Resolved Roto-RooterRip off Artist

What a joke, I'm still laughing! I called for a clogged drain and could not get a quote over the phone. I was told the service man would quote me at the job site. I was quoated $268.00 to rout a drain pipe, a five minute job! I told the guy to get the hell out of my house! I rented a router from Home Depot for $43.00 and was donw in under 10 minutes. Stay away from these jokers!!!

• Vi
    vince Jun 14, 2008

Does this person have any idea what it costs to send a fully equipped truck to his door? Liability ins., workman's comp., overhead etc. He should get the hell off the internet and get a job so he could afford a quality plumber.

• Av
    Avi Jul 17, 2008

You must work for this scam company. The drain cleaning companies out here charge 85-$125 depending on the hour you call. They give you up front pricing. If your in a big house in the burbs and your line is extremely long I could see a higher bill. On top of that of this company gave UPFRONT estimates based on ZIP CODE/area, since most city homes are the same and most surburan homes are also similar in an area (which they could do) they would SAVE allot of OVERHEAD.

jose Jul 24, 2008

Here is the breakdown for all of you non business oriented customers out there who keep complaining about company's that go above and beiond what's expected of them.
    One- roto rooter is one of the very few companies that does criminal and drug check
    two- does quarterly employee training and evaluation
    three- does quarterly safety training
    four- does employee driving evaluations
    five- does offer 24 hour service
    six- does show up within 2 hours
    seven- that will take care of your plumbing, heating and drain problems. also offer future solutions
    eigth- that will give you a min. of 6 month guarantee and stand behind it 100%
    nine- that is used by fortune 500 companies
    ten- that have fully* stocked vehicles and ready for work

What do you really think this is all worth to you as a customer?. What do you as a customer think costs to insure all this happens?.

We are always quick to judge and complaine, because we pick one negative thing and focus on it till satisfied. When you can get more of a satisfaction by focusing on the positive side of thing...

anonymous Aug 25, 2008

As a former Roto Rooter employee, I can tell you this is one of their many tricks to rip you off, asnd get as much money from you as they can. Their "free estimates" are anything but, they use all kinds of ploys to rob you blind. Their prices tend to be 20-70% higher than the competition, they do not do a good job of honoring their warranties, do not resolve complaints without going to the top. Do not use Roto Rooter, unless you want to go broke, and continue to have problems. They also rarely use license plumbers, stock boys they train to do things the Roto Rooter way for 6 weeks, and then charge top dollar for their work. NOT A VERY PROFESSIONAL COMPANY!!! Do not use Roto Rooter.

• Je
    Jeremy Sep 02, 2008

I gotta agree with this complaint. I've got a cracked PVC water line in my front yard. The folks at Roto-Rooter want $450 to replace it. $450??? Gimme a break ... I fixed it myself for $10 in parts from Home Depot & 3 hours of my time. Now, at least I know who not to bother calling the next time I've got a plumbing repair!

Rob Sep 28, 2008

OK you said that you payed $43.00 to rent the machine but it only took you 10 minutes to do the work. Well in your line of thinking didnt you over pay for the machine? They charged you for using it for the whole day. Did you yell at them for over charging you?
    I own a Plumbing business and many things go into the price of a job. Each one of those sewer machines cost almost $3, 000.00. The truck is another $20, 000.00. The gas to fill one is over $100.00 and because they are fully stocked the gas mileage is poor. The hourly rate for the plumber that just drove to your home. All the state required insurance that we need to carry. The staff that took your call. The staff that dispatched the job. All the staff behind the scene that take care of all the paper work and running of the company. The cost of upkeep on the trucks and equipment. The utility bills to run the shop. The monthly payment to lease the building. The phone bill and computer internet charges. The computers and the $1, 500 program needed to dispatch the trucks. The uniform cost. The cost to print the invoices. advertising costs. Yellow page adds. the $3, 000.00 in truck stock in each truck. Specialty tools for plumbing.
    Now when you take all of this in to consideration you will see that your overhead is very high. Each job priced is done on an average. If cleaning a sewer in your region on average takes an hour and a half that is the set time the company will use for that job. Then they will take in account the average drive time from one job to the next. How much gas on average from one job to the next. After all that they take the amount of jobs on average per year and divide that by all the over head charges per year they pay out to operate. Then they will need to add the 30 percent that all companies do for profit.
    The only one being unfair here is any customer that tries to rip off these hard working companies. Every thing I have explained here is normal business in the United States like it or not. Plumbers work to make money just like you. Our charges are in place to make money and they are very well thought out. There is more work involved then just saying "well hell lets charge this guy $300.00 today"
    For the guy that complained about the $450 price to work 3 hours on his plumbing I feel that was a fair price. Sounds like 3 hours of work but what about the clean up drive, time and every thing else that would have gone into that job?
    Plumbing...the one job that every one thinks they can try to tell you what you should charge for your hard work. We always have to keep a smile on our face when you people are complaining about our prices. I NEVER MET A RICH PLUMBER HAVE YOU???????????????

Jared Sep 30, 2008

ROTO ROOTER are SCAM ARTISTS!

The original poster here is SPOT ON. Please read my story:

I recently had an employee of this company "fix" a broken shower handle. He claimed to install a new cartridge but said that it would continue to "drip" until we purchased a whole new system for which he quoted us $400 (for parts alone). He charged $265.

Well, my father in law came out (an engineer who knows plumbing), removed the cartridge and started laughing from shock. It was a corroded piece of junk, NOT new at all.

We went to Lowe's and purchased a new one ourselves, he installed it and the leak is now GONE.

I took pictures of the corroded cartridge, copied the bogus invoice and my Lowe's receipt and reported them to the Attorney General, the BBB and Roto Rooter's corporate office.

Stay FAR away from these scam artists!

• Lo
    lou Oct 04, 2008

I think the important thing here is to get pricing up front, make sure you completely understand and make your decision. If you think the price is too high, by all means call around! Its a free country! Also, before even calling a plumber, assess the situation yourself. You would be suprised at how many people want a service technician to come to their home to repair a flush handle on a toilet. Use some common sense people! I have been a customer service rep for a plumbing a heating company for 5 years now and I'm always dumbfounded by the people who are clearly quoted pricing on the phone, then sign a work order with a total on it in front of the technician, then call the office screaming saying we ripped them off!
    Companies have a right to make a profit and you have the right to fix it yourself or call many different companies unitl you find one whos pricing you agree with.

• Da
    David Oct 20, 2008

I also had Roto-Rooter in the other day to investigate a non-functioning shower handle. I was quoted $265.00 and $100.00 for a new part. A total of $365.00. Well, thanks but no thanks. I went to Home Depot. Bought a new assembly for less than $30.00 and was done in about 10 minutes.

If I was quoted maybe half the price I probably would have just let the guy take care of it and spend my Saturday relaxing. That is how you ensure business and keep the cash flowing to offset your fixed costs.

There is a big difference between taking advantage of people and covering your business expenses/overhead. So...please give a break. A doctors visit costs ~$95.00. I can almost guarantee his/her expenses are much higher. i.e. secretary, mal-practice insurance, billing specialists, inventory, managed care/medicare/medicaid cutting back on reimbursements etc...

• De
    Dee Nov 03, 2008

Perhaps not all Roto Rooter companies operate the same way.

I am currently dealing with this rip off company, I'm presuming, is out of Tacoma, WA. They charged me just shy of $400 to rout a main line in our manufactured house. We knew what the problem was and asked for a quote over the phone as our regular plumbing company could not get to us that day. We were denied but told a tech could be there by noon - he arrived after 1. We have this issue every two years or so, so we know what it needs.

The tech arrived, wandered all about, I showed him where the line was and that we just wanted it routed. He did not have to uncover anything or do any heavy lifting or take out any toilets. Nor did he have to go under the house, but he proceded to go under the house to "look at the pipes". He then tells me it is going to cost $400. This was easily $200 more than what I usually pay with a competitor. He then convinces me that this cannot wait and has to be done right bow if we want any use of a bathroom and that routing the pipe may not do the trick and he may have to pull a toilet or two. Not feeling good about this at all, and feeling extremely pressured, I initialed under duress.

Once he got my initials, he took off the cap to the outlet that leads directly to the baffles. When I explained to him that it wasn't going to work the way he was doing it, he said he needed to rout it. It did not need routing - it was clear to the baffles, we were able to do that on our own before he got there.

He then put the cap back on and went back under the house to "look". He wasted so much time screwing around for an hour or so. I was furious.

He then decides to use a 1 inch blade for a 2 inch blade job and states as much. Then he tells me that usually the company does not guarantee a main line rout, but he will. (this is against company policy) So now, at this point, I have initialled for work to be done and the tech was going to use inadequate tools and told me as much.

The issue with the pipe was never fixed and I have filed complaints on this companies practices.
    I even put a stop payment on the check and offered to pay just the service call fee because the tech told me he was using inappropriate tools for the job - therefore, the problem was going to persist.

notrotorooter Apr 28, 2009

Vince,
    The Techs usually pay for the van, tools, gas... Prices go up and the Techs get paid the same %.

• He
    Helmut Jun 29, 2009

I've owned a plumbing company for 4 years. I agree with the first comment, the problem is people have no idea what it costs to operate a business, and on top of that, in our type of business, they don't value service.

They don't care how much experience you have or how much sweet and energy you waste, or how well you train your tech's or the drug testing, or that your company works 24 hours a day 7 day's a week or can be at a job site in 1 minute or your warranty coverage or the fact that your bonded or inssured or licensed or have many vans and have pretty logos on them or that your advertising is the biggest in the yellow pages, or your customer comments. The pretty slogans you used in your advertising or the fact that you state that you are the best of the best or that you're plumbers smell realy nice or that your dressed all pretty-n-pink. People only care about price. How much will I be charged. If you can't see or touch your professional service how can you put a value on it.

Unfortunately people want quotes over the phone because they are looking for the lowest price, they think they are shopping at somekind of PlumbMart, they are the ones who say "psss...that's like a 5 minute job, why are you charging this much" or if you are good enough to give a rough quote over the phone, "Hi...how much will you charge me to repair a water heater, it's leaking from under? Sr. you have a damaged tank, it needs to be replaced, I will charge you $400 for the water heater and $400 labor. What? that much? It's only going to take you 5 minutes to get the old heater out and 5 minutes to put the new heater in, why are you charging me that much?"

Like the person who put this post, I 've dealt with customers like this, this person is short on money and needs to fix the problem but doesn't want to pay. Then there's the other professional actor type, the one who agrees with your so called quote, waits for you to make the hole into his nice and shiny wall, waites for you to fix that nasty gushing leak inside, then gets mad at you for doing the work, argues, asks to speak to your "superviser, manager". Most of these nasty customers are men, you can't argue with these people and are to be avoided. Woman seem to understand much better, which is kinda funny.

For a small company, I tend to charge between $142 to $200 for common small jobs. I would have charged $200 minimum to do the above posters job. Lets see, $25 gas round trip more or less. Employee $25 more or less, business liability insurance, office costs, automotive insurance, cell phone costs, tire wear, oil change, adversting costs, book keeper charges, rooter maintanance snake wear-and-tear, suppliers costs, I don't know maybe $50. So that's $100 profit, sounds like a good profit for a small company. I imagine a company like roto-rooter or Mr. Rooter would have higher costs. If the above poster would have have genev me only $100 for the job which I doubt he would, I would be doing jobs for free.

We really need to educate these people. Either that or we need to get better jobs. Beacuase we are not earing a cent.

• Kj
    kjknight3 Aug 10, 2009

I have not been in Plumbing before, but I have been in other construction/service businesses for many years. The problem with so many who call and say they KNOW what the problem is and are upset that the technician insists on looking at other areas is because we as service providers have been burned so many times before by the person who initially says 'this is the problem and I know this is it' is that more than half the time, there are many other problems that are unseen, and if we fail to fix them and only do the insisted upon work, then we are blamed for missing the other issues.

It never fails. So, we have had to initiate requirements that we look at the entire area to see if there are other issues that can be documented and then give the customer the choice as to what they want repaired.

As for the customers/posters who felt 'pressured' into signing, well, sorry, you are a fool. Just say no and get someone else if you don't like what you see. To ### about it afterward and say someone ripped you off when you knew you didn't like it is just pitiful.

As for those who complain about the pricing, get over it. Businesses charge what they can to make money. They are a for-profit company. Again, if you don't like it, get someone else. I can't count how many times I've had to have my techs come in behind someone who didn't like the price quoted, and tried to do-it-themselves, and then botched it so bad that we had to come in and fix if for 2-3 times the price that it originally would have cost to fix it.

Finally, I don't blame them for not quoting prices over the phone. Again, so many times, when I tech gets there and actually is able to see what the problem is, it often requires much more work than what the customer said the problem was over the phone. Then the customer complains and insists on the original price that was for much less work. I really don't blame the consumers for trying to get work done fr as little as possible, but jeez, come on. These guys exist to earn a living and make money.

• Si
    Side Jobs Plumbing Aug 29, 2009

I am the owner of a larger plumbing company. Overhead is high. We must make a profit. Quoting over the phone is outrageous, because if the customer could actually properly assess the issue, he or she would be able to fix it. It is the same thing as calling an autobody shop and saying, "I just got into a car accident, how much to fix my car"? I mean, what kind of car, what extent of damage, parts still made for the car ETC... How can someone quote you over the phone? Only scam artists do that, but they always change the price once they arrive. I say to my customers, " No legitimate company will quote you over the phone, and beware of those who will."

• P9
    p98 Sep 06, 2009

beware of andre from the mcdonough offtce in atlanta ga they are crooks and should shut down - they tried to tell me that my line was brooken when i knew it was not and they could fix it for $3, 000 - 350 to unglog a drain - stay away they cannot survive without customers - pass the word around - I've filled a coumplaint with the state of GA Licensing Board - lets put them out

• Rj
    rjricochet Mar 06, 2010

roto rooter has been in business since 1935 and is the number 1 plumbing / drain cleaning company in the world... its dumbfounding how people can say they are a rip off, you dont get where they are ripping people off. not too mention i am a licensed plumber who works in sales now for an advertising company, and customers always think they know everything. usually ends up costing more because some "do it yourselfer" tried to fix it themselves and made the problem worse. plumbing is a service provided just like anything else, you get what you pay for. you cant judge a company who employees 3000+ employees based one a sigle occurance. and just like stated earlier, you quote a price for a problem that you dont know the extent of. what you people dont realize is that roto rooter doesnt charge a service charge just to come out like 90% of the others do. here i am defending them and never even worked for them! i just know how "customers" are, thining they know it all. some people you cant please period. and sounds like we have a group of them complaining here. furthermore, if you could have fixed the problem yourself to begin with, why did you even call a plumber? roto rooter is a great company, have a nice day!

Jake from Philly Apr 08, 2010

I had clogged drains in my house today.
    I called roto-rooter ... they had someone at my house within the hour.

the tech., told me the price up-front $400.
    he did the work .. unclogging the laundryroom washer drain and the upstairs bathroom shower drain.

I thought the price was a little steep ... but this is my first experience with a plummer.

but, , these days you get what you pay for.
    the tech finished in 2-3 hours, , cleaned up nicely ..gave me a 6 month warrenty 100%.
    I know roto-rooter, , will still be there in 6 months, if there is a problem.

So .. maybe I spent a few dollars more, , but piece-of-mind and the sound of drainging water, , is worth the extra ??( I guess maybe $80-$100) I could've saved with a fly-by-night plummer. So, I don't get to go to a restaurant this month ... it's worth it.

All things considered ... I am a happy customer with roto-rooter.

Maybe I overspent ...maybe I was taken .. like I said, my first plummer experience.
    but the job was done right.

Jack / Philadelphia

• Sw
    SWATPrez Jul 15, 2010

They are crooks, ripoff artists. They have tried, and succeeded in many cases to close the doors of their local competition. You show that you can do a better job, cheaper price, and more professional, they will come at you and your company with all they have. They can, and will, outspend most companies in court to put them out of business. They force people to lie, or pay them to do so, under oath. Very bad business practices, management and untrained employees. Hire stock boys off the street, make them buy their own truck, train them for several weeks and send them out to charge top dollar, like they were professionals, unreal. Crooks, thieves, liars, unfair business practices, etc. They suck, call a local small plumbing company for all your needs, you will be better off in the end.

• Lo
    love walmart Aug 16, 2010

it happened to me also..my toilet is clogged so i called them and says i can get online quote online and since its sunday sending somebody will cost me $40..but if i do it next day, the $40 is gone..then when the guy came, did the job for 5 mins using a snake, and charge me $180..what the hell?? i can buy the snake at walmart for much more less than the labor..i just cant drive..and the 40 is not even there..

• Fr
    Freedom123 Sep 19, 2010

Love Walmart...

You say you can buy a snake at Walmart for much less than the labor then you say you can't even drive... hmm. So truly you can't even make it to WalMart, yet alone fix your toilet.

Ignorant Americans you annoy me!

• Se
    Serviceman#Deuce5 Oct 12, 2010

I specialize in drain cleaning for a small company a third the price though the owner was an Ex-Roto Rooter superviser for 20 yrs, and just to drop The Big Machine and pull it to a Clean-out is about 5 min. Good thing you didnt get hung up and damage the cable or rented machine. That price is not too shabby being fully Insured. If a companies charging very low, That means they not fully insured, or have a Gimmick ready for you to make up for that low price. Or thats a first time customer price!

• La
    Lamber Nov 09, 2010

Called Roto-Rooter to unclog kitch sink pipe. Figured a big company would be less likely to take advantage of you. Had area easily accessible. Plumber took off one nut and ran snake down and back and replaced nut. Charged me 345 dollars. Total time from time he arrived in my driveway to time he left was 30 minutes, total work time 15min. No supplies. This amounts to over $600/hr of work. Neither the plumber or roto rooter was willing to reduce charge.

MY Mistake was not asking for estimate immediately upon his arrival; would have asked if he encountered anything more major and couldn't imagine paying more than 100-200 for 30 min of work.

The company was unwilling to even return calls; The plumber tried to blame the "company sets the price" and the company states the plumber comes up with the price. Obviously, the plumber makes up prices when he sees what kind of house you have.

• Ra
    rajesh bhai Nov 11, 2010

Dentking product is such a very nice product

• Re
    repotheroto Nov 19, 2010

IN Massachusetts it has been alledged that Roto Rooter sends unlicensed people to do work in Massachusetts. Theres currently a movement that has begun to stop this Practice. If you happen to have been an employee of Roto Rooter or customer and have Places, dates and times or an invoice of a Job that was done in Massachusetts please contact me at [email protected] Had you recieved PLUMBING serices (not drain cleaning) You may have in fact had a apprentice or drain cleaner do the work. In Massachusetts its illegal for an apprentice to do any plumbing work unless supervised by an licensed plumber. This may also be consumer fraud in hwich you may have legal recourse. Like i said this is something that has been alledged and not proven in a court of law as of yet. Your cooperation in this matter could be very helpful. Thanks

rotorooter Dec 01, 2010

I think all of these people that complain are pretty funny. I work for Roto-Rooter and we get so many people that would never get their drain open by theirselfs. They try with these little hand snakes and stuff, then end up calling us anyway. We get people who think that because their floor drain is backing up when they flush the toilet that is where they need to run the machine down. They waste money on driving to the store and wasting money on buying some machine or renting it or dumping so much drain cleaner down the line that they end up ruining their own pipe. They can just call us in the first place and spend 150-250 bucks in most cases and we will get the problem solved right. People think these prices are high but are they really. We drive to your house in our vehicle which is a large chevy van with thousands of pounds of equipment in it. It gets about 10 mpg. Then we bring in our own equipment some of which weighs close to 400 pounds. Some of the machines cost up to 25, 000 dollars. Then we fix your problem for you, and cleanup our mess when we are finished. Then we make any recommendations that we can to you. People have to realize how much money they are really saving. Would you rather pay a few hundred dollars in most cases, or would you rather go out buy the thousands of dollars worth of equipment yourself. That or would you rather us tell you that your sewer line needs replaced all the way to the street and that is going to cost you maybe 10 to 15 thousand dollars.

• Re
    Reckon Feb 17, 2011

Called Roto Rooter on Friday, Jan 4 at about 3 pm to schedule an appointment for the next day, if possible to fix a busted water pipe. I had no water in the home. Appointment was made for Saturday between 12-4. At about 2:00 on Saturday, I received a call that they couldn't make it out that day but assured me that on Monday a repairman would be there between 8-12. Needless to say, no one showed up and no one from the company called to tell me about a delay. I called them about 1:00 only to be told that the technician was tied up but I was next in line for service. 3:30 a dispatacher calls to say that they wouldn't be able to make it, and assured me that on Tuesday morning (4 days from first call) someone would be at my home between 7:30 and 8:00am. At 8:10 I called inquiring about the status of the repairman. After waiting on hold for 5 minutes, I was told "he's on the way". By 9:05 no one showed up so I left for work; enough time had been wasted. Finally at 9:30 the dispatcher calls to say the repairman is at my home. I spoke with the repairman and he quoted a price of $375 to replace a connector pipe that had burst. I had already priced the part anf knew it wasn't more than about $20.00. Then he went on to say that he had to figure out how to tackle the problem and the repair would take a few hours. I'm disappointed that it took 4 days to finally get someone out to the house and that was only after numerous calls back and forth. The repairman seemed unsure of himself. I chose a different company to do the work. I've used Roto Rooter in the past and was pleased. This time I'm very, very, disappointed. It'll be a while before I use them again!

• Li
    Lilly12 Mar 06, 2011

I just had to call a plumber... it is Sunday afternoon, lousy weather out here in upstate NY. Called four plumbers before calling Roto Rooter, got busy signals or answering machines. Called Roto Rooter, a person answered the phone, had a plumber calling me in 15 minutes. I knew it was just a clogged toilet, but it is something that can't wait until regular hours, so I knew it would cost me for an emergency call on a Sunday afternoon. The techs said they would come over after the job they were on, they were here within the hour, snaked the toilet, and went on their way, charging me $160, which is the going rate for a Sunday afternoon emergency call I would think. Yes, it took them longer to fill out the paperwork for the service call, but they were professional, pleasant, and didn't try to tell me it was something more than what it was. Snake, out of here, on to the next call. I have no problem with that kind of emergency service, and i realize that even though the price sounds high, it is expected for 24/7 service, and it wasn't exorbitant or over any of the other plumbers in the area who would have charged me the same price for Sunday afternoon emergency service.

• Wa
    watergirl4537 Mar 09, 2011

Roto-rooter refused to honour their $30 coupon from their own website.After having said on the phone that they accept coupons, they refused.Why have coupons on ur website it you don't accept internet coupons from ur own freaking website??!!VEry unprofessional, zero customer satisfaction.

• In
    intexas Apr 16, 2011

Just because someone calls a plumber doesn't mean that they can't do the job. Maybe they just don't want to, as in our case. My husband hates plumbing so we called Roto Rooter. They came out, told us it would be $249, and proceeded to snake the kitchen drain.

I just called John Moore Plumbing and they told me they usually charge $69 for the same job. I'm sure John Moore has overhead, insurance, pretty logos, etc. just like Roto Rooter but they don't seem to want to rip people off.

I don't think people should starve working in their chosen profession and would have happily paid a plumber $100 to do the job but what Roto Rooter charged was just too much.

Just my two cents.

Nadine
    Houston, TX

• Pl
    Plumb Best Apr 23, 2011

I am currently employed by Roto Rooter. I am a licensed plumber with over ten years experience in the trade. Did any of you know that, the techs own their own vehicles. Yes thats right we own/insure/ our vehicles and pay for all of our own gas. We are paid based on 100% commission. So its very often that we get called to a home 30 to 40 miles away to simply check on some shady work done by a hack in someones house. I drive all over the place for nothing all the time, people see "free estimate" and abuse it daily! We always give a price upfront, and our 24 hour service and warranties are industry leading. If you dont like the price dont accept the service thats all there is to it. We work hard and do good work. try getting any other company to your house on christmas, thanksgiving etc. or even at 6 at night to give an estimate cause you cant be bothered to leave work early. Some of you people are so irrational and impossible to please. Are we allowed to make a living? I would love to see the plumbing you do on your own. Im sure its laughable, and not to mention ILLEGAL!

Rotorootersucks Apr 25, 2011

Roto rooter was called to our home after the water company told us we had roots in the main drain. Their tech stuck a few blades through and told my husband we had a collapsed pipe. We finally had good weather to dig up the pipe and found that it was full of roots. I emailed rotorooter to tell them and stated that I think I should get my money back. They did investigate, but since they weren't called IMMEDIATELY after digging up the pipe and finding the problem, so they could check it they decided nothing would be done in our favor. Watch these people, if they say one thing, make them write it on the pink receipt, all ours says is "clogged drain". Duh!! I guess we are liars in their eyes, and they are ?

• Mo
    Mom Mom Apr 26, 2011

Same thing happened to me several years ago. This is the worst plumbing company.

• What I find most amusing is all the people on here that have said they went and bought the part themselves for like $10 and they were done in 5 min. Why did you call a plumber if you were going to fix it yourself? Also, to all the people who say they rip you off, why is it the plumber is a rip off artist but you doctors and lawyers aren't? I live in NJ and you should understand that just getting your Master Plumbers license, you state bond, and your insurance just so you can operate your business is an expense, not to mention gas at almost $4 a gallon, van insurance, advertising, tools/equipment, getting medical insurance for you own family on your own, rent on office space, paying employees that dont bring in direct income for the company(office staff), and many other things that cost a business owner money. You do the math and it makes sense. Plus people think that the man has at least 40 billable hours a week. Not when he is working up estimates that dont cost you a thing, loses money by going to homes that dont have a real problem but the customer calls anyway, running permits with the local township offices, and everything else he has to do to run a business that he cant charge someone for. Some people have nothing better to do then complain instead of looking in the mirror and realizing they are the real problem.

• Mc
    McGriffMydear May 26, 2011

I called Roto-Rooter (800- 768-6911) on Friday May 6, 2011, to unclog my kitchen sink. Guy arrives on time, works for a few minutes, couldn't find clog with his few moments of snaking then guessed problem was unvented pipe. We explained that pipe has never been vented in 7 years and it has NEVER clogged before. Roto-Rooter guy demands $150.00 even though we were all still looking at my clogged sink.

The Roto-Rooter man leaves my place a mess and leaves my house angry. I called the same number (800-768-6911) back on Monday morning, May 9, 2011 and they tell me that they are calling their attorney. I hope they do because we called another plumber on Saturday May 7, 2011, who found the clog and fixed the problem in a little more than 1 hour. No Clog...hah..Roto-Rooter?!

Bottom line, don;t call Roto-Rooter, call your local plumber they will fix your problem!!

• Gi
    Gibrarian May 28, 2011

RotoRooter was called to fix a toilet leak, a technician came and was trying to sell us a water restoration company service. He even dialed the number for us. I bet he is getting the commission or owns the water restoration business. It was awful. The water poured for several hours we are still waiting for someone to come. The man did not speak proper english and was urging us to call the water restoration service.

• Mr
    mr simmons Jan 07, 2012

i am 45 year old male with service exp from maytag, ups, basemnt waterproofing, and two nationwide plumbing companys..first a customer needs a first impression.second customers need a nice easy education of situation at hand..a service mans best sale for whatever amount of monies is pictures of realitive jobs as this customers..such as a plumbing problem with a leaking lead toilet bend dripping into basmnt..first take a picture with a poloroid, lay it on the table..second ask the customer to come with you too see their problem give them a flashlight to hold and look.third ask customer why has the lead toilet bend been repaired so many times and its 60 years old original yet its exposed with no ceiling, seems like a easy replacmnt? you quote customer $650.00..o, h thats way to much money, we cant pay that, thats robbery..you even said its exposed and seems like an easy replacmnt...sure just like thanksgiving dinner take the turkey out the bag and pop it in the oven and your done?now go to your past photos of same jobs done prior lay those out on table and throw theirs in the mix..ask them to find one like yours.great now show them invoices of prior jobs and moneys paid...the worst stories of people feeling ripped off and very upset is the education ...why go too yale or harvard when you can get the same education at a online university..dont forget as a customer you are paying for a law firm, plumbing company, doctor, vet for your animals, dentist.ect...you wont find a vet that just cuts nails, nor a lawyer that does just type and voice mail services, nor the doctor that just cures hiccups, nor thedentist who just repairs one tooth stains...my point is a company of any kind has too be good at your whole situation...and you at your job dont do just one thing and you want paid for your total education and skills...a plumber is the easy target 1st most plumbing is in your home you know how to use another sink or shower and how to prioritize repairs ..a person who has no freinds or neighbors to ask for refs has no connection to resolve money related repairs in their home and it is human nature to go on the get angry page...a blind date that costs you money, you dont know how much how involved or if the repair will last? your human..ive been in the top 3 people for residential plumbing in the usa for the last 6 years..i bring my franchise a million in sales per 12 months .i get paid more than the doctor next door the lawyer across street..i am great at my job because i deal with the doctors house lawyers, hospitals, schools, dentist, pilot, on and on..why do they call a plumber? im sure its because they have some kind of common sence that they would rather pay for security and somebody else owns this problem in my house and has warranty to go with it..and im free at last...know how severe your job is...is it a 1 or a 10? dont go too a surgen to get a tooth pulled, maybe a dentist..dont go to the car dealer for a flat, maybe a tire repair shop..dont call a plumber for a rusted out faucet and expect them too build you a new faucet by pouring metal and making forms to yours and thinking home depot can do that also...anyone you have too your home that is dirt cheap is ripping us all off by not paying permits, cash only, local license, bwc, 401k, and is better off going back to a third world country, , in the usa the usa lives and thrives on taxes and laws and paying your way..too many people that find fault with large companys are not in our best interests, couldnt tell you how many times customers tryed too ripp off my company i work for by asking can you do this on the side? ill pay you cash...bingo they are the ripp offs even in their own home..want to screw my company i love, not pay taxes like they should..try to get you to break the law with them..i can go on and on, , how much does the cell phone cost you a month?your car payment?your home?pay to play sports at school?colledge? the problem is your getting nickle and dimed elsewhere and you cant put a finger on it and screwed because you cant have all these things come to your home and break it down, someones comming to my home atlast the balls in my court...you called the guest to your house they didnt show up with a gun to your head.im not trying to cause pause but just the human reaction to a bad education in your home..my wife knows if someone comes into our home for service and says hi wheres the problem ok 50 bucks sign here, they got to go dont care price.buisness is to build relationships..if your upset your really pissed you didnt get the buisness relationship nor got too know your service person and also felt used by lack of respect and kindness you should get so the customer will go for the throat vs saying the reality and that they made a bad choice by not asking around before they just pick up the phone book and call anybody into their home..plumbing problems could be your least problem, when these flunkies come back and or tell their freinds about your home, furnishing, rings and things worth money i bet you will make a better decision in the next person company entering your home with you faimly ect children...my wife has been educated too use good judgmnt...thank you mr simmons columbus ohio

• Li
    lil buddy Oct 17, 2013

My neighbor is involved with roto rooter he is a very young guy but lives like a king he has a huge house new cars new everything I feel it is a total disgrace that roto rooter has a licence to steal. This guy is a plumber ### that loves ripping people off so he has everything better than anyone else..these ###s look like they never get dirty and think they're better than everyone.

Romy S. Aug 15, 2015

I called Roto Rooter on a Sunday knowing with their Ads no extra charge weekend/Holidays. The guy charge me $400 a 15 minutes job and I was floored with disgust. I know I don't have a choice but what a RIP OFF!!!. DO NOT use ROTO ROOTER again my friends.

• Sc
    Scott Moon Feb 22, 2016

most of roto rooters operating expenses i.e.van, gas, van repairs and maintainance and insurance is paid by the tech I did it for 10 years and grew very tired of it but I guess it was my own fault as far as machines go they make they're own same with cables(hollow core garbage) so they save a buttload there also they say they care but they don't they are like every other corporation out there money hungry megalomaniacal ###.

Annette Gagnon Jul 29, 2016

On may 28th, i had to call Roto rooter for a water leak coming out of my water main on my side of the pipes. They came and repaired the leak .I paid them $175.00 . This morning i find the water leak is back and I called them at 805 am. Tammy said she would give me a call when they were on their way . At 10am I called again and Tammy said that there were other people in front of me and that I was next. I believe this is unfair to me. I have already paid for a BAD JOB and they should have moved me to the head of the line since my issue was called in on tuesday the 28th. I have been sitting here for 5 hours and 40 minutes and still no one has showed up. This horrible service and horrible quality of work has now cost me an entires day of pay. I have searched the web and cannot find a corporate phone number or email address. This lady Tammy that I have been talking with is the Manager of my local Roto Rooter, She gave me the owners name but said his phone # was the same # i have been calling. He was not available. I would have to call back and try to catch him. I AM VERY DISPLEASED.