PeoplePC β€” Continued to charge

M

I used Everyone's Internet for a couple of years. They were purchased by PeoplePC and I received information in the mail to activate my PeoplePC dialup service. I had just gotten TimeWarner's RoadRunner so I did not activate the new PeoplePC account with the provided CD and info. I noticed that PeoplePC started charging me like ev1.net had been. This seemed odd but understandable. I tried to contact them to tell them to cancel any account and stop charging but was told to call back at a better time because they were very busy and the wait time would be more than 30 minutes. I called back three times and got a similar recorded message each time. I was too lazy to keep calling or send a letter so I would call every four or five months and get the message. My fault. When the expiration date on my credit card expired they called me. I explained that I no longer wanted their service and understood that they would not refund my two years of fees because I never actually cancelled my account with the company that they bought. They said that I would have to pay them for the last month and asked for my credit card information. I refused to give them that information and told them that I would not pay them for the last month. The next month I saw a charge on my credit card. They kept trying my credit card account number with different expiration months and years until they got the correct one. I am not sure if this is illegal but called them, got the same call back recorded message, but ignored it this time and got a customer service rep within five minutes. I cancelled my account and will wait to see if they try to charge me again. If they do I will investigate the possibility of a class action suit against PeoplePC.

• Da
    dave smith Feb 06, 2008

PEOPLEPC IS CROOKED. They steal money from your account following your cancellation. Upon further contact, they tell you your account wasn't canceled, that they apologize, they are unable to refund your (stolen) money and here is your new cancellation number.

• Ev
    EvE Edwards Feb 15, 2008

you are surely right peoplepc is a scam they still charged me money even though I cancel before the next due date. I had to treathen them that I would broadcast all over the internet that they are no good trying to steal people money, thats how I had to finally make them stop the charges on my account.

• Ge
    Geraldine Wilder Apr 01, 2008

I was charged (they withdrew from my checking account without my knowledge or permission) $149.00 and some cents for closing my account. I had PeoplePC for over 5 years and did not have a contract with them. Please help me get my money back?

James Mauro Apr 10, 2008

I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.

• Je
    Jean Cordell Apr 22, 2008

I can never get into my email, it is total aggrivation. I am ready to cancel this service and go back to netscape. Peoplepc has never showed any improvement to customer service. I had a previously problem and I spoke with 3 different people and finally after venting for a while, he did help me. I will never recommond Peoplepc to anyone, in fact I will tell people to NOT to subscribe.

• Bl
    BLAINE KNEPPER Jul 24, 2008

I canceled service with them, then they charged me with $1.95 a month charge for e-mail, tried to call them, all they would say it was canceled and they couldn't refund my money, even though I didn't ask for the service, this is terrible service for them!

No customer service!?!? Aug 06, 2008

I opened my account with peoplepc in 2006. I can celled my service in June 2008. I had a bad feeling and logged back into my account today to find out they were still billing me for services that I canceled well over two months ago. I called customer service where I was told there was nothing I could do and the collections department was going to start calling me.

• De
    denise Sep 10, 2008

i agree with you 100%

• Ke
    keith Nov 05, 2008

Hi!,

As per the DSL service policy of peoplepc, your DSL service is a one year contract/term, if any customer discontinues DSL service before the contract/term, an early termination fee of $149.00 charged. Which is clearly mentioned in our terms and condition on www.peoplepc.com

Regards,
    Keith M.

• Lo
    Lorraine Nov 25, 2008

On dec 2 2006 I called in to cancel my service because ppp could not provide high speed int. in my area peoplepc has been take out of my checking accout every month foer 2 years even though I called to camncel they did cancel 2 months I want All my money refund

• Oz
    Ozzys Angel Jan 28, 2009

I have been with peoplepc for years now, and have been quite happy. But as of late i have become quite disatisfied with them, I keep getting desconnected every few minutes and i am seriously considering canceling and finding a new company.

• Da
    daisy Jun 01, 2009

I tried to cancel peoples p.c. and they said o.k. and it would be free till june 14, 09. I again got a charg e against my Visa, so called again. This person ( in Manila), said it hadn't been canceled, as I called on the 15th instead of before the 14th! And, when I argued I had asked it to be stopped, they said, if you don't have a confirmation number you didn't cancel. This person as they other one did, apologized over and over till I wanted to throw up. He gave me a confirmation number, but I will see what happens on my next Visa bill.

• Te
    Terry Aug 03, 2009

We never could get the internet service to work on our old computer, so we have never used the service, but people pc will not cancel our account, or refund our payments for services we have not received. This has been 2 years now, in spite of numerous long distance phone calls..

• To
    Tobby Oct 10, 2011

I closes my account with peoplepc about that time ago. They have been charging my since that time. I would like to be reimbursed for the charge that I havent been using.

• Ti
    Tiago Oct 17, 2011

I called PeoplePC to cancel their service. I have paid for a year service and only used about 3 months. Since my service was soooooooo slow, I changed to another server. I asked that they refund the money for the unused service. They just laughed at me and said tough. They have a no refund policy which I was not aware of. I told them they were stealing money and they said so what. There wasn't anything I could do about it.

• Ca
    captcdo Jul 21, 2014

I am still being charged. I've went to my bank, they can't help me. I've called people pc, and got the run around, they have no record of me, and now they just raised the amou t they're stealing from me.

• Valerie Jun 03, 2016

It sounds great 10.95 a mouth but try to cancel and they just keep taking. Money that you work for not them. I called and canceled back in November of 06 and this is October of 07 and I am still having trouble with them taking money out of my bank. The crazy part is they don't take it every mouth.

Some times they skip a mouth. Some thing has to be done, how can they keep doing this over and over to people? Peoplepc internet $10.95 for life. That is what it should say in the terms and agreement.

James Mauro Jun 03, 2016

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices