Complaints & Reviews

Unauthorized bank account withdrawals

I cancelled my subscription in September of 2006, showed a credit of $69.60 on people pc account, got two different cancellation numbers, heard nothing for a while and now in March 2007 they are withdrawing $22.91 from my bank account. Have not been able to contact anyone in any manner whatsoever. How does a person handle this. The bank told me they can stop any auto withdrawals when people pc uses the code numbers they are using now but all they have to do is change one number of that code and they will still be successful in accessing my account. What should I do now. Any one out there have any ideas?

• Vi
    virginia Berry Apr 17, 2007

PeoplePc.com - I am being charged 10.95 a month for PeoplePc. Internet I do not have PeoplePc. Internet and I tried once before to get it disconnected and they are still charging me for it. What can I do about it. I have SouthernBell internet through my telephone company and I can use my internet and still get my phone calls PeoplePc. does not have this option so I called them and told them to please to disconnect and they are still billing me. I want it stopped. If I cannot get this resolved I will cancel my bank account and they won't be able to get anymore of my money for nothing.

• Ge
    GEORGE BUCKMILLER May 17, 2007

HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEM AFTER GETTING A DSL LINE. CALLED TO CANCEL....GIVEN A FREE MONTH IN CASE THE DSL DIDN'T WORK AND THIS WEEK MONEY STOLEN OUT OF MY CHECKING ACCOUNT. GET NO SATISFACTION, CAN' T UNDERSTAND LANGUAGE (SUPPOSED TO BE ENGLISH) HAVE FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC. MAYBE THEY CAN STRAIGHTEN THIS OUT

Complaints on "PeoplePC"

P.O. Box 26909
    San Francisco, California
    Phone: 631-649-4393
    www.peoplepc.com

I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.

• Tr
    trea carver May 05, 2008

i am also being charged for a service that i have canceled twice on the phone with differant representative of this company.for a few months they were not takeing any money out of my account, i thought the matter had been taken care of.Now it is may2008 and on the 5th day of this month they have withdrew 10.95 out of my account again.do we need to get a lawyer envolved in this matter or the better buisnes bureal.i cant afford to pay for a service that iam not recieveing and do not want just because this company is obviously desperate for money and feels like ripping of the consumers.

• Li
    Liz LaBord May 03, 2011

I canceled my internet service with PeoplePC in January 2007. They gave me a free month in case I decide to continue with the service, and told that at the end of the free month the account will be closed. When I was looking through my bank statement in March 2007 I noticed PeoplePC is withdrawing $22.91 from my bank account. I've been trying to resolve this ever since. Apparently, my account has not been closed and they continue charging me for the service I no longer use.

Very poor customer service!

For nearly three months, I have tried to end my services with Peoplepc. As with any contract, I have tried to...

Save yourself a headache!

We were using peoplepc at our office but finally got wireless. Thus started the almost eternal struggle to get the peoplepc cancelled.

We have cancelled in October, then they charged in November, called in November then charged again in December, called in December and now charged again in January. These people are almost impossible to reach and have NO CLUE what customer service is. Every time and I do mean every time you call to cancel, you immediately get a recording that says that they are experiencing high call volume and to call again another time. The only way around that is to call for technical support and then ask them to transfer you. Once transferred, be prepared to wait and wait and wait and wait.

They have NO phone numbers published anywhere that you can contact customer service resolutions, no contact information on the website, no e-mail address to write to, the only information you can get is to sign up or call the 800 number and be put on eternal hold.

After 42 minutes, I was transferred to the Escalation Department. Another marathon of being on hold. Sounds like a lawsuit coming out of this just like with AOL customers!!!

After being on hold now for 69 minutes, I am dedicated to stay on line until someone answers.

DON'T SIGN UP FOR PEOPLE PC AND YOU CAN AVOID A LOT OF HEADACHES!

• Co
    Cort Stone Mar 26, 2007

I had service with my local ISP for several years, then they went under and sold everything to People PC, including all of the servers and equipment. So, I had no choice but to accept them as my new ISP. I was only with them for a couple of months, and what I've read about the other complaints are true; They don't want you to go as a customer, and they're willing to resort to hard selling, bribery, guilt tripping, and other trickery to keep you.

I was offered everything from 3 free months to a $3.95 deal to keep my email address, with NO service at all.

Umm, yeah. So, the key is to ask the correct questions, and make the correct statements.

Ask them- "Will I still have to call back at the end of my retention inspired free trial period?"

State to the person on the phone- "I do not wish to do any more business with People PC or any of it's affiliates anymore, ever again. DO NOT charge my card anymore".

I can't say it will work everyone, but it worked for me, so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

It's shameful to rip off old disabled women, we don't deserve it.

charlotte Sep 10, 2007

I've cancelled my service 5 times in a row now! I just got off the phone with a rep, in between trying to make convesation about their sevice. I told him that I am so darn pissed off right now that I just needed him to sit in silence until the refund processed to keep me from saying anything bad to him. Now I'm out $80.00 from my account. I need to change my bank information in order for them to stop this crap. What an inconvenience, I shouldn't have to do this!

• Wv
    wvbeckyr Jun 21, 2009

I'm out $37.07 because the brilliant people who run PeoplePC decided to keep charging my EXPIRED credit card for 4 months rather than canceling my account after it didn't go through the first time. THEN, to make matters worse, I did not receive any letters or anything from PeoplePC saying that I had an outstanding balance, instead it was turned over to a collections agency! WHAT?! Come on, first you're dumb enough to charge an expired card 4 months, then when YOU fail to inform me I have a balace (again, because of your own stupidity) you turn me over to a collections agency?! I was furious! Then the lady I talked to on the phone kept saying "didn't you read the agreement?" UGH! I was so disguested. At least I got out of her that my account was now canceled and I won't be getting any more charges. What a joke! Could they not tell that there was NO activity on my account. What company allows your account to stay open after the charges do not go through? Oh, yeah... PeoplePC does just so they can make money off of you. NEVER NEVER NEVER use PeoplePC!

• Ag
    AGrimm Jul 05, 2010

In July of 2009, I pre-paid for a year's worth of email account service. In June of 2010, I received an email stating my service was coming due so I called and canceled my account because I no longer need the email account. On June 30, 2010, I received a phone call from People PC stating that I had a bill of $4.05 that I needed to pay. Come to find out, because I did not wait until my pre-paid service was expired, I was being charged for the month and they supposedly reimbursed for the service I didn't use. I checked my bank account and did not receive any reimbursement. They called me daily to harass me for the money but I refused to pay it. I even spoke to the manager about it but they insisted I owed the money. Finally, I pulled up my bank information and found the exact date I paid for my service then called them back. At that point they were claiming that my year subscription didn't start until July 28, 2009. I then calmly stated that they pulled my payment out on July 4, 2009 for the year subscription, then in June I received an email stating that my subscription was due which I then called to cancel because I no longer wanted it, and finally when I did call and cancel that I was not informed that I would be reimbursed for service I didn't use and that I would owe money for the month. Only when I came across as more informed with dates and such were they willing to remove the balance from my account. Hopefully, I don't have any more issues but I went ahead and reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. I suggest everybody do this so that the FTC receives enough complaints to take criminal action. It may not resolve your direct situation but it will help others down the line. Upon further research, I discovered that the FTC already has forced People PC to pay $100, 000 for the product delivery service (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2002/08/peoplepc.shtm) so they are already familiar with this company's questionable business practices. Now it's our duty to continue informing the FTC about the scandalous business practices that People PC is still using. Who knows, they may force the company to close or something.

Being sued by Earthlink for a bill that is not owed!

I am being sued by Earthlink for a bill that is not owed! I had Earthlink internet and the service was awesome, so I decided to get Earthlink cellular service.I got the family plan of three phone's.I had thirty day's to cancel service and not be liable for the two year contract.I only activated two of the phone's and sent them back to Earthlink via UPS because they did not work. In my living room, it was roaming!After numerous week's of calls to the company, I thought the issue was resolved.Was I wrong!I am being sued for $297.15 for thirty day's worth of "taxe's"!In addition, even though I had the internet disconnected 5 mont's ago, they are still taking it out of the account!Every time I call Earthlink, there is a different reason that I owe $297.15!!!I do not know what to do.

Love, Joshie

Charles Peterson Jul 23, 2008

I signed up in February to use Earthlink dial-up service, and I was promised a six month promo monthly fee of $9.95. I use the service to provide an internet test to some students I tutor, and I used it twice in February and again twice in May. I paid the $9.95 fee on time every month. But Earthlink started sending me bills for $11.95, charging me a dollar for mailing their bill, and another dollar for not signing up for payment on the internet. I sent them a letter saying I did not owe them the two extra dollar additional monthly charge because I did not not want to pay my bill on the internet, and if they chose to bill me by mail, it was their choice. I also contacted them on their website and let them know that I was promised a promo rate of $9.95 a month. On those calls I was again assured that I did have that rate and they understood that I did not choose to pay on the internet and that I had no intention of paying them $1 to bill me every month. I quit Earthlink on May 26, and I paid them for the time that month I had used their service, from the 5/17 to 5/26. They have now referred a bill for $11.66 to a collection agency. Can anyone tell me how spread this complaint against Earthlink. I will never use their service again, and will tell others not to use their service.

They would not cancel my account

I have been trying to cancel a peoplepc account since about June. They kept giving me more time. Well in August I called them once again and they supposedly canceled my account. I did not have any email so I deleted it off my outlook. Well when looking through my bills Saturday. I find out they are still charging me for an account i don't use. I checked and it was back up again. I guess Earthlink bought them so they can do all sorts of strange things. I have been trying to get through to them most of today found out that i need the number. So if they give you a cancellation number never throw it out. Put it in an address book where it can be saved for years because they may start up your account. Also there is no place where you can delete an account. I guess I will be calling my credit card tomorrow to complain, or cancel the account you have used. I think I may do that also. That way they can't do any more damage.

• Ca
    Carlos J Aponte Jun 26, 2007

I too have been trying to cancel an account with MINI REPORTS SERVICES and I have not been successful. This people are taking advantage of everyone. They should have the option to cancel online, the sameway we can sign up for the service. Trying to contact someone or get any results form this company is almost impossible. I had to call my bank to get a phone number for this company because they don't even have the phone number on the statement like any other company will do. Again they are ripping up people. Who needs to pay so much to check their credit report, $9.95 a month it's a lot of money for some people. Same on you Mini credit report services.

Complaints on "PeoplePC"

San Francisco, California
    Phone: 631-649-4393
    www.peoplepc.com

Total incompetence

I was supposed to have been connected on EarthLink's True Voice phone service on October 10. The...

No legal obligation to refund anything

How do I pursue a refund or a reversal of charges that I did not know about?

Peoplepc advertised on television an aid for $10.99 monthly internet service provider charge. I did not have a DVD to install or have access to Peoplepc. I called Peoplepc. Yet, I was told there was an overload on the system. Consequently, I had to call back at a later time. I tried for several days. But, each time I was unable to access Peoplepc. Thus, I abandon the attempt to connect or link via internet.

Later, I happen to notice a charge from Peoplepc. I called to inquire. The first question asked even on the publicly listed only available telephone number for Peoplepc is: What is your telephone number? What is your name; and what is your credit card number? This time, I refused to provide a telephone number. The first two customer service rep's who responded to my calls, hung-up when I refused to provide a telephone number. After the fourth call [two calls to the customer service-operator, one call to customer service-new customer, one call to customer service-existing customer, one transfer to technical service, one transfer to headquarters, a second transfer to the cancellation desk, a third transfer to an alleged customer service supervisor.] Upon the last transfer, I was informed I had an account number. Peoplepc did not record any initial customer service signup-even though the caller is informed the call is recorded. It is Peoplepc policy that it is the customer's responsibility to timely cancel any service. Thus, even though I never had access to Peoplepc, I never authorized Peoplepc to start the account [the information initially demanded under false pretense was used to the benefit of Peoplepc] and I never used, Peoplepc refused to reverse any charges because it was not timely requested. The customer service supervisor said under the terms of contract [that I did not have access to; did not know the terms] Peoplepc would not now provide this alleged account number; they refuse to reverse any charge but would immediately cancel the account. If I had a complaint, I could e-mail or write the company. But, Peoplepc was under no legal obligation to refund anything. Is there a government agency that I can file a complaint to continue the dispute? Help please; provide suggestions, other remedies,... any one.

• Pa
    patricia cornish Mar 03, 2008

I have been charged for services that i do not have. This acct. has been closed since Dec.2017. I have been charged over draft fees from my bank many times because of this problem. I want it fixed TODAY. I will be seeking professional help with this problem. THIS DON'T MAKE SINCE a large company like this ripping people off.

• Bo
    Bonnie Zanghi Oct 25, 2008

We cancelled People pc and went to high speed several months ago
    I am still being billed $1.95 monthly.
    Would appreciate it if you would stop billing my visa for this amount, There is no reason for it.
    Reference #24692168259000565445448
    Bonnie Zanghi

• Ra
    raquel Dec 04, 2008

call this phone 361-8524949 this is the better bussiness mybe the can help

Beware of the crooked practices of Earthlink!

In August 2006, I checked on-line for DSL availability through Earthlink to replace my existing SNET/Yahoo DSL. Their system stated DSL was available, so I signed up. Shortly thereafter, I received an email back stating that they could not supply me DSL. I was very surprised, but figured this was the end of it. Now I just got another email showing a bill that Earthlink already collected for their dial-up service, which I never requested. This is infuriating that they would stoop to charging unsuspecting consumers for services they do not need or want. After about an hour on the phone with Earthlink (and a supervisor), they finally agreed to refund the illegal charges. I am still angry that they stole from me to begin with and that they changed their story about DSL availability (even though I know it is available). Beware of the crooked practices of Earthlink.

Satellite internet service

I have been using Earthlink's satellite service that uses DirectWay equipment for over 4 years. The old modems, DW4000 units, are no longer available as they were replaced first by the DW 6000 modems and then the DW7000 ones. My DW4000 has been failing intermittently for several weeks. I have spent over 4 hours talking to tech support people at Earthlink and they keep asking the same questions to which my answers are apparently not being recorded by the tech support personnel. They have done everything they can to avoid replacing my defective modem, having me go through endless diagnostics, re-install the software, disconnect cables, etc., which I have done. Now in spite of a USB hardware device failure error messages the last tech insisted that it was due to a virus and that I needed to add the latest service pack from Microsoft and if I refused while then the problem was the bad customer and not the bad tech support. My only recourse is to terminate my account with Earthlink and start a new account with DirectWay to get service and support.

Bruce
Prunedale, CA.

Marc Fish Apr 19, 2007

While I do not have the same exact situation that you are describing, I can say that in my opinion, Earthlink has been the absolute WORST ISP in the history of the web. I work in the software industry, and can tell you that Earthlink is a corporation that systematically provides horrible service and has VERY SHADY billing practices.

Even IF you were happy with Earthlink - they pull all kinds of scams and rip-offs to steal as much money as possible from each and every customer. The money you reportedly "save" by using their poor quality and unreliable service is more than lost when you factor in the down-time and numerous excessive charges they make.

Hidden Charges:

We moved to a new home, very close to our old one - all we wanted was to transfer our Earthlink account to the new number. Earthlink stated that this would require a ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY dollar TRANSFER FEE. That is 150.00 dollars to go into the account and enter a new telephone number.

We fought tooth and nail against this treatment, and finally got a compromise where we STILL HAD TO PAY for the transfer. Ridiculous.

Unreliable Service:

Earthlink service goes down more than any other service we had ever used. As I stated before, I work in the software industry, and by no means a novice when it comes to configuring my home systems for internet access. That being said, if you ever call Earthlink for some Tech Support, you will be put on the phone with an individual who seemingly has no experience with the actual software or hardware itself, and is simply reading from some kind of a checklist in front of them.

THEY CHARGE YOU FOR THIS TECH SUPPORT BY THE MINUTE. While this may seem reasonable, the part that isn't is the fact that they try to keep you on the phone as long as possible, and try to spend time asking questions that you know have nothing to do with the problems. So for example, when I call Tech Support, they go through all of the most basic items, VERY SLOWLY, while I know for a fact that everything is set up properly. I start out by telling the Tech everything I have done - BEFORE they can ask any questions. At the end of a very long and costly conversation, they confirm that the problem was on their end, and STILL try to bill us for the call! Outrageous.

"Transfer Fee" to Cancel and Account?

Another weasel tactic they use is to charge a "transfer fee" in addition to the "Cancellation Fee" described in the contract. They will state that this is in the contract even if it is not - most people dont keep copies of these contracts on file to dispute these claims.

Do not accept this kind of treatment from Earthlink. They have settled in numerous cases alleging fraud and misconduct. We warned Earthlink that if they attempt to bill us for their fraudulent claims, we will file suit, and speak to local media outlets (such as newspapers and tv news consumer groups) about these outrageous and unacceptable business practices.

• Li
    Linda Andrews Obrycki Apr 02, 2019

Came to a tenative agreement of the overcharges..On my acct. But the acct has been cloned & taken over. I still need money back from over charges for over 2 yrs. There is still a hacker that is into my peoplepc. Acct. This is fed offence and i will not pay new lowhered pay. Until my money credited . I have enough in there for yrs. Of payments.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices