Safewaysafeway fish has worms

If is was not enough that all the fish at safeway look rotten even though they are not past their expiration date, I spotted one disgusting package of red snapper and it had a WORM! The worm was squirming and was very much alive. I don't know what kind of worm it was, but it had the same color as the fish meat. I could spot it's reproductive segment though. Unfortunately I did not have a camera. When asked if I needed help I asked them on it, they responded "we don't package these", as if I had asked.

In retrospect, I should have asked someone for a camera, because they to it to the back and started discussing about it. This is too much.

• Sc
    S C C Aug 06, 2009

It just happened to me yesterday, a big worm in the sticking fish i bought at Safeway.

• Bl
    blondie707 Dec 12, 2008

Most fish you buy anywhere has a worm in it, but you just don't see it. It is a common thing that happens and I understand how it isn't appetizing.

sarah Nov 14, 2008

scientific name is Phocanema. They are killed in 1 minute at a temperature of 60°C or over. In practice this means that cooking a fillet 3 cm thick for 10 minutes at 60°C will kill any worms present. Freezing of fish at - 20°C for 60 hours kills all worms. I know its not appealing in the least but its a fact of life with all bottom feeding fish. They are there wether you see them or not. I have seen my fair share thats why I researched it as a seafood manager of the past five years. I have had customers ask me or yes complain so I did my research. . . . . . .