much easier on everyone.

I don't understand why companies seemingly TRY to be difficult. I don't understand HOW they stay in business. This is a poor excuse for a business and one that should be avoided at all costs.

Stay away. Far, far...

My advice to Santander -

Communicate effectively - in English, with statements bearing correct information and LISTEN to customers.

K. French
    VA Beach, VA

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices