Complaints & Reviews

Phone & Internet service

I got Clear about a year and a half ago. At first everythoing worked OK. Then about 2 months later we started having issues. If we were not in thoe same room with the modem we would have spotty Internet connection at best. 4 months later we moved 2 miles away, and our Internet service has been good some days and non-existent on others. Now, for the past 2 months, I haven't been able to receive incoming phone calls, they go directly to my voicemail. And a week ago, I lost the ability to make outgoing calls. I have attempted to use the online chat to correct the issues, however they constantly tell me the same thing. Unplug the phone and modem cables, wait 2 minutes, replug everything in correctly and try again. Obviously if this didn't work the first time what makes thoem think it will work thoe 50th time. Then they tell me to call them!! If I had a working phone, I wouldn't need to contact them. I have probably talked to over 15 people just in the past 9 days and I still can't use my phone. If they don't get it fixed today, I'm going to tell them to cancel my 2 year contract and I will go with the local phone company for my service. You would think that they would want their customers to be happy and satisfied, but I think they are the worst company I have ever dealt with, this includes Government Agencies whose job is to make every one miserable!!

Really bad service

This is just so frustrating. I get home everyday at 7pm and my download speed is between 0.01Mb/s - 0.20Mb/s. Anybody who know about internet know that with that kind of speed it takes you about 5 minutes just to open a single page. I've called them so many times asking them why if I'm paying $54.00 a month, I can't even watch anything on youtube. I was told "I'm not lying" that when I use the internet, to stay away from videos, games, movies or things like that and my internet was going to catch speed. Wow.. Now I'm fighting just to get out of contract. If you can't deliver the service that I signed for and I'm paying for, I should be let out of this contract. Anybody out there... DO NOT GET CLEARWIRE!!!

• Gr
    GregoryChicago Mar 26, 2012

When I signed up with Clear 2 years ago, they advertised speeds up to 6mg. after several months they changed the policy with speeds up to 1.5mg., same price and I was still locked into a 2 year contract. I filed a complaint with the attorney generals office, I suggest you do the same. They will get fined per complaint if enough people follow through with this.
    Greg

Fraud

I called Clear on 12/19/11 to inquire about internet offer that was advertised online. I explained to the sales rep i was interested in the $35.00 offer. He explained the monthly fee and there were no hidden fees or costs he just needs my credit card info to get started. I then proceeded with the credit card info and then verified that he was only billing $35.00 to my debit card today. He then stated he will explain the billing breakdown in a moment. He then proceeded to tell me the cost for today would be approx $150.00. I then told him i wasn't interested. He then stated it is too late I have already placed your order and your card has been billed. I would now need to call customer service to cancel. I called customer service to cancel and told them I never authorized this transaction and have been mislead into a sale, I want this canceled immediately and my card refunded. The customer service rep said the package is now in shipment I need to refuse the shipment to refund my monies. I never authorized or gave permission for this transaction, and have been totally taken advantage of.

• Cl
    Clearwire Ripoff Sep 29, 2010

I signed up for a free trail but was mischarged on my credit card. for $52.40

I was promised a refund but refund was sent back to wrong credit card (one that I dont own) - prepaid gift card

I called back days later and they refunded it to the wrong card again (another card I dont own) - prepaid gift card

Because of the hassle, bank overdraft fees, and my phone time used I got a Full month's credit on my Clear account.

I only got refunded $5.23 on my credit card and called back wondering where the rest is.

The Clear Rep. tries to make me sign up for 2 year contract and we get into an argument.

I check back and my credit that was on my account gets removed

30 days later no refund, no credit and Clear claims they sent refund to Credit Card but I never got it.

They say on their end it shows up that I got the refund, but its not there.

I WAS FRAUDULENTLY RIPPED OFF BY CLEAR!WIRE!!!

Broken Modem- they don't care

Whatever you do don't get Clearwire as you Internet Service Provider. Not only have I had poor signal...

por service/cancellation tactics

Buyer Beware. Once you enter into a Clear Channel TOS agreement, you will not be let out without cancellation fees no matter how bad your service is or how many times you call them. They will offer up a million excuses and blame the problem on YOU even though the problem is "clearly" theirs.

It won't matter how well you state your case or who you talk to at Clear. They will not let you out without charging you $$$$. It only adds insult to injury and you will be furious that you ever did business with this company. After more than 1 hour on the phone with customer service and being bounced back and forth more than a ping-pong ball, we finally spoke with Rachel, CS# 45160. Not only was she not helpful or understanding, she was outright rude with a stick-it-to you attitude.

After paying on time for the service for over 10 months, the modem never received a signal stronger than 1-2 bars which equates to very slow service. After multiple calls to customer service, including visits to the Clear Channel stores to explain and complain, nothing changed and no improvements. It is also notable that none of these calls or visits were “noted” in the customer file when you call to cancel.

You will have to call your credit card company, explain the entire problem all over again and hope they reverse the charges. Clear Channel is bordering on being a scam company with these types of hardball, take no responsibility tactics with consumers.

The only thing worse than the service is trying to cancel it!
Buyer Beware!

refund of activation fee

I agreed to sign up for their wireless broadband service on the condition that the $35 activation fee be waived. After checking with his supervisor the salesperson said I would be billed for the activation but then have it refunded to me in the form of a gift card. Two months have passed and after two calls to customer service they are refusing to refund the amount.<br />
In addition, I've been using their so-called high speed service of 6 mbs, but find that it is just as slow as the DSL lite I had prior to switching to Clear. <br />
Their customer reps are incompent, don't have the authority to resolve any real problems and will tell you what you want to hear just to get you off the phone. Recommend you steer clear of this unethical company. I am currently looking for a different service provider.

• Ih
    I Hate Clear Sep 07, 2010

I bought there modem and found out when I got home I could not use it bcaus I was on a fnge area where the signal is hit and miss. I was also told I would have 14 days to return it if I did not like it or need it. Upon attempting to return the modem I had to jump through hoops to send it back. Then I didn't even get a full refund. I was never told that the activation fee was not able to be refunded.

Authorized charges to a card not on file and refuses to refund me after I cancelled and sent equipment back

Clearwire scammed me and my personal injury is financial and distressed. I cancelled services with Clearwire on Sept 4, 2009. they charged me $205 to cancel early. Reason for cancelling, I was lied to and charged a different amount. My regular service fee is $35 a month. The credit card info clearwire had on file for automatic payments was cancelled by my bank USCCU back in the summer of 2009, as they beleived my account info was compromised. So each payment after was made with an one time authorization fee. Well August 7, 2009 clearwire called me and offered to waive all of my past due 2 mos of services fees and bring my account current for the month of Aug if I made a payment. I asked them since my payments are due on the 8th of each month, would this payment be for August payment. The young man said yes, you will not be due another payment until Sept 2009. So I made the payment on Aug 7th. The next day, my mom had difficulty accessing the clearwire internet service and a msg below read that I have a payment that is currently due. I contacted the clearwire manager on Aug 10th and he claimed that the payment I made on the 7th was only for June and July and that I still have a payment due for August. I explained everything the young man told me and gave the manager the direct line to the young man I spoke with the Friday before. The manager then said, they would waive the August payment until Sept 8th and that payment would be due. Afterwards, I continued to be harrassed and called at least 3 times a day from Clearwire (both automatic telesystem and live caller), I kept telling them I had arrangements, but they continued to call. Frustrated with the way I was being treated and harrassed while I was at work, I decided to cancel services on Sept 4, 2009. That's when I made a one time payment of 205 to cancel. They attained my authorization code for this transaction. On the 5th I recognized they took out the 205 on the 4th, but they also took out $45.44 and then also on 9th they took out an additional $35.44. I called Clearwire once again. They argued the $45.44 was for the month of August. Now remember I had until Sept to make a payment on the August payment per the manager I spoke with in August. And they charged me $10 more than I made payments of $35 every month. They claimed the $35.44 was for the month of Sept, since they havent recieved the equipment back. And when they do get my equipment back, I will be refunded the $35.44. On 5th of Sept. I recieved labels to return the items, on Tuesday after the holiday which was Sept 7th. I called clearwire to confirm which equipment to send back since they only sent one label. The young man told me the small grey box in which the computer and phone is hooked into. I asked about the Black small tower with clearwire on it and he said I only needed to send the small one back. So that 's what I sent on Sept 8th. I called Sept 10 to see if they had on file the tracking and when they'd expect to recieve my equipment via UPS. The young lady told me Sat Sept 12, 2009. So I called Tuesday Sept 15th to inquire on my refund and they tell me they didnt get all of the equipment back, I told them they only sent one label. The young lady apologized and sent another label. Once I recieved the 2nd label I sent the Black router with clearwire on it back to them. Today Sept 30th I call to check on my refund and I am informed that because they didnt get my equipment back within 10days of my cancellation, I would not be refunded the $35.44. So I then asked to talked to a manager, the manager called me back about 2hrs later. He told me, that I sent back the one equipment first, the one I paid for, and that they just got the main equipment back and that it was after 10days that I got sent it after the 1st label was sent to me. I am out of $80.88 for two months of payments in which I didnt even have the services, that I didnt authorized them to take the payments of in the first place. I only authorized $205 cancellation fee to come off of this particular credit card in which they did not have my account on file for. Plus I was lied to. I cancelled the compromised credit card and got another one, in fear that I would become victim as many clearwire customers of continued charges after I paid the cancellation fee. Please help. This is ridiculous and they must be stopped.

• Fr
    frustratedisME Mar 11, 2011

Whatever you do...do NOT go with Clear internet service! Beware! When I originally signed up, I signed up at a Best Buy location that had a clear booth set up. The service rep told me I had a one year contract, and I would "lease" the modem for one year. Now I am trying to cancel my service, and they tell me that my contract was TWO years (if it was I never would have agreed to it because the lease on my apartment was only one year) and for me to cancel my service, they want me to return the modem to them AND charge me a $40 restocking fee! And all the while when I am trying to cancel my service, the lady is trying for 10 minutes to keep me from cancelling, but being extremely rude and pushy about it. Then she tells me that if I can get someone to take over my service they will give me a giftcard, and starts offering me all these sales and deals on keeping my service?? Hmmm, ya, they didn't offer me any "deals" when I had called technical support over a dozen times the past 12 months when my internet was down because of their crappy service and poor signal. Almost DAILY my service drops, and I cannot even tell you how many times I have had to have them "reset" my modem. But amazingly, when I called to cancel today, and I told them that I haven't been happy with clear since I got it, now they want to run all kinds of tests, and troubleshoot how to make it faster! Where has all this sense of urgency and initiative been the past year when I had no service!!! Oh and not to mention it took them 5 months to change my phone number in the system, because everytime I called, the automated system could never find me. If you want a reliable internet provider, this is NOT the one for you. Most of my friends and family that had clear before, don't have it anymore because of the slow speeds. Not only that, but the reps are extremely rude and pushy, and I don't think they recieve any sort of customer service training on ettiquette before they take calls from people. Spend the extra $10 a month and use your cable service provider, or ATT or CenturyLink, if your from Vegas. I wish I had!!! Guess I will suck it up and pay the stupid $40 restocking fee for some idiot to take it out of the box and ship it to someone else and say its "new" ...:(

• Fr
    frustratedisME Mar 16, 2011

Whatever you do…do NOT go with Clear internet service! Beware! When I originally signed up, I signed up at a Best Buy location that had a clear booth set up. The service rep told me I had a one year contract, and I would “lease” the modem for one year. Now I am trying to cancel my service, and they tell me that my contract was TWO years (if it was I never would have agreed to it because the lease on my apartment was only one year) and for me to cancel my service, they want me to return the modem to them AND charge me a $40 restocking fee! And all the while when I am trying to cancel my service, the lady is trying for 10 minutes to keep me from cancelling, but being extremely rude and pushy about it. Then she tells me that if I can get someone to take over my service they will give me a giftcard, and starts offering me all these sales and deals on keeping my service?? Hmmm, ya, they didn’t offer me any “deals” when I had called technical support over a dozen times the past 12 months when my internet was down because of their crappy service and poor signal. Almost DAILY my service drops, and I cannot even tell you how many times I have had to have them “reset” my modem. But amazingly, when I called to cancel today, and I told them that I haven’t been happy with clear since I got it, now they want to run all kinds of tests, and troubleshoot how to make it faster! Where has all this sense of urgency and initiative been the past year when I had no service!!! Oh and not to mention it took them 5 months to change my phone number in the system, because everytime I called, the automated system could never find me. If you want a reliable internet provider, this is NOT the one for you. Most of my friends and family that had clear before, don’t have it anymore because of the slow speeds. Not only that, but the reps are extremely rude and pushy, and I don’t think they receive any sort of customer service training on etiquette before they take calls from people. Spend the extra $10 a month and use your cable service provider, or ATT or CenturyLink, if your from Vegas. I wish I had!!! Guess I will suck it up and pay the stupid $40 restocking fee for some idiot to take it out of the box and ship it to someone else and say its “new” …:(

• Da
    dang m Apr 08, 2011

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/17/Internet.pdf Go to this site to read about the law suit against CLEAR... And yes Clear is no good...

overcharging and harassment

I didn't realize I was signing up for 2 years. Then, if you miss a payment, they call you and speak to you 3 and 4 times a day. This is harassment and illegal as far as I know.

• Wh
    Whiner May 24, 2009

How did you not realize that you were signing up for a two-year contract?

• 5y
    5yrplan Jun 05, 2009

Clearwire is full of unskilled people who barely make above $12 an hour. Most of them didn't even get a pay raise this year. Do you really think they are going to work hard on your issues? Do you think they really care? They are overworked as it is. It is not their fault you didn't read what you were agreeing to. You should have done some research. It is all over the internet that Clearwire's service is bad. Now you are stuck unless you pay that early termination fee. Good luck

Won't cancel service and submits us to debt collector

Please pass this on. Clearwire must suffer the consequences of their nasty, dirty and disgusting action...

cancellation problems

In August of 2008 I had enough of paying clearwire for "High-Speed" internet that was not high-speed, so I...

Scam, Fraud

I moved 10 miles and cannot get clearwire service. I was told verbally my entire valley was covered. Now they want me to pay early cancellation fee or $165. This is a complete scam. I was lied to.

I talked to their account services dept who told me to run an ad in Craigslist to find someone to take over my account. She didn't have all the info of how this was done. I'm afraid I don't feel like I should be their extended sales arm.

I used their live chat and was told no supervisor was available I was talking to the wrong dept. Live chat is customer care but cannot help with accounts. Both people were like robots just spewing out pleasant comments but could give no answers other than quoting policy and yada yada.

Their service sucks too. I'm now on Qwest and am remembering how the internet can really be faster at home.

Clearwire needs to be put out of business.

• Un
    unhappymom Mar 11, 2009

Wow another person with the Craiglist junk. When we moved out of state they wanted us to sell the account on Craiglist as well. Even after telling them TEN MILLION times that we have no time and energy to deal with this (since we're moving from east coast to west coast with three children under three in a few weeks) and also it's NOT our freakin' job but THEIRS to sell their product (otherwise we want to get their paycheck of course)- they refused to send the sticker/label for mailing the modem in. This godless game went on for weeks with them. Now, even after we finally got to mail the modem back, they harrass us day and night (they say we owe money, several months' worth of monthly fees since we have not sent the discontinuation fees yet. Indeed we have not - simply because we can't! They won't send a physical bill about it and we won't pay over the phone because we've heard of people who got burned by paying over the phone, with Clearwire taking off extra charges from their card. )
    So the battle goes on...I am so sorry and so glad at the same time that we're not the only ones dealing with this crppola.

• We
    WendyStone Aug 06, 2009

Signed up for Clear wire. Terrible static on phone. After multiple calls and contact, problem unresolved, I considered the contract breeched and cancelled service, gave 30 days notice. Now they are demanding over $200. for the contract. Outrageous. Service was never delivered and they refused to take action and correct the problem. Clear Wire is trying to charge me for terminating an unacceptable service. NOT. Told them to sue me.

Horrible, horrible service and they don't care

A year and a half of Hell. We wanted out of our contract early on because our service was inconsistent. Then...

Hidden charges

Please be aware of hidden charges!
I cancelled my service due to inability to use a wireless PC Card outside the city (they do not offer coverage in majority of Texas), and agreed to the early cancelation fee ($200).
I cancelled the service on August 6th, and I was charged for another month of service on August 7th. Now the customer service tells me that they will not refund this charge because the equipment was not received in 7 days from the date of cancellation. What I have been told at the time of cancellation is that I have 10 days to return the PC Card from the date Clearwire sends me the return label.

Just stay away from this company! Poor customer service and limited coverage areas!

• Vi
    victoria rodriguez Oct 08, 2008

unfortunately, i am going to the same exact, painful process in attempting to cancel my services with clearwire. i have attempted to cancel my services 6 TIMES!!! AND, i was told when i signed up, not to worry, not signing a contract! i signed up at one of the Best Buy stores, and yes, it is true that i didnt read the agreement. i took the sales agent's word. Big big mistake! read it, dont worry about making another customer wait. so when i tried to cancel, they generously gave me the option of passing the buck to somoene else to that i would not pay the $200.00 early cancellation fee! no thanks, if i wasnt happy with the lack of internet access, i sure as hell am not gonna ask someone else to do that. I HATE THIS ORGANIZATION. They harrass me every single time i call to cancel. they suck! i have at&t wireless service now, and so far so good. DO NOT GO WITH CLEARWIRE, YOU WILL REGRET IT BIG TIME!!!

Refused to Cancel Service

I had clearwire for 2 years, thats the contracted time. Service was marginal at best as I was on the fringes of their tower area. A month after the contract was up, I took the box back to the place where I originally signed up. They informed me that they no longer did business with Clearwire. Imagine that... They told me where the main office was in my town. I drove there the first day I had off. 9:30 Friday morning and the office was closed and no indication of what their office hours were. I called them and told them I wanted to cancel, got the run around but eventually said ok. Next week during lunch hour I again went to office to return their box. The employee said they only returned boxes to clearwire every 2 weeks. I was not sure why I would care, but was soon to find out. She called a Clearwire representative, who talked for a while then told me I would have to talk to another representative to cancel. She grilled me for some time, then informed me that I would have to wait until they mailed me a return mailer then I was to send the box to them. I told her I would just as soon leave it with the Clearwire office that I was standing in. NO, it was for my own protection to mail it in. The local people could not be trusted... Imagine that... Eventually I left the box and the representative still on the phone with the local office and walked out. I will deal with the auto payments thru my bank. They said they are used to doing transfer denials for Clearwire... Imagine that...

NEVER AGAIN...

Chad M Apr 28, 2009

Thought you should be aware of this new complaint filed against Clearwire: http://tzlegal.com/clearwire.asp

Contact these attorneys to join the class action.

Chad Minnick
    Seattle, WA

Clearwire Deceptive Practice

I subscribed to Clearwire Wireless Internet service in February 2008. There was trouble from the getgo...

Deceptive business practices!

Clearwire - www.clearwire.com

After 16 months with Clearwire I tried to cancel my service they told me I had to pay for early cancellation fees. I informed them I had already kept it for a year like I had signed up for, they told me that since I had not cancelled on my anniversary date they automatically extended my contract for another year, claiming they had sent me a card which I don't remember ever getting. I never received a bill because it was all done on the computer and taken out of my account automatically, after getting no where with supervisors on three separate occasion I closed the account so they could not take the amount automatically without me seeing what the charges we're for I've asked for a itemized bill which I have not received. I do not see how a business can sign you up for one year and then extend your contract without talking directly to you. I know of no other business that does this cell phones, dish, Direct TV Charter Cable Ive had them all and never had this problem.

• Ka
    Katherine Bratcher Mar 22, 2009

I agree that Clearwire is using deceptive practices. My problem is with technical support. They expect me to be the Webmaster and will not send anyone to work on, or replace the rented equipment. They prefer to tell me how to fix it by phone and that takes 2 - 3 hours.

As for billing...they use paperless billing. You did the right thing by closing your account. However, before doing that you should have gone online and gotten a copy of your statement. For that matter, maybe you still can. Anyway, as a rule, they allow you to view and print current and past bills. good luck

Lease is completed - won't cancel!

I completed my lease, per terms of service in spite of speed below dial up during 1/2 of one-year contract, multiple service interruptions (that were not documented in spite of my reports), difficulty in getting a truck roll, rude and condescending customer service representatives, "premium" service with anti-virus software they claimed they developed (Authenium is the developer), I can't even begin to itemize the list of misrepresentations and failures they have made. But now I have completed my contract and they have RENEWED it without my consent - which means they can charge my bank account and apply an new and higher early termination fee. I have made ten calls to customer service to cancel - all of them have send the company sent an email notifying me of this renewal and it must be in my spam folder - which it is not. When I inform them of this FACT - they tell me their terms of service allow this automatic renewal - which it does not. I have returned my leased modem, I made arrangements to obtain UPS labels 6 days before the lease end date, received them 4 days before the lease end date, packed my modem the day of the lease end date, sent it in hours after the lease ended, and I still cannot terminate the contract renewal. I filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General Office. Do not deal with company, not only do they not provide service as promised, but they use illegal business practices.

• Ko
    Koley Horton Nov 01, 2007

I sponsored a petition for Clearwire to waive termination fees to unsatisfied customers. Please sign and forward if you support.

• Ka
    karl lutz Dec 27, 2007

I consider myself a smart business man, but this company has "stolen" money from me the same way by charging me a $180 termination fee even though I have had there service over my 2 year term. Their service started out OK but finally would not do better then regular dialup. Their tech help could not correct the situation. But I knew I had a contract to complete and I did. But they automaticly renewed and now I owe another $180. It is hard to scam me but they did. I HATE THIS COMPANY. I am not done with them.

• Am
    Amy Carnes Jan 07, 2008

I had the same thing happen to us. We were moving and did not want to continue with their SLOW service. We had completed our contract and not renewed so it should not have been a problem. When we called we were informed that they had sent us a letter reminding us of the renewal... they had NOT... but they said even so they are allowed to "just renew". Today my husband called to cancel because we are up for renewal on March 1st and was told that we had to call 30 days out. Obviously it is almost 2 months out right now but they said he has to call back EXACTLY 30 days out or pay $180 fee. These people are crazy. I am searching for the right agency to file a complaint with. DO NOT DO BUSINES WITH THEM- SLOW & EXPENSIVE!

• Pe
    Peter Johnson Apr 02, 2008

Complain to your state's Consumer Protection office, that's what I did. Clearwire claimed that they auto renewed my contract, and they said that I had to pay a $200 early termination fee. I was never notified and I did not renew my contract, so I went to the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection and told them about the auto renewal. A few weeks later, my termination fee is waived and the issue was resolved with pressure from the state.

• Ai
    Airmaxed Sep 07, 2009

I was scammed by a clearwire rep at the mall, where I thought I purchased a modem. The rep asked did I want to pay 100 dollars now, or over the next 20 months, I said 20 months, he informed me my bill would decrease five dollars a month after the 20 months.

When I complained about substandard service, I also asked them about my modem should be paid for by now, they informed me that I was leasing the modem,

So I have 2 months left, and I know that there are better bargains for broadband, I don't think that 3 to 5 kbps at 24 dollars a month is any kind of deal. Not when 40 a month with another carrier can get you 4mbs

The FCC is investigating practices with telcos, and I hope Clearwire is on there agenda.

Clearwire believes World Of Warcraft is abuse of their system!

I signed up for Clearwire 6 months ago. A month ago my friend invited me to play WOW. I purchased the game and began playing. The game bogged down and the connection speed was worse than dial up service.

I called to speak with Clearwire and was informed that they don't support gaming. I asked to be released from my contract since it was not something they advised at the signing. They stated that my lawyer should have covered their terms and conditions with me before I signed their online form.

No where on their site does it clearly state that they don't support gaming. The only thing they show you is that you can not abuse their system with streaming video and audio. I use more bandwidth downloading a movie on Itunes than when I play WOW for an hour.

I understand their system may not work well with games but they should allow people to cancel the subscription for a service they can not provide. That statement on their terms could be said of any usage online.

I will not renew nor will I ever tell anyone that Clearwire is worth signing with for any length of time.

Joe Arellano Sep 06, 2007

Mr. Hannah,

I had sent you an email via the complains board website. If you can, please read it, as I would like to discuss your concern further. Thank you!

Shawn Sep 12, 2007

Did you read the terms of service when you signed the contract? The company does not support games because of the latency. Online games already have a latency and so does WiFi/wireless with both Wireless and gaming together there's even more latency. How can a company solve your gaming issues? It's called customer research before you sign a contract for 1 year or 2 years you should do your research about internet service what it does or can do for you and what it can't. Just because you can't play some lame game over the service doesn't mean you should be out of your contract. You weren't playing WoW for 6 months after you signed up and started using the service you said so yourself. So all the sudden you jump into gaming and expect your wireless service to comply... When I got my small sports car I wasn't into car audio, now that I am and all my audio gear doesn't fit in the car am I supposed to ask the dealership to take the car back and not owe them another dime?

I swear there's a lot of whiners on here for no reason, you guys are crying over things not even within clearwire's control but your own control and expect a company thats in the business to make money comply with your whims. Get real, economy doesn't work that way, take a few classes in economics and then post the same complaint.

• Ci
    Cindy Sep 19, 2007

I have only been a Clearwire customer for a few weeks. What a SCAM. They have very deceptive advertising and their sales rep lied about their service. I was with a cable ISP which was lightening fast. They said their service was faster and the quality was better. I can't stay connected for any length of time and what took my high school student to do in one hour now takes three. WORD OF MOUTH speaks loud and clear and you can better believe I will spread the WORD. Have you thought about filing you complaint with the Better Business Bureau or the Federal Trade Commission.

Jason Floyd Dec 03, 2008

I actually have the same problem with online games - Clearwire is basically useless.

The line that sold me to sign up for CLearwire? A press release that stated "Gamers love it because of the low ping times and low latency connection. "

This was all over in press releases when I signed up but good luck finding it now - I could only find one cached copy on google.

• Ry
    Ryan21cwsux Jul 31, 2009

I fully agree with this clearwire crap. I am playing World of warcraft and just recently I am getting frequent disconnects from the server (Only playing wow). The madness about all this is, I fully agree. They are remotley freezing up my modem because I am abusing their network.

• Jb
    jberan Jul 12, 2010

When I signed up for Clear I was told directly by the sales person that the service type I selected was great for online gaming and that it was what CLEAR RECOMMENDED for gamers. If they throttle my connection speed during gaming after saying that line, I'd definitely agree we're being spoon fed horse [censor]. I had a DSL connection all of the last two years that couldn't break 1.5 mpbs, but my 6.0 mpbs clear connection can't stay under 400 ms and frequently leaps to over 1200 ms.

All I can say is, Clear should read up about what happened when a different internet service provider tried to limit their customers speeds. Just Google AT&T and CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

For now I haven't lodged any actual complains because I haven't done all the configuring I had previously to make sure WoW runs smoothly, but now that I have if I keep having these problems they'll get an earful from me the same way AT&T did once a week when my 2wire wasn't working.

Worst experience ever!

I have read several of the complaints here and else where on the net. It appears as if I am not the only one having issues with Clearwire. I saw one post discussing lies to investors, I have no doubt that is true. I do not invest but if I did it sure would not be in Clearwire. I wish I had never signed a contract with them. The product simply does not work and I was better off with my old service.

A friend of mine convinced me and 5 good buddies to switch to Clearwire for faster better service. That was dumb! I could not keep a connection, when I did have a connection I felt like I was on dial up waiting for downloads. Their customer service reps act like it is not their fault and too bad. In my opinion if you sell me a service I expect service! If you cannot provide it, then it is your fault!

I spoke to my buddies and they are all having the same problems, worse the guy that recommended it to us switched to Comcast two months ago! Needles to say I am pretty upset! I decided to make arrangements to go with another provider. I have also decided that I am not going to pay Clearwire for my last months of no service, or the cancellation charges! They can go fly a kite!

All of my friends have decided to do the same!

• Co
    Colleen Priestner Jun 12, 2007

I have had about 2 weeks of nothing but a royal pain in the ### with clearwire. Clearwire has trapped me in my contract until Feb. of '09... that is false because I signed up in Oct. of '09 and I am fighting it as we speak. The few things that I have done already is... I got the print out of my bank statements, the invoice print out straight from my account with clearwire. I have notified the Better Business Bureau. They are sending me complaint forms so that I can file a complaint about the action that you took to trap me and the no action that I am seeing about you guys figuring this ### issue that I have with you. Last but not least... I have a lawyer whom I am going to seek legal advise or even legal action against clearwire. I know lots of people and I am warning everyone not to get clearwire. The other thing that I found from the Better Business Bureau is that clearwire has had thousands of complaints from customers who have gotten trapped in their contracts. Why!!! Why are you doing this to people... Why? I am one very very pissed off costumer as well as many others who you have screwed. Thanks a whole bunch! I am going to continue fighting this and I will win someday soon.

• In
    Infotainment Jun 29, 2007

Same story over here. They lured us into a 2-year contract, although we even do not live within their coverage area. This, of course, we only found out after we had signed up and went on their coverage maps. Hence, one can only imagine how bad the service is. Even dial-up is lightning-fast, compared to that slow, snail-speed crap - if it works at all. About 50% of the time, we cannot access the Internet at all. If we can, there are about 50% of all packets lost when doing a ping. for this, we are paying good money every month. When complaining to them that they actually shouldn't have taken us, since we are not covered, they just "shrugged their shoulders"; when telling them we wanted to quit, they immediately threatened us with having to pay the "modem fee" of $300 as well as an early quitting fee of $180. To us, this company is nothing but a bunch of criminals. We can't wait until the contract runs out, and even here, we need to beware not to get entangled in one of their traps. Why is it that such guys can do their dirty business, everybody knows about it, but no one can do anything about it?

Shawn Sep 12, 2007

You do know celphones didn't work well when they came out right? Hell celphones still barely work in some areas...can you hear me now?...good...

This technology is relatively new to the national public, so of course some people will experience poor service over other in better suited areas. That's the nature of technology, I'd suggest doing a little research before signing a contract next time you want to jump into something.

Unfair billing practices

I have been a Clearwire customer for almost a year now and I have been happy with the service. Recently, my apartment was burglarized and in addition to having my personal things taken, my Clearwire modem was also stolen. I called the company and asked them what I should do. The first time I called the representative that I spoke with was very unhelpful. She told me that it didn’t matter how I lost the modem; I would have to pay for the modem plus the cost to suspend or terminate the service. After telling the lady repeatedly that I was burglarized and that it wasn't my fault, I asked to speak with her manager. She would not put me in contact with her manager and told me that I could either pay for a replacement modem and/or pay the disconnect and early termination fee.

A few days later I got in contact with Clearwire's retention department and I was told to fax my copy of the police report to their department. Later I received an email saying that a new modem would be shipped to my house.

When the modem came I hooked it up but there was no signal. I called Clearwire and they told me that I would have to pay $100 to turn the modem on. At the time when I sent the retention department did not tell me that I would have to $100 to turn the modem on.

I am very upset with Clearwire. I was violated and victimized when my apartment was robbed and I feel like Clearwire is victimizing me again. I could understand paying the $100 fee if I was at fault for losing the modem, but I was not.

The company has refused to refund me the $100 even though I did not lose the modem.

• Po
    poppy12 Apr 07, 2007

I got ripped off by the Clearwire Scam also. My connection is slower than dial-up and the company has no service to customers. My computer was infected with virus's, my ports have been blocked, emails lost, and a whole host of problems. Clearwire is UNUSABLE in Jacksonville FL.

Antonio Diaz Apr 23, 2007

I have been a clearwire customer for 18 mo now. Their service no always reliable but i suck with it. When i sign up i was told that i had a 1 year contract. There was no paperwork involved just a screen where you can click on the "i agree to terms". In fact back then they did not even have a "print this page" option and you you could not just print the screen shot because in was a small window with the fine print and it was scrolling.

Any ways 2 months ago i switched my phone system to a voip system (voice over internet protocol) and it was not working properly. The reason was because clearwire blocks their ports on purpose so that you use their own property viop service. They said that they could not unblock them. After repeated attempts with their tech support a was told that their was nothing they can do. So because i was already 18 months into my one year contract i decided to cancel. I was told that i would have to pay an early cancellation fee because the one year contract automatically renews ever year. So i told them that it is essentially a infinity year contract then. They were very unhelpful even the managers. They would not return the call like they promised and they where down right rude.

Even though i canceled service with them they would not sent me a shipping label like they had promised so that i could send back the modem. So i took the modem back to the local office and they also refused it. I called the local office and the manager said he would take it if i bought it back to him personally. So i did. Meanwhile clearwire's would continue to call me up to 3 time a day even though a asked them to stop calling me. Then a 3rd parting billing company started calling 2 times a day even though i asked them to stop calling me. I asked them to send be a bill and they said that they do not offer that service and that all billing is paid with credit cards only. They continue to bill my credit card even two months after i returned the modem and i am not even using their service. I have had to start an investigation process with my credit card company to get that money back. I think this type of business practice is a scam... I will never use their service again.

• Ca
    carlos Jun 11, 2007

Ahh, it WAS your fault. Whether or not you physically lost the modem or not, it was in your possession, and your responsibility! If you bought a car and it got stolen, would you ask the dealership for a new one? Because it wasn't "your fault" ??? NO!!!

Shawn Sep 12, 2007

So you expect a company to pay for you being robbed? It's not the companies fault either that you were robbed. You should have had insurance that covers things like burglary and buy the modem to continue your service or cancel and use the same money and pay the ETF. There's nothing wrong with the way Clearwire handled it, just because they are a big company doesn't mean they can just give away free equipment because of your misfortune.

• Ae
    AEB Feb 25, 2008

I have been a Clearwire customer for two years. Generally I have been satisfied although I have not really needed to use Clearwire's customer service. Recently, I have found that I have not been receiving all of my emails from other web sites. These are from multiple domains which if I redirect to my online Yahoo email - all are received properly. I directly use the Clearwire's email website and so it had nothing to do with my local machine. Yet, after explaining at exhaution, their customer service through multiple people they blame the user and makes the user responsible for their clear defect. There is something wrong with this ISP provider lately. The have issues and are keeping them to themselves. Horrible service response and they don't listen, particularly when customers are losing important data/emails.

Looking for other ISP options.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices