Portfolio Recovery AssociatesDon't deal with them

J

I recieved a call from this debt collector back in the fall 2009. To begin with, they ask for a different name than mine. I told them my real name and the male voice said; oh yeah, I need to speak to you. The customer service representative went on to inform me, I was deliquent with an outstanding credit card debt. My response was, what are you talking about? He explained the year this debt was made ( 200o ) and the outlandish amount. I disputed his comment. This young man seemed relentless, so I politely hung up the phone.

Then came the numerous telephone calls until, I finally responded and ask them to send more information pertaining to this account. I specifically asked for the original credit card statement that would show purchases, store (s) names and dates of these purchases. What do they do? They send a notice with the account holders name ( mine ), the amount or balanced owed, the date account was opened. That was it. It took Portfolio three months to send that measly little bit of information? What happened to my REQUEST to review the original credit card statement?

Portfolio Recovery even sent me an Identity Theft Affidavit form to fill out. I refused to fill it out and send it back. It was asking too much personal information on myself. Why would they want MY drivers license number on this form? In this affidavit it wants me to point fingers by asking; person or persons that might had used my personal information to obtain money, credit, loans & etc... I'm not aware of anyone that would do that. It just made me uncomfortable to answer some of the questions.

The latest notice from Portfolio Recovery Associates was to let me know this will be an ongoing dispute. I'm starting to feel harrassed at this point. Maybe, I should contact the Federal Trade Commission about this dilemma. I agree with others, that Goverment should step in and stop these collectors. I've heard many stories from persons, that couldn't deal with this kind of mental and emotional cruelty.

jaberwocky Nov 12, 2011

when you asked for the info, did you ask over the phone? Or did you send a letter? If you just asked over the phone, they probably shrugged it off and sent just enough info to be able to say they sent you something.

If you sent a Debt Validation Letter via certified mail, with each request itemized, they have to provide all the proof you requested.

Furthermore, if they said the debt was from 2000, and you hadn't learned about it until 2009, that is already out of the Statute of Limitations, which means they cannot even legally collect it anymore. Of course they will try, but they can't sue you or anything once its out of the SOL.