Pizza Hutunfair service fee charges

S Review updated:

Obviously the happy people didn't notice a service fee on their receipts. We just paid 74.00 for 3 pizzas and 18 wings...$2.33 for a service fee and no one said anything about it. The prices are already high enough and now a service fee. I serviced myself by ordering online and picking it up myself. The receipt states "Service Fee is partially offsets the rising costs in CA" I don't think this is even legal. They are not a service establishment. We are now being charged more because we live in California. That is unfair treatment.

unfair service fee charges

• Pa
    Pathena Feb 05, 2021

I wish they'd just put that into the cost of the pizza. i'd most likely still buy it. the workers keep the places going - making, taking calls, delivering... they should get a fair wave, especially since parts of california are very expensive to live in. if the companies need to charge a bit more, then they should, rather than sort of hiding it as a service fee. (yes, it's on the receipt, but as not all companies charge it, I don't always look for something like this). I just noticed since I was getting a special and the price they quoted seemed high.

I go to different places - I tend to pay even more for local, mom & pops, and do so to support small business. but sometimes pizza hut (and other large companies) have good specials and so i'll go there sometimes. i'd rather companies paid people well but stayed more honest with their customers.

• Pa
    Paul Parmer Oct 17, 2020

just ordered 2 large pizzas, a 16 piece boneless wings, dipping sauce and 3x2ltr sodas to feed kids, clicked pay then suddenly was over 70 bucks. at this time i was thinking for that much i could get each kid there own pizza, owns sodas, and dessert even for each kid for that much. well placed the order anyways confirmed what i ordered, then the wait... received the order 45 min later but was missing the 16 piece wings, looked at the receipt and there was no wings but the dipping sauce was there still both items were missing still more than 70 bucks. goin to ceasers instead next time!. in palmdale california.

• De
    Dena Marie G Sep 22, 2020

I too was irritated when I first discovered this service fee. I have since learned that this fee is for helping the company to pay their employees a fair wage and meet healthcare obligations. I think that if businesses were upfront about the reason behind the service fees, customers would be happy to pay them. I think most of us would agree that it's expensive to live in California. If a small service fee is going to help a business pay their employees a livable wage then I'm okay with it.

• In
    InternetToughGuy Apr 29, 2019

I ran into this thing today and said “No Way!” For comparison, the same pizza (Meat Lovers) is $4.50 cheaper in Memphis TN vs San Jose CA. So, $4.50 + $2.10 service fee = $6.70 more not including the tax and delivery fee. So, I agree with the poster here that it sure does seem like gouging. Now, we’re told participating restaurants are going to tack on a “Climate Change” fee as well.

I’m done with restaurant food.

• Ke
    Keith Falkowski Feb 07, 2019

Not only the service fee is questionable but charging you tax on take out is illegal Pizza is a consumable and not taxable only if it is dinning in. This is with all restaurant take out is not to be taxed.

Anthony WP Dec 19, 2018

All I got to say is what Pizza Huts do some of you go to, I live in Southern California just outside of LA, I pay $9.99 for a large three topping at any time, 3 large 3 toppings would be $29.97 + screw it I'll snag 40 wings= $25. So far that's $54.97, slap on my tax and screw it gets go delivery, tax $5.38 delivery $4.50. That totals to $64.85, slap on the $2 service fee. $68.85 plus my tip and I'll feed a party. If you are one of those snotty ppl that has never worked in the service industry and doesn't believe in tipping than save yourself the tip and delivery money and you got nothing left to moan about. Not to mention if you are a member you can use your points for free food. If you don't like the little service fee, go somewhere else.

• Er
    ernie chu Nov 09, 2018

The service fee that they began charging their customer whether carry out or delivery as I was told by my regular pizza hut place where I live said that its for their new answering system. When you call to order pizza and they are too busy to answer it will automatically transfer you to a call center overseas and talk with the customer service and order it for you by computer. Still when I called it took them a long time to pick up and spoke with a heavy accent lady and offer a lot of other things. I told her I just want to order a large peperoni pizza just like I always do. Then she ask me where do i want to pick it up?

• Ha
    Hari Iyer Aug 07, 2018

better off getting from little ceaser, atleast it is $5 or so, not greasy with too much cheese.

• St
    Steve Mercier Jul 06, 2018

If Pizza Hut needs to charge more for a pizza to make money, add it to the price of the pizza up front. Don't tell me I'm paying one price and then add more to the price when I check-out without my consent.

• Gl
    glennie Jun 07, 2018

first i have to say i love pizza hut BUT had a bad experience with the store in kingston north end
    went there for a take out pizza, asked the person behind the counter if they had any take out specials? ( every pizza place does) his response "NO" that was it, i asked again, as if i thought he didn' t understand, me, so you don't have any specials? again his response "NO" so i'm thinking now what, my 11 year old and i are hungry, we're here, oh well just order something.
    so i oder a small 2 topping which normally fairly rerasonable. it was $20 not so reasonable, so i leave come back and wait and wait and wait its after 8 pm nobody in the restaurant and took 30 minutes. the final insult is when they brought it to me, it was smaller than small pizza, it actually is the persoanl pan pizza they sell at lunch ( as i mentioned, like pizza hut) for $5, so rude, slow and ripped off will NOT be going back there EVER!!!