PowerHouse Gymclosed down without telling anyone

A

I had 2 years of membership left, fully paid, and they packed
up and left without any warning or compensation. Unable to
reach anyone to get this straightened out. Tried the mayor but
no reply from him.

• Gl
    glenn swift Jan 02, 2009

gave 30 day written notice to cancel month to month contract; several

• Ba
    babs Mar 04, 2009

I am very unhappy with this situation. They closed without any notice, and they charged me for the month of March.
    Cancel your credit card before they get you to.

• Ra
    RAG1979 Jun 24, 2009

Exactly, had 1.5 years left on a membership in Waterford, Michigan, not to mention that my sister, her friends and my parents signed on when I did. The gym closed its doors without any notification or refund to any of us. When we went to the gym there is a new owner and a supposed new name, even though the building and signs still say power house, was told that the memberships are null and void, unless we pay $100 more per person for our initial contract to be reinstated.

• Fu
    fuzzbutt Jul 27, 2009

Hey Rag1979, I have exactly the same issue at the same gym on Elizabeth Lake behind Applebees. Got the membership in October last year and basically am stuck holding a $202 piece of pink paper. Sounds like the former owners were selling "Promotional Memberships" to pad their coffers before they sold.

I thought my Bank (the nasty big one with the Red ATM's) might help but it looks like I am canceling all 5 of my accounts there too.

• Ra
    RAG1979 Jul 27, 2009

Hi there fuzzbutt...lol, well what I am trying to do is see if I can get the membership transfered to another power house before moving forward and filing law suits. My sister, father, brother and several of my sisters friends are all in this situation as well. When crap like this happens, it dampens peoples moods and turns them off from going to and joining gyms. This was not good tact for this gym to do this. However, I dont know if you heard, but if you give the new gym $100, they will at least allow you to keep your previous membership. (shrugs) is it worth it?

• St
    student28 Dec 16, 2009

It was a scam, knew it from the beginning! They took me for almost $500! Some employees there closing down the gym were selling fake memberships and filling their pockets! It's bull ### and I'm not happy at all.